• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
root-film-switch-hero

Developer: Kadokawa Games
Publisher: PQube Games
Writer: Hifumi Kono (Clock Tower series, Steel Battalion, Infinite Space)

Platforms: Nintendo Switch/Sony PlayStation 4
Release Date: 19th March

Synopsis:

Unravel a 10-year-old mystery lost in 35mm film
Root Film is a thrilling adventure game with visual novel elements. Follow Rintaro Yagumo as he is selected to be the director for the rebooted "Shimane Mystery Drama Project", a TV series which was cancelled for an unknown reason 10 years ago. His excitement for this amazing opportunity is quickly curbed when a horrible murder interrupts their location scouting process.

Follow him and a cast of unique and memorable characters as they are drawn deeper into a thrilling mystery. Become your own detective as you unravel the truth through investigative gameplay mechanics, adding a new layer onto the visual novel formula.

Beautifully hand-drawn illustrations
From character designs to environments, Root Film is brought to life by gorgeous artwork. Every scene becomes picture perfect, with meticulous detail and a carefully curated color pallet.

Travel across the Shimane prefecture
Visit multiple locations spanning the entire Shimane prefecture as you try to find out the truth about "Shimane Mystery Drama Project"!

Become your own detective
The 'Intuition' mechanic allows players to acquire keywords during in-game conversations. Once activated, 'Intuition' reveals words on screen that are essential to investigations and confrontations.

Face off against suspects
After collecting enough keywords, you can confront suspects in 'Max Mode' to resolve a mystery. In this fighting-game like face-off, you must ensure that enough evidence has been collected before the confrontation to successfully bring suspects to justice.

Screens:

root-film-switch-screenshot01

root-film-switch-screenshot02

root-film-switch-screenshot03

root-film-switch-screenshot05

iu

Trailers:

Official Site:

Root Film | Visual Novel | Out Now On PS4 and Switch

Unravel a 10-year-old mystery lost in 35mm film! Navigate your way around Shimane Prefecture, search for clues and memorise keywords to battle key characters and expose their lies!
www.nintendo.com

Root Film for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Root Film and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

Root Film

Unravel a 10-year-old mystery lost in 35mm film

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Man, there's a lot of Visual Novels Releasing these days and upcoming months. Not complaining lol. I'll wait and see the impressions in this thread.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the initial announcement but I had no idea it was coming out so soon. Curious to hear impressions.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
No, that's World's End Club.
No, that's World's End Club (originally titled 'Death March Club'), that's out end of May, I think.

Shoot, thank you two. I just went through that Direct trying to figure out if this was the game and couldn't find it. I'm definitely hyped for that one!

I'll have to look up information about Root:Letter and this one. Visual Novels have been a favorite for me lately.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
How does the writing stack up against Root Letter? The mutually exclusive accounts of the past in different endings of that game didn't entirely appeal to me, and I wasn't quite engaged enough to get the true ending before returning my rental.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Just impulse bought this since I want a murder mystery to play. Hopefully it's at least decent.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
I have my retail copy coming in the mail, hopefully, I will get it soon.

I found Root Letter to be alright but was really into Raging Loop for the most part. So hoping this one really clicks for me from start to finish.

OP
OP
Sumio Mondo

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Couple of reviews dropped (upon Googling since MetaCritic and OpenCritic have none listed):

https:///reviews/root-film-review/

Ultimately, Root Film is a fantastic mystery visual novel that provides a thrilling story, a colorful cast of characters, and the kind of excitement you might not expect from the genre.

Fans of adventure games like those made by Telltale or even older-style games like Monkey Island might want to give Root Film a try. Meanwhile visual novel fans will find little to complain about asides from the typos; as the story, voice cast, and art direction are all top notch.

goombastomp.com

Root Film is a Cozy & Clever Collection of Murder Mysteries

Root Film is a captivating collection of intermingled murder mysteries that goes to some surprising (and often quite dark) places.

