• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better movie?

• Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 493 36.4%
  • The Last Jedi

Votes: 860 63.6%

• Total voters
Dec 21, 2017
As above average as Revenge of the Sith was, it was entertaining and a fitting end to the prequels.

The Last Jedi utterly, completely, fucking fails at the most basic of its jobs - Part 2 of 3. A shitty ending is a shitty ending. Dexter Season 8 went out exactly as you'd expect, GoT S8 didn't leave a season 9 for some other schmuck to come up and clean up after. TLJ left someone [Abrams in this case] with nothing to do for your last movie aside from killing Kylo, leading to pulling Palpatine out of his ass to retcon this miserable existence of a trilogy. When you start as a trilogy, and your strategy is to "completely fucking wing it" is a terrible idea, especially when the second one drains every bit of an interesting idea from this rehash of a trilogy.

RoTS ends one trilogy and TLJ ensures that the other is at minimum in the worst cinematic trilogies of all time. You might even put the prequels on that list, but it would be lower than the ST. Disney has handled the ST with less finesse than DC's Cinematic Universe. At least Batman V Superman had some elements that would make people want to see Justice League if it weren't a terrible movie.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The entire point of the sequel trilogy is to do nothing new? You're really going with that argument?
I am talking aesthetically, obviously. And it wasn't "do nothing new", it was build it in line with history of the universe... pay attention.

And it doesn't matter how much the PT tried to do new when it utterly fumbled ALL of it, especially the entire point of the story: Anakin's fall.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the toughest poll I've ever seen on ERA. I don't think I can vote for either of them haha. I need that Thor Dark World option.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
ROTS might have the meme power, but it's an awful movie. I feel indifferent about TLJ, at best, so it wins by default, I guess?

Recently attempted a re-watch of ROTS (more like skimming through it after suffering it for a while) and I cracked up when a sandpeople scream is played in the background when Sheev talks to Anakin about his mom. What a joke of a movie lol.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ is a much better film, but it doesn't have Ian McDiarmid giving the performance of the decade. I'll vote TLJ, but with some reservations.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Rots is in the top 3 best SW movies, TLJ is dead last.

tumblr_mjp1c92if21rv5zh8o1_500.gif

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It should barely even be a debate.

TLJ is a well-made movie. ROTS is not.

All of the prequels are poorly written and directed. ROTS being the "least bad" doesn't matter much when it's still bad.

TLJ is better written and saying the direction/cinematography is better than ROTS is closer to a fact than an opinion.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I just rewatched TLJ, like right now, and I was floored all over again by that movie's quality. TLJ is truly a love letter to Star Wars, and it really is the best Star Wars movie after ESB.

It's outrageous that some "fans" have thrown such a tantrum over hurr durr subversion just because the movie told a mature story with coherent themes, instead of being a masturbatory fan film full of two-dimensional hotshots saving the day, and sickass battles with swirling glowsticks starring Force God Luke Skywalker in his Space Jesus robe.

The most rabid segment of the fanbase doesn't know or deserve quality. It's as though they value classic Star Wars for the most simplistic wish fulfillment elements, not the great storytelling and deft character writing that partially justifies its cultural impact (along with the design, sound, and music). No wonder they prize the prequels and despise the sequels. The only way that view makes sense is if they have puerile taste.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Palpatine alone makes ROTS the better movie imo. He is the ultimate Star Wars villain, fact.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
Having just watched every Star Wars movie, it is incredible to me that ROTS has even any votes. The prequels are so so bad, honestly ROTS is the worst of the three. Nothing makes any sense in those movies!
I do not like Last Jedi at all, but as bad as TLJ is it'll never be as terrible as the prequels

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Some people are really going over the top with their hate for The Last Jedi, it almost feels like it's disingenuous.

Nov 8, 2017
The strengths and failings of both movies are so totally different.

ROTS has what I consider to be a good overall arc, but almost every beat is just sort of badly written and directed. If you redid the same plot but hired someone else to punch up the script and got anybody other than George to direct I feel like it would be an excellent film. As it stands it's just kind of "ok" with the main highlight being Pappa Palpatine and Backstroke of the West. The effects are constantly jarring too. There's a thick layer of cheese that can be enjoyable to some.

TLJ I found to be an extremely messy film. The acting is better, the directing is better, and obviously things like the effects are 100x better (it's a great looking film), but I still struggled to enjoy it. So many small niggly things bothered me about it, and I think that because it got a lot of things right, the things it did get wrong feel more jarring than they otherwise would.

