• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
There really is no experience like that of the one that League of Legends can bring. The enormous cast of characters (who are relatively well balanced.) The broad range of skill expression. The exhilarating combination of strategising and tactical execution. The wondrous pro scene.

I really believe that despite all it's "popularity", the game has a really poor public opinion calling it a "trash game" or people saying that they "hate the game but can't stop playing it." It sucks to hear when people would get an unrivaled experience if they looked past their first impressions :(

I totally get if they do however, the early learning experience is an absolute bitch and if someone stops there, I can't fault them at all. 500 hours is a long time to get to that absolutely breathtaking experience

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider was the best in the trilogy and a damn good game.

Uncharted 4 is great and I can appreciate the slower pacing it brought with it.

Dishonored 2 and Prey are severely underrated, or unplayed by most when they should be seriously considered in the running for games of the generation.

Jun 2, 2019
Pokémon XY has actually lots of good points, the graphics have a comfy feeling, the ost is pretty good (particularly on cities) and it has the best online system a Pokémon game ever had.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Kong Country 3 is a wonderful game that didn't feel stale at all, it improved a lot from DKC2 and brought lots of fresh new ideas. It's a damn shame it's so overlooked.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
After spending a similar amount of time in both, I have had much more fun playing Assassin's Creed Origins than The Witcher 3.

Modal Soul

Oct 27, 2017
FFXV reignited my love for JRPG's. Those final moments in FFXV made me cry...because having spent so much time with those four guys was one of the best experiences I've had in an RPG ever.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst is better than the original game overall and both are better games than their review scores would indicate.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is not overrated at all. The combat is fun and the cast is fantastic. While some of the environments are too big, most of them are a joy to explore.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Doom 2016 is the best reboot the series could possibly have gotten.

Playing Descent 1 & 2 with a Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick was gaming nirvana.

Metroid Prime 3 is an underrated classic, with some of the highest production values I've ever seen.

Day of the Tentacle is the best adventure game ever made.

Contrary to most people's opinions, Metroid Fusion as the best level design of any 2D game ever made. It's absolutely genius.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Roger Clark as Arthur Morgan is better than Chris Judge as Kratos. Both are awesome.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst is better than the original game overall and both are better games than their review scores would indicate.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is not overrated at all. The combat is fun and the cast is fantastic. While some of the environments are too big, most of them are a joy to explore.

I prefer Origins over Inquisition, but replaying it recently Origins cast is super bland (only Alistair and Morrigan really stand out) compared to Inquisition cast. Even Leliana is better in Inquisition than in Origins, despite only being supporting cast.

I love the base game, but after playing Trespasser I wonder if the game would be better remembered/received had it adopt Trespasser structure (make the main story missions on par with Trespasser in scope, size and structure).

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
This is only controversial on enthusiast forums, but: Five Nights at Freddy's is a fantastic horror series and has some of the most fun and engaging "lore" in recent memory.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer Origins over Inquisition, but replaying it recently Origins cast is super bland (only Alistair and Morrigan really stand out) compared to Inquisition cast. Even Leliana is better in Inquisition than in Origins, despite only being supporting cast.

I love the base game, but after playing Trespasser I wonder if the game would be better remembered/received had it adopt Trespasser structure (make the main story missions on par with Trespasser in scope, size and structure).
I think they definitely could have streamlined a lot of the levels. The best levels in Inquisition are the ones where the story leads you through them. Emprise Du Lion for example. You CAN explore but if you just follow the story it will lead you through the level pretty naturally. Maybe one or two giant areas could work if they filled them with interesting side content, but most of them should have been like Emprise Du Lion, Crestwood, and Forbidden Oasis. More focused, with some room for exploration. And then tie them all together with more story focused sections like you said with Trespasser. I didn't mind the MMO style areas/quest design too much because I love MMOs and there were enough interactions between the characters to keep me entertained... but I definitely won't deny that the game could have been better if the scope and structure were more streamlined like you said.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Playing with my Oculus Quest has been the most pure fun gaming experience I've had in the last decade.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Stuntman was a solid concept for a video game, and a good difficulty level

Mario Sunshine is the most fun 3D Mario to play for 10 minutes intervals

Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis, is the best video game ever.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I think they definitely could have streamlined a lot of the levels. The best levels in Inquisition are the ones where the story leads you through them. Emprise Du Lion for example. You CAN explore but if you just follow the story it will lead you through the level pretty naturally. Maybe one or two giant areas could work if they filled them with interesting side content, but most of them should have been like Emprise Du Lion, Crestwood, and Forbidden Oasis. More focused, with some room for exploration. And then tie them all together with more story focused sections like you said with Trespasser. I didn't mind the MMO style areas/quest design too much because I love MMOs and there were enough interactions between the characters to keep me entertained... but I definitely won't deny that the game could have been better if the scope and structure were more streamlined like you said.

