• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
So recently Batman Beyond the complete series dropped on Blu-Ray, I couldn't resist and scored a cheap copy of the boxset on eBay from someone who literally only wanted the collectible figurine.

I largely missed out on Batman: The Animated Series when I was younger (caught up now, LTTP thread - https://www.resetera.com/threads/lttp-batman-the-animated-series.111976/) but I do remember Batman Beyond which was shown here in the UK on Toonami by Cartoon Network. I watched infrequently, as at the the time I was more taken by Dragonball Z and Gundam Wing, which had both exploded in popularity in the UK with their debuts here.

The first thing that comes to mind upon rewatching is how dark the series is, Batman TAS is considered dark for a mid-90s cartoon show but Beyond goes further right off the Bat (pun absolutely and totally intended), starting with Terry's father getting brutally murdered in the opening episode and another character dying horrible and painful death after being exposed to an experimental nerve gas chemical weapon. Batman TAS managed to keep an almost zero body count save for the movies, but Beyond regularly has characters killed off for various reasons, with the deaths being heavily implied rather than shown onscreen to avoid drawing the ire of the censors.

Also speaking of death, this time we are greeted with a Batman who does definitely kill either directly or indirectly, he memorably tosses one of Ra's Al Ghul's henchmen into a pit filled with ravenous crocodiles and personally kills the Terrible Trio. Though that said plenty of villains bring about their own demise by having their various schemes backfire on them fatally.

The series also deals with things like addiction for instance the episode "The Winning Edge" as it showcases the effects of withdrawal on kids Terry's own age as they turn to using Venom in a narcotic like form to give them the edge on the school sports team. Also Bane himself is a husk on life support after years of Venom use has destroyed his body, he is no longer the fire threat he once was.

I'm going to update this thread periodically as I binge watch, over to you now, ERA.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Even considering the creative forces behind it, Beyond was waaaaaay better than it had any right to be. "Batman but he's in high school and in the future" could've and probably would've gone completely sideways under anyone else, but Timm/Dini/Romano etc. nailed it.

Shoutouts to the eggbaby episode

latest

Oct 28, 2017
I never got the future iterations of comic characters like Spider Man/XMen/etc 2099 and Batman Beyond. Terry was not the stealth ninja detective Bruce was and that was Batman for me. Terry was a street tough with a heart of gold and a high powered suit with no actual crime fighting skills. He should have died day 1. The JLU epilogue was a fitting end to Terry's story.

In the end I dont like when things are different.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Loved this series, always wanted to see more of it. Especially as an arkham game but we never had that opportunity. That intro is amazing btw.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Even considering the creative forces behind it, Beyond was waaaaaay better than it had any right to be. "Batman but he's in high school and in the future" could've and probably would've gone completely sideways under anyone else, but Timm/Dini/Romano etc. nailed it.

Shoutouts to the eggbaby episode

latest

The series definitely punches above it's weight, it could have easily been terrible, but ended up being very good.

I never got the future iterations of comic characters like Spider Man/XMen/etc 2099 and Batman Beyond. Terry was not the stealth ninja detective Bruce was and that was Batman for me. Terry was a street tough with a heart of gold and a high powered suit with no actual crime fighting skills. He should have died day 1. The JLU epilogue was a fitting end to Terry's story.

In the end I dont like when things are different.

But that's the whole point, Terry is not Bruce, for one thing he's nowhere near as obsessive for starters.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Loved this series, always wanted to see more of it. Especially as an arkham game but we never had that opportunity. That intro is amazing btw.

it's a damn shame the Beyond suit in Arkham Knight is so bulky looking, I wanted a streamlined look like we got in the series not the armoured piece in game.

Last edited:

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good series, but the first season of Batman Beyond is by far the best, the show kind of loses some direction and grit after that, despite still being a fun watch.

Return of the Joker is excellent, a must watch for any Batman fan.

Last edited:

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy the show but for the premise means Bruce has to completely alienate his other children which I'm not down with for obvious reasons. :P I don't mind it as its own thing, but I'm not really interested in revisiting it in other Batman stories.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
On my rewatch a few years ago I didn't realise just how dark this series was at the time when it came out. It's probably up there with my favourite media of Batman in general.

It's cyberpunk Batman, well acted, well written, well animated, a different take on Batman/Bruce Wayne and really atmospheric. What's not to love?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
A timely reminder of how tv, movie and game producers could not move past Bruce Wayne (and his parents' untimely demise) save the exception(s).