• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
In the wake of the latest Ubisoft controversy this might seem like a weird thing to do, but I've recently started a massive AC binge. The personal reason is simple, this, at some point was one of my favorite franchises ever so I decided to revisit all of them with the principal scope to do a whole bunch of detailed game design content on my design YouTube Channel, starting with AC1.

So I am not going to talk about core loops, mechanics, mission design, or any of the like on this thread. If you are interested in hearing my thoughts about that you can, if you want, check out my 1h long examination of this game here:

What I will talk about in this thread relates to feelings. What were my feelings at the time of release and how I feel getting back to it.

Now, I will be quite blunt, please refrain from mentioning how things with the series would have been better if the original creative director would have stayed. While not engaging in physical abuse, I have heard enough stories from different people while working at Ubisoft to know that, at the time of working at Ubi don't know what he would be like now, he was more than very toxic. Hope he has changed, but in the context of old AC, let's not idolize.

So I played AC1 in 2008 when it was first released on PC, I was 17, and it became one of my favorites of all time. It was incredibly impactful for 3 reasons:
1) It helped me put in words my political feelings that I already found true at the time.
2) Thanks to the Creed, Nothing is true everyhing is permitted, I managed to find peace in being an atheist in a very orthodox environment - my classmates would constantly try to prove me wrong, I would try to do the same, but it was the first step of understanding that it is all about personal choices and their consequences and that has helped to make both me and my classmates accept each others beliefs.
3) I decided that I want to work at Ubisoft, it became my dream.

I successfuly achieved it, btw. I have left this year to work on smaller scale mobile games, but I worked at Ubi for 6 years, been a designer for two Trials games, the Lead Game Designer for Trials Rising and one of Lead GDs for Watch Dogs Legion. Great times.

So in the context of all that, getting back to AC1 has felt bittersweet. Because I have the knowledge that so many people have made it what it is and yet what everybody talks about is a single name that might not even deserve it. And also the fact that some people, like AC1's game director, would engage in physical abuse in the future (said game director is the same person who would choke a woman in front of everyone).

And it's sad to know that these people are related to what is still one of the most interesting, unique, as well as deepest games out there.

AC1 was very brave for its time. Arab protagonist, calling Jesus a fraud, people - gullible. It was all under the veil of a thousand year conspiracy theory which has allowed it to avoid being a target as people could just say "hurr durr magic sci fi ball", but thematically there is so much going on there.

This was also a game that was supposed to be designed around fully HUDless play. I have discovered this fact through analysis while having my 3rd play through of it, but in the future would get official confirmation.

So many things change if you play without a HUD. You learn the environment, what rafiqs tell you is not useless info but necessary as there are no icons, you find missions through visual and audio clues... it is not perfect, so I wouldn't suggest a 1st playthrough to be HUDless, but it is still great. (Mind you, AC1 for PCs adds some new missions that aren't playable with no HUD since those principles weren't followed anymore)

This is also a game that tried to define a trend rather than follow it. Ever since AC2 the series would gradually go into "follow trends" territory, but damn AC1, especially hudless, feels like how modern open world Hitman would. And there was just so much new technology - the crowds, the fully parkourable cities.

And all this coming from an AAA company. The experiment, the messages, the philosophy.

Assassin's Creed now misses a lot of those things. I think the new games are still worthy titles on plenty of levels, but they don't try to change the gaming world as much.

Going back to Assassin's Creed 1 has reminded me of WHY I want to make games more so than any of the later parts of the franchise would.

And I realized that if an AC1 remaster/remake is ever going to appear, it is not going to conserve all the things that made this game unique. The wonderful relative simplicity of focusing mostly on the job of being an Assassin, few weapons, few quests but all focused on a particular thematic. It would receive a home base that you have to upgrade, tons of missions, things that don't... matter.

