• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, the percentage is the better way of doing things. It gives people a general idea as to whether the movie is worth seeing or not. It's fine as is.
Not really. There's a difference in terms of marketing when a movie puts "93% ON ROTTEN TOMATOES!" on their commercials compared to "7.3 ON ROTTEN TOMATOES!"

It's deceptive and that's why studios use it for marketing.

EDIT: Holy shit, RottenTomatoes now hides the average rating behind the tab, "more info". Fuck Rottentomatoes.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Should have happened ages ago. Should have been very clear how rotten the system is after the review bombing of TLJ. They choose then to hide their head in the sand, I guess because it was a good business for them, so I wonder what changed meanwhile. Maybe their audience declined?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Should have happened ages ago. Should have been very clear how rotten the system is after the review bombing of TLJ. They choose then to hide their head in the sand, I guess because it was a good business for them, so I wonder what changed meanwhile. Maybe their audience declined?
Either Disney flexed a bit or the millions of articles made them change their minds

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking knew this would end up like this and we are just getting started with drama.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's arguably a case where two negatives cancel out. Negative manipulation of user scores leads to adverse publicity about the aggregator site, so fearing loss of advertising revenue the site management takes corrective action.
Could be they wanted to streamline and make Rottentomatoes itself more appealing for studios in general because the more movies reference the site in their ads the more people will go to said site. TV Spots already cite RottenTomatoe's TomatoMeter, so it isn't a stretch to think this isn't some type of way for them to believe they're keeping studios happy by hiding parts studios may dislike so they get continued free advertising. I figure this is why Metacritic isn't used as much in terms of boasting about your movies acclaim.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Could be they wanted to streamline and make Rottentomatoes itself more appealing for studios in general because the more movies reference the site in their ads the more people will go to said site. TV Spots already cite RottenTomatoe's TomatoMeter, so it isn't a stretch to think this isn't some type of way for them to believe they're keeping studios happy by hiding parts studios may dislike so they get continued free advertising. I figure this is why Metacritic isn't used as much in terms of boasting about your movies acclaim.

pretty much spot on

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

That makes sense. Maybe not only studios but also the general perception about RT. To be relevant they have to be seen as trustworthy and relevant or the kind of review bombing CM had made RT quite the opposite in this case.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It's arguably a case where two negatives cancel out. Negative manipulation of user scores leads to adverse publicity about the aggregator site, so fearing loss of advertising revenue the site management takes corrective action.
Yeah that makes a lot more sense
Has hell frozen over or am I agreeing with spatula

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Has hell frozen over or am I agreeing with spatula

giphy.gif

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it was just a bad movie? Or how do you explain TFA having double the user rating of TLJ?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bet those incels who spammed negatives reviews on Captain Marvel over 'white man genocide' feel stupid now.

Knowing them, they actually feel empowered now because a corporation removed their "freeze peach" and now they will act as martyrs who are sticking it up to the man

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it was just a bad movie? Or how do you explain TFA having double the user rating of TLJ?

How do you explain the absurd amount of user reviews compared to any other film? Or the amount of copy/paste reviews that some how ended up on other film's pages? Or the amount of accounts that have only posted on TLJ's page and had never posted again until recently when they realized they could do the same with Episode IX?

Sure, some people thought TLJ was a bad movie for legitimate reasons, but that doesn't mean that all the reviews were legitimate.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

There is obvious bias and big deviations compared to any other measured user review. Some of which were more statistically sound than a glorified internet poll. I'm not saying that the negative reviews were all unwarranted, just that the number of them and the timing of them is outside of the normal behaviour and contradicts any other existing statistics.

Might be a duck after all.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Review bombing just makes the whole system meaningless.
This is a good move, but unfortunately there's no fixing user reviews due to how some people abuse it.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
How do you explain the absurd amount of user reviews compared to any other film?
The Force Awakens has 230k User Reviews
The Last Jedi has 206k User Reviews
That's not an absurd difference at all.

I dunno but have you ever considered that critic reviews have absolutely no meaning at all since pretty much everyone can become one and there is zero standards when reviewing movies among them? And then you read positive reviews and it's all just a bunch of blah telling you how beautiful this and that scene looked or just a way to show off your writing skills. The audience score doesn't tell you anything about the quality of a movie either, it only shows you how many people like or didn't like a movie.

That said movie reviews would be better if we didn't try to throw everything on a scale and instead move to "would/wouldn't recommed for this/that type of audience".

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it should never been a thing to begin with, I think you will see places tighten up reviews because they are rapidly losing creditablity due to being an brigading tool

Don't lie. Your hate for Carol ran so deep that you orchestrated this whole thing. I see you!
Brah, I would never be that sad. That takes a lack of self awareness that borders on non sentience

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Were people review bombing the movie because it has a female lead? The internet fucking sucks.

I'm not shocked, or anything... But I don't recall the same thing happening to Wonder Woman. Why this movie in particular?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Were people review bombing the movie because it has a female lead? The internet fucking sucks.

I'm not shocked, or anything... But I don't recall the same thing happening to Wonder Woman. Why this movie in particular?
She said she would like to be interviewed by more women and PoC journalists for the press circuit

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems someone at Disney got mad.

Made no sense to let people do this though. Seems they've also hidden the percentage that shows how many people are interested in watching a movie, too.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno but have you ever considered that critic reviews have absolutely no meaning at all since pretty much everyone can become one and there is zero standards when reviewing movies among them? And then you read positive reviews and it's all just a bunch of blah telling you how beautiful this and that scene looked or just a way to show off your writing skills.
Yawn.
The audience score doesn't tell you anything about the quality of a movie either, it only shows you how many people like or didn't like a movie.
Except you know critics are real people.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
"Nobody liked me because of the things I like and now it is mainstream and y'all didn't have to put with being looked down on and it isn't fair." This is the thought process, instead of looking in the mirror and realizing, "it isn't my hobbies that make people dislike me, it is because I'm an asshole."

Yeah, this. The "girls don't like me because I'm a nerd" is both a really convenient excuse for these people and also entirely false. Girls like nerds just fine. I have two children as categorical proof of that.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they should just end the user reviews altogether, they're worthless and they get review bombed by shitty online nerds at even the slightest hint of something actually inclusive

remember The Last Jedi's user reviews? shit was embarrassing

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
The new narrative by those who were pushing people to spam the user reviews is that the review bombing was "fake news" and anyone reporting on it was spreading lies.