• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Origins and Odyssey are essentially action RPGs.
Odyssey is definitely more RPG like. There's more focus on different armor and weapon sets, skill trees and you can pick dialogue options for your characters. It's quite similar to The Witcher 3, only the choices you make (and the consequences they have) are much less meaningful and impactful in my opinion.
Well damn now I want to hop back in.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
holy shit didn't expect that #1
is botw considered an RPG? i honestly didn't know
good to see xeno 1 in top 5

edit: and yeah horizon in top 10 is a bit laughable.

Last edited:

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
10. Horizon Zero Dawn
20. Fallout: New Vegas

giphy.gif

Almost spit out my coffee

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love RPGs, but holy shit. What a terrible list.

Multiple Atelier games? No mention of Runic's Torchlight franchise? No Skyrim?

I love Dragon Quest more than any other JRPG franchise, and XI is overrated garbage compared to the rest of it's own series and spinoffs. Seriously, the biggest gimmick or cool thing about it was how there were multiple versions in development, and we didn't even get the 3DS one localized. The music in particular is generic trash in a loop for 100+ hours.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah I don't know, I've always thought myself being above of complaining about these kind of lists. I guess I'm not, that list is weird. I don't think I've ever seen Botw been called an RPG before. Don't get me wrong, it's hell of a game. But if it's supposed to be second best roleplaying experience on PC/consoles, then I must be mistaken what RPG:s are. That's not everything I disagree with on this list obviously (different tastes and all), but that really stands out being so highly placed.

Bummed that Disco placed so low, I think it's truly exceptional in bringing roleplaying to video game form.

Last edited:

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even the order I am questioning, since it's on opinion. Just some I wonder if they are RPGs.

Then again RPG is getting more and more nebulous as a genre.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I played Xenoblade 2 at launch so I missed that. Should give it another try sometime.

I will say that I like DQ11's implementation better, because other than 1 mod that ups enemy stats, the modifiers aren't just number changes. Stuff like not getting XP from enemies when you're overleveled and not being able to buy stuff change the gameplay in ways that just adjusting a slider doesn't.

I suppose. The big drawback of the draconian modifiers to me is that they're closer to something like challenge run flags rather than "proper" difficulty modifiers, i.e. you can only make the game harder for yourself and more importantly, I don't think you can toggle them on and off and on later on?

I agree that plain old number sliders are a bit more boring, but if I had to pick between the two, I'd definitely go with the one that offered genuine, granular difficulty customization. Theoretically actual gameplay changes are definitely more exciting, but I don't think DQXI's implementation of them is very good.

Weren't these locked behind the expansion pass or DLC? I played the game 6 months after release with all updates minus DLC and I never saw those sliders.

I honestly have no idea. Could swear it was a free patch, but you never know.

Oct 30, 2017
List is trash. No Pillars? No Shadowrun: Dragonfall? d:OS2 below F4? I mean, I like Banner Saga, but above Divinity OS2?
DQXI is beautiful and charming and comfy, and also, super boring.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
No Human Revolution, No Dark Souls 3, no Kingdom Come or ELEX. No Pathologic 2 or Prey!!!! Also there's no reality where Divinity Original 2, Bloodborne, and New Vegas aren't at least in the Top 10.

Yeah yeah, opinions , but I hate this list with the energy of 10000 dying suns. Way too much JRPG bias, and I say that as a fan of JRPGs

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
As soon as I saw DQ11 at the nº1 I didn't even bother to look at the rest of that crappy list.
I thought that game was awful. Bad localization, makes you backtrack the whole map twice, auto-combat, and it does absolutely nothing new.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
No Dragon's Dogma, No Dark Souls 3, no Kingdom Come or ELEX. No Pathologic 2 or Prey!!!! Also there's no reality where Divinity Original 2, Bloodborne, and New Vegas aren't at least in the Top 10.

