• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Enter the Matrix is a much more technical and deep gameplay than most care to admit. Sure it has super boring driving sections and questionable level design but branching narratives offered some amazing action and plateform chases that many missed because they were locked behind beating a story boss.

I also very much enjoyed the Order 1886. It had flawed but I really wished we could have more, even see the trip to India of the main character as flashbacks.

I have 0 problem with epic game store. Competition is good every market

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Super Smash style of fighting game deserves to be cloned because its by far the most fun fighting game on the market.

I can appreciate the 3D/2D health bar and combo based fighting games but they just aren't as fun as the smash style gameplay.

I feel like devs fell into this pitfall where if you are going to make a smash clone it needs to be the same concept of "Here's all of Sony's characters, here's all of X's characters etc"

It's ok to just make an original IP with a new cast.

Paine

Jan 6, 2018
The OG Tomb Raider games have far better platforming than Super Mario 64, and we're far better games in general. 2 and 3 are imo, two of the best games ever made.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm with everyone else wishing it wasn't cut off story-wise, Metal Gear Solid V was overall better than my overall expectations for it. The gameplay is utterly sublime and when it gets its story moments right, it's up there with the peak of the series (the mission on Mother base where you go into the quarantine zone is incredibly well done).

I would put every major Metal Gear Solid game in my "Greatest of All Time" list, and I'd say V is my favorite of them all.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
If it wasn't for Halo: Combat Evolved, the FPS console scene would still be the worst way to experience an FPS game.

Not only for Halo 2, they completely defined multiplayer online gaming, not just for consoles, but for PC as well.

Feb 9, 2018
I think most of the hate comes from the Multiplayer.

To put it in perspective, certain details of the multiplayer leaked beforehand.

1. Random power weapon spawn at a random location
2. Killstreaks in the form of calling down weapon power ups and power weapons at your feet. The 3 you get to choose from were random.
4. Armor Abilities are back including a wallhack one.
5. Hitmarkers on grenades
6. Loadouts meaning not everyone has the same weapons. Certain weapon loadouts were tied to certain armor ability loadouts.
7. One of the loadout weapons was a one shot kill pocket shotgun
8. No de-scope when being shot at.

Coming from Halo 3 and Reach, at the time, these leaks were so outlandish they were actually laughed at for being fake. I mean some stuff, even tho all of these were widely hated among at least the core Halo community here, you could see. But Random Power weapons? Killstreaks? Loadouts? A one shot shotgun you can spawn with? To most fans this was essentially breaking core tenants of Halo and these had to be fake.

And they turn out to all be real. There was a very widely shared graph of the games population dive bombing after its launch window.

Pretty much. I actually perform better in Halo 4 than in any other Halo game. The guns feel nice and consistent. If the core gameplay had been traditional Halo, with normal weapon spawns and no loadouts, armor abilities, or perks, it would have been great.

But when things go wrong in Halo 4, they go spectacularly wrong. Entire teams with X-ray vision (a worse ability than Armor Lock) and Boltshots camping corners. An enemy getting a leg up when an Incinerator or Binary Rifle or some other super-weapon randomly spawns next to them. One team in general getting an even bigger advantage because they've been able to call in more ordnance purely by getting more points. It just got to be absolutely ridiculous sometimes. Also, it's easy to forget after four years of playing it on the MCC, but let's remember that Halo 4's loadout system had rank-based unlocks on the original 360 version. That means that players had to invest considerable time unlocking weapons, abilities, and perks, producing a severe COD-like imbalance where new players or players that didn't have as much time as others were at a disadvantage against those who had already sunk in a lot of time and have unlocked everything.

Oh, and the number of gametypes in multiplayer were greatly diminished.

Also, my complaints about Halo 4 extend beyond the multiplayer. 343i's art design was a radical and unwelcome break from the previously-established art style. The Campaign missions were painfully linear, plus there were QTEs (though fortunately not many). The AI took a step back from Reach's. The Promethean arsenal was largely just copies of UNSC and Covenant weapons, which was a missed opportunity for some truly unique weapons.

