• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
This a thread that I found on Reddit and thought it was pretty interesting and I wanted to know ERA's opinion.

In my case it has to be most of the Dragon Quest games (minus IV and XI). I love the games but can't say I remember well the party members or any notable interactions that make me care about them.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Final Fantasy 8. I enjoy Squall, Rinoa, Edea, Seifer etc; the main players. The rest of the party? Fucking TERRIBLE. What an absolutely shite cast of nobody losers. Nobody has any meaningful arcs or interactions.

FFX is like this but worse. I hate that entire cast, nobody is likeable and they're annoying at worst. Auron is cool, but he's not strong enough for me to care.

The polar opposite of this is buying Xenoblade 2 on a whim on launch, just wanting a JRPG fix on the switch, offput by the main cast only to love every single one of them and have it become one of my favorite games of all time. I will fight people to the death to defend Rex's outfit and breath of the wild's best outfit, the diving suit.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I like the cold steel games but class 7 really wore out their welcome. They do get semi-replaced in 3 by a better, smaller party.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Persona the thread

Theres usually around 6-10 party members and maybe i like 1 or 2

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I love Final Fantasy 8. I enjoy Squall, Rinoa, Edea, Seifer etc; the main players. The rest of the party? Fucking TERRIBLE. What an absolutely shite cast of nobody losers. Nobody has any meaningful arcs or interactions.

FFX is like this but worse. I hate that entire cast, nobody is likeable and they're annoying at worst. Auron is cool, but he's not strong enough for me to care.

The polar opposite of this is buying Xenoblade 2 on a whim on launch, just wanting a JRPG fix on the switch, offput by the main cast only to love every single one of them and have it become one of my favorite games of all time. I will fight people to the death to defend Rex's outfit and breath of the wild's best outfit, the diving suit.
FFX is another good one too. The game is super fun and the story is interesting but I can't say I care about the cast at all.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Final Fantasy XII. I can appreciate the excellent dialogue and mature interactions of some of the older main cast, but it's a difficult game to engage with on an emotional level. Mostly, I liked the politics and themes at play, less so the character development.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Suikoden games. I liked collecting them, but if they didn't have a use in the castle then they rarely made the party. I usually only used about 8 fighters.

Peerless

Sep 10, 2018
Final Fantasy V. I loved the gameplay/job system, but I did not care at all about anyone in that game.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Graces f are all pretty bad. Annoyingly so, really. The only one I actually liked was Pascal which was weird because early on she seemed like she would be the most annoying of the lot. Turned out to be strangely endearing.

Game is fun as all hell, though. Top-tier battle system once you unlock more from it.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a bad fit for what the topic is looking for, because FFV had a charming and enjoyable cast overall but ultimately it was about two people: Galuf and Gilgamesh.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy V. I loved the gameplay/job system, but I did not care at all about anyone in that game.

thats the magic of opinions, i actually cared more about the cast of V (save cara) than any other modern final fantasy

that it was a tight, concise group that you had the whole game (save for one exception) helped a lot to me

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Graces f are all pretty bad. Annoyingly so, really. The only one I actually liked was Pascal which was weird because early on she seemed like she would be the most annoying of the lot. Turned out to be strangely endearing.

Game is fun as all hell, though. Top-tier battle system once you unlock more from it.

Yup. This is a good example. Virtually the entire cast in Graces sucks but the combat is so fun it buoys the whole experience.

I can't say the same for Graces, where the whole cast sucks AND the gameplay is worse.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Yeah, Final Fantasy X is a good example. I don't love the game (I think it's just decent overall) but the cast is definitely one of the worst parts of the game.

Fire Emblem 7 is another one for me. I last played the game in 2019 and I'm not sure I can name a single character besides Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Honestly much as I love the game, Chrono Cross. The core party of Serge, Kidd, and Lynx are really good but a vast majority of them have no real personality due to the accent system just replacing generic dialog with how they would say the line. There are good optional characters, some who even have good size story content like Riddel and Glenn, but otherwise you get people the pink dog and mushroom man.

