• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Not that surprising when you look at the promotional partnership they have with Nvidia, both for this title and their previous ones. Still at least it sounds like there's hope in support for it being added post-launch, and I expect a big part of that is how well the next gen of AMD GPUs goes

Aug 30, 2020
I suspect all it is going to mean is loads of mirror surfaces, even in regular SSR for a bit until the novelty wears off .

Especially because mirrored surfaces are probably in the upper crust of what AMD's implementation will be capable of.

What I'm really going to miss is more diffuse reflections (which requires more rays to resolve), because none of the next gen console games have demonstrated that. They look amazing in stuff like Wolf Youngblood.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Especially because mirrored surfaces are probably in the upper crust of what AMD's implementation will be capable of.

What I'm really going to miss is more diffuse reflections (which requires more rays to resolve), because none of the next gen console games have demonstrated that. They look amazing in stuff like Wolf Youngblood.
The preview shots of this showed some really nice diffuse reflections as part of the emisive RT

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Because Nvidia doesnt want my money and was fine with selling directly to bots and scalpers instead, I'm looking forward to the next gen console version. Hopefully we will see some kind of RT on consoles and AMD GPUs on PC.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Because Nvidia doesnt want my money and was fine with selling directly to bots and scalpers instead, I'm looking forward to the next gen console version. Hopefully we will see some kind of RT on consoles and AMD GPUs on PC.

[Hidden content]
What is this console generation launch you're alluding to that wasn't also plagued by bots and scalpers

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
One way or another Nvidia has much, much more people power for implementation of their technology and driver optimization. I have heard from multiple people that Nvidia often sends their engineers to studios to help developers with tech implementation.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Series X launches November 12 and the RDNA2 conference is October 28th.

Godspeed to anyone who plans to have a card in hand before a Series X.

"Launch."
This paper launch situation this year has haunted me.
I'll never believe a launch is real ever again.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, I saw that Gears 5 screenshot on the Ultra settings, where the floor is super shiny and the whole internet exploded in OMG raytracing,
Turns out it's SSR, but on that setting it's less diffuse.

I wonder how long it will be we see situations where Raytracing is turned on for Photo mode, but not very present in gameplay. Where The fans generate their own misleading PR bullshots.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused by the wording. The article says that the game needs DirectX 12 and I thought the DX12 RT API (DXR) is supposed to be vendor agnostic. Is it "Nvidia only" just because there's no AMD cards with ray tracing yet?

I believe AMD is expected to only support DXR 1.1, anything using 1.0 will need updated. This is similar to the DX9 days where D3D9.0a and b had some things that only one vendor supported until c came and unified them.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Traditional upscaling techniques (aka not "A.I.") can be very effective as are other neural network based approaches. And additional approaches are an active field of research. Lot of good grad students doing cool work in it. I imagine they'll do just fine. DLSS is cool and all, but so is this:

research.fb.com

Neural Supersampling for Real-time Rendering - Meta Research | Meta Research

Following the recent advances in image and video superresolution in computer vision, we propose a machine learning approach that is specifically tailored for high-quality upsampling of rendered content in real-time applications.
This remains wishful thinking.

The entire reason DLSS works as well as it does is because Nvidia GPUs have dedicated hardware for executing machine learning tasks (a.k.a. the "Tensor Cores"). AMD does not have an equivalent and nothing on that front is changing for their upcoming GPUs.

They also lack the investment in machine learning that Nvidia has in the first place. I would not expect anything from them that is equivalent until their following GPU generation at the absolute earliest, and even then, I wouldn't count on it.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I believe AMD is expected to only support DXR 1.1, anything using 1.0 will need updated. This is similar to the DX9 days where D3D9.0a and b had some things that only one vendor supported until c came and unified them.
1.1 is a superset of 1.0. You can't support 1.1 without supporting 1.0.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
What is this console generation launch you're alluding to that wasn't also plagued by bots and scalpers
Fair point. Just talking about Germany because I dont know how bad it was in other regions: People had 1 hour to order one from online retailers. 30mins at midnight after the livestream and 30mins one week later (retailers even "warned" that preorders will open at 10AM one day before that). So at least normal people were able to order one. Bad luck if you missed both of these small time windows.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Unfortunately the words "Ray Tracing" mean almost nothing now since it's a marketing term. "Actual" path traced games like Marbles at Night demo that Nvidia put out, which ran at 1440p/30fps with DLSS on, with a RTX 3090, are generally what I would consider ray tracing to be. But now RT can mean anything from that to a single RT effect being used only for shadows and now gamers think they're the same thing.

