• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better movie?

• Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 493 36.4%
  • The Last Jedi

Votes: 860 63.6%

• Total voters

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
ROTS is a garbage movie, the praise it gets for being slightly less worse than TPM and AOTC is ridiculous.
The memes are all it has.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't give a fuck about how much money the film did, because guess what, money don't always mean something... i was talking for myself before the "good taste police" came in defense of the film.

Gtfo with this shit or just don't partecipate on a discussion when people can have different opinions if you have to act like this...

Are you gonna say the same thing to any people who liked rots more than tlj?? Well you have another 260 people to talk jist in this topic buddy, don't waste time with me, i'm not gonna change my mind jist because the film make 5 billions dollar...

You made a ridiculous and factually wrong comparison. Now that it was called out, you're angry.

Relax.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Comparing The Last Jedi to being as bad and damaging to a franchise as Alien Covenant is absurd.

You see upset.
It was an example because the guy who asked me seems confuse by my post, and because i know that my english is shit i was trying to explain myself.

I'm not upset, i just hate when people can accept other people opinion...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It was an example because the guy who asked me seems confuse by my post, and because i know that my english is shit i was trying to explain myself.

I'm not upset, i just hate when people can accept other people opinion...
The film didn't "kill hype" overall, even if it did for you. Opinions are fine, but sometimes they're a little ridiculous so it's okay to call them out.

Your English is fine though mate.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone choosing RotS actually watched it recently? I feel like coming off Attack of the Clones anything seemed pretty good, but it really does not stand up on repeated viewings. You may not like everything in the ST but at the very least they're both fun and watchable films.

Every time I rewatch Revenge of the Sith it gets worse and my love for it grows. XD

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The film didn't "kill hype" overall, even if it did for you. Opinions are fine, but sometimes they're a little ridiculous so it's okay to call them out.

Your English is fine though mate.
But i was talking for myself, why it's so complicate to understand??

Are you talking for 1000 people in you posts?

FOR ME that film killed any hype i had for the saga, next movie will be on a hard discounted blue ray, no movie theater for me anymore.

Is it more clear like that??

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I guess in the same way you can make anything qualitatively relative?

I mean, you are correct that MORE happens but my issue is with how it's told. Like I have a hard time getting into when all of the acting is so unremarkable at best and straight up bad performances at worst (not the fault of any of the actors). I guess for me I could never get into the story as the individual parts never clicked in especially Hayden's performance which weighed the whole thing down and prevented me from buying to him being THE Darth Vader from the OT.

Like the order 66 scene didn't really do anything for me since I didn't really know any of the characters, its just a bunch of randos (maybe if I read more EU novels I'd care??) getting murders by PS2 CGI troopers.

I will say that the Clone Wars tv show actually makes me somewhat buy into Anakin as a character, if only Filoni could redo the entire PT in clone wars styling (with the same VO crew)

Oh I agree. Especially the part about Order 66. It wasn't actually until The Clone Wars that we even got to meet those Jedi properly, learning their names, their personalities, their relationships... That actually retroactively improves that part of the movie because, by then, you've spent seasons with the Jedi that die in it and the clone troopers that will kill them. It breaks your heart to see the Jedi you know so well betrayed by the soldiers they trusted with their lives.

I tend to believe The Clone Wars was Lucas' way of doing the prequel trilogy right. He provided the concepts and ideas but Filoni turned those ideas into stories. As you say, Anakin is especially more believable in that show. You can actually see how this angry, determined, possessive man would burn every bridge he needed to in order to save Padmé and how it would be so easy for him to just take one step too far in the wrong direction.

I just tend to think, really, that Revenge of the Sith does enough right and has enough happening to make it the better movie between it and The Last Jedi. A pretty big problem with The Last Jedi is that it wastes so much time on a pointless space chase and Canto Bight when it could've used that time to do something meaningful with the cast it has. Poe and Finn had so much potential coming from The Force Awakens but then the only time Rey, Finn and Poe share a scene is right at the end of The Last Jedi when they should have been spending most of the movie together.

It's like... if Revenge of the Sith is this ambitious yet flawed project that tries to connect the prequel era with the original era, then The Last Jedi is the disappointing meat of a sandwich that feels like it wastes so much potential that it's hard to appreciate what little it actually gets right (and it does get some things very right).