Beedig

Feb 10, 2018
Grandia 2. They're not terrible characters, I just didn't find them interesting.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Pretty much anything revolving around a magic high school/military school party and growing pains these days. I like the combat but Persona, Trails etc with the mix of 'fight for your life every night but make sure you pass the exams and flirt with the relentlessly sexualised female half of the cast' is just so one-note to me, the same stories and friendships and first love situations told over and over again.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo FF8 as well, except I don't love the game (I think it's terrible in fact) and the romance between Squall and Rinoa never worked for me so that didn't make up for how much the rest of the cast got reduced as the game went on.

And Blue Dragon is a good one. It isn't fair for me to criticize the characters since it's been years since I played it and I only got very little into the game, but still their designs don't have anything interesting about them.

Oct 29, 2017
Not controversial, but Final Fantasy XII. I love the gameplay, particularly the combat and the implementation of the Gambit system, and Zodiac Age is a fantastic remaster that adds a lot of QoL changes that I was happy with. However...

The story is just not there in terms of being a character-driven story. That being said, don't get me wrong -- not every RPG needs to be Tales, and in fact, I'm very happy that most aren't as Tales can be a very shallow experience at times since there is so much focus on the characters only at the expense of the overall plot. That being said, however, Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favourite games of all time that has a combination of both a great overall story and an amazing cast that has a lot of cool characters you really resonate with. (You can then start a separate argument that the generic characters you start with start getting swapped out with the people that you meet along the way...)

On the other hand, the characters from FFXII are just SO bland. They have very little personality and come off as one-note from time to time, being and feeling more just pawns manipulated by the world events as opposed to being actors that can impose some kind of action around them. I sometimes wonder what a more Matsuno-driven FF would be like as opposed to the one that was designed by committee by the game's end.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Final fantasy 6

I love Terra, Sabin, Cyan, Locke and Celes. Every other party member is just kind of there and you could delete them from the game and the story wouldn't change in the slightest. I don't even remember their names; cave boy, painter guy, ninja guy, gambler guy who pilots an airship... I can't remember the rest. FF6 is a fantastic game but has too many party members in my opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati

Perfect. Game was so fun, actually probably one of the best battle systems ever, but holy shit the cast. Just ughhhhhhhhh. Except for Malak for me, he was cool, Pascal was tolerable as well.

Final fantasy 6

I love Terra, Sabin ,Cyan, Locke and Celes. Every other party member is just kind of there and you could delete them from the game and the story wouldn't change in the slightest. I don't even remember their names; cave boy, painter guy, ninja guy, gambler guy who pilots an airship... I can't remember the rest. FF6 is a fantastic game but has too many party members in my opinion.

You remember Sabin, but can't remember his brother Edgar? Come on man!!!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Final fantasy 6

I love Terra, Sabin ,Cyan, Locke and Celes. Every other party member is just kind of there and you could delete them from the game and the story wouldn't change in the slightest. I don't even remember their names; cave boy, painter guy, ninja guy, gambler guy who pilots an airship... I can't remember the rest. FF6 is a fantastic game but has too many party members in my opinion.
If there's enough good characters in a JRPG to make a full party (and it doesn't force you to level up the crap ones to get through the 'hah! Your favourites are removed, better make sure you levelled everyone equally!' bit) I count myself lucky to be honest. Could be worse, it could be Star Ocean 4 :D

Angst

Oct 27, 2017

FFVIII has one of my favorite stories in all of gaming with the most boring/bad party members in any video game I've ever played

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
I liked Dragon Age Inquisition generally, but I only enjoyed like three or four of the party members, and two were from Dragon Age II (a much worse game in most respects but a much better written game on the whole).

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I haven't really been on the jrpg train for years but I bought tales of beseria cause it was on sale and got good reviews. One of the reasons I haven't tried it yet is because one of the characters looks like a little girl and I'm worried she is going to shriek her lines at me in that baby girl voice anime loves to employ. It is so grating to me.

Please tell me I'm wrong

wayward_

Oct 29, 2020
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - I think I actively disliked the majority of the party members

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really been on the jrpg train for years but I bought tales of beseria cause it was on sale and got good reviews. One of the reasons I haven't tried it yet is because one of the characters looks like a little girl and I'm worried she is going to shriek her lines at me in that baby girl voice anime loves to employ. It is so grating to me.

