• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite RPG progression system?

• Traditional (JRPG): let me grind up to level 100 and destroy everything in front of me

Votes: 310 41.8%
  • Learn by doing (Elder Scrolls): gain experience in specific skills by doing them

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • Loot-only (Monster Hunter): no leveling up, it's all about getting more powerful gear

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • Levels + skill (Dark Souls): leveling up can make your life easier, but you can still beat any enemy

Votes: 251 33.9%
  • Level scaling (Assassin's Creed): let me level up, but level the world up around me as well

Votes: 11 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 32 4.3%

• Total voters

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That wall of text does nothing to distract from the fact that you worked hardest on that clickbait title. Get out of here with that.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
RPGs are only truly bad when the leveling mechanic is pointless because the game offers nothing in the way of challenge or player choice. Like pokemon sword which is extremely bad.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
In the last 30 years or so or RPG design, your character(s) level is less of a limitation on how strong of an enemy you can beat, and more of a way for less skilled players to brute-force their way past difficult enemies by grinding a lot. I am fine with leveling as a mechanic since it enables interesting things like skill systems, without tying them to exploration or story completion.

But i would also welcome more RPGs taking their cues from Chrono Cross. That game could actually be a little bit difficult at times, since there wasn't much leeway to strengthen the party if you did happen to get stuck on a boss.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Leveling up and becoming more powerful is my favorite part of RPGS ahead of story even. Give me cool characters, good loot, and quality battle mechanics and I'm good.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Levels in Elder Scrolls have prevented me from beating any of them. Bethesda needs better design around enemy levelling.
Any amount of grind makes me stop playing a JRPG.
I agree levels can be a bit of a scourge even though I really love levelling up my character. I'm happy for different games to experiment with systems but I wouldn't want levels to disappear completely.

Siobhan

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate gameplay which challenges my systems knowledge, quick thinking, and manual dexterity. Vertical power progression disrupts the integrity of such challenges. Furthermore, I have no appreciation for the myriad ends for which vertical power progression is a suitable means. In conclusion, I will be resurrecting Gary Gygax so that I can personally kick his ass.

Nov 14, 2017
OP's example was a little weird - XC (remake) Expert mode gives you complete control over your parties level, so it's up to you to make the final encounter a challenging (or a pushover) battle whichever you feel like. I'm playing the same game now, and I feel it's a perfect solution.

+ 1 for use of 'ludonarrative dissonance'
But -1 again for the fact that his use of it is exactly the opposite of what it means.

GrayDock

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The one thing I don't like is using the same model for different level enemies, so a blue crab is level 5 and the same crab, but yellow, is level 10? Sometimes is used the same model and color, but it's level is higher because it's location is different. This really bothers me. Do some model modifications, like an extra horn, some extra legs or at least a different texture.
For human enemies I think a different armor can work to differentiate enemies.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You make a great point really. Not saying levels and battles shouldn't exist but a lot of time in rpgs is spent doing the same stuff over and over.
That's literally video games though? Doing the same stuff over and over but with different window dressing. Every FPS has your shooting the same bad guys or demon throughout the game, sometimes maybe they have a shield or something, but you're still doing the same shit constantly throughout every single video game.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I'm pretty glad it's not, as it's extremely exploitable and leads to a lot unfun degenerate play.

In games where XP is limited to quests, exploration, and combat encounters, that means you are pushed to keep engaging with those in order to progress. It's a positive feedback loop where you have to do quests to get stronger and getting stronger unlocks more quests to do, which is to the benefit of the game assuming the quests are good.

In Elder Scrolls frequently doing quests is one of the less efficient uses of your time if you want to level up. Why sneak through a dungeon past a bunch of Draugr to get half a Sneak level when you can crouch behind an immortal NPC and stab them with a dagger for 20 minutes to gain 10 levels? Why slowly work your way up the smithing ladder to make better gear when the best XP/hour is spamming hundreds and hundreds of iron daggers? And they removed the Athletics and Acrobatics stuff in Skyrim, but before that it was the silliest of all, where you leveled up interminably slowly unless you a)jumped constantly everywhere you walked or b) found a room with a very low ceiling and just spammed the jump button for an hour to grind.

