• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Batman 'rerun' continues. Pretty interesting playing through the games chronologically this time, especially after finishing origins a few days ago, which while city is a much less buggy and unpolished game, the story is god awful! I remember it not being remarkable when I played it originally, but this is definitely much worse than I remembered. Basically just batman doing fetch quests for every villain with generally some sort of hokey reasoning to drag you to the next/previous locale. Like what was even the point of the freeze fight here? Why is Bruce such a dick to everyone? Alfred, Tim, Oracle etc.

Boss fights are still kinda sketchy, as with all the rocksteady batmen. I think a main problem is that batman's dodge is just weirdly hokey animation wise and also has a bit more hitbox than you'd think. Never feels that good.

Catwoman stuff is also weird in terms of when it happens? I recall this was a preorder bonus or something, that final mission against 2 face might have been the hardest encounter in this game for me, mostly because you never really do any stealth with her before. Won at the end out of pure luck.

And speaking of women... I know fanservice in games was and still is a thing... but this game feels like its a step above that. Every animation catwoman has is like bayonetta but more ridiculous. That slide! The camera focusing on talia's gyrating ass when you are walking and talking. And they really do enjoy using the word 'bitch' a lot.

Game also seems to drag you along the main story really quick, to the point where I've somehow saw credits before I've finished up a lot of side missions like with bane or deadshot. A bit hard to be motivated to do these afterwards... (Did do the harley dlc... which was fine, and robin is fun to play as... but ppl paid extra money for this?)

On a more positive note, they really did go all out on physx in this game. Like there is stuff everywhere! It's hilarious and pretty entertaining for the most part and unlike origins, doesn't hurt the fps. Had a memorable moment of flow combating with a carpet wrapped around batman.

So while I might come off a bit negative, I still had a good time, enough to basically breeze through it in 2 days. Something about these games are just comfort food equivalent for me to be able to marathon without fatigue, which is rare these days? Having no damage numbers/rpg systems helps. A bit iffy on how gotham knights will end up.

Also fuck these AR flying missions. Impossible (for me).

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
My main criticism of the story is that Talia comes and goes so abruptly that it's jarring.

It has some of the best boss fights in the series though. Mr. Freeze is brilliant in this game.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
This really messed with my head the moment I saw it.

WbJQTYl.png

In any case, Arkham City was solid enough but Asylum had a better realized world, imo. City's open world, despite being pretty will layered, just wasn't as fun to explore. Still a great game though.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're great games. Just finished my Knight replay tonight. For my money it's only real shortcoming is the lack of boss fights, which were so superb in City. I love them. Can't wait to see how Gotham Knight and Suicide Squad turn out. I may finally get around to checking out blackgate too, despite its bad rap.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my replay of Asylum earlier today. About to start City rn and I'm curious how I'll feel about it. When I played it on release I felt the same as you OP, just a completely forgettable experience. I actually don't remember anything about this game really except for a big plot twist so it'll be like I'm playing it fresh šŸ˜‚

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Late to the party.

I've always wondered what that stood for but I've never felt comfortable asking. For months now I've wondered and felt like an idiot but it just clicked. It's fucking late to the party. God

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Always was, AA is still the best Batman game they ever did and with Knight you will be bloated of uninteresting content even more. Gladly the combat is at his peak but other than that, especially if you loved AA challenges too... well, you will be sad playing those Arkhams.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Asylum is still the best Rocksteady Arkham game so eh.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Catwoman was originally this game's version of the Online Pass that all the big publishers were trying out at the time to try and curb used sales. The idea was that if you bought the game new you'd get a code to download Catwoman's levels, but if you bought it used the original owner would already have redeemed the code and you'd have to pay $10 to buy it. I bought Arkham City before the official launch from a store that broke the street date, so the servers to download the Catwoman stuff weren't up yet and I played the game without her for my first playthrough. To be honest you don't really miss much without her; I kind of think the game is better with just Batman.

Arkham City is my favourite game in the series. I think it was the perfect way of building on Arkham Asylum; new combat abilities, cool new gadgets, bossfights that really took the mechanics a step further, and a really nicely done open world. Arkham City is small but dense, just the right size for the speed at which you can get around it. You can fly from one end to the other in like a minute so you never feel like you're just schlepping from one waypoint to another. Origins and Knight both went too big and bloated and just fell into all the old repetitive open world traps.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
The "justification" for the Freeze is dumb and only made worse by him being a more sympathetic character than Batman ever is in the game. I did actually enjoy the story over all though. Even if the ending is undercut by the next game.

The moment to moment gameplay is good but, I actually found the encounter-design to be lacking. Like, the game introduces new enemy types to counter the way that everyone played the first game. Specifically, dudes who can destroy gargoyles, dudes who can jam your Bat-vision, and dudes with exploding collars but, they very rarely put them together. I get that they don't want to make the game too hard but, it was disappointing to see them get soooo close to forcing the player into different play styles without actually doing that.

