• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks to RPG Site for being the only site to give Scarlet Grace the attention it deserves :D

Regarding Disco Elysium, I've been hearing great things about it here, but the art just looks very distracting to me, so I don't think I can ever bring myself to play it ....

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Fire Emblem Three Houses is a great winner. Currently playing through the Trails of Cold Steel games (almost ready to start III) and I could see that game besting it. Good list.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Scarlet Grace is so good. I wish it was getting more coverage.

Oct 31, 2017
Disco Elysium got robbed.
Weird how a dedicated RPG site doesn't put it first, when it even wins GOTY from mainstream outlets.
Don't be fooled by the name. RPG Site is historically mostly a weeb-friendly site.

Regarding Disco Elysium, I've been hearing great things about it here, but the art just looks very distracting to me, so I don't think I can ever bring myself to play it ....
If by "distracting" you mean freaking good, it really does.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Scarlet Grace is so good. I wish it was getting more coverage.
Just looked this up and saw this in a review:
Game is broken. Enemies start out hard but after a few battles they are manageable. Then for a long time you can increase difficulty to hard and still be able to kill them easily.

But if you continue to do battles (grinding) the enemies will eventually catch up. You have to lower your difficulty back to easy. The enemies now grow exponentially and since your Health is capped at 999, kill your entire well geared, well skilled party within a few rounds.

The game has 3 difficulties for encounters: Easy / Medium / Hard
... and an additional setting for enemy difficulty: Easy / Medium / Hard

A small chart to demonstrate the problem:
Encounter / Setting > Final Difficulty

Beginning:
Easy / Easy > Medium
Medium / Easy > Hard
Hard / Easy > Very Hard

Mid-Game:
Easy / Hard > V. Easy
Medium / Hard > V. Easy
Hard / Hard > Easy

Late-Game:
Easy / Easy > Ultra Hard
Medium / Easy > 99% Impossible
Hard / Easy > 100% Impossible

Even encounters against a small number of the tinies enemies feels like the final battle of the game.
Wtf is this shit true? How can such a broken mess be goty?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Pathologic 2 was hands down my RPG of the year and is particularly deserving of the commendations for Writing & Storytelling and Design & Immersion IMO , but I understand if no one on the site got to it or had it click. Fire Emblem is a strong runner up and I'm really looking forward to Disco Elysium's console release whenever it comes.

Also haven't played a SaGa game since PS1 but now I'm quite intrigued by Scarlet Grace.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, this review doesn't quite describe why he finds it difficult, so it's tricky to reply to. SSGA is a game that can reward experimentation and tailoring a party (equipment, skills, etc) to take on the toughest challenges. If you expect to create a static team that can take on absolutely everything the game throws at you, you are probably going to run into trouble sooner or later. The game definitely requires a bit more than just 'attack and heal'. Final Fantasy it is not.

Kawazu also gave me a nice quote regarding this in general, really, and I feel this is a good thread to repost it.

RPG Site: That actually brings me to my next question, which is admittedly a little bit blunt. I'm not sure if this is the case in Japan as well but in the West, SaGa games can have the reputation of being sort of 'weird' or 'confusing' or 'strange' in how they play or tricky to figure out. I personally find that a bit endearing, but, is that something you intentionally try to craft within these games?

Kawazu: (laughs) So the perception that SaGa games are kind of difficult and confusing is also the case in Japan as well. But even then, we have outspoken fans that support the series and enjoy that aspect of the series, and we think that would be the same in the West, too. In regards to 'how difficult' we make the games, that's always something I have trouble balancing the right way. But there are two directions I like to consider. Sometimes a player might stop playing a game because they find it too difficult. But in other cases, players might find a game too simple and stop playing out of boredom. I would rather lean towards the former, where players are more likely to quit because they find a game too difficult rather than quit because a game is too simple. That's always the tone and direction that I tend to go with. But balancing the right challenge, difficulty, and doing something experimental is something I always work towards.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
No? It isn't a character driven narrative heavy game, but it has great writing, tons of choices, incredible music, and probably one of the best world maps ever in an RPG, and some of the best quests ever to go with it. I also like the graphics but I've seen enough people dissing then to realize I'm an outlier.
Thanks. I'm going to check it out. I've read/watched reviews that have dismissed alot of the game as nothing special, but sounds like I need to check it out for myself.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If by "distracting" you mean freaking good, it really does.