That's compounded with the way individual skill level ups contribute to your overall character level too. In Oblivion you level up after 10 skill levels, regardless of what they are, and enemies scale to your level. That means for every Mercantile and Smithing level you gain, enemies get (on average) 1/10th of a level stronger while your combat prowess is completely unchanged. That's why unless you've extensively planned out how to minmax the game Oblivion generally gets harder and harder over time and most fans recommend slowly lowering the difficulty as you level up.

I hear you, but if people are out to exploit games, then they only have themselves to blame. The more you try to build systems that resist exploitation, the more you restrict player freedom. Skyrim is wide open to exploits, but it's also wide open to role playing and that's the trade off. If someone wants to jump up and down on the spot for an hour to max out their athletics, then I guess good for them, I hope it doesn't ruin things for them, but I'd rather programmers spend time building cool experiences rather than chasing exploits (at least in single player games).

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I hear you, but if people are out to exploit games, then they only have themselves to blame. The more you try to build systems that resist exploitation, the more you restrict player freedom. Skyrim is wide open to exploits, but it's also wide open to role playing and that's the trade off. If someone wants to jump up and down on the spot for an hour to max out their athletics, then I guess good for them, I hope it doesn't ruin things for them, but I'd rather programmers spend time building cool experiences rather than chasing exploits (at least in single player games).
I definitely understand feeling that way, but my in my experience I get a lot of fun out of strategizing and trying to figure out the best way to progress. For example I'm a big fan of the SMT games which expect you to come up with the most broken combinations of buffs and debuffs and weaknesses and exploits you can find and are balanced around people doing that. Another obvious example (which I have a creeping suspicion you like) are the Souls games, which have tons of unique and clever ways to approach problems and allow for tons of player expression without ever fully losing the core of the experience. Then, turning around and going back to Skyrim suddenly if I play my preferred way the game devolves into a terrible slog and I have to purposefully hold back to not make it trivially easy and boring.

Basically I get the most fun out of RPGs when I'm allowed to go all out and the systems push back in a satisfying and challenging ways. When playing optimally breaks the game, that puts the onus on the player to constantly resist playing too well and ruining their own experience — basically asking them to design the game for themselves.

OP
OP
Arithmetician

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
When playing optimally breaks the game, that puts the onus on the player to constantly resist playing too well and ruining their own experience — basically asking them to design the game for themselves.

Exactly. I don't want to be in charge of determining how difficult the game should be at each point. That's what game design is all about; the developers should design encounters to be as difficult as they need to be at every point in the game.

Also, if you're going to scale the world's levels with the player's levels, why have levels at all? Developers clearly have an expectation that players should be level 15 at this stage, 45 at that stage, to face off against level 15 and 45 enemies. If you're always supposed to be the same level as the enemy, levels aren't adding much to the game really.

Nov 14, 2017
I definitely understand feeling that way, but my in my experience I get a lot of fun out of strategizing and trying to figure out the best way to progress. For example I'm a big fan of the SMT games which expect you to come up with the most broken combinations of buffs and debuffs and weaknesses and exploits you can find and are balanced around people doing that. Another obvious example (which I have a creeping suspicion you like) are the Souls games, which have tons of unique and clever ways to approach problems and allow for tons of player expression without ever fully losing the core of the experience. Then, turning around and going back to Skyrim suddenly if I play my preferred way the game devolves into a terrible slog and I have to purposefully hold back to not make it trivially easy and boring.

Basically I get the most fun out of RPGs when I'm allowed to go all out and the systems push back in a satisfying and challenging ways. When playing optimally breaks the game, that puts the onus on the player to constantly resist playing too well and ruining their own experience — basically asking them to design the game for themselves.
I think this comes down to whether you're invested in role playing or not. Within any sufficiently complex system, there is likely to be an optimal path that is degenerate. I think Souls games (and action games in general) can be more focused in that regard because all the system are just supporting combat. In more story driven games, I think it's important for there to be other rewards such as narrative / story elements that you might not see if you play in a degenerate way. Obviously Skyrim so open-ended that you can pretty much get away with anything though.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
I actually prefer how a lot of immersive sims do it. Deus Ex: Human Revolution/Mankind Divided, Prey, Dishonored. Finding and earning upgrade points to unlock new skills or enhance your abilities.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this thread and its shitty title.