The other big bummer about the game to me is the riddler trophies because, some of them are actually really clever and require you to use your tools and the enviroment in really creative ways. However, there is no way to sort the list of over 100 trophies into "interesting to get ones" and "just go to the icon to get them ones" so, there is really no point in trying any unless your obsessed with getting all the achievements.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
City will probably always be my favorite entry of the series mostly because of how refined the gameplay felt jumping from Asylum to City. Most of the best combat and predator encounters from the series are here, and Freeze's boss battle remains to be topped. The gameplay basically peaked with this entry and everything afterward focused more on improving the story, presentation, and open world.

My dog had passed away the night I picked it up. Like I literally got home from the store not knowing we'd be at the vet an hour later. I spent the next month just fully throwing myself into this game to take my mind off of it. Comfort food is definitely a great label for it. Asylum is the better game experience, but City is more fun and easy to put a bunch of time into while roaming around rooftops in a city packed with stuff to do with an all star cast of villains.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
"TWO GUNS, BITCH!"

That's what I think of when I think of the writing in City.

EDIT: And these gems

Alfred: So it's the world's greatest detective versus the world's deadliest assassin. Who's going to win?"
Batman: Not him. >:(

Two-Face: Heads or tails, kitty cat?
Catwoman: Which one lets me out of here alive?
Two-Face: *flips coin, it's tail* Not this one >:)

Last edited:

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
The story starts with half the city being turned into a "prison", where bad guys and their thugs can basically roam free. You can't get more stupid than that.

Also, Batman was a huge dick.

The gameplay itself was good, but I much more preferred the tight design of Asylum.

Oh, and fuck the Catwoman ending boss fight with Two Face. The game wants you to do stealth, but at the same time constantly respawns thugs. When I realized that I was pissed and just went straight for the TF and win with just a fraction of life left.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Asylum was always the better game.
and City is better without the Catwoman sections.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Best in the series, way I see it, but I also couldn't care less about the story in any of these.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And speaking of women... I know fanservice in games was and still is a thing... but this game feels like its a step above that. Every animation catwoman has is like bayonetta but more ridiculous. That slide! The camera focusing on talia's gyrating ass when you are walking and talking. And they really do enjoy using the word 'bitch' a lot.

Reminds me of this thread title:

isUsObl.png

The story and Catwoman's writing in general are pretty poor, no getting around that.

I did I Platinum it on the PS4 as well as the PS3 because everything else is so excellent, gameplay, environments, atmosphere. The voice actors are great too.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
I like these games a lot but Rocksteady needs to hire more women and put them in positions of authority.

Like when you compare the character design for Catwoman in Arkham City to The Dark Knight Rises the next year it's clearly possible to do a version of Catwoman that isn't horrifically sexist; they just weren't that interested in it. By the time of Knight it went from awful to completely inexcusable.

Same with Poison Ivy. A problem in the source material, sure, but Jesus christ. Like if you can't convey that a character is supposed to be alluring without removing almost every item of clothing then you're basically being lazy

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I think most people consider City the best in the Arkham series and I can totally understand why. Openly gliding around is really fun, the game has so many iconic villains and the combat is definitely an improvement in just about every way imaginable compared to Asylum. Furthermore, unlike Asylum, City really nails the ending - as far as cape media goes, I think the ending is fairly powerful.

With that being said, I never really liked much. I just didn't like the open world. IMO, the novelty of gliding around real high up wore off quickly, and getting from mission to mission was a slog, as was pretty much all of the side content. Asylum had much tighter pacing and level design. I also hated how lifeless the world felt, the technical limitations were obvious despite a half assed attempt to cover it up with story reasons. Asylum just felt more.. "handcrafted" , if that makes sense.

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of gameplay I have nothing but praise for City. It perhaps wasn't as tightly paced as Asylum because of the open world but everything about the gameplay was better.

Origins was the best in the series though. It had the gameplay of City but unlike City nailed its story.

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of gameplay I have nothing but praise for City. It perhaps wasn't as tightly paced as Asylum because of the open world but everything about the gameplay was better.

Origins was the best in the series though. It had the gameplay of City but unlike City nailed its story.

I wish WB had done something, anything with Origins this generation. I don't understand why it keeps being ignored. It was as deserving of a remaster as Asylum and Origins.

(And, please, remove the terrible multiplayer Trophies...)

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still prefer Asylum for many reasons but damn if it wasn't amazing to finally roam freely as Batman in an AAA game.
The writing was poor and the story was dumb as fuck but it made for a great atmosphere, and for an open world game like that, it counts a lot. I liked that even though it was open world, you still felt trapped in that big dumb prison. Stupid, but I loved it.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I got so sick of traveling 'around' Arkham City. They made it a giant horseshoe so it seemed bigger.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
You're not alone OP and it's my least favorite Arkham game

Even tho yes, it was written by Paul Dini, when I played through it the first time, I couldn't believe how much I didn't care for the story beats

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
So while I might come off a bit negative, I still had a good time, enough to basically breeze through it in 2 days. Something about these games are just comfort food equivalent for me to be able to marathon without fatigue, which is rare these days? Having no damage numbers/rpg systems helps. A bit iffy on how gotham knights will end up.

i'm not sure i've ever heard someone complain more (i mean, 'a bit negative'?) about a game that they, at the same time, also consider to be 'comfort food'. interesting...

