• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Growing pains in terms of manufacturing and maitaining cosistency. They tend to rush out the cars at the end of each quarter and unfortunately they still have QC issues to work through. But it really is a life changer driving one.
Yeah, having the roof blow off at 70mph certainly could be a life changer, especially if someone was driving behind you at the time.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Established manufactures put more money into EV research than Tesla.
It's not like they all pool their research together, though, at least not for the EV market.
And even if we were to assume that you're referring to a single manufacturer, that research is a waste when the product the research produces has far worse ranges and charging times.
And at this point, since Tesla has released all of their patents, the only thing manufacturers need to do to compete is figure out component assembly that is equal or better to a Tesla and they could manufacture a Toyota or Honda that drives like a Tesla in a much better chassis. You'll forgive me if I'm not seeing where that's happening.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Well, even with Honda and Toyota its still no guarantee, like Honda automatics from the late 90s and early 2000s that were garbage. Toyota's 2.4L 4cyl they put in a lot of cars had oil consumption issues, but at least thats manageable if you pay attention.
Rule of thumb; Never buy an automatic Honda. I've heard they improved recently but they're not bulletproof as stick Honda. As for design flaw in the Toyota 4cyl engines it pales in comparison to other cars. I owned a Chevy sedan and my dad a VW SUV. The amount of money we sunk on these clunkers were disgusting.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever "selling somone a death trap," and "emotional distress" is in legalize

Guess it depends on jurisdiction but general emotional distress isn't worth anything in many jurisdictions. Yeah, negligence could be applicable for selling the defective vehicle but it doesn't seem to have resulted in any obvious injury or damage to property other than the car, so hard to say whether you'd get much more than the lowest tier of damages possible as 'acknowledgment'. I don't know why the roof blew off so it's hard to say what happened and whether it would have been from negligence or whatever though.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Don't understand why anyone would buy a Tesla when they're still getting basic things wrong like this. How would anyone even let something like this off the line at the factory?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Did the machine that applies the glue to the roof/glass run out of glue or something before the glass was put on the roof?
How do these things still happen when the whole point of the Model Y was for it to be as close to the Model 3 as possible and therefore making it easier to assemble with all the knowledge they've gained from producing Model 3s...

I've had my Model 3 for 1,5 years now and I've had absolutely no issue with it but it's crazy that they're still having such blatant issues.
They really only care about the number of cars sold and not the actual quality of them. Such as shame. I wonder what the quality will be like once Model Ys start getting produced in Berlin.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Rule of thumb; Never buy an automatic Honda. I've heard they improved recently but they're not bulletproof as stick Honda. As for design flaw in the Toyota 4cyl engines it pales in comparison to other cars. I owned a Chevy sedan and my dad a VW SUV. The amount of money we sunk on these clunkers were disgusting.

Yeah, it was the only recent Toyota issue I could think of. Overall I'd rather have an engine that I have to top up the oil every 1k miles over something that will break and not work at all.

Not surprised to hear that a Chevy or especially a VW would be a money pit. I used to work at a dealership in an autoplex, and we were next to VW and for a while had some of their mechanics on our side. Its where I learned to never buy a VW, even though they're nice cars to drive. Chevy's aren't all bad, but a lot of their vehicles just seemed half assed. Especially mid-2000s and earlier when they were worse, as they've gotten better recently.

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even today the Model S has issues with interior panels not lining up, which isn't something you normally see outside preproduction trials. But passing the roof detaching as "working through a few kinks" is a bit dismissive.

And while ymmv with things like this, I think this evidence is enough that no one can honestly say they're not poor at manufacturing compared most other established OEMs.
My Stingray had much worse build quality than my 2020 Performance Model 3. Having to go through three door panel replacements and a dash replacement and catalytic converter all within the first year of a brand new vehicle. These generalization comments aren't a fair assessment of Tesla when other brands are equally crappy at times.

Yes this was shitty it happened, but I've literally never heard of anything like it before. Count this as a one off till more reports come out. Now if you want to complain about lighting issues I'm all for that. I had to have a head light replaced ( for free ) and have some condensation that comes and goes on the tail light.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is one of many reasons I'm not buying a Tesla yet. The quality control just isn't there. The panel gaps on my friends Model 3 Performance (2020 model) that I test drove just a little while back were honestly outrageous. Arguably the biggest and most obvious panel imbalances I've ever seen on a vehicle. Not something I'd have accepted on my current or previous cars. These are premium vehicles at the end of the day, and thus should have a level of fit, finish and quality befitting that.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good thing it happened so early into the purchase and that no one got hurt.

The mod post on Reddit beginning with "This is not the kind of post we normally let through" was a tad strange, though.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Stingray had much worse build quality than my 2020 Performance Model 3. Having to go through three door panel replacements and a dash replacement and catalytic converter all within the first year of a brand new vehicle. These generalization comments aren't a fair assessment of Tesla when other brands are equally crappy at times.

Yes this was shitty it happened, but I've literally never heard of anything like it before. Count this as a one off till more reports come out. Now if you want to complain about lighting issues I'm all for that. I had to have a head light replaced ( for free ) and have some condensation that comes and goes on the tail light.
There's an awful lot of "one-offs".

But my biggest issue is their consistent inability to align interior and exterior panels properly. There's something wrong with their tooling processes or the materials.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for real manufacturers to make these things, what a joke.

It's not going to happen. I think VW has a chance to gain some marketshare and deserves so credit as the only other car manufacturer really trying, but even their EVs are YEARS behind Tesla's, with the extremely expensive Porche Taycan being the best effort so far.