Consoles obviously don't have the muscle to do anything close to path tracing this gen, maybe by the time next gen rolls around.

That's just you putting your own qualifiers on what RT is. RT does not have to deal with graphics at all, that's why raytraced audio for example is possible.

This gen there will be no path traced games on anything but PC and even those will most likely be tech demos and older games converted to path tracing.

For anything modern, it's going to be used sparsely for some things, whether it's just some better reflections on puddles and windows or various lighting improvements.

I am surprised that AMD's solution needs extra work considering I expected that RT would be supported with DXR which, correct me if I am wrong, should be agnostic to how RT is handled by the NV and AMD APIs connected to it.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Some of these highly anticipated games this year have me more excited than I've been in a long time. It may be due to the new consoles coming out or probably due to the HW upgrades and major TV purchase to properly enjoy next gen gaming on PC.

Either way, It's a good time to be a fan of games.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
I mean RDNA2 cards are releasing *after* Cyberpunk 2077 so it's no surprise that at game's launch there not gonna be any AMD card on the market that can enable RT effects.
CD Projekt hasn't said anything about not supporting AMD cards, it looks to me this is just a badly worded article by WFCTech.

That said, wouldn't be unthinkable from Nvidia to pay for RT timed exclusivity.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Good thing Microsoft DXR is an open, vendor agnostic API.

You people act like developers are forced to use some bespoke method to provide ray tracing, when they are not.

It'd be like having DX12 or 16xAF exclusivity.
Well, yes and no. My initial fear came from the fact that NV doesn't advertise ray-tracing, they're advertising "RTX", i.e. their own solution of implementing RT on their own proprietary RT cores. It's like how Mantle used to be AMD-specific before it incorporated into Vulkan and before DX12 came with its own solution.
You yourself are saying that both AMD and NV have different RT solutions and we're still a bit away from *actual* ray-tracing like we are seeing in Quake and Minecraft. The current solutions are eerily reminiscent of PhysX and the kind.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Well, yes and no. My initial fear came from the fact that NV doesn't advertise ray-tracing, they're advertising "RTX", i.e. their own solution of implementing RT on their own proprietary RT cores. It's like how Mantle used to be AMD-specific before it incorporated into Vulkan and before DX12 came with its own solution.
You yourself are saying that both AMD and NV have different RT solutions and we're still a bit away from *actual* ray-tracing like we are seeing in Quake and Minecraft. The current solutions are eerily reminiscent of PhysX and the kind.
Nvidia and AMD cards have to go through the exact same Microsoft API for games to support ray tracing on their given cards. There is nothing proprietary about it.

Nvidia and AMD's implementations are different, but that's up to developers to sort out, just like all differences between the two companies' hardware.

This couldn't be further away from PhysX.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The difference is that PhysX is a proprietary SDK. According to Nvidia's own docs, RTX supports three different APIs and everything seems to indicate that the only proprietary one (Optix) isn't used for games.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I mean RDNA2 cards are releasing *after* Cyberpunk 2077 so it's no surprise that at game's launch there not gonna be any AMD card on the market that can enable RT effects.
CD Projekt hasn't said anything about not supporting AMD cards, it looks to me this is just a badly worded article by WFCTech.

That said, wouldn't be unthinkable from Nvidia to pay for RT timed exclusivity.
I thought they said that the cards would be out before the consoles?

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Nvidia and AMD cards have to go through the exact same Microsoft API for games to support ray tracing on their given cards. There is nothing proprietary about it.

Nvidia and AMD's implementations are different, but that's up to developers to sort out, just like all differences between the two companies' hardware.

