• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I love this. It's when you know a character is either going to be

A) Really powerful

B) An important plot related battle

or

C) Eventually become a party member

tumblr_o1k9grA9p61thrzt8o1_1280.jpg

I'm replaying Tales of Symphonia right now, and Kratos has his own battle theme, which is a variation of his ordinary theme. His ordinary theme is solemn and stern, but his battle theme is much more intense, energetic, and even heroic. Once you learn his backstory, it fits him perfectly. It makes fights against him feel personal, important, and exciting.

What other characters have special battle music?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, granted it's actually used twice, but I really love that "Dinosaurs" in Ocarina of Time have a unique boss theme compared to the others

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Leon Magnus' theme was one of the first times I really noticed a character-specific boss theme in an RPG that wasn't the final boss song.

This song stuck with me for DECADES.

Also, my favorite battle theme of all time only plays one or two times in all of SaGa Frontier:

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is going to be super vague because I haven't played it in 20 years. But that one Chrono Cross boss on the cliff with the sad music playing?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I want to say Magus from Chrono Trigger should count, yes it is used I think one more time but it is definitely Magus's theme.

Dammit beaten by a Cactus!

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Leonhardt/Loewe from Trails in the Sky. He gets his own theme before he's even revealed to be important.

EDIT: Lol, damn.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale gives an original boss theme to every single boss.

edit: f it Undyne gets two

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Wow, three of us posted the exact same Magus video within one minute, that's impressive!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Granted, you repeat this battle, but it's literally the same boss fight.

plastic love

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 19, 2019
Kid Icarus: Uprising is an RPG... right?

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017

If I recall correctly, this song was only used for some of the early Atlas fights in FFXIII-2, but I wish it was just the regular boss song since I really dug it.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

FFVIIR will most certainly be my favorite OST of this year, and has already topped previous years for me. Loved this boss's theme.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
latest

This guy from Fire Emblem has own unique battle theme that plays when you fight him, AND when you fight as him, overriding whatever music is supposed to play. Just because he is the Black Knight.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
should i just post the entire Undertale boss soundtrack or

cause like every boss has their own theme and it's all fantastic. i guess i could pick out the super standouts

this one for being an absolute banger period

this one's amazing on the 'powerful' front. just the sheer character and emotion it conveys purely through the music... it really got me the first time. It's like it gives the entire tragic arc of the character without ever even saying a word, it's kind of incredible.

this one. for the first time in the route you feel immediately like you're up against a genuine threat. embodies the 'hero' the game portrays her as, like someone truly putting up their final stand against the worst possible threat, which just makes the incoming tragedy all the worse

Last edited:

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019

Like the other Suikoden 2 songs, this track only plays once, against Gorudo a boss who is pretty to defeat but due to his action prior to the fight and whom join you for the battle, it just fits as it a very angry boss theme that just pumps you into wanting to kill the man.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it is:

Brute Justice, Trance Mode!

FFXIV's OST is really something special. You go from my two choices that are all about building up these epic fights with a ton of symbolism built into the build up and the lyrics of the actual songs and then you have this 70s Super Robot parody theme.