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"TWO GUNS, BITCH!"

That's what I think of when I think of the writing in City.

EDIT: And these gems

Alfred: So it's the world's greatest detective versus the world's deadliest assassin. Who's going to win?"
Batman: Not him. >:(

Two-Face: Heads or tails, kitty cat?
Catwoman: Which one lets me out of here alive?
Two-Face: *flips coin, it's tail* Not this one >:)

Watching Batman: The Animated Series with my best friend. He's never seen it, and we just got to the Two-Face episode.
TotalFixedKakarikis-small.gif

I know it's NOT the animated series, but it's really hard to go to the game's story after some of the best writing in the entire franchise's history - that treated its villains not as video game obstacles to pummel but as psychologically damaged people that were in desperate need of help.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I feel like the reviews for City hyped it up as being one of the best games of all time which in hindsight was a bad move. I liked it, but Asylum is better.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Thought the story was fine. Gameplay is where it's at. Though I don't really have any desire to replay any of the games in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
I think City muddied itself by having so many plot points and threads in it. It's hard to tell who is "the main villain"

Is it Hugo Strange?
Is it Ra's?
Is it Joker?

While people rag on how Joker is always the villain of the Arkham games, I genuinely like the fact the Arkham games could basically be seen as an exploration of the relationship of these 2 characters (Batman and Joker).

The problem is because City seemed to want to go "bigger" it lost it's impact. The Clayface twist at the end was so dumb, and while I think Joker's death is poignant I think it would have worked better if he died in Asylum.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
City's the only Arkham game I've only managed to play once and it probably has my least favourite story by quite a long way, except for the ending.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
City's story is too unfocussed and goes off the rails the moment the League of Shadows is introduced. There are too many threads going on and Ra's al Ghul being the puppetmaster greatly, GREATLY reduces Hugo Strange's significance as an antagonist. In the end he was nothing but a sock puppet like Bane in TDKR ended up being. I really hate that twist.

The Clayface twist [including all the little hints sprinkled thoughout the game] is perfectly crafted though.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Watching Batman: The Animated Series with my best friend. He's never seen it, and we just got to the Two-Face episode.
TotalFixedKakarikis-small.gif

I know it's NOT the animated series, but it's really hard to go to the game's story after some of the best writing in the entire franchise's history - that treated its villains not as video game obstacles to pummel but as psychologically damaged people that were in desperate need of help.

I've never understood why people praise the stories of the first two games so much. They're basically Paul Dini on auto-pilot, recycling the same shit he already wrote for previous Batman stories, but with much less nuance. This is why I feel that, while it also has some of the lowest points in the entire series, and is significantly compromised by the even greater focus on the open world structure....Arkham Knight's central story is the most creative of the trilogy. The way so much of the Joker shit uses the unique possibilities of the video game medium is just.... god, I WISH more video games had this kind of storytelling, instead of leaning so heavily on non-interactive cutscenes.

And as for Origins? From what I have seen of it's story, it probably is much better than any of Rocksteady's game's on the whole, even if it's told mostly with those aformentioned non-interactive cutscenes. Shame I'll never be able to play Origins the whole way through, cause it will never be patched. And after my save file got permanently corrupted within the first hour of gameplay, I asked for a Steam refund. Fuck Warner Brothers for forcing the development team to immediately start working on DLC instead of fixing this shit.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
City's story was pure popcorn with bombastic gadget-driven boss fights (except for Freeze, who was just *chef's kiss*
What I loved about it was the refinement of metroidvania formula, and really fun progression system of challenges merged with Riddler's story. The open-world missions were fun, and there weren't so many of them as to get distracting.

Imho, City is just the best overall package, but it doesn't really shine in one particular thing, except refining the gameplay of Asylum. More combat moves and more gadgets, and the most polished (Knight just had too much bloat (those goddamn outposts) for me to really love it).

And yeah, Batman as a character sucks in both City and Knight.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I like city more than asylum tbh

People hype up Asylum's level designs and while it's decent, it's not like city's design is awful in comparison

It's not a metroidvania at all since all the secrets you can return to are just dumb riddler shit

all in all, City is the best one because of all the improvements

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah it's basically entirely what is making me unsure about Halo Infinites story as its the same writer. City didn't have a good story, like at all imo. But maybe it can still work?

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the story was bad then, and it's bad now. I absolutely hate Bruce's characterization in the game. I pretty much only played the Arkham games for the melee gameplay and tried to pay attention to the story as little as possible.

I was so excited to be able to play as Catwoman, and then this is what I got. Utterly terrible.