• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Rationalising racism, history of severe infractions
Placide is a Haitian name, and one of the features of African-American Vernacular English (a common black dialect/accent in the US) is that speakers ofter replace their "th" with a "d". The protagonist is mocking a black dialect.
And what is wrong about making fun of a dialect? I'm pretty sure that the (African-American) creator of Cyberpunk, who also is involved on creating the world and writing the script of this game doesn't care about it.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is, you can't just narrow it down to a country. There are some cities in the United States, Canada and the UK that are some of the diverse spots on the Earth. Then there are the more rural areas that tend not to be.

I work with over 200 web developers in and around Katowice, and they are some of the most talented developers around. Unfortunately, also in my experience, I've felt the way some of them treat women on the team extremely problematic. It was very much a dominant vs. subservient relationship which really skeeved me out.

Also don't joke about National Donut/Fat Thursday to them. They didn't appreciate it.
True also.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Last year during that gameplay demo that almost everyone seemed to gush over I noticed this, gunplay didn't look too hot but especially the characters i didn't find all that interesting at first glance at all. Whereas I find the characters very strong and appealing in Witcher 3.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
giphy.gif

Polish devs so we can only hope theres someone over there instructing how to make an inclusive game for western audiences

Last edited:

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know reports on Poland show its well behind when it comes to tolerance and respect of other cultures and races (very anti-muslim, low opinion on non-whites, concerning attitudes towards women), but i was hoping CDProject to be an example of progress and that would show though thier games. This is very very disappointing.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
And what is wrong about making fun of a dialect? I'm pretty sure that the (African-American) creator of Cyberpunk, who also is involved on creating the world and writing the script of this game doesn't care about it.
One black person signing off on racism doesn't mean shit. You should feel embarrassed for even typing that basura.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Same impressions from everyeye.it

Shooting and animations are very weak according to them, nothing like last year's demo

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
I know reports on Poland show its well behind when it comes to tolerance and respect of other cultures and races (very anti-muslim, low opinion on non-whites ), but i was hoping CDProject to be an example of progress and that would show though thier games. This is very very disappointing.
It is not just a Poland thing....

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Looks like I'll be waiting for a damage/gameplay mod on PC if this is true. But this impression piece is in the minority.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
TheHighMarshal said:
CDPR has a history of transphobic nonsense and their seemingly only trans representation in his game is a feshistic "Big Dick Girl" from the poster.

Says the guy who has definitely done and seen it all in game.

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. This is utter nonsense.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Poland is like 99% white, and has a far right government in power. None of this is surprising. I expect more to come.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Unless the main character is an imbecile, he clearly understands what is being said (for basic linguistic reasons I can explain if you really want), but actively chooses to take the time to mock the way the black person talks. Mocking the way black people talk is a time-honored racist tradition that has been instrumental in portraying them as less intelligent and/or more savage, so resorting to that in 2019 isn't a good look anywhere.

Placide is a Haitian name, and one of the features of African-American Vernacular English (a common black dialect/accent in the US) is that speakers ofter replace their "th" with a "d". The protagonist is mocking a black dialect.

Ah ok, I got it. Thanks.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry but as a very straight very white male I am happy to use my privilege to point out that the majority of games critics are disproportionately white and male. Meanwhile the dominance of the enthusiast press means a lot of reviews don't delve very deeply into elements like themes when it comes to reviews but focus on content and gameplay.

Edit: for reference, I hope the game is really great. I love Witcher 3 for all its faults but I'm just increasingly concerned it's going to very thematically shallow and critics will ignore that.

I don't think the wild hypocrisy in stances like this is going to help the message reach the people it needs to.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Polish devs so we can only hope theres someone over there instructing how to make an inclusive game for western auciences
I would say though that people should try to understand the reasons why Poland isn't particularly progressive, I feel it's a bit unfair to compare them to Germany or the UK considering their history.

They'll get there they just need time

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this game's stance on social issues is going to get a lot of (deserved) blowback when it releases.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California

Mocking people for how they speak is like a top 3 racist practice. If the game is gonna have bigotry that's fine just keep that same kind of energy towards mocking white ethnic groups in it.

PunkMilitia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hoping melee combat is doable. I'm not the greatest fan of guns in even the best of fps games.