And maybe even retcons in Modern Day, who knows. As while MD in AC1 is boring from the angle of gameplay, it is really interesting. It does set up an end of the world - but metaphorical, when Templars would take control by using a satellite with the Apple December 21st 2012 - ultimate win for order and control. Ever since this plotline really didn't matter, AC has become about cosmic dangers and it's just not the same.

Going back to Assassin's Creed 1 has made me realize that it's a game that the current Ubisoft management would never agree to make in its current form. Also would probably be forced to get NFTs or something.

Anyway, Assassin's Creed 1 is really unique, and if you think it was repetitive, yeah I get you BUT I suggest you to try and play it without HUD. Will change your view, guarantee it.

What are your feelings about this first game of a massive franchise?

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
I loved the first Assassin's Creed. I hate the direction AC has gone to be honest.

I felt immersed in the world, I was really eager to see how the story unfolded and and it really felt stealthy in those narrow city streets. Every mission i did was like another part of the puzzle, I genuinely was interested to see how everything developed. I still was until they released AC3 and I stopped caring.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I've met Patrice several times and never encountered anyone but a delightful human being. What are you on about, OP?

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
AC1 was a very special experience, there's never been anything quite like it since. It's still one of the most impressive games ever from a technical perspective imo, the buildings still looks amazing, and it's probably the episode that gives me the most intense feeling of vertigo when doing a leap of faith.

I've met Patrice several times and never encountered anyone but a delightful human being. What are you on about, OP?
Ah, that's settled then, thanks to your personal anecdote. I know people who have only had good interactions with David Cage, so he must be a great guy, huh?

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
AC1 was a very special experience, there's never been anything quite like it since. It's still one of the most impressive games ever from a technical perspective imo, the building still looks amazing, and it's probably the episode that gives me the most intense feeling of vertigo when doing a leap of faith.

Ah, that's settled then, thanks to your personal anecdote. I know people who have only had good interactions with David Cage, so he must be a great guy, huh?
You realize, by your logic, the reverse is true, yes?

Like...you see what YOU did, right?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I love the franchise and its continuing evolution it has undergone since the first one. Currently playing the France DLC in Valhalla, I saved it for now so I had something to play over Christmas as I traditionally play Assassin's Creed over Christmas period. I am disappointed there was no new title this year and looking like the same next year but at least I have something next year to play in the dlc.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You realize, by your logic, the reverse is true, yes?
You're replying to a guy who worked at Ubisoft for years and heard accounts directly from employees who had to work with him. Who are you?
You also realize that having a good experience with a person doesn't prevent said person to be an asshole with other people?
I'll stop here, but congrats, nice fucking derail

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021

Do you remember the huge list of abusers and toxic leads that was revealed last year? All interactions I have had with a bunch of them were nothing but delightful as well. With good public image too.

Not being the person who worked with Patrice directly (I came to the studio long after he left) it wouldn't be appropriate for me to tell the stories I have heard since they would be going through several hands that way and potentially twisted in details due to that. Just want to warn to not idolize some people as it's a topic that frequently comes up when AC is concerned.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
You're replying to a guy who worked at Ubisoft for years and heard accounts directly from employees who had to work with him. Who are you?
You also realize that having a good experience with a person doesn't prevent said person to be an asshole with other people?
I'll stop here, but congrats, nice fucking derail
I've spent years in the game industry myself, including time at the Ubi SF campus. Who are you? And beyond all of that I actually have first hand involvement/ experience with the individual built up over 7 years of interacting with him, so once again, Who are you?

Congrats yourself for speaking on which you know not...

But anyway...

Regarding the first AC, I find it to be a legitimately pure experience. I really loved, and miss the kill boxes, I miss doing side quests that expand your general approach to the mission.

I think AC2 gets the Lion share of praise, but AC1 is my personal favorite.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Do you remember the huge list of abusers and toxic leads that was revealed last year? All interactions I have had with a bunch of them were nothing but delightful as well. With good public image too.