That said, there are other systems missing in the survey that I would vote for, like Deus Ex / Fallout style perks and skill trees, which are my favorite.

Or what the poster above me said, damnit

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
you know, there was a time where when you didn't like things you would just ignore them and focused your attention on what you liked, instead of wishing they didn't exist.

Fuck this thread and its shitty title.

That said, there are other systems missing in the survey that I would vote for, like Deus Ex / Fallout style perks and skill trees, which are my favorite.

Or what the poster above me said, damnit

I don't agree with OP either, but you need to calm down lol.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Because you don't like the design, doesn't mean it's bad design.

I like grinding in games, it's relaxing, it's interesting to see how I get stronger in game.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I think this comes down to whether you're invested in role playing or not. Within any sufficiently complex system, there is likely to be an optimal path that is degenerate. I think Souls games (and action games in general) can be more focused in that regard because all the system are just supporting combat. In more story driven games, I think it's important for there to be other rewards such as narrative / story elements that you might not see if you play in a degenerate way. Obviously Skyrim so open-ended that you can pretty much get away with anything though.
I sort of agree in a way, but my counterargument would be if modern BGS is going to throw up their hands and let people break the game if they want, they don't do it enough. Like Morrowind is even more broken and exploitable in Skyrim, but breaking the game there is actually tons of fun since it requires no grinding and leads to you gaining the ability to jump over mountains or fly over any obstacle or turn completely invisible and wreak havoc on a small town of completely clueless NPCs who have no idea what's happening. Plus, you put it at odds with role-playing, but the lore of Morrowind is such that breaking the game with magic like that is entirely justified in universe, and is in fact how certain gods in the pantheon rose to god status.

So that's why Skyrim is sort of the unfortunate middle ground. It's not balanced enough to make strategizing and minmaxing satisfying, but it's not sandbox-y enough to make shattering reality through the sheer force of your character's will fun or engaging.

Exactly. I don't want to be in charge of determining how difficult the game should be at each point. That's what game design is all about; the developers should design encounters to be as difficult as they need to be at every point in the game.

Also, if you're going to scale the world's levels with the player's levels, why have levels at all? Developers clearly have an expectation that players should be level 15 at this stage, 45 at that stage, to face off against level 15 and 45 enemies. If you're always supposed to be the same level as the enemy, levels aren't adding much to the game really.
I definitely am generally not a fan of level scaling either, at least when not done extremely conservatively.

But I think saying encounters should be designed at a static, bespoke difficulty loses something special about RPGs. Obviously for many games that works well, but the interesting thing about RPGs is how the systems allow for the experience to change based on your own choices. So a game where you start with all your skills maxed out, like you suggested, will always provide the same experience for each encounter to everyone who plays it. Meanwhile, a game where the player character grows along different paths depending on how you play allows for the same bossfight to play out entirely differently depending on whether you upgraded your weapon a certain way or leveled up magic or rely on a shield build or whatever. That reactivity would be lost.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
RPGs are bad game design and shouldn't exist anymore

tumblr_pxpjmiSSxg1vdshbno3_500.jpg

Nov 14, 2017
I sort of agree in a way, but my counterargument would be if modern BGS is going to throw up their hands and let people break the game if they want, they don't do it enough. Like Morrowind is even more broken and exploitable in Skyrim, but breaking the game there is actually tons of fun since it requires no grinding and leads to you gaining the ability to jump over mountains or fly over any obstacle or turn completely invisible and wreak havoc on a small town of completely clueless NPCs who have no idea what's happening. Plus, you put it at odds with role-playing, but the lore of Morrowind is such that breaking the game with magic like that is entirely justified in universe, and is in fact how certain gods in the pantheon rose to god status.

So that's why Skyrim is sort of the unfortunate middle ground. It's not balanced enough to make strategizing and minmaxing satisfying, but it's not sandbox-y enough to make shattering reality through the sheer force of your character's will fun or engaging.
This I absolutely agree with about Bethesda games. It would be better if they leaned more into the meta stuff that made Morrowind lore so great!

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I think this complaint very much comes from the idea that some people don't like grinding in games.