I would have to rewatch TLJ to get it more fresh in my mind and fairly judge it. I didn't love it though, and I also don't love ROTS, so my current thoughts are that they're two very different films that both disappoint me in different ways.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I will say there's nothing as consistently amusing as Star Wars threads on ERA, with how seriously so many of you take the series.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Not even a contest.

One has a bad acting and bad dialogue, but an interesting thought-provoking story, great mythos, characters and worldbuilding. It moves the overall story along and ends on a high note. It isn't the best movie, but it's earnest.

The other is just bad. Too long, dull and often illogical, retreading ESB and ROTJ beats, with a muddled message, and a lot of non-characters (Rey/Finn/Poe are all diminished in this movie), cringe humor and an almost spiteful disdain for the themes and topos of the 2 original trilogies. It ends with nowhere to go. It's a hipster ironic take on SW.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am talking aesthetically, obviously. And it wasn't "do nothing new", it was build it in line with history of the universe... pay attention.

And it doesn't matter how much the PT tried to do new when it utterly fumbled ALL of it, especially the entire point of the story: Anakin's fall.

The sequel trilogy is just a cynical remake of the original trilogy, copying its ideas and concepts and making them more depressing because reasons. It doesn't just fail to acknowledge the events of the original trilogy, it shits all over them by saying they didn't matter.

It only retains the aesthetics because they'd rather cash in on nostalgia than do something exciting and new with the setting.

At least the prequel trilogy didn't do that. It introduced new worlds with new aliens and civilisations, showed us the Jedi at the height of their power and the most important event in Star Wars so far - the fall of the Republic and the collapse of the Jedi Order.

What does the sequel trilogy show us? A copycat Empire with a copycat Vader and a copycat Rebellion and a copycat Luke and the lesson that there are no happy endings unless Disney says so because everything everyone spent the first six movies fighting for was pointless.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Not even a contest.

One has a bad acting and bad dialogue, but an interesting thought-provoking story, great mythos, characters and worldbuilding. It moves the overall story along and ends on a high note. It isn't the best movie, but it's earnest.

The other is just bad. Too long, dull and often illogical, retreading ESB and ROTJ beats, with a muddled message, and a lot of non-characters (Rey/Finn/Poe are all diminished in this movie), cringe humor and an almost spiteful disdain for the themes and topos of the 2 original trilogies. It ends with nowhere to go. It's a hipster ironic take on SW.
Where do you people come up with this stuff? It's mind boggling.

Literally just rewatch the Yoda scene for a complete and definitive rebuttal to all this.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The sequel trilogy is just a cynical remake of the original trilogy, copying its ideas and concepts and making them more depressing because reasons. It doesn't just fail to acknowledge the events of the original trilogy, it shits all over them by saying they didn't matter.

It only retains the aesthetics because they'd rather cash in on nostalgia than do something exciting and new with the setting.

At least the prequel trilogy didn't do that. It introduced new worlds with new aliens and civilisations, showed us the Jedi at the height of their power and the most important event in Star Wars so far - the fall of the Republic and the collapse of the Jedi Order.

What does the sequel trilogy show us? A copycat Empire with a copycat Vader and a copycat Rebellion and a copycat Luke and the lesson that there are no happy endings unless Disney says so because everything everyone spent the first six movies fighting for was pointless.
No, the PT is a hot-mess of convoluted ideas wrapped around an utterly fumbled core story. It's visuals are sterile and lacking ANY of the charm and magic of the OT.

While it isn't without its flaws, the ST is a glorious return to form.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, the PT is a hot-mess of convoluted ideas wrapped around an utterly fumbled core story. It's visuals are sterile and lacking ANY of the charm and magic of the OT.

The ST is a glorious return to form.

Right so you aren't interested in any actual discussion, just parroting opinions as though they're fact. I guess we're done then.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Right so you aren't interested in any actual discussion, just parroting opinions as though they're fact. I guess we're done then.
No, I'm not interested in having a discussion that I've had to death a dozen or more times in recent months.

You came at ME with your ranting, I have no obligation to humour how wrong you are... you, the person parroting their opinions as fact! :)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
hahaha it's so good. And the "I HATE YOU" that anakin does, saying "from my perspective the x are evil", so many good lines

- Not from the Jedi/Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise ?

- You underestimate my power

- You're shorter than I expected

- UNLIMITED PAAAWAAAAAA

- It's treason, then

- I AM the senate

- Hello there

These have gotten a SHIT TON of uses from me.

Still to this day. 100% love it.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm not interested in having a discussion that I've had to death a dozen or more times in recent months.