It looks really bad to me, like extremely bad with dull color palette and uninspiring style. But it may look good to others.

The reviewer might be a little bit confused.
From what I know, in the game there are 2 different kind of difficulty: encounter and game.

Game difficulty is systemic wise.
It affects how the game scales the battle rank (enemy base strength) according to how many battles you've done.
Harder difficulty will make the enemy's strength scales faster and thus make the game in general more difficult.

Encounter difficulty is just specific to the battle you enter.
It's based on the battle rank/enemy's base strength with hard and brutal fight adding some bonus (either stronger "boss" like enemies or more enemies) and easy fight giving you less enemies to fight.
Higher difficulty also give you more rewards, and from what I gather encounter difficulty does not affect how fast battle rank rises.
Hence it's advised to try fighting harder enemy always, while keeping your gear up to date and work towards unlocking more useful techniques.

You will do well just forgetting about game difficulty.
I cleared playthrough not messing around with game difficulty and keeping it at normal.
It's true though that this game is not walk in the park, but it's comparatively easier than previous SaGa.
There are lots of people who can help give advice in Scarlet Grace OT.
If you're newer player, it might help if you start with easy.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Thanks. I'm going to check it out. I've read/watched reviews that have dismissed alot of the game as nothing special, but sounds like I need to check it out for myself.
It's an interesting game, and I think it's hard to describe to sell the game to the right audience. I'm not a SaGa enthusiast so I took a chance on it and have been blown away by it... But I can understand it isn't going to be for your typical RPG gamer. I would just say it's of an exceedingly high quality in the game loop, party building, battle system, quest system etc. BUT if you're looking for an involved story, cutscenes, or engaging dialogue you won't find it here. The story is fast paced, events might only be a few text boxes, and I think the game focuses more on the fact events are happening all over the world than bothering to delve into them. Idk. I love the game, I want to sell people on it, and I understand that people aren't going to like it... but a lot of the criticisms seem half baked and I feel like those who don't like it are just bad at acknowledging it sets out to do things differently instead of being an issue around its quality.

Hope you do decide to get it and find it as awesome as many of us have though!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Are people really getting heated over the fact that a game other than Disco Elysium was a website's RPG of the year?

You all know what opinions are, right?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm more baffled at the inclusion of Astral Chain in the list over anything else. I know there are... different schools of thoughts about what makes an RPG or not and all, but Astral Chain? Really?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Dragon Quest Builders 2 is criminally low. Sure it has its problems. But it is so sincere, wonderful and down to earth. I even spent the time to breed a colorful pet to get the platinum and make my town in the middle of the air complete with a damn elevator that works with a push button! This game is insane and I hope more people play it on PC.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
The art is beautiful though.
This looks dope

sagasg.jpg

But then when I look the game up to see what it looks like I see this

saga-scarlet-grace-ambitions-2.jpg

Switch_SaGaScarletGraceAmbitions_02.jpg

I'm sure the game is great but my god it is visually unappealing. I wish I could look past it, it really does seem like the combat is good shit.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The battles look meh but the world map is beautiful.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
For me, Fire Emblem, Cold Steel 3, and DQ11 will be my Top 3 on my GOTY list as well.

Still finishing up Cold STeel 3 but im loving it and can easily see how it's the best in the Cold Steel story arc

Trails of Cold Steel 3 being that high is crazy to me. Not cause if quality or anything but I assumed not many people played it cause you don't hear people talking about it that much.

Once you're in the Trails fam, you go nuts for anything Trails. Plus someone showed me earlier a "happy new year tweet" from NISA and it's just people going "When's Cold Steel 4?" lol

Really interested to see the reception of the series once the Switch port of CS3 comes out.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm more baffled at the inclusion of Astral Chain in the list over anything else. I know there are... different schools of thoughts about what makes an RPG or not and all, but Astral Chain? Really?

Here's my chance to quote one of our Astral Chain previews.