Not being the person who worked with Patrice directly (I came to the studio long after he left) it wouldn't be appropriate for me to tell the stories I have heard since they would be going through several hands that way and potentially twisted in details due to that. Just want to warn to not idolize some people as it's a topic that frequently comes up when AC is concerned.
Wasn't setting out to idolize anyone, you're the one who made a point of proactively referencing him when I seriously doubt anyone would have landed the bulk of the praise at his feet. Hell, I would counter that Jade tends to get the bulk of praise for the series and tbh, rightfully so.

I also think it's inappropriate to link him to people who are legitimately terrible. Being in the industry I absolutely know a fair share of terrible people who have behaved and acted in ways that are reprehensible, and I do have first hand accounts of said action. I'm glad the industry is correcting itself to hold those responsible, but going forward we need to be very careful what we say...

Sorry to derail, just hit me a certain way and I wanted to speak up.

Your critique of the first game is absolutely solid btw.

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Wasn't setting out to idolize anyone, you're the one who made a point of proactively referencing him when I seriously doubt anyone would have landed the bulk of the praise at his feet. Hell, I would counter that Jade tends to get the bulk of praise for the series and tbh, rightfully so.

I also think it's inappropriate to link him to people who are legitimately terrible. Being in the industry I absolutely know a fair share of terrible people who have behaved and acted in ways that are reprehensible, and I do have first hand accounts of said action. I'm glad the industry is correcting itself to hold those responsible, but going forward we need to be very careful what we say...

Sorry to derail, just hit me a certain way and I wanted to speak up.

Your critique of the first game is absolutely solid btw.

Fair points, you can say that learning that a person you knew for a decade, even before they joined Ubi from being fans on forums, turned out to be a rapist, and that a woman who reached out on LinkedIn about if it is good to work at Ubi later joined the company and became a victim of other workplace abuse from another person, that kind of stuff makes you extra jaded and sensitive to a lot of other stories that you hear. (None of this relates to Patrice, other people)

Last edited:

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I think its really worth stressing that beyond being an Arab protagonist, Philip Shahbaz was the OG Altair and is Iranian American. I hate the recast and how he leaned into the stereotypical accent in Revelations.

I dont know if I am alone in this sentiment, but I miss AC1 Altair.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Regardless of what's been going on @ Ubi, Assassins Creed 1 still remains my favorite game in the series, the others pale in comparison.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I still think that this game is the first and only title that makes me feel like an assassin and where the creed mattered in a franchise named Assassins Creed.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've spent years in the game industry myself, including time at the Ubi SF campus. Who are you? And beyond all of that I actually have first hand involvement/ experience with the individual built up over 7 years of interacting with him, so once again, Who are you?

Congrats yourself for speaking on which you know not...
Imagine going to bat for Ubisoft and the toxic work environments it fostered, in the year 2021.
I know enough people who worked at Ubisoft and have heard enough from close friends to not give a single shit about what you think

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
I think its really worth stressing that beyond being an Arab protagonist, Philip Shahbaz was the OG Altair and is Iranian American. I hate the recast and how he leaned into the stereotypical accent in Revelations.

I dont know if I am alone in this sentiment, but I miss AC1 Altair.

There were a lot of people who miss OG Altair. Doesn't help that the actor who replaced him was also involved in sexual harrassment (though these allegations were investigated outside the gaming world as far as I know, which has led to the actor being let go from a TV show so I presume the results were in, heh)

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
There were a lot of people who miss OG Altair. Doesn't help that the actor who replaced him was also involved in sexual harrassment (though these allegations were investigated outside the gaming world as far as I know, which has led to the actor being let go from a TV show so I presume the results were in, heh)
That I did not know
What of the OG actor?

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (5 Days) - Trolling & Thread Derailment
Imagine going to bat for Ubisoft and the toxic work environments it fostered, in the year 2021.
I know enough people who worked at Ubisoft and have heard enough from close friends to not give a single shit about what you think
Also imagine treating an individual as that, an individual? Also imagine throwing stones at something you are proving increasingly ignorant about; you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. That's amazing to me😅 I'm sure you think you know, and it's adorable to see.

