• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017

Some quotes:

About the new additions to this version:
RPG Site: Let's talk about the Nintendo Switch specific content. What was your approach to this? Was it stuff left on the cutting room floor from the original release, or did you go in and try to figure out what to do afterwards?
Hokuto Okamoto: We were already talking about what kind of additional features we might want when we were during the development of the original Dragon Quest XI. We also decided on what new features to have based on... well, one thing was that the characters and the world of this game were very popular among the fans - so we wanted to add on to that. Also, the other thing is, since you could play both handheld and on the go we wanted it to be easy to play, and so that was also why we added some of the other new features to Dragon Quest XI S.

About the development and port/remake process:
RPG Site: What was the most challenging piece of development - either on this or on the original version of Dragon Quest XI?
Hokuto Okamoto: It's a bit technical, but we had some problems with the loading time. We were using Unreal Engine, and with this vast world and big cities we didn't want every single time you go somewhere to have a long loading time. We struggled a lot and we really worked on it for two years to have this balance of showing each new area smoothly - it was a lot of work.
It was our first time on Unreal Engine - and there were also some bugs within the engine that we had to fix to make everything run smoothly - that's why it took two years.
RPG Site: When you built the original game, did you build it knowing you were going to Switch - were you building it with the parameters of that machine in mind?
Yuji Horii: Yeah, we already knew at the start that it was going to be out on Switch, but we didn't have the Switch! [laughs] So we did know that it'd be going to the machine, but we didn't have the hardware, so we didn't know what to expect and couldn't prepare for it. Little by little, we got more information about the Switch from Nintendo, and we made progress through that step-by-step.

About the 2D mode:
RPG Site: Were there any interesting challenges in development in terms of ensuring that area design and elements like that work in both modes? Obviously they're very different in terms of how they represent the world...
Hokuto Okamoto: [laughs] Oh, it was hard. As you mentioned, the design of these areas is quite different and the size of the maps is very different between 2D and 3D. We still wanted players to recognize that the cities are the same even if they're really quite different. We had to choose what to leave in and what to leave out in terms of the geography of things, which landmarks to keep in the 2D version and so on... that was difficult, to determiner what we'd leave in and what we'd take out.
Another thing is that the text is different in 3D and 2D - so we have to manage all that at the same time. If we change one, it doesn't mean that the other changes automatically... so we had to change everything one-by-one. That was hard work. I never want to do that again! [laughs]

About fan feedback, same sex partner and music:
RPG Site: How much were you looking at fan feedback, critics and the like, to figure out where you wanted to go?
Yuji Horii: We did refer to some reviews and fan comments that we had, yes! One of them was that the players wanted to choose their partners more freely. So in the S version, we have the feature to choose whoever you want - that was based directly on fan feedback and comments. We've also heard comments from overseas fans, and one of them is the orchestrated music - overseas fans really wanted that in the game. Another thing is that the first DLC with Dragon Quest 8's costume and music, that was also very much demanded by the overseas fans.

More at the site. It's a really good, informative and lengthy interview. Definitely worth a read.

Last edited:

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm going into the game pretty blind, so I don't know what the deal with partners is, but from how OP presents that quote, it sounds like you get a love interest and the male party members are free game?

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I'm going into the game pretty blind, so I don't know what the deal with partners is, but from how OP presents that quote, it sounds like you get a love interest and the male party members are free game?
Based on my understanding of this game (I haven't actually played it, so I'm open to corrections):
  • You can "marry" a character in game
  • The original only lets you marry one specific character
  • The Switch version opens up every party member as a marriage option
  • Male members can't be "married" but you enter into a domestic relationship with them (marriage in all but name)

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's what they said about marriage stuff a few months ago FYI, via Gematsu:

"In the game's story you can marry [redacted due to spoilers], but I thought that people would want to choose from various characters, so we've added that," Horii said. "While it isn't marriage, you can even choose Erik or Hendrik—so you can choose the person you live with."

Producer Hokuto Okamoto supplemented Horii's statement, adding, "You can choose the partner you live with."

The most recent stuff still feels a bit vague to me and you never know with Japanese games, but I've got my fingers crossed.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I really hope we get a 2D spinoff series in the future thats meant to be a throwback series like FFIV After Years or FF Dimension.

XI looks absolutely beautiful and the idea of it being the last DQ like that is a sad prospect.

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
I would be genuinely shocked to see a same-sex romance option in a Dragon Quest game. And I say this as a gay man and lifelong DQ fan. If this is confirmed, I'm definitely double dipping on this version. You just know Sugiyama would be fuming over this and the orchestral soundtrack.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Has it been confirmed somewhere that all of the added features are Switch exclusive and will not be patched to the PS4 version?

For now it's Switch-only. When Square Enix was asked whether the vanilla version would receive the additional content as an update or DLC or whatever, they said they were "undecided."

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
This makes it even more disappointing that I can't play as woman. They're open to making changes based on feedback, and surely that's feedback they must have heard just as much as the marriage thing.

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018

Ah, I see, so it sounds like they distinguish between the two in the interview like a domestic partnership vs. marriage. Still a pretty big step (if a bit backhanded) for this series, I'll take it I guess.

And as the poster above me stated, the mainline entries also need to start giving the option to play as a female Hero. There's really no excuse especially when the main character is silent.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Ah, I see, so it sounds like they distinguish between the two in the interview like a domestic partnership vs. marriage. Still a pretty big step (if a bit backhanded) for this series, I'll take it I guess.

And as the poster above me stated, the mainline entries also need to start giving the option to play as a female Hero. There's really no excuse especially when the main character is silent.
Especially since older games in the series actually let you play as a woman.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
IV had a love interest that was always female, whether you played as Solo or Sofia. Sugiyama doesn't really represent DQ as a whole.

Monolith

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know there was same sex partnerships in DQXI S. :)

It's not exactly confirmed. It's been known for quite a while that for the men it isn't exactly a marriage. The article itself says it too.

Horii said. "While it isn't marriage, you can even choose Erik or Hendrik—so you can choose the person you live with."

So remember to temper you expectations on that and don't make it your only reason for double dipping.

OP
OP
Sagitario

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
RPG Site: What is it you think is special about video games as a form of storytelling, given you enjoy telling stories so much?

Yuji Horii:
It's simply really fun for me! [laughs] I think it's special that there's that level of interaction - it's not just one way. That also means there are many ways to surprise the users, and that's why I really enjoy doing storytelling on computers; I really like surprising users.

RPG Site: And how do you feel, Mr. Horii, about now working alongside people who played - people who worship at the altar of your previous games?

Yuji Horii:
So, I get a bit too tired when people see me as like a god! [laughs] I try to come down to earth myself to direct my people! Really, I have to be on the same level as the staff to create the game. I think you notice as you keep talking to me that I'm a bit of a joker...! People shouldn't be nervous.

I love how nice and candid Horii is :)