Okay, I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but, why is getting rid of stereotypes such a huge concern for games as of late? My family is full of stereotypes, heck, people have stereotyped me in the past. I don't hate though, as I understand everyone has a perceived perception on first impression and it's in our human nature.

As long as its not on the verge of racism, sexism, etc and doesn't cause harm, of course.

Edit: I didn't see about the blatent racism in the language somehow. Now I'm wondering how I feel about this game.

Last edited:

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping melee combat is doable. I'm not the greatest fan of guns in even the best of fps games.

Okay, I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but, why do we have to get is getting rid of stereotypes such a huge concern for games as of late? My family is full of stereotypes, heck, people have stereotyped me in the past. I don't hate though, as I understand everyone has a perceived perception on first impression and it's in our human nature.

As long as its not on the verge of racism, sexism, etc and doesn't cause harm, of course.
Did you wander into the wrong thread? We are talking about a game where the player character makes fun of a black person's accent. You seem to be imagining a hypothetical game that's "not on the verge of racism".

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I hear that poland is apparently not every progressive according to some posters on Era.

It's not the entire population, of course. Poland has a strong educated class and plenty of non-assholes, but there are plenty of older (and now younger) bigots coming out of the woodwork. Basically since the refugee influx and Poland viewing itself superior to Germany, which took in a bunch of refugees. Nationalism of the white variety on full display.

I know nothing about these game developers, though. Haven't played any of the Witcher games yet, though I want to for their links to Poland. I've read one of the novels and enjoyed it.

Oct 28, 2017
It'd make a lot of sense if after all this hype, CB2077 just turned out to be 'not very good'

I'm hoping they can rectify all issues for a better game, but for people like my buddy who already wants that excessive statue edition before seeing lick of gameplay... fuck 'em

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I saw this headline so I looked around at a few other takes on the demo. This one was by far the most negative/clickbait.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is not just a Poland thing....
Thats true, but as Polands premier game dev, id have hoped they were a beacon of progress & tolerance, like many other large dev houses from parts of the western world that may hold socially conservative, bigoted views.

Oudone79

Banned
Jun 21, 2018
Mocking people for how they speak is like a top 3 racist practice. If the game is gonna have bigotry that's fine just keep that same kind of energy towards mocking white ethnic groups in it.
They should know that by experience. Last year in London a I saw a guy get beat Up because he was speaking polish. And is a common thing that polish migrants get discriminated un England.

PunkMilitia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you wander into the wrong thread? We are talking about a game where the player character makes fun of a black person's accent. You seem to be imagining a hypothetical game that's "not on the verge of racism".
Woah. I must have missed that part. In that case - I'm actually peed off at them. Thats completely unacceptable.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

Okay, I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but, why do we have to get is getting rid of stereotypes such a huge concern for games as of late? My family is full of stereotypes, heck, people have stereotyped me in the past. I don't hate though, as I understand everyone has a perceived perception on first impression and it's in our human nature.

I guess it kinda depends on what the stereotypes are?

Are you aware of the stereotypes surrounding white people calling black folks animals? It's usually used as a justification for increased violence or lower empathy towards black people. There's a recent Netflix show called "When They See Us" that I would recommend watching that plays on this specific stereotype and its ramifications for the people that are impacted by it. It's based on a true story, as well.

Okay, with that context out of the way.. We're talking about an all-black section of a violent gang called the Animals.

Just imagine the dialog that surrounds the violence.

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed Eurogamer also talked about questionable dialogue, though they called the demo astonishing otherwise. Would be such a shame if they fuck this game up with sterotyping and racism.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Poland is a deeply conservative and Catholic country so it's not surprising that there would be some people there that hold bigoted opinions. It's not exclusive to them either. The problem is that CDPR seems to have trouble keeping people from expressing them, repeatedly. There's too much smoke for me to ignore it.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
0e79qtzua0d11.jpg

This is what this game has boiled down to for me. Defenders dismissing the complaints about the regressive undercurrent of CDPR and Cyberpunk 2077 because they're excited about the shiny toy.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
V is completely customizable, yes? Let's say you play as a PoC-V, would you still count that as racist?

PunkMilitia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, apart from having a grumble on here about this, what's the plan to get them to change things like this in a patch or future game, going forward?