• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The N64 control pad was awesome. People complain about the three prongs but they were bieng really forward thinking. If the analog is a success than most games can be controlled with it and your hand gripping the center position. For shooters you can grip the left and center prongs in order to have analog aim. If the analog does not take off, you still have the default d Pad and buttons combo. The face buttons arrange in a 2x3 format instead of the current 2x2 which is superior for fighting games. Oh and it has an expansion port to enable rumble, the transfer pack etc.
I loved that pad too. The 2x3 for one type of games, meh. The yellow buttons wasn't great because they were too small.
I can't believe shoulders button is still a thing and nobodies continue on the Z button. Of course paddles existed but not on standard controller and I really hope it will be added next gen.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
apotheon is not a great game by any means but the artstyle is ace and the human enemy ia is very good for a 2d game, especially for ranged enemies.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Not to be an ass, but is this controversial? I also think MGS1 is a near perfect game, and my favorite Metal Gear game by far. But I thought of this as pretty conventional opinion.
When it came out way back when, nerds were upset that it was more of a movie and less of a game. As in, "gamey" time was less than movie time. And also the fact that it was short 6-8 hours. Both are dumb criticisms imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Kameo: Elements of Power had the seeds of not just a great game franchise in the making, but a system-selling franchise that could have been the more family-friendly tentpole/pillar of Microsoft Game Studios regular offerings along side Gears, Forza, and Halo. It *could* have been the platform's Zelda. Giving up on the franchise was one of Microsoft's biggest mistakes of the last 15 years.

You can support HK and still enjoy Diablo.
Well of course. Playing games you already own and can't further financially support don't hurt any causes.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I thought Silent Hill 4 was the best game in the SH series. The first person apartment spin was super intriguing to me.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider has the best underwater representation I've seen. Not only in looks, but sound as well.

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
The Beatles Rock Band is one of the greatest video games ever made. And I don't just mean that sort of vague general praise kind of way. I'm talking top 10 of last gen. Top 100 of all time. It deserved much better than it got.
Now THIS is what I call a controversial positive take. What made it so good for you?
I'm not going to speak for this guy but I do share his opinion and I can explain why I think so.

Its creation in and of itself is pretty much a miracle considering all of the licensing of music, locations, likenesses, etc. that had to be done as well as historical accuracy (to the best of their ability). The visuals are nothing short of peak "Video games are art" considering all of the dreamscape sequences and opening and ending animations. The music, while not all encompassing, reflects the breadth of variety of the most influential rock band of all time and gives the player a new appreciation of their catalog. They were able to include screenshots and videos from their touring days, they added never-before-heard filler dialogue from the recording sessions to the beginning of each song (some specific to the song itself), and they introduced a way to harmonize with two other vocalists that was the greatest addition to music games as a whole IMO.

And this game could have only really happened at that specific point in time where music games were all the rage, the licenses to the Beatles' music catalog were the in the right hands, the technology was advanced enough to separate the original master tracks into separate instruments (which because the masters were on tape had to be done digitally and manually), AND the two people that made this happen just happen to be in the right place at the right time (Dhani Harrison, son of George Harrison, and the head of MTV Games at the time). The two living members, Paul and Ringo, as well as Yoko Ono and Dhani were extremely involved in the development and made sure that the game represented the band properly as best as they could. They even "finished" one of the unfinished songs in Abbey Road and included multiple enhancements to the arrangements to the songs that before the remastered Beatles albums came out, the game's masters were essentially the best way to experience their music.

So while to some it may just be another rhythm game, for the others it was an experience akin to discovering music for the first time. And because of that I believe it should be considered among the best games of all time.

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention the instruments themselves which were modeled after the band's own instruments which enhanced the immersion of playing their music.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart Double-Dash's Two-Players One-Kart mode was pure brilliance when you are playing with someone who is equally as experienced as you were.

Possibly the most fun I've ever had in a co-op mode.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When Warcraft III came out, and to an extent DotA, everybody loved the idea of playing an RTS where you are on the ground as the Hero unit literally leading your own army and fighting along side them.

This is exactly what Brutal Legend did. It was an amazing RTS with a surprisingly balanced 3 factions. It's gameplay was so good (once you know what it was) I don't think we'll ever see anything like it ever again.

Brutal Legend had style. The Artstyle of the game was amazing, the soundtrack of the game was amazing, the dialogue of the game was amazing.
Brutal Legend had variety. Three very unique factions, and a way to personally tag team with every one of your individual units. Plus your Hero spells like the Face Melter and the literally Lead Zeppelin. Not to mention all the strategies.
Brutal Legend had heart. The creators are such nice people, and really cared about the balance of their game. They even personally reached out to higher ranked PvPers for their input on game balance.

I know everybody had a sour taste on Brutal Legend because it was sold to them like a Third Person Action/Adventure game, but it really was a perfect progression of the RTS genre, and I'm sad that so many RTS fans never got to experience it.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Splinter Cell Conviction is a great game in its own right and SCC's Deniable Ops mode is some of the best stuff in the franchise.
They shouldn't have marketed it as a stealth game. You can be stealth, but it's more of an action game. Splinter Cell Blacklist however, allows you different play styles.

And the 4E missions are very replayable, and fun.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
As someone who's played Blood Money , then Hitman Absolution, then Hitman 2016, Absolution didn't feel like a Hitman game(point shooting, linear levels, the use of Instinct) after playing the 2016 version.

Not a bad game, but 2016 Hitman is a return to form, yet sold nowhere as many copies as Absolution.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The existence of micro transactions has improved gaming in my eyes.