Man I really am worried about you, you can always message me if things get overwhelming. It's apparent you're overwhelmed and I'd love to help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
How would you rank the series?

Well the exact ranking is something that I will know myself only after I finish all RTTPs for the videos (and I will have an RTTP for every game after I finish playing them) but I can say this based on my current feelings and memories.

My favorites are AC1, Black Flag and Brotherhood. AC1 for all the reasons liated above, it is just am absolutely unique game. Brotherhood is, IMO, the most thought out game from the more 'swashbuckling adventure' direction that AC2 has steered the series to, while AC4 IMO is underrated as an AC game in terms of themes and mission design - it weaves in a lot of AC1 elements back into the series providing a nice compromise between AC1 and swashbuckliness of other games, the definition "Pirate's Creed" is unfair.

I respect what Unity and Valhalla try to do, but they're both very flawed. Unity is probably the only "true" sequel to AC1 in terms of overall direction but it is just a mess. Valhalla tries to be the AC4 of the new RPG trilogy - combine the current direction with AC1 gameplay and philosophical elements, but as a whole it is also pretty messy.

Origins is the best game of the RPG trilogy, probably.

Odyssey is... a very competent game. But I have a lot of grievances with it from the game direction perspective which at times just infuriate me, it feels like a connection of systems and design rules rather than something cohesive.

AC3 is very ambitious but incredibly messy. Love Connor, love the complexities and subtleties of the story even if it is also told in a messy way. Some gameplay is outright broken

This leaves AC2 which I think is pretty good but I disagree with the overall notion that it is an improvement over AC1 in every way. In terms of gameplay it is just as messy and it really changed the direction if the series to medieval GTA. The structure is really good though and thanks to it it is engaging.

Rogue improves upon Black Flag in many areas in terms of gameplay, but really doesn't cut it storywise - has a good premise but wastes it.

Sorry that it is not in order, but these are my overall feelings as of now, I will see what I will feel after replaying everything.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
AC1 really is an underrated entry in the series at this point. While it obviously paled to the variety offered by the Ezio games, AC1 had a much more immersive philosophy behind how you would approach your missions (gathering info, pickpocketing, eavesdropping). I wish the sequels took the same immersive ideas while fixing the overly-repetitive nature of them, but they largely felt like just GTA missions in the Renaissance, for better or worse.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also imagine treating an individual as that, an individual? Also imagine throwing stones at something you are proving increasingly ignorant about; you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. That's amazing to me😅 I'm sure you think you know, and it's adorable to see.

Man I really am worried about you, you can always message me if things get overwhelming. It's apparent you're overwhelmed and I'd love to help.
Yeah yeah fuck you

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
AC1 really is an underrated entry in the series at this point. While it obviously paled to the variety offered by the Ezio games, AC1 had a much more immersive philosophy behind how you would approach your missions (gathering info, pickpocketing, eavesdropping). I wish the sequels took the same immersive ideas while fixing the overly-repetitive nature of them, but they largely felt like just GTA missions in the Renaissance, for better or worse.

I find that the modern Hitman games are better as AC sequels than the actual AC sequels. The overall design principles are incredibly similar there.

misterb2001

Oct 28, 2017
The trailers for this game persuaded me to fork out for a PS3 day one back in the day.

Only played a few hours of it then dropped it.

Then when the trailer for AC2 came out I was smitten. Played, completed and worship AC2 which made me go back and play the first game. It clicked 2nd time around and fully appreciate the game for what it was.

Being chased after killing one of your targets, the bells, the music, the guards not giving up lightly...a real intense, brilliant experience that none of the other games have ever got close to matching.

AC2 surpassed it in many other ways, but the first is a fantastic initial attempt and a game I play yearly.

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021
"You dare steal in my presence? That will cost you your life!"

"Please, sir, I'm poor and SICK AND HUNGRY!"

"I have many things, too many things."

