• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I was working on this list for myself, so the choices reflect what I am looking forward to. Please reply with rpgs you are looking forward to.

I used this as source.
  • Yakuza 6: The Song of Life [XB1/XS/PC] - March 25
  • SaGa Frontier Remastered [PS4/Switch/mobile/PC] - April 15
  • Judgment [PS5/XS/Stadia] - April 23
  • Cris Tales [PS5/XS/PS4/XB1/Switch/PC/Stadia]
  • Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis [XS/XB1/PC]

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Im confident in Starfield releasing this year so that

also Im gonna finally jump into the dlc for Outer Worlds once the last one comes out, cautiously optimistic for Pokemon Shine bright like a diamond, The Ascent, and Cris Tales, I'm sure there's plenty I'm missing that are on my steam list.

OMG how can I forget my most anticipated game of the year freaking Mass Effect remaster.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've just started Bravely Default 2. After that Im looking forward to the dungeon crawl Savior of Sapphire Wings next month.
Then the Switch port of Ys IX in June, and Monster Hunter Stories in the summer.
The Outer Worlds DLC I've got my eye on, also SMTIII and SMTV.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa I completely missed that Yakuza 6 was coming to other platforms, nice

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Im confident in Starfield releasing this year so that

also Im gonna finally jump into the dlc for Outer Worlds once the last one comes out, cautiously optimistic for Pokemon Shine bright like a diamond, The Ascent, and Cris Tales, I'm sure there's plenty I'm missing that are on my steam list.

OMG how can I forget my most anticipated game of the year freaking Mass Effect remaster.
I hope you're right about Starfield. I need to read about The Ascent, I only know the name.

Cris Tales had a demo that was really good, and it is coming for gamepass this summer I think?

I think it is among my most awaited rpgs. I love original rpgs.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Tales of Arise, Digimon Survive and SMT V...

giphy.gif

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
I kinda want to play SMT 3, which is dated for Spring 2021 but, it doesn't have a firm date yet so it'll probably slip to later this year.

Also, RPG site is classifying Loop Hero as RPG, although its probably more Rogue Like than RPG. The early footage makes the game look really good though.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
There will be many games I want to play:
Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Tales of Arise (if it will get a 2021 release)
Diablo 2 Resurrected
Nier Replicant
Yuffie DLC for FF 7 Remake Intergrade
Horizon Forbidden West (but I think it will release in 2022)

Last edited:

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Ummm I don't see Elden ring...

Sounds like someone has gone hollow

also I'm pretty confident on starfield and super excited to see what that is!

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Tales-of-Arise-new-screenshot.jpg

Tales of Arise, the JRPG I'm excited and looking forward to the most. Between the understandable delay out of last year and the lack of news for almost 2 years now the wait has been painful. I don't think we've gotten any new news, screenshots or info, other than the delay news about the game since it was first announced at E3 2019

tumblr_pxv3yw1iE31tw0kwco3_500.gif

Game looks incredible. I really hope it releases this year.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
It's just a remaster, but SMT III on Switch.

SMT V should also come out this year but I doubt it honestly

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wanna say SMTV but i have a bad feeling about it making 2021...

other than that, from that list i'm interested in:
- gnosia
- monster hunter rise
- disco elysium console port
- smt 3 HD
- twewy 2
- pokemon brilliant diamond

Last edited:

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. That and maybe Starfield are all I'm really looking forward to for a very long time (since TES 6, Stalker 2 and Dragons Dogma 2 are at least 3-6 years out).

gaiadyne

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rune Factory 5, Shin Megami Tensei V, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Neo: The World Ends With You, Starfield

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Oh no, not really. I was thinking about all rpgs :)

Anyway I think Mass Effect is the only western RPG I expect to buy this year so far.

Oh, I don't think Arise will come out this year, sadly.

There has to be something else that's not set in stone.

I won't name that From game until they show it again.

Edit: Oh yeah! Monster Hunter Stories 2 looks really cool.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Legends of Mana, Monster Hunter Stories 2, and Rune Factory 5 are also exciting 2021 RPGs that aren't on that list.