On one hand, if you don't have any grinding, levels and stats become pointless.

On the other hand, hunting the same random encounters and over and over again can be boring.

I'm reminded of Dragon Quest III, where you could very quickly end up in the fourth village (Kanave in the English DWIII), and be getting your ass handed to you by Giant Crabs because you're underleveled. You needed to grind to get up to around level 11 to be safe with the encounters in the area.

Similarly, there was a section of forest east of Kanave where much stronger enemies were available to fight that could wipe you in a single round. You could use this to very quickly level your party but you were also taking a big risk of getting killed and losing half your gold. That was part of the challenge. You are restricted by your relative strength, but could pull off a victory against three Executioners if you managed to put them to sleep effectively and hammered away until they died, resulting in a massive experience and gold haul. But you could also run into two Old Hags who could Firebane you to death in a round or two.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't like leveling up and the rewards it brings, considering its one of the hallmarks of RPGs... shouldn't you simply drop the genre and move to things that actually interest you, OP?

I dislike shooters, but that doesn't mean they're bad game design that shouldn't exist. It simply means they're not for me.

At this point in time, I'm starting to think that any discussion that involves the words "game design" should be banned unless the creator of the thread can prove they know about the topic, because its kind of insulting to the people who actually know and work in the industry.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I don't have time to read all of this quite yet. I've recently come along to the ideas that stat based levels are inherently poor design too. They remove a lot of space for intentional design and require a lot of finnicky and frankly impossible balancing to arrive at something that still doesn't quite work in a one size fits all way.

At best, their negative effects can be modulated down by other systems -- this is not exactly a ringing endorsement. In most cases, just straight up removing the leveling system would improve the game.

Incremental equipment improvements that only pad stats by small percentages are the EXACT same thing as levels in most scenarios. They are just time gated. Hell half the time you get the equipment by grinding for money (i.e. a different kind of exp) or drops (basically randomized exp).

Qualitative skills that change your action-space, e.g traditional Zelda or Metroidvania type skills can work fine though. If these are gated by exp or time (i.e. levels) than that's fine.

Not a lot of time to expand but just again saying this is a good conversation.

Most game mechanics discussions don't really distil down to the essence of the thing. E.g. what is a level? What is exp? Really its mostly time doing certain activities. Is gold just another type of exp then? (Yes). Is a game that is progressed by repeating the same actions until stats go up really any different mechanically from an idle game like cookie clicker (of course it is different, but seeing the similarities and working them out is enlightening). There are better more intuitive abstractions we can probably use than exp nowadays, that will in the end amount to similar end results.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I'm playing Final Fantasy V for the first time and it makes me appreciate traditional JRPG in a way I have never done before. Magnificent piece of game design that behaves like a programming language.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Honestly, I read a thread title this obnoxious and I'm not gonna read the OP by default, don't care how well thought out it is. Cut the clickbait shit. I'm so sick of 'xyz is bad game design and shouldn't exist because I, the ultimate master of video games, know better than the entirety of game developers out there' thread titles in general.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I hear what you're saying, but Persona 5 Royal is the best game I have ever played, so I'm just gonna do my own thing man, and you do yours.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I read a thread title this obnoxious and I'm not gonna read the OP by default, don't care how well thought out it is. Cut the clickbait shit. I'm so sick of 'xyz is bad game design and shouldn't exist because I, the ultimate master of video games, know better than the entirety of game developers out there' thread titles in general.
This, millions of people enjoy this game design so I really don't care if you think it's outdated or whatever OP.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
This, millions of people enjoy this game design so I really don't care if you think it's outdated or whatever OP.
It's an inflammatory title but the measure of whether a design is elegant and parsimonious probably should have no relation to whether people enjoy it. People love literal slot machines. That is not a reason to just say shut up we can't talk about this.

It becomes more of an academic and abstract level of criticism which games doesn't have too often. But I think it's interesting! You can still go play the games it's not going to hurt your identity to critique the mechanical design

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
However, for every RPG i have played over the course of my life, I have liked it not *because* it was an RPG, but *despite* it being an RPG. I love the stories, characters, art direction, exploration, meaningful choices, customization, and combat systems that games in the genre offer. I love the sense of exploring a living, breathing foreign world, with its own history, rules, and personalities.