Oct 31, 2017
Of all series to binge, I'm impressed that you are binging this one. I didn't think it could be binged since it's hard to binge just one game.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I loved AC1 and replayed it several times. It does have a charm a uniqueness that the series progressively abandoned. I also enjoyed the modern day aspect with its mysteries and conspiracy story, it's a shame that stuff never really went anywhere interesting in the end, it was a huge waste. AC2 built wonderfully on it but the subsequent games were disappointing in that regard.

I recall doing a hudless play through, indeed it made the game much more immersive and it mostly worked. It's a shame that design concept was dropped for the sequels.

It's nice to see the game still has its fans here, it seems mostly forgotten nowadays, and I always felt it was generally regarded as a mediocre game, some people going as far as to say it was a tech demo.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I loved AC1 and replayed it several times. It does have a charm a uniqueness that the series progressively abandoned. I also enjoyed the modern day aspect with its mysteries and conspiracy story, it's a shame that stuff never really went anywhere interesting in the end, it was a huge waste. AC2 built wonderfully on it but the subsequent games were disappointing in that regard.

I recall doing a hudless play through, indeed it made the game much more immersive and it mostly worked. It's a shame that design concept was dropped for the sequels.

It's nice to see the game still has its fans here, it seems mostly forgotten nowadays, and I always felt it was generally regarded as a mediocre game, some people going as far as to say it was a tech demo.
Agreed on all counts.
The biggest pain in the ass for me regarding AC1 was to find all the flags to get 100% completion. I'm still not done with it because of that.
edit: Zephy \o/ <3

hypostatic

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I absolutely loved the first AC, warts and all. I thought it was so ambitious and I had a blast playing and collecting everything. I think the series peaked with Black Flag. I've since only played Origins, which was expansive and so much fun to explore, but preferred Black Flag.

May 10, 2019
It was a fantastic game that I really enjoyed and was kinda blown away with everything it had to offer back then(graphics/mechanics/story/location). It also introduced Desmond who I enjoyed playing/listening to his story as well.

I've thought about playing it again recently because of the improvements the SX gives it through bc.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Assassin's Creed is probably on the same level as Halo CE to me, a game which definitely inspired me for years and appealed to me like any other games, something that the serie was almost never able to do again once the Ezio Trilogy was done, with Revelations being one of my favorite even for all its faults.

The blend of modern days enigmatic stories and its relation to the past was something I never expect to love until I played this game. I was 15 when this game released, and it was such a milestone in my gaming memories.

1639883512-19-12-2021-00-37-35-xsuqw2av.jpg

I still remember discovering Masyaf for the very first time and enjoying some parkours in this city and its castle. Something I never got to experience anywhere else in any other video games at the time.

The art direction, the sound design, the music, the light, the fog, walking around the people, listening the conversations, everything blended fabulously well to create a unique mood. I could go on for hours.

It was a mix of creative talents, and not the only the Lead I mean, having Jesper Kyd on board to create all the musics was probably one of their best decision, as this composer truly gave an unique touch to this game, which even without a proper theme like the Ezio Family became afterward, was able to create some incredible and tense soundtrack while creating an atmospheric and ambiant sound design which gave deep and mystery to this universe.

The Chase theme is probably one of my favorite of all time. Having killed your target and running trough the crow to escape is still something unique to this game, and having this music playing in the background added so much to it. You could, of course, fight back and probably win as the combat was kind of very easy, but, running and trying to escape while hiding was probably the most enjoyable for me.

While being said as "Repetitive", I think this game, more than any Assassin's Creed after, gave you enough agency to approach your missions the way you wanted to. Checking the place the assassination would take place in, getting information the way you wanted while trying not to be spotted, it could be played in a very arcade way, or on higher difficulty, as a truly immersive sim.

Having a city you could freely explore, Tower to climb to admire the landscape and being able to see and understand which area you needed to go thanks to the different buildings, something I experienced again many years later in Breath of The Wild.

1639883510-19-12-2021-00-37-33-lhbahuji.jpg

I honestly think there's no greater feeling in this game than arriving to a new city because you were, almost, always uphill with your horse and could admire the city you were about to explore.