This couldn't be further away from PhysX.
The difference is that PhysX is a proprietary SDK. According to Nvidia's own docs, RTX supports three different APIs and everything seems to indicate that the only proprietary one (Optix) isn't used for games.
Fair enough. Recent outings, especially since they all rather trivial, made it look like it was tailored. I wasn't aware that they're all going through DX frankly.

I stand corrected then.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Nvidia put in the effort, so of course.

You can't just tick the "ray tracing" box and have it work like magic, and AMD just don't have the developer relations capacity and capability for whatever reason.

Even if AMD come out with some masterwork GPU, they're still going to be tremendously behind Nvidia on actual implementation.
So AMD doesnt have RT in like the most anticipated game ever and they have no counter to DLSS 2.0? Man did they drop the ball even lower than ever before..

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Technically there can be, for both vendors, courtesy of NVAPI and AGS. Still, should be possible to make it work on other vendor with some minor patching - that's even if it won't work by default.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Lmao, wtf is that!? That looks like CG from the early 2000's. It's a tech demo showcasing RT, yet the reflections are super low res.
Control, a full on, real game, looks hundred times better.
while I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you and I currently do have a 3080 founders edition, I think your statement is a bit more than hyperbolic. yes it doesn't look necessarily impressive compared to real world graphics but it's still pretty impressive even if lower resolution and shows that they're doing something. I'm not here to throw dirt at AMD while they are not in the position to even defend themselves yet so we should all really reserve judgment until they announce their new card.

AMD is surely killing it with their CPUs and I think for the sake of the market and competition that we should all want them to have a highly competitive product.

As far as the ray tracing goes, I'm sure there's something in the software that makes it all work together and while I definitely appreciate AMD having dedicated RT course in their graphics cards I sure do hope that it isn't something that's been locked to some proprietary support that only one company has. And whatever AMD has they better outline in their marketing clearly that it's not something that Nvidia has some exclusivity to because as was noted earlier in this thread, there seem to be people thinking that Nvidia flat out invented Ray tracing and that it is simply not possible without RT cores or tensor cores.

To the rational thinking user like myself, I just want to see all of this clarified more and wish AMD would have revealed their new stuff sooner but we are on the brink of them finally announcing at least that they still exist and hope they continue to clear the outline that Nvidia isn't the only game in town when it comes to Ray tracing.

As far as DLSS goes, I think that's really the only thing that AMD really needs to try to counter because that to me is a major selling point when you have all these fancy new features and want parody across the board. That is something you cannot take away from nvidia, they spent tons of money in research and development and it clearly shows so for the sake of all of us, I hope AMD has something to counterbalance that.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I remember when I got my 2080 Ti, and the total number of games that could utilize its specific features was precisely *zero*. Developers needed more time to get to grips with them. Drivers had to mature. Etc.

Pretty normal really.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
while I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you and I currently do have a 3080 founders edition, I think your statement is a bit more than hyperbolic. yes it doesn't look necessarily impressive compared to real world graphics but it's still pretty impressive even if lower resolution and shows that they're doing something. I'm not here to throw dirt at AMD while they are not in the position to even defend themselves yet so we should all really reserve judgment until they announce their new card.
There's nothing hyperbolic about my post. IMO the tech demo looks bad and seriously reminds me of very early PS2 CG. AMD decides to show something and I am allowed to have my opinion based on what they decided to show to the public. I'm sure when they announce their cards, their RT solution is gonna be fine, but this particular video looks bad.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
There's nothing hyperbolic about my post. IMO the tech demo looks bad and seriously reminds me of very early PS2 CG. AMD decides to show something and I am allowed to have my opinion based on what they decided to show to the public. I'm sure when they announce their cards, their RT solution is gonna be fine, but this particular video looks bad.
I guess it's on the other beholder but the point of that was to show they have a working implementation but clearly while there is compromise in the consoles and we who have decent enough hardware have experience better Ray tracing it at least shows that they're on the right track. Because let's face it , something like the Spider-Man or even anything on PS5 Ray tracing showcase while overall mean look good it is obviously hardware limited.

For me, personally, I'm not passing any judgment until I see their implementation with proper next generation hardware like big Navi.