• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
114024d1372723300-i-am-just-absolutely-stunned-you-beating_dead_horse_smiley.gif

flico

Dec 11, 2019
I love this movie. People that don't like the Paddington movies have to be the grumpiest grumps.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
2 was good, but I didn't like it as much as the first one. Wasn't a fan of the prison thing at all.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
wow SORRY man i didn't even see this thread, i wouldn't have posted mine if i had seen this 🙏

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I think I need to get around to seeing these. I don't know anyone who's seen them and thought the praise was a meme or something. The Citizen Kane RT thread got me interested.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm with this.

Paddington's human family are used veeery sloppily in 2 - the way they each get a task to perform feels like a rehash of 1 without the actual characterisation - and the climax is a big ol' action-setpiece-driven clusterfuck like every other kids' movie.
P1 has a great small-scale story where everything serves a purpose, and the way it weaves in the horrors of colonialism is dead clever.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give

Us

Paddington

If Paddington 3 makes it another perfect film would it be the best trilogy of all time?
At least top two, after The Before Trilogy of course.

The issue with Paddington 3, which is being made, is that it's a different team doing it sadly. Not the same director or writer I believe. They're off making a Willy Wonka Prequel…

Jul 4, 2019
The issue with Paddington 3, which is being made, is that it's a different team doing it sadly. Not the same director or writer I believe. They're off making a Willy Wonka Prequel…
I know, and I'm disappointed that Paul King isn't returning for a third. I want to have confidence in the third, but without him directing I'm cautious about it. He is said to still potentially be involved, but we don't know in what capacity.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Most people have no idea how amazing these movies are. It's really sad, actually. Everyone could stand to experience something so wholesome.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was well crafted but kinda dull. But I don't like dogs, cats or small children and I don't enjoy Pixar, Disney or even the fantasy Ghibli films so I guess I'm just not the target audience.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
These passed me by for years, the trailers made them really look like toilet humor terrible kids movies.

So wrong!
They are amazing. The second one especially, really channels/knocks off Grand Budapest Hotel, but I love it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I only just saw Citizen Kane was dropped from 100% by an 80 YO review... too lazy to look rn, but do other older films also include reviews from their release era?

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I've been trying to convince my roommates to watch Paddington for months. They keep balking at the idea that this children's book movie can be any good and continue watching their usual Disney stuff. They must see the light.
Huh? Isn't practically everything Disney makes children's book movies? Including the MCU?

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree.

Loved the first one and I'm just blown away that 2 is even better, went in the movie expecting it to be one of those phoned in sequels, instead they hit it out if the park

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
Movies are pretty subjective so I understand when people may not like well reviewed films or vice versa.

That said, if you don't like the Paddington films you are likely dead inside.

I remember watching the first half hour of the first one with an ex-girlfriend and she didn't like it so we switched it off.

Ex-girlfriend

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to watch PAddington 1 to understand Paddington 2, and is this an appropriate movie for a child? I assume the bear movie is but ..... I dunno, sometimes your expectations get challenged.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first Paddington and I don't remember a thing about it. No interest in the sequel.

Oct 30, 2017
It helps that Citizen Kane is a ReisdentSleeper of a movie.

I get the merit, but I have never had a desire to rewatch it. I still believe 2001 is the only film in history that continues to have an impact on modern day filmmaking.

Oct 30, 2017
Huh? There's hundreds of movies that still influence modern filmmaking.
I'm saying those other films can also trace their influences back to 2001 as well (I mean, any of those hundreds that don't predate 2001, that is).

I'm just saying that 2001 had a profound impact on me and how I look at movies today. I see more 2001 than I do Citizen Kane.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It helps that Citizen Kane is a ReisdentSleeper of a movie.

I get the merit, but I have never had a desire to rewatch it. I still believe 2001 is the only film in history that continues to have an impact on modern day filmmaking.

Not sure if you're aware of some obscure indie movies named Jaws, Star Wars, Seven Samurai, Snow White, Toy Story, King Kong, or whatever the first movie to have a retro cartoon character hang out with live action actors was.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I'm saying those other films can also trace their influences back to 2001 as well (I mean, any of those hundreds that don't predate 2001, that is).

I'm just saying that 2001 had a profound impact on me and how I look at movies today. I see more 2001 than I do Citizen Kane.
2001 is my favorite movie and it definitely changed how I look at films too. But I've seen plenty of movies from the 1920s to the 1960s that feel like blueprints for entire genres and styles. And films that pioneered editing, storytelling, and camera techniques that are still used to this day.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Except I wasn't referencing Paddington in my initial post but nice try.

You said 2001 is the only movie with lasting influence on modern filmmaking and I listed a bunch of movies that also have a lasting influence on modern filmmaking. I'm not sure where Paddington fits in. Outside of my joke about the abundance of 'CGI Cartoon Character with live actors' films, which isn't something inspired by 2001.

As for 2001 vs Citizen Kane in terms of overall influence, the Citizen Kane influence is primarily in the way the film was created and shot. It's also VERY effects heavy in a way I don't think people then or now truly realize. There's dinosaurs in Citizen Kane.

Oct 30, 2017
You said 2001 is the only movie with lasting influence on modern filmmaking and I listed a bunch of movies that also have a lasting influence on modern filmmaking. I'm not sure where Paddington fits in. Outside of my joke about the abundance of 'CGI Cartoon Character with live actors' films, which isn't something inspired by 2001.

As for 2001 vs Citizen Kane in terms of overall influence, the Citizen Kane influence is primarily in the way the film was created and shot. It's also VERY effects heavy in a way I don't think people then or now truly realize. There's dinosaurs in Citizen Kane.
Didn't CK have a lot of German Expressionism with the tilted wall angles and lighting? Also I don't remember dinosaurs lol

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Why didn't the studio just WAIT?

Pretty sure it was Paul King's choice to step away

www.flickeringmyth.com

Paddington 3 loses director Paul king, but he will continue as executive producer

While he helmed both Paddington and Paddington 2, Paul King has revealed he will be walking away from directorial duties for the third movie.

"At some point, you just have to stop. It might be time for somebody else to do a twist on it. I'm trying not to do a third bear movie, which is a huge, huge mistake."

That said, he claims recently to have penned the script for Paddington 3, and is remaining involved in some capacity beyond that.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Didn't CK have a lot of German Expressionism with the tilted wall angles and lighting? Also I don't remember dinosaurs lol

Yes it sure did! To both points, I mean.

There's a shot where they reused jungle footage from an older film and there's straight up pteranodons in it flying around. No one ever acknowledges it, and it's the sorta thing you'd only notice if someone pointed it out. I forget if Welles put it in as a gag or just hoped no one would notice.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'd happily recommend Paddington 2 to almost anyone, some people are beyond feelings of joy or have killed their inner child, the same I would for Citizen Kane. Both magnificent. Would recommend the first Paddington too.