I really really hope Tales of Arise comes out this year but I could see it being delayed.

And of course there's also Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl ^_^

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Tales-of-Arise-new-screenshot.jpg

Tales of Arise, the JRPG I'm excited and looking forward to the most. Between the understandable delay out of last year and the lack of news for almost 2 years now the wait has been painful. I don't think we've gotten any new news, screenshots or info, other than the delay news about the game since it was first announced at E3 2019

tumblr_pxv3yw1iE31tw0kwco3_500.gif

Game looks incredible. I really hope it releases this year.
Nah, we did get new stuff at TGS that year too, including a look at a probable party member at the end:

The Tales of Festival which was delayed out of June last year is coming up March 6th through 7th, so hopefully we get something there.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I just feel like preemptively mentioning I am the writer of the list linked in the OP and I pretty much construct it solo. I'm intentionally a bit broad with the RPG definition which is why you see things like Judgment or Outriders or Mario Golf (lol) on there, please don't yell at me.

If there's anything missing or outdated, feel free to let me know. Sometimes it's a lot to keep track of, especially the indie scale stuff.

My answer btw is:

Saviors of Sapphire Wings / Stranger of Sword City Revisited
SaGa Frontier Remastered
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (PC)
NEO: The World Ends With You (really not sure if the battles will translate to 3D, but I'll give it a shot)
SMT V (if it actually lands this year)

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Tales of Arise, Monster Hunter Stores and Cris Tales are the ones I'm mainly interested in. Rune Factory looks interesting but I'm not sold on it yet.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Kingdoms of Amalur is coming to Switch in March.
Always wanted to play it, and if the Switch port is good I'll definitely pick it up.

Mass Effect Trilogy I'll 100% be getting and will probably play through each game at least twice if not more over time.

Those Mana and Saga remasters coming to Switch also got my interest. Never touch either of those series, but the games looked pretty great in that Nintendo Direct. If they're priced well I can see myself giving them a shot (I'll do some research to see if they're even games I'd like first of course, haha).

Sports Story (sequel to Golf Story) I'll be getting day 1 whenever it releases this year. Golf Story was fantastic, very funny, lots of fun, a lot of variety, and I was happy to have a Golf RPG since Nintendo stopped doing it for so long.
If the new Mario Golf's story mode is anywhere near as fully featured I'll probably get that too.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you confident in this? We've seen next to nothing of the game, and we're in the midst of the pandemic which seemed to be adding six months to a year to every game's dev time.

Bethesda does short announcement to releases for their games, insiders have said they were aiming for a 2021 release date several months ago.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Diablo 2 remake when i was a kid i only had consoles and always wanted to give it a go and now got a proper way to do so

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, I just feel like preemptively mentioning I am the writer of the list linked in the OP and I pretty much construct it solo. I'm intentionally a bit broad with the RPG definition which is why you see things like Judgment or Outriders or Mario Golf (lol) on there, please don't yell at me.

If there's anything missing or outdated, feel free to let me know. Sometimes it's a lot to keep track of, especially the indie scale stuff.

My answer btw is:

Saviors of Sapphire Wings / Stranger of Sword City Revisited
Saga Frontier Remastered
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (PC)
NEO: The World Ends With You (really not sure if the battles will translate will the 3D, but I'll give it a shot)
SMT V (if it actually lands this year)
Thank you, your list is the best I have found. I hope copy-pasting from it was ok for you :)

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Starfield is also a new IP, unlike Fallout 4 and 76, so they might want to give it a longer promotional cycle.

And of course, after the reaction to CP2077 (and FO76, honestly), I think they might not want to release a game with the usual levels of BGS launch polish.

Oct 27, 2017
Tales of Arise
ME:LE
I'm seeing other peeps say H:FW personally I think of that as action adventure, but hey if it counts then that too.

i'll be waiting until I get a PS5 for them though

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't followed Starfield or Elden Ring at all and even I know those games aren't releasing this year. Really set your expectations accordingly. Think of how many games were delayed last year and double it.

Now despite having no set release date I could see SMT 3 and Sports Story released this year both of which I'm curious about.