Yeah yeah, opinions , but I hate this list with the energy of 10000 dying suns. Way too much JRPG bias, and I say that as a fan of JRPGs

FWIW, you can drop that to 9999 suns - Dragon's Dogma is #21.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
From a personal standpoint, this is easily one of the worst lists I've ever seen.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. 4 Trails games, 2 of which almost crack the top 10... talent won.

Awakening higher than Three Houses though? I don't know about that.

No Dragon's Dogma, No Dark Souls 3, no Kingdom Come or ELEX. No Human Revolution. No Pathologic 2 or Prey!!!! Also there's no reality where Divinity Original 2, Bloodborne, and New Vegas aren't at least in the Top 10.

Lmaaaaaaaooooo I stopped looking after DQ11 being #1. No new Vegas? No Original sin 2? No bloodborne? Lmaaaaaaaooooo

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
If an AC made the list, Odyssey would be the one. From the AC games of the last decade I'm sure most would consider it top three if not outright the best one.

My point was more about Odyssey not deserving to be on a top list of RPG titles. Both it and Origins certainly employ much more RPG systems in the pivot away from the franchise's older gameplay staples. The execution of those systems by Ubisoft is definitely a mixed bag.

Oct 27, 2017
HZD has less than a handful of choice and quest elements that affect who may be with you during the final battle. You have dialogue options throughout, but they are for aesthetic enjoyment only. Every run for every player is a bluegleam warrior solo run. I'm really stretching things here.

The list is a list of great games, for sure.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
It's... surprisingly not as bad as I thought?
I mean, the ranking is all over the place, but they effectively included Dragon Quest XI, the Atelier games, SaGa Scarlet Grace, Trails games, YS VIII, Fire Emblem and many more.
Though Xenoblade Chronicles and X are missing, so clearly it's not perfect.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It's... surprisingly not as bad as I thought?
I mean, the ranking is all over the place, but they effectively included Dragon Quest XI, the Atelier games, SaGa Scarlet Grace, Trails games, YS VIII, Fire Emblem and many more.
Though Xenoblade Chronicles and X are missing, so clearly it's not perfect.
XB1 is #5

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I think this is the worst TOP list I've ever seen, there were some "end of a decade" lists that almost rival it, but not quite. I would've expected trash like that from the fine people of Digitally Downloaded, but not from the site that is specializes on the genre.

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting choice for number 1. I loved DQ11 so that's fine with me. The immense love Mass Effect 2 gets still surprises me, I like it, but it's middle-tier Bioware and the point where they really started to slide for me.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Welp, that list is...something. Is Codex's list still the only one worth shit?

The RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs (With User Reviews!) :: rpg codex > doesn't scale to your level

RPG Codex > putting the 'role' back in role-playing. A highly prestigious gaming magazine with news and views on the latest and not so latest RPGs.

a lot better

but it's not just from this decade

1. Fallout New Vegas
2. The Age of Decadence
3. Dark Souls
4. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
5. The Witcher 3
6. Underrail
7. Grimoire
8. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
9. Dragon's Dogma
10. Divinity: Original Sin

is their top-10 for this decade

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
DQXI #1, Zelda on the list at all, Awakening higher than Conquest/Shadows of Valentia/Three Houses, Bravely Second over Default, Nier Automata #16.

This list is trash.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
DQ11 was the first Dragon Quest I've played and the last. My god it was boring and empty.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
44. Divinity: Original Sin 2
1. Dragon Quest 11

One is the defacto best cRPG in the past 20 years, the other is a generic, trope-infested snorefest that does absolutely NOTHING new. Ok, so this is what a virtual circus looks like.
I agree, I mean I know opinions and all that but there's a lot here I don't agree with, this especially.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

The RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs (With User Reviews!) :: rpg codex > doesn't scale to your level

RPG Codex > putting the 'role' back in role-playing. A highly prestigious gaming magazine with news and views on the latest and not so latest RPGs.

a lot better

but it's not just from this decade

1. Fallout New Vegas
2. The Age of Decadence
3. Dark Souls
4. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
5. The Witcher 3
6. Underrail
7. Grimoire
8. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
9. Dragon's Dogma
10. Divinity: Original Sin