Halo 4 wasn't bad per se, but it was very disappointing.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Pure (positive) Fire Controversial Opinion: Soul Blade is the best 3D fighting games have ever been and likely ever will be. It handled character speed better than any other game in the series, playing relatively fast at a higher level, but really selling the "slow but strong" archetype. It also did things that no other game in the series has done since (like unique weapon durability). It is the complete package and will never be topped. I'm not criticizing the Calibur games, many of them are great, they will just never be able to match up to the perfection which was the first game.

I like this opinion. I don't actually agree, because it ran at like 20 FPS, making it kind of totally unplayable nowadays, had floaty jumps, and didn't have 8WR, but I totally love Soul Blade. It had the best music in the series by far, especially with Khan Super Session, the best story mode, by far the best and most unique weapons, and a fire intro that's still the best in FG history. I'll definitely agree that in terms of presentation and just the overall feel of the package, it's the best the series has ever been. I'm one of the very few who was actually disappointed in Soul Calibur because for all the gameplay improvements, the package felt like a step back.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Must have posted it already buuut ReCore is one of my favourite ever games and I don't care whoooooo knows it hurraaahjjj

Oct 25, 2017
Bust-a-Move/Puzzle Bobble is the best match three series of all time, and personally, I hold it in the Tetris/Picross tier of G.O.A.T. puzzle game series ever made.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Ratchet & Clank's Captain Qwark is one of the best love-to-hate characters in gaming.
4331-qwark-2559.png
In the first two, he's a dumb, arrogant douchebag of a villain. In Up Your Arsenal, he so flagrantly steals the credit for all your efforts throughout the game, it helps elevate the game's quality further.
It helps that he has a massively punchable grin fully integrated into his character model.
images

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
It's a shlooter. Controller should start inverted. Call of duty sucks. Fallout ruined item pickups. Red dead 2 was boring. Sonic games didn't age well, same with Crash Bandicoot.

I just realized it said Positive. Fail.

Last edited:

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Many Indie games are more fun than most third party AAA games.

The first party games in recent years are better than everything that has come before.

Oct 28, 2017
Serious Sam 2 went full-on insane and wacky and therefore it's the best in the series.
I mean a mecha T-rex smoking a cigar as an enemy or the kamikaze parrot as a weapon is totally my jam.

Oct 27, 2017
SWTOR is an incredible game, more so now than ever, and a worthy successor to Kotor and one of Biowares best.

It also remains a still-growing little (big) alternative universe within Star Wars. It doesn't matter that it isn't part of the new canon, it stands alone so well you can just consider it wholly separate and not worry about that shit. It's the fuckin BioWare-verse and it still rocks.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
No Mans Sky was a great game even at release. Though I agree it was bare bones the feeling of lonliness and the realisation no one else may ever see the vista or ocean or valley you see was and is somewhat still profound.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The left joy-con buttons are perfectly fine for 2D plateforming, arguably better than some d-pads with which people had fewer complains.
It never bothered me in games like Celeste or Hollow Knight, and those are my two most played games from 2018.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
- Xenosaga 2 is very good and every scenes from the series are a delight to watch. I like the very long ones as much as shorter ones.

- Suikoden 3 is best suikoden, even if 2 is amazing already.

- Chrono Cross is one of the best games ever and is funnier to play than Trigger thanks to how original it is (good replay value also).
I like female Byleth's design in the new Fire Emblem game.
People don't like her o.O ? Why ?

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is the greatest and definitive Metal Gear Solid experience. I really wish it would get an HD remaster for Switch.

Edit: I really appreciate the positivity of this thread! Great job, OP!

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Onimusha Dawn of dreams (4) is the best of the franchise. It has more playable characters that play differently, ton of content, a nice conclusion to the storyline. Samanosuke be damned.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Batman Arkham Origins is the best Arkham game.

It has the best story by far (Joker is great in this), the Gotham christmas setting is really unique and it has the best boss fights of the series (Firefly, Deathstroke).

Status
Not open for further replies.