But in order to experience all those elements, I have to tolerate the boredom and the ludonarrative dissonance that comes with the awful idea that there will be certain enemies I cannot defeat, not because my reflexes aren't sharp enough, nor because my battle strategy is substandard, but because my *level* is not high enough. There's nothing more disappointing, more immersion-breaking, than being faced with an enemy that's level 20, and you *know* you're skilled enough to beat it or at least try, but you can't just yet because you're level 10, so the game requires you to mindlessly defeat dozens of random enemies for minutes (or hours) so you can raise your level and face your enemy.

That's...not ludonarrative dissonance. I'm not even sure what you're describing here, to be honest. If a game uses "level" to signify a character's combat parameters, and under the game's rules it is impossible for a level 10 character to beat a level 20 character, then how can you say that your battle strategy is fine or that you "know" you're skilled enough to beat the fight? Your strategy is broken at a fundamental level: you chose an opponent your character is not strong enough to defeat. If what you want is an RPG where the stat spread is narrow and/or the rules permit a beginning character to kill any advanced character, there are plenty of those. Everyone's already pointed out to you that the Souls games work like this. Some Fire Emblem games can be beaten with zero growths. Multiple FF games have been beaten at Level 1.

Is this fun? No. Does it teach the player anything? Also no, in the vast majority of the cases you are not really honing your skills (strategic prowess for turn-based RPGs and dexterity for action RPGs) while leveling up. Does it make sense in-universe? Absolutely not. This tiny rabbit shouldn't ever be more difficult to defeat than that huge dragon, but because of the way games lay out their progression, it frequently ends up being the case that the rabbit might be level 40 so it's much more difficult to defeat than that level 20 dragon you defeated in a boss battle a few hours ago.

Leveling up is fun for many players. Setting aside the simple (but easily manipulated and ultimately empty) pleasure of seeing bars fill/numbers get bigger, players get into the simulation aspect of the game and enjoy the fact that their character is "more powerful" within the game's universe, with new abiliites, access to new areas, etc. Can these rewards be replicated in a game without a "level" parameter? Of course. But that doesn't show that levels are bad design.

I'm not sure why you can't imagine a specific kind of make-believe rabbit being more powerful than a specific kind of make-believe dragon, but it seems to me there are two solutions that are each relatively common in the RPG world: (1) art and world designers save more intimidating-looking enemy types for later in the game and hint, in dialogue, why bunnies on Island 5 are tougher than dragons on island 1; (2) in more simulation-focused CRPGs, it's possible to see low-level enemies in high-level areas, and vice-versa.

Yet, so many of the greatest games of today and yesterday insist on basing themselves completely around the idea of defeating enemies, with no challenge, to increase your stats before you can face other enemies. This needs to stop. We need to ban leveling up from games. Let's free RPGs, which are some of the greatest games ever, to become even better by freeing them of the experience points to level up paradigm.

Games that genuinely depend on the player grinding trash mobs to increase stats are relatively rare and also not the greatest games of today. I don't mean that "needing to level" is rare but that good games try to keep even "easy" encounters relatively engaging and tune experience/loot distribution so that a typical player does not have to intentionally grind levels in order to advance.

Levels are a crutch. They are bad game design.

It seems like you spent more time writing this post than actually thinking about why designers use level systems.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I'd wager most people like character progression in RPG ( and not only RPG tbh ).
One option could be to tie that progression to the story ( and/or remove the option to freely grind, a la Fire Emblem depending on the difficulty ), making it easier to balance fight across the game. But many people do enjoy the ability to tackle a difficult fight not only by getting better at the game but also through getting your party stronger ( level up, farm gear ).

Imho more option should always be the answer, level scaling and/or no possible grind as an option, things like :
c79f25ff935ece2ce2205287365ccec9.png

should become the norm ( among other things simply because difficulty is subjective ).

Let's take Fire Emblem as an example, I loved the last game, but I hate the fact that the freedom of grinding is part of the difficulty, and not a separate toggle like perma death. So you either have the choice to be able to grind in a difficulty where it's already easy without it, and you can't grind to aleviate the difficulty when the game is actually hard, makes no sense at all QoL wise.

