• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fdst1983

Aug 26, 2018
Just saw a best hbo series of all-time list, and I don't what to say about that Top ten! Give me your opinion about the whole list at all

editorial.rottentomatoes.com

The Best HBO Series of All Time Ranked

"We're Here" joins recent HBO series like "Lovecraft Country" and "Industry," and more in our ranking of the best HBO shows by Tomatometer. Find out where HBO shows like "Game of Thrones," "Deadwood," "Insecure," "The Wire," "The Sopranos," "Barry," "Chernobyl," and more landed on our list of...

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Mr. Show and Barry are my "fuck yeah" picks from the top ten

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It's bullshit that From the Earth to the Moon isn't even on the lisr.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
RottenTomatoes 'Best Of' lists are really dumb because the RottenTomatoes percentage doesn't measure whether or not something is good or not. If a movie or a series gets only 6/10's it's still 100%, so suddenly it's better than something far superior that might have gotten one negative review from Armond White.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Here is the real list:

1. The Wire
2. The Sopranos
3. Deadwood
4. Larry Sanders
5. Mr. Show

Book it, because I'm always right first thing in the morning.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Any list that doesn't have Westworld as #1 or #2 should probably be ignored.

Oct 27, 2017
kind of weird list, but i love that los espookys is super high here, it's SO goddamn good.

here's my list:

1. six feet under
2. everything else

exaggerating (the wire, sopranos, i may destroy you, and many others are fucking great) but six feet under will never not be one of the best shows of all time to me.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
it's an RT article about the flaws in using them as the arbiter of "quality"?

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Damn there's a lot of good stuff in there. When you see Game of Thrones at 52 you realise just how much good stuff they push out. Not seen/heard of most of the top 10 mind, and a bit sad to see 6 Feet Under so low down, but have enjoyed recent one-offs like Sharp Objects and Outsider

jml

Mar 9, 2018
RottenTomatoes 'Best Of' lists are really dumb because the RottenTomatoes percentage doesn't measure whether or not something is good or not. If a movie or a series gets only 6/10's it's still 100%, so suddenly it's better than something far superior that might have gotten one negative review from Armond White.

Yeah this results in some pretty silly rankings on this list like Treme being ranked above The Wire.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oof it's a hard decision but my favourites are Six Feet Under, Rome, Deadwood, Sopranos, Band of Brothers and GoT.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Rotten Tomatoes is useless for TV shows. For new series critics are allowed to influence the overall percentage even if they just review the episodes provided to press pre-release (sometimes only 1-3 episodes).

Critics can review individual episodes but a lot of them just dump their review of the first few episodes in the main page so it counts towards the overall % despite having seen only a fraction of the series.

So you end up with a ton of over-inflated scores which would've been lower had critics actually reviewed the entire series as a whole.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
1. Deadwood
2. The Wire
3. The Sopranos

then everything else

Succession is probably up there in the top 5 as well

(Game of Thrones is easily the worst of the ones i've seen, which is almost all of them)

watham

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama, USA
Rotten Tomatoes isn't super reliable when it comes to TV reviews, IMO. They just don't have enough data to pull from. All the shows the posters are saying here are right, great options all around.

tycoonheart

Oct 25, 2017
I like the fact that Mr. Show is in their top 10, which I think is deserved. That show was so ahead of its time.

But putting the Sopranos at 37 is comical. Putting it below Boardwalk Empire is comical.

Oz at 57. Yikes.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any HBO list that has Wire and Sopranos outside of the top 25 should be ignored forever.

Lmao @ Boardwalk higher than Sopranos. This is a bad list.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Succession pulled me in further and further like no other series, so its my favorite. Can't wait for Season 3. Barry is up there for me as well

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
The Wire
Westworld (there is only one season, like how there's only one Matrix movie)
Watchmen

I've never understood the standing people give The Sopranos. I watched the first three seasons back when they were relatively new, and thought it fell of hard after season two.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The Wire.

Somewhat related but damn is Tales From The Crypt ever going to hit a streaming service?

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
It's seems just purely based on rt score which is not surprising obviously .
But the actual top 2 are the sopranos and the wire .

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Worst placement here is Silicon Valley so high. For a show that had 2 great seasons then 4 bad to okay ones it's crazy how much critical praise it gets.

Sopranos should be #1 of course, but that's just more a function of how RT scores work for TV shows and their inflation over time for certain genres.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit they did a Little Britain USA? The only thing worse than a Little Britain is a USA adaptation surely.

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020
1. The Sopranos
2. Deadwood
3. The Wire

Don't much care after that, there's plenty of good around the same level as each other. Haven't seen Barry.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Any list that doesn't have Barry in the top 3 is wrong by default.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Larry Sanders is the greatest comedy of all time so I can't begrudge that being number 1.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a terrible list if you're just going to base it on RT scores.

Sopranos is my HBO GOAT. While I didn't care for The Wire, most people are obsessed with it. Neither are in the top 20, which is silly.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Barry, Band of Brothers and Chernobyl. I also hear that Watchmen is really good (though, they cancelled the second season due to the director backing away and wanting to do something else).

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Larry Sanders is the greatest comedy of all time so I can't begrudge that being number 1.

Fuck yeah. My wife and I watch it the way lame mother fuckers apparently watch The Office on Netflix; constantly.

Sucks that Jeffrey Tambor turned out to be a piece of shit. Because he is fucking great in this. Hank's Night in the Sun might be my favorite episode. From him thinking he is in trouble for eating in his work clothes, to Artie telling him he doesn't suck, shit is hilarious.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
As bad as GoT final 2 seasons were Imho its too low on the list, if we ignore the plot the quality alone of the production should grant it at least a top 20...

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So many great content from HBO over the years.

That streak of shows HBO had when they were redefining TV drama was remarkable.

From 1997 to 2004 they broadcasted:

Oz
The Sopranos
Six Feet Under
The Wire
Carnivàle
Deadwood

GODDAMN!