Each one had its mood, its color palette and its identity, the story was taking you from one place to another while you had to go trough "The Kingdom" and could use the indication to go to the city you needed without checking the HUD or the map in the pause menu.

Honestly, I think I could talk for hours of this game with 99% positivity.

To this day, I still replay it at least once a year. Last time, I enjoyed the true HD and AA given by the Xbox One BC, and in 2022, I'm going to enjoy it at 60 fps, and I honestly can't wait for this new playthrough!

There were a lot of people who miss OG Altair.

In France, we were lucky enough that we kept the same actor, and it was actually the one who was doing the voice for Obi-Wan Kenobi Star Wars. It definitely means nothing for the non-french people, but his voice is deep and calm, it added a great layer to Altaïr already incredible persona.

I loved that we got a conclusion for its story in Revelations, which is why I love this game so much actually, and while I loved Altaïr, I'm glad he wasn't overly used like Ezio, because I missed him so much it was a joy to see him once again in Revelations.

He was a myth, a legend, and while I would have loved to get more of him (in a book maybe?), he was a great character nonetheless.

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
He was a myth, a legend, and while I would have loved to get more of him (in a book maybe?), he was a great character nonetheless.

I don't know of its quality since I haven't read it, but there is a book about Altair's life from childhood to death called The Secret Crusade, might interest you.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
AC1 >>>>>>>>>everyother AC and it isnt even close.
I want a remake so bad.
Damn right.

I bought into era hype and bought AC Odyssee thinking it's back to roots assassinations and stuff. How misled I was. Such an absolute waste of time collectathon. I seriously cannot even remember a single "assassination", or blending into crowds to track someone. Just a nonsensical open world GTA set in ancient Greece.

Assassins Creed 1, for all its jank, is a masterpiece. Also a game where the story was fucking amazing and they weren't afraid of going places.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know of its quality since I haven't read it, but there is a book about Altair's life from childhood to death called The Secret Crusade, might interest you.

I always thought it was just the game's plot written as a book? At least, from the summary I got about it online a few years ago, didn't know there was more than that.

It has surprisingly good ratings online, I might give it a try.

I seriously cannot even remember a single "assassination"

I thought Odyssey was definitely worth the journey because of its family story. You're definitely right about the collectathon, but Ancient Greece was such a beauty and the family story, with the target to be tracked, was so worth it because of its ending, I don't regret spending 75h in Odyssey.

For all its faults and bad design decisions, it's on my list of favorite Assassin's Creed games (even if it could be called by any other name since it has almost no roots with AC).

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
"What is he doing?! He's going to hurt himself... and when he does I'm NOT going to help him!"

Premium NPC chatter.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Damn right.

I bought into era hype and bought AC Odyssee thinking it's back to roots assassinations and stuff. How misled I was. Such an absolute waste of time collectathon. I seriously cannot even remember a single "assassination", or blending into crowds to track someone. Just a nonsensical open world GTA set in ancient Greece.

Assassins Creed 1, for all its jank, is a masterpiece. Also a game where the story was fucking amazing and they weren't afraid of going places.
10000% Agreed. The planning, the picking off roof guards, the execution, the cool ass forshadowing conversations with the dying tagets, the chase, and finally disappearing into the crowd. Such bliss. Def a masterpiece. And so ballsy story wise. Also lack of hud handholding constantly....the music. Im gonna go cry now.

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
I always thought it was just the game's plot written as a book? At least, from the summary I got about it online a few years ago, didn't know there was more than that.

It has surprisingly good ratings online, I might give it a try.

Looking at the summary of chapters it seems to be a combination of AC1, Bloodlines, Revelations, with scenes that would happen before AC1 and then describing what happened between the time skips of Revelation scenes.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I said before and i will say it now, AC1 remake influenced by Hitman would be great. They should keep structure of the AC1, remove countryside, add more variety and more investigations, tweak level design to support more approach variety.