Root Film is a Cozy & Clever Collection of Murder Mysteries

Root Film is a well-written collection of murder mysteries culminates in one shocking finale. It's also a shining example of the power of visual novels; the illustrations in every scene don't only add perspective and immersion to the narrative, but they can also be interacted with in a meaningful way that adds to the experience. Kadokawa Games nailed that vital push and pull needed in detective media of giving the audience just enough while still keeping them in suspense. Save for one case along Riho's route where the culprit was glaringly obvious from the start, each grand reveal genuinely surprised me with unexpected revelations and sound reasoning. For genre fans who want to take a more active role in solving mysteries–and who wouldn't mind doing it alongside a delightful, fully-realized cast–Root Film is an absolute delight.

Another:

checkpointgaming.net

Root Film Review - Lights, camera, murder

Root Film, spiritual successor to Root Letter, offers a satisfying mystery and beautiful anime-style art in this detective visual novel.

Positive:
  • Solid overarching mystery with a satisfying ending
  • Generally interesting mysteries
  • Visually interesting with a beautiful art style
Negative:
  • Some tell-don't-show solutions
  • Mechanics are too simple
Despite my problems with some of the storytelling, I enjoyed Root Film a lot. The beautiful anime-style art and relatable characters are more than enough to make up for my temporary frustrations, and I was happy to just be along for the ride. As an avid mystery game fan, I'll guzzle down as many of these as publishers translate, so the fact that it wasn't a perfect 10/10 doesn't bother me, as long as the ending is satisfying – which for Root Film, it is. It gets my recommendation.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
This seems to address a lot of the faults in Root Letter, and the reviews so far make it seem like a solid mystery VN. It's definitely on my list.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
I really liked Root Letter actually, so I was looking forward to getting this physically. It being a PQube release though, I didn't pre-order because usually their games get dirt cheap within 2 months, they seem to always produce lots of copies.

Seems to be different with Root Film this time though. It's apparently sold out everywhere here in Germany for Switch, also in some UK shops. Amazon.co.uk still has it. Does anybody know if this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/pqube-FG-ROO2-NSW-EFIGS-Root-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B08P4RX8JZ) is the Day One edition with the slipcase (this one)? Did this version even come out or did they not release it this time around? Any input from people who already received their physical edition would be much appreciated. There's also the Limited Edition in the official shop that is only 20 bucks more but they don't ship to Germany currently :(

Also funny little anecdote: I'm currently playing through Root Double on Switch. I could have sworn it was the successor to Root Letter before I played it, but Root Double really doesn't have anything to do with this Root series. Still a good game!

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody know if this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/pqube-FG-ROO2-NSW-EFIGS-Root-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B08P4RX8JZ) is the Day One edition with the slipcase (this one)? Did this version even come out or did they not release it this time around?
I'm pretty sure that's just the limited edition's box. Shots of the limited edition use the same render (you can even see the box flap on top), and some quick googling didn't turn up any mention of a day one edition.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
This game reminds me a lot more of something like Daedalus (or Jake Hunter) than Root Letter. I'm really digging it.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Looks like it's getting some pretty solid impressions. Decided to take a chance and ordered a European copy, I've been in the mood for a new murder mystery to read. Hoping I like this more than Root Letter!

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Someone I know who translates Japanese mystery fiction really liked it, so I've been meaning to pick this up. Still have Daedalus and Gnosia at the top of the VN queue though...

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Does anyone know how long this is? Root Letter was short for a VN IIRC (short would be good btw, I'm looking for a smaller experience).

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gonna stick around for more impressions.

One of the review links above is broken. Banned site?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Finished Yagumo chapter one last night and got around 30-45 minutes into his second chapter. So far I am enjoying this more than Root Letter. I will say though that
the company keeping footage of an accidental car wreck in their archives and then using it to test Yagumo
seems very disrespectful.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Wow i Just bought root letter, but didn't begin yet. This one look so beautiful, root letter is this good too ? ( i must be used to old vn on pc haha)

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Yagumo chapter one last night and got around 30-45 minutes into his second chapter. So far I am enjoying this more than Root Letter. I will say though that
the company keeping footage of an accidental car wreck in their archives and then using it to test Yagumo
seems very disrespectful.