Please tell me I'm wrong

I think the character you're thinking of is actually a young boy ( Laphicet ).
As far as kid characters in jrpg hes by no means the worst ever.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Elder Scrolls and BGS-led Fallout members are very forgettable. Valentine is the only real standout, while the rest are inoffensive.

I enjoyed Siora and Petrus in Greedfall, others were pretty standard.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Honestly, most Square Enix JRPG's. It'd really be easier to name the ones where I do care about the party members; Chrono Trigger, FFVII...and that's about it.

I was actually kind of thinking about this earlier because I'm playing Wasteland 3 right now where I am really invested in, and care about all my party members. I think a large part of that is because 4 of my 6 party members are custom characters that I created, that basically have personalities and traits that I dictate, or at least form some kind of head cannon for. And that's somehow easier for me to get attached to since it's like I've been with them since their inception versus picking up a character along the way in a game where they have this whole back story and so forth that maybe is explained to you, but it's not like it's something that you personally experienced with them, if that makes sense.

So, even though your party really don't have their own personalities, as prescribed by the writers of the game, I just find that I'm more attached to them. Like there's my Nerdy Melee character who runs in, beats things up, hacks robots and buff's her squad. Or there's my healer who is also an explosives engineer and level 10 lock picker, so he can get the whole squad around most traps and through any entrance. It just feels like because I created these characters, they're mine and I'm attached to them. Though, tbf, the other party members that are actual game NPC's are great too. That drunken pistol slinger Scotchmo, and basically my "Bad Cop" when I need him, Marshall Kwon.

Seriously, it is one of the best party based RPG's I've ever played. People really gotta stop sleeping on that game this year. It's far and away the best RPG to come out in 2020 so far, and there's really only one other one that might end up being better. We'll see.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Me liking the characters is rather important, so I don't tend to enjoy RPGs (or not enjoy them much) if I don't at least like most of the cast.

I agree with Dragon's Dogma, but that doesn't really feel like the point iirc.
Maybe Octopath? Also kind of not really though as my issue was that there was little/no party interaction vs not liking the characters themselves.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
"can't say I remember well the party members or any notable interactions that make me care about them".

Do you remember anything about the pawns which you are meant to replace every 2-4 levels? I never said the system was bad.
I had a badass healer pawn that got some great adventures in other worlds and brought me nice items and got good ratings. And sometimes she gave me hints about areas she already visited with other players but that I didn't know about. I think that is very memorable, yes.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
Every tales of game I play there's like one party member I enjoy and then the rest irritate the crud out of me.

The other one that hits a lot for me is FF8. I really really don't like Zell, and Selphie isn't much better. Really the only party members that I just don't dislike in some way are Rinoa and Squall.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Chrono Trigger is a great game but I've just never been super jazzed on the cast. Like Frog and Robo are neat and Magus is cool but the characters and their backstories don't really resonate with me much. They feel like smaller pieces in a story that's much bigger than them.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Oh, most of them I guess. Any Dragon Quest, any Final Fantasy after 7 (with a few exceptions here and there). The Devil Survivor games were really bad. Recently the Baldur's Gate games have been this way. Honestly I can only think of Eternal Punishment and Planescape: Torment as party-based RPGs where the party is a selling point rather than something to be tolerated or ignored.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Any Monolith made JRPG. Xenosaga 1-2-3, Xenoblade 1-X-2, even those Super Robot Taisen OG games. They feel so... Cold and robotic. After spending thousands of hours with warm and humane characters of Tales, Persona, DQ and Disgaea games they feel so out of place.

But, damn they know how to create a quality combat system.

Fierce Deity

May 17, 2020
Chrono Cross. The core group is cool, but there's so many pointless recruitable characters in that game.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Any Monolith made JRPG. Xenosaga 1-2-3, Xenoblade 1-X-2, even those Super Robot Taisen OG games. They feel so... Cold and robotic. After spending thousands of hours with warm and humane characters of Tales, Persona, DQ and Disgaea games they feel so out of place.

But, damn they know how to create a quality combat system.
funny enough when Xenoblade 2 came out there were a lot of threads that it was the best JRPG party ever. Not that I agreed, but there were a ton of those

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance/Advance 2. I'm only there for the combat, the characters and story may as well not exist how little I care about them.