That is based on my love of progression and loot mechanics; micro transactions encourage designing those systems into games. I don't think we'd have anywhere near as many games with those mechanics without them.

And I've personally yet to have spent a dime on a single micro transaction, I've been satisfied with what is gettable or unlockable in the game's I've played.

That controversial enough? Lol

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man legends series is by far the best mega Man, and once it got it's legs in Legends 2, was the best 3D action game of it's generation.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big Boss is the far more interesting and cool protagonist of the MGS series and the anachronistic depiction of 1964-1984 is more aesthetically appealing to me than MGS1, 2, and 4's futuristic tech.

Big Boss, The Boss, Mgs3 and 5's Ocelot, and the overall story arcs of the BB games just gives me so much more emotional turmoil than Clone Old Man Dying.

I like Solid Snake, but living the legend of big boss is so much more fun, even as a knock off monster hunter.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Mobile gaming has its place and is not evil or terrible in and of itself. Some are actually pretty well made.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I enjoyed Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and thought it was competent game with a great soundtrack.

Puffball

Jan 16, 2018
Final Fantasy 13 is one of the best games in the series. And yes, I've played all FF titles 4 and up except for 14

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
The existence of micro transactions has improved gaming in my eyes.

That is based on my love of progression and loot mechanics; micro transactions encourage designing those systems into games. I don't think we'd have anywhere near as many games with those mechanics without them.

And I've personally yet to have spent a dime on a single micro transaction, I've been satisfied with what is gettable or unlockable in the game's I've played.

That controversial enough? Lol
The problem is that some devs kinda "force" you to purchase them by placing a tedious grind in front of you.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
Star Ocean 4 is actually a really good game especially for those who are long time fans of the series. (The best way to "fix" it is to play the international edition, like the one on PS4 and play in Japanese. Most people are turned off on the game because of the horrendous English VA.)

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
The Club for PS360.

I thought at the time that it was an excellent game. Seen as a regular FPS it is very bad. No AI to speak of and linear short levels.

i saw it as a time trial racing game like the developer's PGR series. It was all about getting through the level as fast as possible while racking up kudos points by shooting the opponent in the head. The very linear/repetitive nature of the enemies made it so suitable for perfecting your run.

I loved that game.

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
Corridor 7 was actually a really good sci-fi themed take on the early FPS genre (using a modded variant of id's Wolfenstein 3D engine) and a fun game in its own right. The weapons felt great (the M-343 Tri-Barrel Power Blaster was a thing of beauty to fire, if not to look at), the sound effects were unique and memorable (though some seemed to be lifted from the then-contemporary Terminator films) and the FM synth soundtrack was freaking bad ass -- so bad ass that I dubbed it to a cassette tape so I could play it in my car. Yes, it was the nineties and the living was easy.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
It vexes me that this is controversial, but Rocket League would be a far, FAR better game if it rewarded teamwork more and individual showoffs less.

Also the framerate issues with Links Awakening were grossly exaggerated.

Windy_Smile

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Darksiders 3 on Apocalyptic difficulty, the new combat system is way better (dark souls Lite) than the old-style in DS1/2.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Lyric from Sonic Boom is a good villain that needs to be put in a better game.

Sonic 4 is a good game. Both episodes are equally enjoyable to play.

Dreams of an Absolution is the GOAT Sonic song and no one will convince me otherwise.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is the best game on the Switch. Far better than Super Mario Odyssey.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the Legend of Zelda series can garner such intense and passionate thoughts from people whether they be positive or negative is a testament to its status in the medium.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword is better than Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Link to the Past.

Sonic Heroes is better than modern Sonic games.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Mass Effect 3's ending is fine. It makes you think.

Skyward Sword was incredible and those controls should have continued.

Zero Time Dilemma is a good game.

Snaking in Mario Kart was a fun technique and should have remained.

The 3D on the 3DS was a great feature that enhanced many games and it's a shame it's gone.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
This is not a positive take.

You can understand the decision and you can personally not be bothered by it, but I've yet to see someone adequately explain how this will be a net positive for the series.
DeX cut could be a positive only if:
-they improve the game's visuals, animations and add more interesting features (like pokemon following you)
-Every pokemon species is accounted for (cutting chimchar and monferno, but giving us access to infernape)
-Alter stats, abilities and moveset of weaker pokemon.

They would obviously have to change the mechanics so that breeding is no longer necessary, but this could work very well considering that it's the final evolution that really matters. (Except for porygon2, which it's much better than z)

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Assassin's Creed's futuristic element is actually awesome, especially in the first few games. The futuristic framing device is much more appealing to me than plain historical fiction.

I like Desmond and Lucy in the original game, I like how the simulated nature of the world is expressed through graphical effects, and I like that the interface is designed like it's the Animus simulator's UI.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
The Wii U is Nintendo's best console.
The Switch is 10 steps back but with 100x better marketing.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The second half of Dark Souls is still good minus the Izalith areas, if not up to the standard of the first half.

YES! My people!!

Although every time I replay Duke's Archives I have to admit I'm less and less enamoured with it, but that has more to do with HOW. MUCH. DAMAGE. that enemies do. It's just obnoxious.

But I absolutely love the whole twist of that area narratively and I wish more games would have narratives take place in game like that and really throw you for a loop. Like seriously, more of that please. People get so obessed with games being "fair" they can't be taken on an adventure unless it happens strictly within a cutscene. I hate that. I love when games boldly do something like that.

I think this whole "second half was horrible" is so overblown. It's great. Even Izalith has good moments, like with Siegmeyer.

By the time I reached the end of the game my first time through, I had gone from hating it to being utterly and totally immersed and in love, and the drop in quality just wasn't enough to harm that wonderful experience.