XCDE expert mode with it's ability to store xp is not a prefect answer to a difficulty settings, but it's already a very usefull start.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's an inflammatory title but the measure of whether a design is elegant and parsimonious probably should have no relation to whether people enjoy it. People love literal slot machines. That is not a reason to just say shut up we can't talk about this.

It becomes more of an academic and abstract level of criticism which games doesn't have too often. But I think it's interesting! You can still go play the games it's not going to hurt your identity to critique the mechanical design
When the title of the thread says the game design shouldn't exist any more, there is no conversation to be had beyond agreeing or disagreeing. Millions disagree, and my thoughts on the matter end there.

Oct 25, 2017
You still haven't answered the fundamental question about levels in RPGs: if you don't have character levels or stats, how do you represent the progression of the player character? That's a fundamental part of the genre that makes them distinct from skill based action games.

There has to be some kind of representation of the player character, otherwise you're not playing a role - you are just controling an avatar.

We already have the answer to this, though. If you don't have levels you just differentiate through abilities, gear, and well, anything really. You can show how much a character has progressed in any number of ways. You can give this stuff to the player in any number of ways as well. Via story milestones, sold through shops, given as quest rewards, found in the world, etc. This can work for both action games and turn-based games and anything in between.

Filling bars and going from level 3 to 4 is fine, and it's fine to enjoy it. Many do. And it's probably used so often for that very reason, but it isn't an inherently fundamental and immutable aspect of character progression, even in an RPG.

Nov 8, 2017
<Lots of good points>

I agree with a lot of these points, and I think there is a line that can be walked where you can still have traditional levels that allow you to grind levels without ruining balance. The problem is that it's difficult to do this, especially for the entire game.

The most successful games I've seen so this are ones that rely on gear, or distribute major experience from boss battles and insignificant amounts from common enemies. If you go sidequesting and encounter bosses you'll be able to level up more than normal, but if you just get into a lot of battles and explore you'll still be in the normal range for that part of the game. At the same time this completely discourages grinding without resolving the underlying issues you mentioned.

It's easy to see what happens when devs attempt to solve this problem with a mechanic rather than fine tuning the game. You get FF8's junction system, Oblivion's level ups, or worse.

There are also games that handle this very well, some of which were already mentioned. I want to call out Paper Mario and Paper Mario: TTYD as a couple games that make this work very well.There is no grinding required and any extra grinding you so slowly slips away to nothing as you won't gain exp from certain enemies if you are too high a level. There are also few stats and things to manage, and damage in the game is largely skill based as you press times commands to do extra damage or reduce damage taken.

I don't think JRPGs, especially long ones, work well with these ideas without making levels completely irrelevant. The whole point is to have levels and have them mean something, otherwise it's just another kind of game.

Jun 13, 2020
Seriously though, why is it so tough for people to get that some games are just not for them and that's okay? I don't like MMORPGs but I don't think they are inherently awful and should be abolished. I don't think I'll ever get into Dark Souls but I'm not going to demand Dark Souls to cater to my whims.

You guys realize how many games there are right? They don't make like 5 games a year and that's it, there's literally hundreds made every year of all types and kinds, why does every single game ever made have to appeal to everybody?

If some people here were listened to all games out be ACTION FUNTIME MAGIC HOUR, a game where you press a button once and then the game ends.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
OP has a point. Level up is a poor and artificial way of simulating enhanced skills.
The problem is: how can you incorporate the skill progress into a game mechanic?

I think it is still possible to use the level, but they could be better incorporated into the gameplay.
For example, a system where heavy weapons make you slow at first, but the more you use them the better you get at moving with them.
An ability fails at first, but the more you use, the better the hit/fail ratio.

All of this would make the stats better up to a limit, and after that is your own ability as a player that makes you better.

Nov 14, 2017
We already have the answer to this, though. If you don't have levels you just differentiate through abilities, gear, and well, anything really. You can show how much a character has progressed in any number of ways. You can give this stuff to the player in any number of ways as well. Via story milestones, sold through shops, given as quest rewards, found in the world, etc. This can work for both action games and turn-based games and anything in between.