Now I know you might be questioning why RPG Site is covering this. Astral Chain is unmistakably an action game above all else. It does have some light RPG systems with displaying damage numbers and skill trees for Legions, the adorable pets that help you combat pesky interdimensional invaders. There's other minor progression mechanics in play but at this point it'll all sound like excuses so here's the real raw reason - I asked and lightly pushed the powers that be and they complied.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Both are great games, Fire Emblem and SaGa are my top two for the year.

Honestly this was an excellent year for RPGs overall. I also really liked Pokemon and Dragon Quest 11S this year. All this goodness just makes me happy.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I enjoyed SaGa quite a bit, but ended up falling off. Put 40hrs into it running around Urpina's route, and combat got relatively easy and think I sequence broke a few things so the story wasn't making any sense, and wasn't very interesting to begin with.

Still a good game, and may have caused the issues I'm having myself by running around every territory doing the side quests rather than progress.

I personally would put Fire Emblem as my RPG of the year, but haven't gotten around to Disco Elysium or Dragon Quest Builders yet. Also waiting to start FF14 until they drop the patch that cuts out alot of the early game fat, supposed to happen early this year I believe.
Tbh they can only cut maybe 20-30 quests out of ARR and out of 400 plus quests to shadow bringers it won't amount to that much imo

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
This looks dope

sagasg.jpg

But then when I look the game up to see what it looks like I see this

saga-scarlet-grace-ambitions-2.jpg

Switch_SaGaScarletGraceAmbitions_02.jpg

I'm sure the game is great but my god it is visually unappealing. I wish I could look past it, it really does seem like the combat is good shit.

See, I love the visual design of traveling over the map in SaGa a lot. It's simple but effective. And really there's only like 3 things you see in this game - the map, the battle system (where the models are serviceable but for the actual battle portion is so fast and I'm tracking the damage and effects to pay much attention), and static scenes in 2D conversations. I admitted early up the thread this is maybe not the popular consensus, but I feel kind of confused when people talk about it looking so bad. Of course I'm just playing it in my phone so maybe that changes my expectations.

Amin_Parker

Dec 25, 2019
Tokyo
Congratulations to Nintendo for creating one of the finest JRPGS of the generation, personally I feel like Dragon Quest 11s was a slightly better game as well Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but Fire Emblem: Three Houses was very enjoyable, no doubt about it. The Nintendo Switch had a wonderful year in the role playing game department and hopefully this year will be even better.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I listened through a bit of the deliberation podcast that's linked on the site and, uh, did I miss something or did no-one on there actually play Shadowbringers? At around 45 minutes, when deciding on the best OST someone on the podcast says something like this:
I feel bad for FFXIV because I don't think anyone here actually plays it regularly
To which the only reply is that someone did play in the past, but they did buy the OST for Shadowbringers so they feel comfortable talking about it.

There's also a bit further on (at about 2:47:00), where they are deciding on whether to put Shadowbringers or Iceborne in the top 5, and the arguments seem based entirely on hearsay. Some paraphrased examples:

• Even though I haven't played it, when I look at Shadowbringers in that 6ht slot, like, a lot of people feel really strongly about that game and that expansion. Are we okay keeping it out of the top 5?
  • I think for me, and again, I haven't played Shadowbringers, this isn't fair, I know, but Shadowbringers I get the impression, adds to what FFXIV already has, whereas Iceborne fixes some of the shortcomings the base game had, and adds on it.
  • Wasn't FFXIV in a weird place with Stormblood (the expansion before Shadowbringers)? Like people didn't seem so hot on Stormblood. And then Shadowbringers, thankfully, seems to be a fantastic expansion but ... I'm just curious because I thought Shadowbringers was ...
  • I'm pretty much convinced. I haven't played either game.
  • I might regret this once I finally get to Shadowbringers, but oh well.
Granted, I haven't listened through the entire podcast so I might be missing some context (I definitely hope I am), but the above exchange just struck me as downright bizarre. The first comment especially, where someone felt obligated to put the game into the top 5 simply because he knows their audience feels strongly about it despite the fact that no-one on the podcast (seemingly) actually played it. I know someone on the site played the game at least, since it has a review and a write-up on the best-of list, but I guess they weren't on the podcast.

It also feels bad to see a site focused entirely on RPGs completely ignore Sunless Skies when it comes to best writing discussions. I get why larger sites miss it, but for a site so focused on RPGs, it feels like a glaring omission.