• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

After more than 20 years, the Rolling Stones and The Verve have resolved a sour dispute over the authorship of the song "Bitter Sweet Symphony." The Verve's frontman and co-founder, Richard Ashcroft, announced on Wednesday that the situation has finally been laid to rest.

Ashcroft explained the change as he received a lifetime achievement honor — an Ivor Novello Award, a British prize for songwriting and composition. "As of last month," Ashcroft said in comments reported by the BBC, "Mick Jagger and Keith Richards signed over all their publishing for 'Bitter Sweet Symphony,' which was a truly kind and magnanimous thing for them to do." A rep for the Rolling Stones confirmed the change to NPR.

Backstory on the issue

It's about damn time.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Good. I actually stopped listening to the Rolling Stones because of this bullshit. Like they didn't have enough money already.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bittersweet Symphony is a great track. I love visiting cities and listening to it as I walk about.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
At the risk of enormous disdain coming my way, Bittersweet Symphony is a truly crap song. I mean, you can't even dance to it!

This feels like it was deliberately designed to be the most bad faith post possible. Like you know you were already walking into people being angry with you, but the justification is even worse!

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
At the risk of enormous disdain coming my way, Bittersweet Symphony is a truly crap song. I mean, you can't even dance to it!
Wrong. It's a brilliant song and it was really fucking shitty of The Rolling Stones to deny the band royalties of something they themselves didn't even own.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KwJ3IEg.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
always been slightly annoyed and impartial to the song and the verve

but holy fuck

feels bad what they had to all go through for this song.

watching assholes make money off your song for 20 years is some kind of a torture

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
About time to go on a reunion tour to promote the song and get those streaming numbers up!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What happened to the royalties from 20 years ago? Although famous, I don't feel like this song is making the money that it made some 20 or 10 years ago

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
They should get some back pay royalties imo. That song was huge in 97.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
ITV ruined this song for me to be fair.

Now I just associate it with watching a terrible England team playing incredibly depressing football in friendlies.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Trying to make ends meet, you're a slave to money then you die.

Status
Not open for further replies.