Filling bars and going from level 3 to 4 is fine, and it's fine to enjoy it. Many do. And it's probably used so often for that very reason, but it isn't an inherently fundamental and immutable aspect of character progression, even in an RPG.
But that's just power increase via another means. It's fundamentally still the same underlying mechanic - the numbers are getting bigger to represent an increase in character power. That's not the same as performance being dictated via player skill, which is what the OP was originally asking for.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the bias in the options. I doubt many people actually play jrpgs like this.
let me grind up to level 100 and destroy everything in front of me

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite progression system is getting gear that aren't straight upgrade or downgrade but rather offer their own specific advantages or even allow you to access unique skills at the cost of lower defence/whatever and skill choice customization with a skill tree or just a list of skill like in gw1. That and being able to enchant gear with stuff like cards in Ragnarok Online. I honestly think a tough as nail fully open mmo with no level is the way to go for this genre.

Oct 25, 2017
But that's just power increase via another means. It's fundamentally still the same underlying mechanic - the numbers are getting bigger to represent an increase in character power. That's not the same as performance being dictated via player skill, which is what the OP was originally asking for.

No, getting a new ability (among other things) isn't fundamentally the same as leveling up stats. They can be. And they are if you're only thinking in terms of numbers, but that's the inherent issue isn't it? I didn't mention numbers, and they don't necessarily need to get bigger. And I didn't mention player skill either as I know that's not what we're talking about at the moment.

Going from a mage that only knows one basic fireball projectile spell to a mage that knows the fireball projectile, a firewall terrain effect, a "sunburn" damage over time, a steam attack that obscures vision, etc. etc. isn't fundamentally the same as going from a mage that knows Fire1 and has 15 MP to a mage that know Fire3 and has 50 MP.

Now, of course you can achieve those more diverse abilities via leveling up. But it isn't an inherent necessity. And that's not even counting every other potential aspect of character progression that games can and have done.

Leveling is fine, but it absolutely is not the only way for games (RPGs included) to show meaningful character progression.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you. I like stats, stats are good. But they should match up with the visual representation you're seeing in the game. All I want is for every boss to have higher stats than every random enemy, and that for enemies that look the same to have the same.

Pokémon is a good example. A lvl 100 Charmander should not be stronger than a lvl 32 Charizard. It just shouldn't. Every Charizard has to be stronger than Charmander, the thing looks intimidating. The stats need to match the sprites.
What you are asking for isn't even consistent with the rules of the fictional world you are saying has 'ludonarrative dissonance'. The pokemon series (all conceptions of it in media, not just games) has Pokemon that are not evolved being able to defeat bigger, more evolved pokemon through having more experience, a more competent trainer, a better strategy that takes advantage of their type differences, small size, or speed or agility. Even in the games evolution is a tradeoff due to non-evolved pokemon learning moves earlier than evolved pokemon, or sometimes having different movelists/types than their evolved forms.

You literally don't know what you are talking about here.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
OP has a point. Level up is a poor and artificial way of simulating enhanced skills.
The problem is: how can you incorporate the skill progress into a game mechanic?

I think it is still possible to use the level, but they could be better incorporated into the gameplay.
For example, a system where heavy weapons make you slow at first, but the more you use them the better you get at moving with them.
An ability fails at first, but the more you use, the better the hit/fail ratio.

All of this would make the stats better up to a limit, and after that is your own ability as a player that makes you better.
But you already have games that incorporate that.

Fire Emblem, for example - try giving a heavy weapon (a steel one, for example) to a low level unit. Even though his average attack will be higher he'll be doubled due to his strength and speed not being enough to compensate for the weapon's extra weight. Either you accept the penalty for the moment or change to a weaker weapon.
However, when you start leveling up that unit maybe he'll have enough strength to use the weapon without being doubled. Or if it goes the way of a tank, it will be able to take more hits from the enemy due to having more HP.

Most games that have stats have some mechanics associated with them, they aren't just for show.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Love good stories but don't like playing RPGs? I have good news, you can turn to 100s of other things. You don't need to label an entire genre's design bad and clamour for it to end...just go play/watch/read something else.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I understand op's points, but the type of rpgs they want can exist alongside traditional rpgs. Since it sounds like they just want a different kind of battle system.