• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Any list that doesn't have Barry in the top 3 is wrong by default.

HBO's golden age (the 2000's) wants a word with you.

Regular series:

1. The Wire
2. The Sopranos
3. Deadwood

Those 3 are the greatest and can switch up depending on mood. I will say The Wire is truly the best in terms of quality (the writing A+), but I enjoy rewatching Deadwood and The Sopranos more.

4 and 5? That is way too hard. Rome, Six Feet Under, The Leftovers, and yes even Barry deserves a seat at the table.

Most underrated and underwatched HBO series?

1. Carnivale
2.Treme.

Best HBO mini series?

1. Band of Brothers
2.. Chernobyl
3. Generation Kill

I guess you could even break it down between comedy and drama. That said it is amazing how many HBO shows I am not even mentioning that were great.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
True Detective season 1
Deadwood
Mr Show
Flight of the Conchords
The Wire
The Larry Sanders Show
Curb Your Enthusiasm
How to With John Wilson
Silicon Valley
Carnivale

That's My top 10

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bored to Death being so low makes me sad. Trash list, if for nothing else than the metric behind it is all wrong.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Any list that doesn't have Westworld as #1 or #2 should probably be ignored.

You're funny!

Succession pulled me in further and further like no other series, so its my favorite. Can't wait for Season 3. Barry is up there for me as well

Succession is extremely good right now. I think a few years from now it will be considered among the top HBO shows. Season 2 was amazing.

For me it is probably Band of Brothers or Deadwood.

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
That's the first show I looked for. I wish that show was streaming somewhere.

Same. Also:
1st & Ten.
Not Necessarily the News

And I have some vague memory of maybe a documentary or newsy type show (or limited series or maybe just a single special feature, lol). All I remember was it kinda scared me as a 5-year old in the mid-80s. It might have been about pollution or something else completely, lol.

My only memory really is how it made me feel. I think I was paranoid about pollution or things being poisoned or something. The only visuals on my mind (which could be unrelated completely or just made up) was of a scene with a family eating at a dinner table and of some shot of a pipe outdoors draining some nasty, polluted water into a river/lake/something.

šŸ˜‚ My memory is worthless on this, but HBO could make it easier if they had all of their old programming available. At least until I can find out what this memory was from (or to see if my mind is playing tricks on me and it was all a dream)

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fuck yeah. My wife and I watch it the way lame mother fuckers apparently watch The Office on Netflix; constantly.

Sucks that Jeffrey Tambor turned out to be a piece of shit. Because he is fucking great in this. Hank's Night in the Sun might be my favorite episode. From him thinking he is in trouble for eating in his work clothes, to Artie telling him he doesn't suck, shit is hilarious.

Hahah yep that's an incredible episode. It really is a shame Tambor is a piece of shit because I'd have called Hank my favourite comedy character at one point but not sure I can separate Tambor and Hank adequately enough to think that now.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Man, HBO has some fantastic content over the decades. Also a lot of shows that have been long forgotten that mop the floor with a lot of the more modern stuff. Bored to Death, In Treatment (first season, anyway), Generation Kill, Angels in America ...

Ranking far under such undeniable "greats" as Boardwalk Empire or Silicon Valley ...

Just shows you how worthlesss this stuff is for measuring actual quality

EDIT: Lol, Carnivale isn't even on that list. Probably because there aren't enough reviews for it

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Watchmen, Sharp Objects, Big Little Lies and The Outsider are all great and very well made.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
The Best:
Six Feet Under
The Wire
Carnivale
Flight of the Conchords
Deadwood

Great but not top 5:
Band of Brothers
Chernobyl
Insecure
Silicon Valley
GOT
Boardwalk Empire
Los Espookys
Barry
In Treatment

Have not seen (yet):
The Leftovers
OZ
Sopranos
Rome
Mr. Show

Last edited:

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think it's difficult to shoehorn in older shows from before they did TV reviews. I imagine the older database just isn't very good.

One thing I am surprised at though is the Six Feet Under score. Would not have expected something that low as I consider it a pretty beloved series. I thought critics really liked it back then.

Didn't see my boy John from Cincinnati listed so it isn't entirely comprehensive!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
These lists RT compiles are worthless.

Anyway, I re-watch Rome every year. I have yet to watch a more perfect and better executed first season from any TV show.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I know that RT isn't the end all be all but the fact that the weakest show is at 62% is very impressive.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I know Barry is critically acclaimed... but its still underrated.

edit: i'd put deadwood above the wire.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
1. The Leftovers
2. Take your pick.
Leftovers at #42

tenor.gif

The Wire at #25

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Have not seen (yet):
The Leftovers

You need to watch Leftovers asap

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
This list just highlights how utterly useless RT score is for ranking stuff.

The greatest tv show ever isn't the show that most people liked or didn't hate, it's the show that most people absolutely adored (but RT score doesn't give you even a hint of that).

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see Los Espookys and Black Lady Sketch Show so high. Barry is great too.

I may destroy you deserves the spot up there too. Animals is great too.

i know is aggregate ratings but Six Feet Under is top 5 no doubt. Amazing acting, unique premise and one of my favorite endings ever. One of the few tv endings that manages to stick the landing and surprise while staying true to itself.

I feel like some of the recent shows will go down as they age just because not every show can maintain quality.

also, Betty is good, is it getting a second season?

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sopranos isn't just the best hbo series, its the best TV series of all time .

Nevermind Deadwood, Band of Brothers, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire etc, being ranked under The Night Of? Garbage tier list.

1: The Sopranos

2: Deadwood

3: Band Of Brothers

4: The Wire

5: Rome

6: First half of Game.of thrones

7: Boardwalk Empire

8: Six Feet Under

8: Chernobyl

9: Curb your enthusiasm

10: My Brilliant Friend

Oct 25, 2017
The Comeback continues to be pretty robbed--the first season was under appreciated at the time of release, but it made sense since it felt a little ahead of its time. No such excuse for people sleeping on the second season, though, when the show came back years later.

It ends up being a pretty fascinating series because of how much it evolved over the time gap--the first season largely takes a run at network television and trash reality TV, while the second season takes on prestige dramas.

Basically I'm saying more people should watch it and while I understand why the RT score is as low as it is, it's still wrong.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Too much recency bias, these kind of lists should only look at shows that are at least 5 years or older. Its a bit silly to put shows from 2019 and 2020 from "all time EVER" best lists, give it a few years to bake.

also RIP no Life and Times of Tim on list, the cartoon nobody watched. Literally 0.0 rating some weeks

hydruxo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Rotten Tomatoes is always a poor barometer for tv shows IMO, so it makes this list kind of scattershot. Some of the stuff in the top 10 like Los Espookys doesn't have many reviews, and it's probably not something that the vast majority of people would have in their top 10 HBO series.

Sopranos and Wire would obviously be the #1 and #2 on most lists that aren't just based off review scores.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
The Wire and The Sopranos need to be in the top 5, and Curb should be way higher.

Honestly, the first half of Game of Thrones is probably top 10 but the second half is a dumpster fire, I can see why it's so low overall.

Either way, while I think RT scores are useful, they are an absolute joke for ranking. It's silly to sort after binarizing everything.

Singher

Apr 10, 2018
I honestly can't believe The Night Of reviewed so highly. What a trash show.

1.The Wire
2. The leftovers
3. Deadwood
4. Sopranos
5. Mr. Show
6. Band of Brothers
7. True Detective season 1
8. Bored to Death
9. How to with John Wilson (it's that gooood)
10. Curb

for me I think.