Things can get a little weird with the reasoning behind things, for more than just the first chapter.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Just read some reviews and the game looks decent. I really enjoyed the "adventure" parts of Death Mark, is this one on the same level in that regard?
I heard people saying something around ten to fifteen hours.
Yeah, I too was worried about its length. I usually prefer 10hr VNs, so this one appears to be right up my alley when it comes to length if 10 hrs are confirmed.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Finished Yagumo's part 1, credits feel a bit overblown for a glorified prologue. Hard to judge much based upon that but I like the mechanical groundwork being laid.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I love Root Letter to bits and excited to eventually get to this one.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
If anybody wants the big box pegi edition of the PS4 version. Shop4Megastore has 2 copies left. Switch already sold out.

www.shop4megastore.com

Root Film PS4 Game - shop4megastore.com

Buy Root Film PS4 Game and other products in Gaming at shop4megastore.com. Order today and receive Free Shipping and hassle-free returns on all our products.

Use code BLOWOUT10 to save an extra 10%. Comes out to $45.74 after tax.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So I'm confused

I think Riho is Yagumo's sister, but I'm not sure why the game is hiding this. Riho has the same synesthesia as which "runs in the family" and she mentioned having a brother. Why hide her last name from the player?

Don't tell me, I'm just thinking out loud here

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm confused

I think Riho is Yagumo's sister, but I'm not sure why the game is hiding this. Riho has the same synesthesia as which "runs in the family" and she mentioned having a brother. Why hide her last name from the player?

Don't tell me, I'm just thinking out loud here

Despite the game not telling you, there's an order to play the chapters. If you check the trophy list on PSNProfiles as an example, you can find it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Despite the game not telling you, there's an order to play the chapters. If you check the trophy list on PSNProfiles as an example, you can find it.

I'm playing on switch, good to know

For anyone curious here is the list per psn profiles since the trophy titles appear to be a tad spoilery.

Yagumo 1
Yagumo 2
Riho 1
Riho 2
Yagumo 3
Yagumo 4
Yagumo 5

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
Finished reading this tonight, really enjoyed it. Much much better than Root Letter. Characters are actually likable unlike Root Letter. The game still has the tourism vibe to it which seems to be a defining feature of the series now. Solid mysteries, everything is relatively grounded, and there is enough there to give an emotional response. It's worth a read, but the value at full price might not be there depending on how much you like visual novels. I thought it was worth it but I love visual novels.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
I should receive this today. I actually really enjoyed Root Letter's simple story and beautiful art, so I'm looking forward to dig into this.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Finished the 4th case, game is a solid swimming in 7's for me. None of the murder mysteries are that spectacular, and the game just kinda explains the solutions without really giving the player a chance to solve them on their own. That said the characters are a lot of fun and the writing has been engaging enough to keep me going.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure that's just the limited edition's box. Shots of the limited edition use the same render (you can even see the box flap on top), and some quick googling didn't turn up any mention of a day one edition.
Thank you! I contacted PQube and they confirmed this. They usually do Day One editions with a slipcase, so I somewhat expected Root Film to get one as well. But there truly is only the limited edition (that I can't order due to them not shipping worldwide) and the standard edition in a regular Switch case. I ended up ordering the regular version now, it's fine as well. It will look weird in my shelf next to the Root Letter Day One edition packaging, but that's fine :) I'm excited to play it.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Started this the other night and am really enjoying it so far.
Also seems to be the 1st VN I've played in ages whereby the protagonist isn't a complete arsehole which is a welcome surprise.
Hoping I have it finished by the time The House in Fata Morgana comes out.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Started this the other night and am really enjoying it so far.
Also seems to be the 1st VN I've played in ages whereby the protagonist isn't a complete arsehole which is a welcome surprise.
Hoping I have it finished by the time The House in Fata Morgana comes out.
Considering the Root Letter protagonist was kind of a douche canoe at best and probably could be charged with something at worst, I see Yagumo as a definite improvement.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Considering the Root Letter protagonist was kind of a douche canoe at best and probably could be charged with something at worst, I see Yagumo as a definite improvement.