You came at ME with your ranting, I have no obligation to humour how wrong you are... you, the person parroting their opinions as fact! :)

Oh right, you're one of those people who post opinions online and don't want anyone to reply to you unless they're agreeing with you. Okay, I get it.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Not from the Jedi/Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise ?

- You underestimate my power

- You're shorter than I expected

- UNLIMITED PAAAWAAAAAA

- It's treason, then

- I AM the senate

- Hello there

These have gotten a SHIT TON of uses from me.

Still to this day. 100% love it.

Those are all super solid and I use a bunch of them haha

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Oh right, you're one of those people who post opinions online and don't want anyone to reply to you unless they're agreeing with you. Okay, I get it.
Well, being correct must count for something.

It's not like the prequels were ever prized as worthy followups to the OT. The backlash is very well documented. On the other hand, the sequels have been largely well received in spite of the online hysteria.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I can't imagine having taste so bad that I'd seriously and with a sober mind select RoTS.

I know a lot of you were children when RoTS came out so it has a bit of nostalgia attached to it, but goddamn.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
1) What does the robot have to do with it ?

The platform literally changed going from left to right, to right to left, then stopped moving entirely as it conveniently placed itself in front of obiwan. Come on.
I'm talking about platform they were Indiana jones fighting on.

2) Once again, you're missing the point, they have used the force and they saw what it did. Using it is risky for both. If they're both hanging on pipes and the clash happens they both fall and die.
In the "high ground" situation, using it is only risky for Anakin since Obiwan would only get pushed back on the ground and Ani in the lava.
Or it's just a poorly written fight and "he might use the force on me" isn't a valid reason to not be able to do a jump that's lower than the one he did two minutes ago.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

It's not like the prequels were ever prized as worthy followups to the OT. The backlash is very well documented. On the other hand, the sequels have been largely well received in spite of the online hysteria.
I can't imagine having taste so bad that I'd seriously and with a sober mind select RoTS.

I know a lot of you were children when RoTS came out so it has a bit of nostalgia attached to it, but goddamn.
The truth bombing campaign across this thread has been devastating.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RotS is better in pretty much every single department. Story, characters, music and hype.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Neither the prequel nor the sequel trilogy are worthy follow ups to the original trilogy. You evidently just can't recapture that magic so using the original trilogy as the benchmark is pointless. All you can do when judging the prequels and sequels is how they use the setting to tell their own story and as far as that metric is concerned the prequels are a success and the sequels... aren't.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Please do not attack me personally, because you can't handle a different opinion.
How did you conjure an attack from that combination of words? If you don't want to engage, then don't engage.

I don't like Yoda in TLJ to be honest. He looks and sounds weird.
I just rewatched the movie and he looks and sounds perfect to me. Like a modern but not too modern version of his classic self.

Neither the prequel nor the sequel trilogy are worthy follow ups to the original trilogy. You evidently just can't recapture that magic so using the original trilogy as the benchmark is pointless. All you can do when judging the prequels and sequels is how they use the setting to tell their own story and as far as that metric is concerned the prequels are a success and the sequels... aren't.
Telling their own story is a very low bar that both trilogies clear. So far the sequels have the advantage of being competently directed, written, and acted, with better cinematography, along with prop, set, and costume design on par with the OT's.

The prequels have beautiful art design, excellent music, dated CG, mostly bad performances, and memorably awful dialogue. They also totally fail to effectively dramatize the story of the Republic's downfall and Anakin's turn. The writing is so, so bad. So bad. Astoundingly bad. Lucas needed an editor and several ghostwriters.

Last edited:

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
It should barely even be a debate.

TLJ is a well-made movie. ROTS is not.

All of the prequels are poorly written and directed. ROTS being the "least bad" doesn't matter much when it's still bad.

TLJ is better written and saying the direction/cinematography is better than ROTS is closer to a fact than an opinion.
TLJ certainly has better cinematography but its writing isn't miles ahead.

It starts with a god damn yo momma joke :| plus theres some real dead lines like "Master Skywalker, we need you to bring the Jedi back because Kylo Ren is strong with the dark side of the force", the delivery is alongside some of Portmans lines from Episode 1.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I just rewatched the movie and he looks and sounds perfect to me. Like a modern but not too modern version of his classic self.

He looks absolutely god awful.

It genuinely looks terrible. As if there had been absolutely no improvement made to puppets in 40 years.

I was relived to see Baby Yoda looking so good in comparison as it's also a puppet.

Looks and sounds pretty much perfect to me:

This looks so fake it's insane.