Oh god, I agree 100% with you ! The main missions in Inquisition is amazing but they are too linear and too railroaded on the other hand the "open world zone" offers lots of exploration opportunity but they are completely detached from the main story.

Imagine if The Fade mission or The "Dark Future" mission actually sets (and structured) in Emprise Du Lion/Crestwood sized area. I love Wicked Heart Wicked Grace because its the closest one to this lol.

Oh god, now I'm nervous about DA4 lol.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
NSMBU plays better than DKCTF. It doesn't look as nice and the level design is staid much of the time. But it is more responsive and treats the player better. A lot of this is due to character detection which feels off throughout DKCTF. TF's characters clearly exist in a box and you can be damaged by things that are quite far away from your character model, which is the weirdest thing in a platformer game that values precision.

Mass Effect 1 is an ambitious game that felt crippled by asset re-use and unimaginative world design. It is exceptionally boring and is clearly the worst entry in the series. The combat is comically bad. ME2 was a tremendous step up and remains one of the best sci-fi RPGs yet released.

I guess these are a mix of positive/negative... I think some less-loved games are underrated, sometimes especially when comparison to fan favorites.

Metroid Other M is a great action game with a bad story
I wouldn't go so far as great, but it's better than its reputation suggests. I preferred it to Prime 3. That's probably also controversial to say. Prime 3 was like the Sonic Adventure of the Metroid series to me, shitty friends and all.
Yoshi's island on SNES is a beautiful experience.
Yoshi's Island is widely considered one of the best looking games on the platform.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy X-2 has the best combat mechanics in the series, and for me, that's a big shame because aside from that and some music tracks I absolutely loathe everything that game offers.

Oct 27, 2017
Stuntman was a solid concept for a video game, and a good difficulty level

I felt like Stuntman would have worked a lot better had most levels not been so linear. Like, give the player a score to hit and maybe a block or two of streets to drive around and let them freely smash through stuff and rack up 'points' and finish on a big centrepiece stunt before the time limit runs out. So you can drive around and smash through panes of glass or crates or leaping over a river or running another vehicle off the road, and each successful activity builds up a score meter. And then once that's full you complete the final stunt and the level is done. I envision it being similar to the original Tony Hawk games in its design.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider was the best in the trilogy and a damn good game.

Uncharted 4 is great and I can appreciate the slower pacing it brought with it.

Dishonored 2 and Prey are severely underrated, or unplayed by most when they should be seriously considered in the running for games of the generation.

Excluding Uncharted 4, I can agree with all of your opinions.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kirby Air Ride is the best Kirby game of all time (until Kirby air ride 2)

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Having online competitive play made most of the content in Pokemon games past the Elite Four redundant and I'm not at all upset they changed focus on it vs. something like the Battle Frontiers

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Being pay to win does not necesarilly ruin a multiplayer game.
I've been playing yugioh duel links for a while now and definitelly, being pay to win, hasn't spoiled the fun from the game to me. I just don't need to win every match, neither I need to play it competitively. I will just make a deck I fin enjoyable and play. What does grind my gears are those absurd wanderer challenges like starting the duel with one card.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Resistance : Fall of Man has one of the best single player campaigns in the FPS genre. The way it starts out looking like a WW2 shooter and slowly transforms into 100% sci fi has never been topped for me.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
Murdered: Soul Suspect was a decent game, despite its obvious plot twist and becoming more unfinished the further you progressed (with what felt like the beginnings of several scrapped sidequests still present in the game). It's a shame it felt so rushed and incomplete. I still enjoyed the time I spent with it. I think it received too much hate at launch, partially because of how unfinished it felt combined with its price tag and overuse of collectibles. Now it's mostly forgotten.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword is greatly bolstered by it's use of motion controls.

Final Fantasy XV is the only game in the mainline series that I enjoyed.

Pokemon Sun and Moon are the best entries in the mainline series.

Dragon Ball FighterZ is a fun game to watch competitively.

Xenoblade Chronicles X has the best OST in a game in recent memory.

Edit:

Sonic Forces was actually pretty fun.

Both Sonic Adventure games are still good.

Oct 28, 2017
Murdered: Soul Suspect was a decent game, despite its obvious plot twist and becoming more unfinished the further you progressed (with what felt like the beginnings of several scrapped sidequests still present in the game). It's a shame it felt so rushed and incomplete. I still enjoyed the time I spent with it. I think it received too much hate at launch, partially because of how unfinished it felt combined with its price tag and overuse of collectibles. Now it's mostly forgotten.
This game wasn't well recieved? Huh. Well I liked it.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex: Invisible War is a pretty good game. Not as amazing as the original Deus Ex, but still it's a solid entry in an unpopular genre (immersive sims) that was buried by PC gaming extremists.

My favorite scene of the game:

Status
Not open for further replies.