• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dangerous1992

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Story
The year is 2030. Business is as usual in the isolated research city of Rokumei–that is until several explosions suddenly go off in the nuclear research facility known as "LABO." The city sends in "Sirius," an elite rescue squad, to deal with the situation. But the situation only gets worse when LABO's nuclear reactor melts down, sending the facility into lockdown–with members of Sirius and survivors still trapped inside. With lethal radiation leaking everywhere and not enough anti-radiation medication to last until lockdown lifts, the survivors make more and more grim discoveries. In their struggle for survival, in a deathtrap full of fire and radiation, they learn that doubt is their greatest enemy, and trust their greatest asset.

The story of Root Double features two different protagonists: Watase Kasasagi, a rescue squad captain who has lost his memories in the hours after the incident, and Natsuhiko Tenkawa, a student piecing together the clues in the six days before. The only key to survival lies in the player's hands with the Senses Sympathy System (SSS). Unlike traditional visual novels, Root Double does not have clear cut "choices," but rather, the game uses SSS to allow the player to manipulate the story based purely upon emotion. Your emotions projected upon the characters, particularly your trust in them, shape the progression of the story. Only with effective use of this system and completion of both protagonists' stories can the player piece together the truth and hope to discover a way out of the facility.
Related Links:
VNDB - Kickstarter Page - Metacritic - Discord Rokumei Server - Walkthrough (attention to spoilers!!)

Release Date:
March 13, 2018 (PS Vita)
April 27, 2016 (Steam)

Price:
Steam US$ 34,99
PSN US$ 39,99

Where to buy:
  • US PSN Vita (Release tomorrow)​
Finally all the Vita Fans can experience this thrilling and emotional adventure tomorrow, from the acclaimed director Takumi Nakazawa (Never7, Ever17, Remember11, I/O) his latest work finally available on a handheld system! Are you all ready for the next Mementinceptionovel exprience?

My short review on steam from two years ago

One of the best Visual Novels that you can play on Steam at the moment. One that excels at characterization, at the end of the journey you'll feel empathy for almost all the characters of the game, many tragic moments that have a powerful effect on you, because of the affection you've gained for them during the journey. They have all a deep background story and motivations for all the actions they'll take during the VN.

It's not a VN about the plot twists and the end result, it's about the journey you have with the characters and the world.
Don't get me wrong, it has some really good plot twists and intriguing mysteries, but it's not the main focus and strongest point of the VN.

I liked all of Nakazawas Visual Novels, but they are really different and not comparable, they have elements in common but that's it, I/O for example did not have as much focus on the characters as in Root Double, but the worldbuilding was even more believable, and the overall plot really complex and it didn't gave you the answers at the end whereas Root Double answers all your questions!

Compared to Remember11 it's even more different, Route A with more focus on tension and pacing of the story is the most similar section you'll find in Root Double.
But the rest of the vn, especially the seCond half is entirely different than Anything he's Done before!

and here the best part of this VN, its characters:

8dea2ad285f8ea96e07c87520f6fd02c_original.png

10b83e2c7600e73e61caefda9a7b5bea_original.png

f40f80990807680186dd208fac567c09_original.png

d1dbd02961d1becff9d678c565f93857_original.png

f8bb027453ac812268606b44bd2648d1_original.png

c74de8a1959f6f36e6582135a24b7258_original.png

e3d345b983829c4ac0edb001169f3742_original.png

f4aba1decc1f925d90ad5716bd77d55b_original.png

47253dbd21bc4381909263c9ed2405dd_original.png

f47e8a72830f9a49ed5031c1a3287201_original.png

Bonus - What Enneagram Type are you?