Definitely! I literally started Root Letter a few nights before I picked this up and was disappointed that it fell into that trope. (I enjoyed the gamep;ay though which pushed me to buy this)
At least he didn't seem as big a prick as the bloke from Steins:gate.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Still haven't gotten my copy yet (made the mistake from ordering from GS) but I've been playing Root Letter to "catch up" and I'm not really digging the story or the twist...I'm hoping Root Film is better than Root Letter.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game last night and got the platinum trophy earlier today. Going to write my review throughout the day, but I can assure everyone that it's a better and shorter game than Root Letter. I really enjoyed it, with some noticeable caveats like the localization.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Won't be able to finish the game until later, but man this final case has completely changed my opinion on the game. I still think the mystery solving mechanics are weak, but how the story is wrapping everything up went well above what I expected.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Finished this morning, overall I enjoyed the game though I have a few issues with the story and how it ultimately played out.

After all the hype for this mysterious 3rd film, an accident on set and an actress committing suicide by jumping off a cliff feel pretty tame for a "cursed tape". I'm not sure why they brought up the change in directing/editing style for Ibuse for the 3rd film while pointing out his other films from that era. It's also very questionable how Monami got Riho alone on a beach to film Riho's suicide but Ibuse and no one else involved in the 3rd films production knew what happened.

I also feel like Monami's ultimate goal and motives felt a bit muddled. Her twin sister dying and nobody helping her twisting her? Yeah I can understand that giving you a warped sense of reality that filming someones death is this beautiful art moment. That said I'm not sure the leap of logic that made her go "I'm going to manipulate this girl to commit suicide to help this no name director become talented", wasn't Ibuse more likely to retire from film making/be shamed for letting his actress die? Not spurred by it to become a better director? Why didn't she drive more people to kill themselves on film for over a decade?

Overall I liked the game, but the story feels like it needed an epilogue to just tie a few things up, the ending montage during the credits didn't do enough for me.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Overall I liked the game, but the story feels like it needed an epilogue to just tie a few things up, the ending montage during the credits didn't do enough for me.
I finished the game Sunday night and definitely agree with this.

Overall, I would agree the opinion I found in a few reviews for the game that it is very Ace attorney light. I think it works in some ways. For example, the lack of needing to directly submit evidence to characters during the exploration bits means if you get lost you do not have to get into the loop of "submit everything to everyone to set what works" like if you get lost in Ace Attorney sometimes. And moving to different locations during exploration is easier since there is no need to be a X location to get to Y as the map will have them all shown (I will say the using the left stick to move around can be real finnicky though). In other ways, I think it does not work such as for the Max Mode sections.
Putting aside the Riho sections, the characters you are interrogating all admit to their wrong doing with little struggle. Even if Monami is the most persuasive person in the world, I feel like most people would still want more than 3 or 4 things that tie them to the crime stated to them before they just admit to it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I finished the game Sunday night and definitely agree with this.

Overall, I would agree the opinion I found in a few reviews for the game that it is very Ace attorney light. I think it works in some ways. For example, the lack of needing to directly submit evidence to characters during the exploration bits means if you get lost you do not have to get into the loop of "submit everything to everyone to set what works" like if you get lost in Ace Attorney sometimes. And moving to different locations during exploration is easier since there is no need to be a X location to get to Y as the map will have them all shown (I will say the using the left stick to move around can be real finnicky though). In other ways, I think it does not work such as for the Max Mode sections.
Putting aside the Riho sections, the characters you are interrogating all admit to their wrong doing with little struggle. Even if Monami is the most persuasive person in the world, I feel like most people would still want more than 3 or 4 things that tie them to the crime stated to them before they just admit to it.

Yeah the Max Mode sections just weren't very good. They're the worst example of multiple choice answers in a mystery game that force the player down a logic chain they may not otherwise have been on. It's especially frustrating when you're presenting gotcha evidence for the obvious dumb shit lies like "x worked for y", and not the more crazy parts of the mystery that Yagumo/Riho solve off camera. The game rarely lets you feel clever by figuring something out before the game explains it to you with information you simply didn't have access to.

The game still had the aa problem of occasionally I wouldn't have talked to someone enough times and would have to circle back through every location looking for the line of dialogue I missed to move the plot forward.