• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully this game wasn't capped to 30FPS.

It's pretty incredible how fast this Emulator seems to be coming along.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
That looks like "60fps", not 60fps. But pretty cool.

Now to remove the piss filters.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
holy crap, is this already improving this fast that there's almost zero graphical bugs now? oh my god this is incredible work

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MGS4 is the only PS3 game I've owned and I still have it on hand. Might give this a go at some point!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
14 years later, finally Kojima's promise of MGS4 running at 60fps has become real.

This emulator is making ridiculous progress at an absurd pace, honestly.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Even at an unlocked 60 fps, it looks like it is running close to that most of the time. Not a lot of huge dips from what I can see other than in some of the cinematics. Hopefully this gets an official remaster some day.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Damn this is awesome. The actual gunfight gameplay was so good in this game. I loved how dynamic the fights felt, and all of the options it gave you.

My complaint much like Uncharted 4 is they didn't let you play in these types of sandboxes for long.

Glad to see this running at 4K60. Does this emulator, being PS3, benefit a ton from lots of CPU cores? Like say a Ryzen 2 3900/3950x?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, now we can cringe through some of the most melodramatic, corny cutscenes to ever grace a game in 4K!

In all seriousness, it is a real accomplishment. Good on the RPCS3 people.

Oct 27, 2017
I saw that GHZ was messing around with this to see if he can get MGO2 working. Hopefully netplay gets implemented so he can make that a reality. 60fps MGO2 is like my dream game.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
The robots little antics are super cringey. Miming out an eye patch and get startled, lame.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Damn this is awesome. The actual gunfight gameplay was so good in this game. I loved how dynamic the fights felt, and all of the options it gave you.

My complaint much like Uncharted 4 is they didn't let you play in these types of sandboxes for long.

Glad to see this running at 4K60. Does this emulator, being PS3, benefit a ton from lots of CPU cores? Like say a Ryzen 2 3900/3950x?

3800x/3950x are the best AMD CPUs for it due to CCD latency introduced with two dies. 3950x will be fine since RPCS3 uses a max of 8 cores anyway, so you can stay on one die. 3900x still works well, but it'll always have that bottleneck.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! Maybe PS5 will be able to support this and bring back BC for PS1,2,3 games. Doubt it though.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This looks fantastic, and it's amazing progress. Pretty sure you could barely see the "No Place for Hideo" on the box in the original and in that it looks ridiculously crisp. Metal Gear is basically the sole reason I keep my PS3 around these days, so having a potential replacement is fantastic.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
It says 60fps but doesn't look like it?

This looks fantastic, and it's amazing progress. Pretty sure you could barely see the "No Place for Hideo" on the box in the original and in that it looks ridiculously crisp. Metal Gear is basically the sole reason I keep my PS3 around these days, so having a potential replacement is fantastic.
Yeah you could, PS3 wasn't the 90s lol.

MGS4%2B2.PNG

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
WTF 60FPS???? I swear the game was barely running just last month. I'm excitde to revisit this in 4K at 60FPS one day. Glad we have emulation or else I'd never dream of this game being remastered.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Crazy stuff man, this game was barely booting and running not too long ago and now it's in a much better state!
The developers are always doing amazing stuff with this emulator!

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Going from booting to a non-functioning title screen to somewhat ingame with warped graphics to rendering the graphics right to now getting higher framerates than what was done on PS3 in what I believe was done in just the last month or so is crazy.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Same. The gameplay mechanics in MGS4 are pretty damn awesome.

They just did not build enough game around them. Act 3 and beyond are more interested in funneling you into overly scripted sequences instead of interesting emergent gameplay scenarios.

Gangrel

Oct 25, 2017
I got my MGS4 and Drakengard 3 discs. What BD drive should I buy for my PC to play these?

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Sadly this still doesn't work for me and my anniversary re-release EU version (it's patched to version 2.0). Either the installation stops progressing (the emulator doesn't crash though), or it pretty much always immediately freezes after the intro. I was able to get far enough to save the game the grand total of once.

Personally, I'm most looking forward to the RPCS3 team fixing the graphics in Deadly Premonition, but I guess it's not as high a priority as getting MGS4 working.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I saw that GHZ was messing around with this to see if he can get MGO2 working. Hopefully netplay gets implemented so he can make that a reality. 60fps MGO2 is like my dream game.
I don't need 60fps MGO2, I just need MGO2. I'm too lazy to do the custom firmware thing for the game in order to get it running on actual hardware.