I'm 5w4 (that would be Watase x Salyu in the Game)
You can do the test here

short description of what this exaxtly means personality wise:

1w2 Servant-Leader Caring, advocating, reforming, demanding
2w1 Altruist Warm, serving, people-pleasing, somatizing
2w3 Giver Friendly, adaptable, supportive, status-seeking
3w2 Motivator Charming, encouraging, ambitious, narcissistic
3w4 Achiever Ambitious, creative, image-conscious
4w3 Individualist Original, different, introspective, moody
4w5 Artist Unconventional, self-conscious, depressive
5w4 Visionary Cerebral, creative, provocative
5w6 Observer Investigating, perfecting, contrarian, socially awkward
6w5 Guardian Investigating, dependable, contrarian, cynical
6w7 Loyalist Reliable, balanced, entertaining, wary
7w6 Enthusiast Spontaneous, quick, gregarious, impulsive
7w8 Excitement Seeker Extroverted, engaged, impatient, escaping
8w7 Rebel Power seeking, revolutionizing, violent
8w9 Boss Leading, challenging, delegating, bullying
9w8 Mediator Optimistic, inspiring, belligerent
9w1 Peacemaker Independent, philosophical, stubborn
1w9 Idealist Principled, purposeful, judgmental

Last edited:

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT!

I'm waiting for the EU release...whenever that is. Hopefully SP will sort it out sooner rather than later.

Ended up with 5w6. That's...interesting :P.

Esfolia

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Good to see an OT for this. It still doesn't feel real that they're releasing Root Double after many years of waiting.

Deleted member 1484

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Although I'm gonna play it on PC, I'm going to start it tomorrow too!

Speaking of which, if someone wants to try the PC version too, here's a spare key from a past Humble Bundle:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've owned the PC version for ages but have held off on playing it to save my first time for the Vita.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I just got the steam version not too long ago. Guess this is a good time to actually play it.

OP
OP
Dangerous1992

Dangerous1992

Oct 26, 2017
really embarassing Sekai, we can't never be sure at this point if it even comes out on the dates they give out....The only positive thing is, that's really worth the wait guys, but yeah during these months i've recommended to simply play the PC version to the majority of people

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FINALLY

EDIT: oh, another delay? Jeeez, sure am glad I played it on steam. You newcomers are in for a treat. Oh and

Tachibana is best girl, this is law

OP
OP
Dangerous1992

Dangerous1992

Oct 26, 2017
So i asked Nakazawa on Twitter if they have interest in porting Root Double to the Switch, because it would be a great match (the colors and not to mention the terms you'll find in-game "LABO" & "ARMS", RD would feel right at home on the Switch hehe )

He responded positively and said, good idea, i'm sure it's helpful for Regista, so if you want to see it share and like my tweet:

https://twitter.com/XenoCross92/status/972859563513909250

rootdoubleswitchgps84.png

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
So i asked Nakazawa on Twitter if they have interest in porting Root Double to the Switch, because it would be a great match (the colors and not to mention the terms you'll find in-game "LABO" & "ARMS", RD would feel right at home on the Switch hehe )

He responded positively and said, good idea, i'm sure it's helpful for Regista, so if you want to see it share and like my tweet:

https://twitter.com/XenoCross92/status/972859563513909250

rootdoubleswitchgps84.png

I believe Regista is releasing a game for the Switch soon, I'm sure they'll release more games for the platform.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
What's the recommended route order for this? Any guide or walkthrough not to miss anything?

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
What's the recommended route order for this? Any guide or walkthrough not to miss anything?
The game lets you starts with either After or Before, but you should definitely start with After, the story just works a lot better that way. The rest of the routes have a predetermined order. There are a ton of optional bad endings to see which a guide definitely helps with. This guide is pretty decent.

OP
OP
Dangerous1992

Dangerous1992

Oct 26, 2017
then there is the guide in the OP you could use, i thought it was easier use, but i recommend using it only after you reached the ending Root A and Root B, so that you remain as spoilerfree as possible

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Will buy and download this after work today. I got 1w2 or 2w1 on the test in the OP.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just started, and I think I've already figured out a couple twists.

