• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Arkham Knight ruled, in spite of the Batmobile.

edit: Holy shit what are the odds
H7AIsa1.png

Mass Effect Andromeda is a really good game.
My dudes!

(I don't know if I'd call them great myself, but they're way better than generally given credit for)

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Games made by amateurs with lots of rough edges and energy kick ass, actually, and gaming culture is better when it's participatory on every level rather than allowing a sharp division between people who make things and people who consume things.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
- Brutal Legend is fucking good.
- Prey 2017 was the best first-person game since Half-Life 2 and it's a crime that no one played it :(
- Rayman Origins was the best 2D platformer of its console generation.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There are no "bad" mainline Final Fantasy games, the only ones that come close are II and XIII and even they have some pretty redeeming qualities.

Kingdom Hearts isn't that convoluted. You just have to pay attention and experience the whole story.

The DualShock 4 is the best modern controller on the market with the most versatility.

Spirit Tracks is one of the best Zelda games, let down solely by mandatory microphone nonsense.

Arkham Origins is secretly the best Arkham game (honestly at this point I consider City the worst, but it's still great)

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's fun at first, but I found it to be extremely formulaic as I played more. But I can agree with you that my first impression was positive.

I guess the difference for me is i dont care if its all the same formula because iam not expecting it to change. I am playing this game without having to overthink which is a very nice change of pace compared to everything ive been playing recently. That being said there are awesome platforming stages and different things to do everywhere.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Now this is what I call controversial. What makes the game for you?

The worlds are fun to explore. The freedom in combat is probably the best in the series. I'm not saying it's a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination. But are the story and sidequests far worse than what is typical for an open world game? Not really. I get why people were disappointed, especially those who were invested in ME's characters and story. Andromeda doesn't reach anywhere close to the those levels. But it captures the sense of space exploration better since the original ME game and the improvements to combat make moving about the world and fighting enemies a lot more enjoyable than previous games in the series.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The quality of videogames has gotten so good in the last decade or so, that most "bad" games nowadays are mediocre/good.

Outside of Steam shovelware or outright broken games, any game has redeeming qualities and can be enjoyed regardless of general opinion.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Mega Man Battle Network 4's bosses and endgame are critically underrated
Marathon is low key the best early sprite-based FPS
Dota 2 probably has the most unique features of any multiplayer game ever and the client makes the rest of Valve's games look neglected in comparison.
The 7/10 being "average" phenomenon exists in game reviews because most games that get enough profile to be on Metacritc aren't shit.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are both better games than Wind Waker, which itself is an amazing game.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Lords of Shadow had some of the best lore/worldbuilding in an action game at that time, and was a great re-envisioning of classic Castlevania.
My man

I'll build on that and say that Lords of Shadow 2, while containing some design missteps and questionable narrative direction, is largely an absolutely phenomenal game, and the bad parts make up such a minuscule part of the experience.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Dragon Age 2 is a great game, and some of BioWare's best work, in spite of its rushed production and resultant issues.

KotOR II is much better than KotOR I, and the Jedi Exile is a much more interesting protagonist than Revan.

Mass Effect 2 is a better RPG than Mass Effect 1.

Prey (2017) is better than any BioShock.

Sleeping Dogs is better than any GTA.

Watch Dogs 2 is also better than any GTA.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
  • Natural Doctrine is a good game that simply values interesting tactical gameplay more than fancy presentation.
  • Fire Emblem Conquest is the best Fire Emblem game.
  • Wild Arms XF truly understands Final Fantasy Tactics style character building, and improves upon it in so many ways. Which ultimately makes it the better game.
  • Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time is the best SRPG ever released. Most people who played it I think agree, but it's just that almost nobody actually did.
  • Oblivion is the best Elder Scrolls game. Not as clunky to play as Morrowind, but still has actual guilds and stuff that Skyrim basically removed.
  • Pyre is the best Supergiant game. And by a huge margin. It just gets storytelling so right.
  • Counterfeit Monkey is easily a top 10 game of all time and honestly one of the greatest achievements in video game writing, despite the fact that almost no one actually played it.
  • Alpha Centauri is still the best civ game. I'm not even sure if this is controversial because I honestly don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.
  • Gacha games are actually okay sometimes. I mean mostly they're not, but sometimes.
  • Everybody interested in game design should play Chess and Go. They are just so significant historically and still have things most games could learn from.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Quest 64 wasn't all that bad, and was correctly marketed as a beginner JRPG.
Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario game of all time and it isn't even close.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you break your own thread rules I'm going to respond to the guy that thought Skyrim was good :P

Thread rules are feeling free to discuss and not attacking users. Me saying I can't behind your opinion is not a attack, so therefor doesn't break thread rules.

So lets get to it then, why is infinite the best in your book?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
-Anthem's combat loop (flying, abilities, shooting, etc) is the most fun in any GAAS
-Devil May Cry 2 was good
-Batman: Arkham Knight's batmobile was fun to use
-Donkey Kong 64 was great
-Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age are the best JRPGs

You know it to be true.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
Very kind words, OP!

I think my most "positive controversial" statement I think of on the regular is that Minecraft will likely end up as one of the most influential games towards the next generation of AAA and F2P titles around 2021-2024, due to both the sustained popularity of sandbox builders currently, and due to how many kids/teens have played or will play it.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3 was not only the best Halo multiplayer game, but one of the best multiplayer FPS experiences ever.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thread rules are feeling free to discuss and not attacking users. Me saying I can't behind your opinion is not a attack, so therefor doesn't break thread rules.

So lets get to it then, why is infinite the best in your book?
Oh I don't think Infinite is good at all

However I do think Bioshock 2 is the best in series which I guess might be controversial

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
I freaking adore Quantic Dream games and Beyond Two Souls is one of my favourites.

May 4, 2018
FLUDD brought an interesting set of movement mechanics to Super Mario Sunshine. It's still probably the "worst" 3D Mario, but that's more of a testament to the god-tier status of the series, and it's still better than pretty every other 3D platformer ever made.

Final Fantasy VIII is one of the best entries in the series despite it's shortcomings and the majority of the hate for it at this point I feel is mainly from people who either haven't played it since 1999 or didn't like that wasn't VII.

Also adding this in. Squall's character arc is criminally underrated. It was comforting to see a teenager protagonist that actually acted like a teenager and not a hyper-optimistic 30 year old.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival was a fine game. Some of the minigames were better than others, but overall it was an enjoyable experience.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Counterfeit Monkey is easily a top 10 game of all time and honestly one of the greatest achievements in video game writing, despite the fact that almost no one actually played it.
Don't just say that without pointing out that Counterfeit Monkey is completely free, was described by JP LeBreton as "Portal for English," and is an absolute must for anyone who likes playing with words. (You also need an interpreter: Gargoyle is good on Windows.)

Status
Not open for further replies.