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
ROTS is a garbage movie, the praise it gets for being slightly less worse than TPM and AOTC is ridiculous.
The memes are all it has.
Yeah, I think at some point people got confused mentally and started equating loving the memes making fun of ROTS with just loving ROTS.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Not everything can be an opinion.

Saying that The Last Jedi damaged the Star Wars franchise as Genysis damaged the Terminator franchises is factually wrong.
So i can't even have a personal opinion?? Are you serious or what?

Maybe it's factually wrong for you, not for me, it's really not that hard to understand...

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I explain that on my successive post, yiu guys looks more upset than me because i have a different opinion lol...
Having an opinion is fine.

You can also have an opinion that has factual inconsistencies. It's the nature of opinions.

Having an opinion does not shield you from people disagreeing with the things you say, especially when your opinion contains something that rings untrue with objective reality.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ is a legit good movie
RotS is a joke of a movie

pretty easy decision

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The other reestablishes everything that we were supposed to know about the force while still working in line with the character's personalities and state of mind.

Nah. The "if the Jedi die the light dies/vanity" stuff fells way off and totally something made up for TLJ to tear down. I never got any kind of ownership from the OT. "The force is my ally...life creates it..."

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Has anyone choosing RotS actually watched it recently? I feel like coming off Attack of the Clones anything seemed pretty good, but it really does not stand up on repeated viewings. You may not like everything in the ST but at the very least they're both fun and watchable films.

ROTS was always bad, I think a lot of people who love it conflate "overly dark and violent" with "mature and complex"

lot of my friends in high school did at least lol

astro

Oct 25, 2017
But i was talking for myself, why it's so complicate to understand??

Are you talking for 1000 people in you posts?

FOR ME that film killed any hype i had for the saga, next movie will be on a hard discounted blue ray, no movie theater for me anymore.

Is it more clear like that??
So i can't even have a personal opinion?? Are you serious or what?

Maybe it's factually wrong for you, not for me, it's really not that hard to understand...

The issue here is that, online, it's very hard to tell when people are stating their opinion as just for them or for everyone. We have so many ITT (myself included) stating our opinions as facts even if we do ultimately know they're just our own takes.

So, anyone who does this, myself included and everyone else, opens themselves up to counter opinions. If you're going to state opinions as fact, even if everyone else is doing it, you're going to get people counter you.

If you want to avoid this, you simply use language like "Personally, it killed all hype for me... and I know I'm not alone".

Otherwise you just enter the boiling pot of shit with the rest of us and get back what you put in.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
The only parts I really liked and wanted to rewatch in Jedi were the Rey and Kylo scenes.

Most of Sith ranges from okay to great and there's a ton of lightsaber fights so I'd really rather watch that again.

I picked Sith, don't hate me.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Having an opinion is fine.

You can also have an opinion that has factual inconsistencies. It's the nature of opinions.

Having an opinion does not shield you from people disagreeing with the things you say, especially when your opinion contains something that rings untrue with objective reality.
I give up, next time write on the topic title "you can't have different opinions because are factually wrong" or some shit like that If you can't accept that your reallity is not the same of everyone else...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I give up, next time write on the topic title "you can't have different opinions because are factually wrong" or some shit like that If you can't accept that your reallity is not the same of everyone else...
You stated your opinion as fact, and like the rest of us who did this you had people directly counter you and tell you that you're wrong. I've had people tell me I'm wrong because I too stated opinions as fact, you can't complain if this happens when you do.

If you're gonna play it that way, you need to deal with it like the rest of us do. As I said above, you can easily avoid it.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
You stated your opinion as fact, and like the rest of us who did this you had people directly counter you and tell you that you're wrong.

If you're gonna play it that way, you need to deal with it like the rest of us do. As I said above, you can easily avoid it.
No i didn't...the question was: do you like more tlj or rots,my andwer was very clear and it was a personal opinion, never talked for more people, just for me.

But maybe you guys can read my mind...i mean we are in a star wars topic so everything is possible...these aren't the opinions yo're looking for...

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The relationship between Rey and Solo tips the balance for me and is the most compelling part of the movie

ROTS just makes me groan but at least its better than Attack of the Clones which is damn near unwatchable

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I voted correctly for TLJ but I rewatched ROTS last week and I know it has massive problems but it's also super fun.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No i didn't...the question was: do you like more tlj or rots,my andwer was very clear and it was a personal opinion, never talked for more people, just for me.