The silhouette of the protag in the CG with the monster-dude looks a whole lot more like the After protag. The character outfits also look nothing like the hazmat suits, so I'm guessing his mind transported to somebody else's body in the past, to the previous incident that he had regrets about.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
It seems like they sent an US psn key to everyone. Are they also going to send an EU key to every backers ?

It's weird that they didn't sent a survey.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
What about EU backers? Are they buying the game again to play the game on their region?

OP
OP
Dangerous1992

Dangerous1992

Oct 26, 2017
So how does this run on the vita? I am hesitant to drop 40 bucks on an unknown quantity.
it runs great without flaws so far, and the controls were adjusted accordingly. Only the audio is somewhat compressed, but thats the payoff for reducing the file size. The PC version remains the definitive version because of that, but the Vita port is really good.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
What about EU backers? Are they buying the game again to play the game on their region?

"Instructions: These are keys for US PSN Store You can redeem: Go to [PlayStation Store] > [Options] > [Redeem Codes]. Carefully enter the code and select 'Continue'. The credit or content is now applied to your account. EU backers will get keys when the game is ready on EU PSN."

I guess they will either do a survey or use the shipping information to send EU backers an EU code.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
This game is pretty good, I'm surprised. I feel like I'm in it for the long haul and I can't wait to see what are the twists behind the whole setup.

OP
OP
Dangerous1992

Dangerous1992

Oct 26, 2017
This game is pretty good, I'm surprised. I feel like I'm in it for the long haul and I can't wait to see what are the twists behind the whole setup.
i will only say this, pay attention to every little details, i really pays off, especially because you can disover the twists before they reveal them, the foreshadowing is excellent!

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any other guides available? I want a straightforward one that'll help me get the good and normal endings as painlessly as possible.

OP
OP
Dangerous1992

Dangerous1992

Oct 26, 2017
Root Before remains my favourite after reading through it a second time, some really good and emotional moments there, packed with strong foreshadowing

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Root Before remains my favourite after reading through it a second time, some really good and emotional moments there, packed with strong foreshadowing

Aye it was great at setting up stuff. Starts of slow, but then starts hitting you like a truck over and over in rapid succession at the end. I think I lean more towards Root After though, Watase is the coolest dude and I enjoyed the
(what I thought was)
hard sci fi thriller.

OP
OP
Dangerous1992

Dangerous1992

Oct 26, 2017
Aye it was great at setting up stuff. Starts of slow, but then starts hitting you like a truck over and over in rapid succession at the end. I think I lean more towards Root After though, Watase is the coolest dude and I enjoyed the
(what I thought was)
hard sci fi thriller.

yeah in the end i liked every route
loved D too, it was a nice way to dive even deeper into the characters and their motivations
but Before surprised me more, because i dislike SoL portions in VNs, but B managed to keep me interested

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished √After.

Welp, it's going to be a while before that cliffhanger's resolved. Time to start on √Before.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got to my first normal ending, which was really a bad end as I clearly messed up along the way. My impression so far is that the game is very familiar. The plot is very well-worn disaster VN territory and nothing has stood out as a big hook or specific strength so far. However, it has been a fairly enjoyable and brisk read, so I will surely keep going. I like the sense system; it's a bit more interesting than binary choices, except for a few parts where I didn't know how to set the values in order to do what I wanted to do and had to trial-and-error it.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got to my first normal ending, which was really a bad end as I clearly messed up along the way. My impression so far is that the game is very familiar. The plot is very well-worn disaster VN territory and nothing has stood out as a big hook or specific strength so far. However, it has been a fairly enjoyable and brisk read, so I will surely keep going. I like the sense system; it's a bit more interesting than binary choices, except for a few parts where I didn't know how to set the values in order to do what I wanted to do and had to trial-and-error it.

I think its just a little bit different from other disaster VNs. Keep at it! :)

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the After route.

I love how the ending shows a preview for the next route. Also, I get the feeling that the story is only just beginning.