But maybe you guys can read my mind...i mean we are in a star wars topic so everything is possible...these aren't the opinions yo're looking for...
Sorry, but this is how language works. You made absolute statements like the rest of us doing it who have been called wrong.

"Revenge of the sith not killing any hype for star wars saga like tlj did speak for himself... "

Reads like you're making a statement overall rather than saying it was for you, and, again, many of us have done this too and been called wrong... and that's totally on us, as it's totally on you.

This is the issue with online discourse, people do not know how to frame their opinions well and everything reads like absolute statements. Most of us do this, so we cannot complain when we have what we wrote called incorrect. It's a huge reason why these discussions descend into mud slinging, very few people frame their opinions reasonably in SW threads.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
When you're talking about subjective topics like "do you like coffee?" then, uh, yeah, you can't say someone's opinion is wrong just because you disagree with it.
i never said it was unilateral (see an earlier post)

Again, it's my personal opinion, how can you possibly tell me that i'm wrong?
So i'm forced to like the film because reasons? Is this a collective prank??
When you're basing your opinion on something with incorrect facts (like, for example, saying that in your opinion TLJ did as much damage to Star Wars as Terminator 5 did to Terminator) then your opinion is wrong because it's based on a foundation of incorrect information.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Sorry, but this is how language works. You made absolute statements like the rest of us doing it who have been called wrong.

"Revenge of the sith not killing any hype for star wars saga like tlj did speak for himself... "

Reads like you're making a statement overall rather than saying it was for you, and, again, many of us have done this too and been called wrong... and that's totally on us, as it's totally on you.

This is the issue with online discourse, people do not know how to frame their opinions well and everything reads like absolute statements. Most of us do this, so we cannot complain when we have what we wrote called incorrect. It's a huge reason why these discussions descend into mud slinging, very few people frame their opinions reasonably in SW threads.
Well it was a personal opinion, do i have to repeat "imo" 4 time in a post to make sure that people can understand??

Is the speaks for himself part that confuse people?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Well it was a personal opinion, do i have to repeat "imo" 4 time in a post to make sure that people can understand??

Is the speaks for himself part that confuse people?
This isn't hard mate... everyone who words it like you did gets called wrong by someone, myself included. You can avoid this and you can't complain if that's how you choose to state it.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
This isn't hard mate... everyone who words it like you did gets called wrong by someone. You can avoid this, totally up to you.
Can you make an example of how do i have to write a personal opinion so next time i can't say what i think without being piled on??

My english is indeed pretty shitty if i can even write something without giving the impression of talking for 100.000 people...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Can you make an example of how do i have to write a personal opinion so next time i can't say what i thonk without being piled on??

My english is pretty indeed pretty shotty if i can even write something without giving the impression of talking for 100.000 people...
I'll PM you what I feel about this as it's becoming meta commentary.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
TLJ is my favourite SW film but Sheev is my favourite in SW which makes ROTS my second favourite SW film.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you make an example of how do i have to write a personal opinion so next time i can't say what i think without being piled on??

My english is indeed pretty shitty if i can even write something without giving the impression of talking for 100.000 people...

English is also my second language, this is not a valid excuse.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think RotS is that much better than AotC. It's good for the memes, but not much else.

TLJ is far, faaaaar from perfect, but it's much better than any of the prequels.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think RotS is that much better than AotC. It's good for the memes, but not much else.

TLJ is far, faaaaar from perfect, but it's much better than any of the prequels.
This is where I stand too.

TLJ has a decent amount of issues, imo, as does TFA. However, both of those films amount to more than the sum for me. As overall experiences, they retain similar magic to the OT, and ultimately that is what's important to me here.. not being perfectly made films.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like TLJ. I think it has tons of issues.

However it is far FAR better than ROTS in pretty much every way.

ROTS is funnier though.

OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I never thought I'd see someone defend the prequels by saying Yoda looked fake in TLJ

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
English is also my second language, this is not a valid excuse.
Forgetting an imo or a me is not a valid excuse to pile on a person either, especially if that same person clarify himself saying that it was a personal opinion...
Next time i will avoid completely to even write an opinion if this is what i get for having different ideas, i clearly understand that some people are really defensive about this film...

Probably the same people who write things like "imagine being mad at people who not like what you like" in the videogames section...