Otherwise, it will likely be the other startups like Rivian or Lucid who start to become pillars of the EV auto industry, when EV just eat away at total car marketshare.

The main issue is that other manufacturer are just so behind in battery tech, the only way they'll be able to compete range to price wise is if they buy Tesla batteries (if Tesla decided to actually do that) or if a non-Tesla battery breakthrough occurs in the next few years. Which is sad because I truly believe Tesla's QC will continue to be this way until they get some real competition.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Roofs blowing off and Home Depot fixes yeesh.

The jank fixes depend on their manufacturing process and tracking, honestly. I used to work at a Tier 1 supplier for Toyota and a construction equipment manufacturer (indoor/off-road person lifts, telehandlers, etc), along with a bunch of co-ops in auto manufacturing, so overall close to 6-7 years in manufacturing. If you trust that the material/fixed used has had some engineering consideration put behind it (likely), typically the cars with these fixes will be captured under a "deviation", noting that they are not built to the design spec. The VINs of these cars can then be coordinated with the a fix once one is developed. I think the Model 3 has a similar thing...some kind of strapped on weight to a suspension piece to act as vibration control which was later revised with a one piece design with the weight included in the cast.

At the construction equipment company, we would not do fixes like these on the lines I oversaw, as approval would have to have engineering approval through me. Simply put, it's better to do it right when you can make it on the production line than incur the additional costs of needing to kick the can down the road for the permanent fix while also needing to validate the quick fix, unless there is considerable overlap between the temp fix and the permanent fix. On top of that, there's all the costs associated with needing to coordinate installing the permanent fix; communications with the owners, install time, etc. At the Tier 1, if it wasn't in spec as defined by Toyota it didn't go out the door. Toyota would dock you if one did, which becomes hairy during negotiations for contracts.

I still appreciate Tesla's push for EVs and showing that they can work, along with putting sustained pressure on more established automakers. But dear lord they need improved QC on things like panels, lights, materials, paint, etc. They have to develop the quality procedures as a relatively young company. Focusing so much on reported production numbers while still needing to work out these kinks is frankly a mistake in my opinion as in manufacturing it is very difficult to go against momentum once the lines are going. Investor expectations adding more difficulties to this.

but for now, as Ford is Fix Or Repair Daily, Tesla is looking like Totally Expensive Shit Lousily Assembled.

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like they all pool their research together, though, at least not for the EV market.
And even if we were to assume that you're referring to a single manufacturer, that research is a waste when the product the research produces has far worse ranges and charging times.
And at this point, since Tesla has released all of their patents, the only thing manufacturers need to do to compete is figure out component assembly that is equal or better to a Tesla and they could manufacture a Toyota or Honda that drives like a Tesla in a much better chassis. You'll forgive me if I'm not seeing where that's happening.

I think them releasing patents amounted to nothing as they still have new battery tech coming(developed in Canada).

The other manufacturers still seem to suck on charge speed and efficiency.

I wouldn't buy a Tesla yet until they get this shit under control.
I'm seeing a shocking number of Model Ys around Toronto lately, almost as many as Model4 which I see a lot so they seem to be selling.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
It's not going to happen. I think VW has a chance to gain some marketshare and deserves so credit as the only other car manufacturer really trying, but even their EVs are YEARS behind Tesla's, with the extremely expensive Porche Taycan being the best effort so far.

Otherwise, it will likely be the other startups like Rivian or Lucid who start to become pillars of the EV auto industry, when EV just eat away at total car marketshare.

The main issue is that other manufacturer are just so behind in battery tech, the only way they'll be able to compete range to price wise is if they buy Tesla batteries (if Tesla decided to actually do that) or if a non-Tesla battery breakthrough occurs in the next few years. Which is sad because I truly believe Tesla's QC will continue to be this way until they get some real competition.
You obviously aren't following car news, otherwise you wouldn't be saying VW's best effort is the Taycan.
VW just put the ID.4 on sale in the US. The First Edition for $43,995 is sold out, which is loaded with options. Granted, it's most likely just a few thousand cars, but still.

That price is before the $7,500 federal tax credit and state incentives. Deducting those, you pay for an EV with 250 miles range (capable of fast charging at up to 125kW) for a little over $30,000. All ID.4's will also come with 3 years of free charging with Electrify America's charging network.

You can still order the Pro vesion, starting at $39,995.

vw_id4_zijaanzicht.jpg

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I have heard of bumpers falling off of brand new luxury cars (my friend bought a brand new E class and the bumper fell off on the way home) but the roof coming off must be more uncommon I would guess. Hopefully no one was hurt and that window could have killed someone if it went through their windshield.

I am looking @ buying a used 3 or S if I can get it with decent range and AWD for 35k or less but if given the choice I would definitely pick another brand over Tesla for an EV car. Their interiors and build quality are pretty shitty and for me at least that stuff is more important than the software or self driving you get with a Tesla.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Established manufactures put more money into EV research than Tesla.

Doesn't seem to have helped. QC issues aside Tesla by every other measure has the better product.

Maybe regulation will push them forward, but until then it seems like Tesla is going to stay the market leader for the foreseeable future.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
[Interviewer:] Elon Musk thank you for coming in.

[Musk:] It's a great pleasure, thank you.

[Interviewer:] This Tesla that was involved in the incident this week…

[Musk:] Yeah, the one the roof fell off?

[Interviewer:] Yeah

[Musk:] That's not very typical, I'd like to make that point.

[Interviewer:] Well, how is it untypical?

[Musk:] Well, there are a lot of these Teslas going around the world all the time, and very seldom does anything like this happen … I just don't want people thinking that Teslas aren't safe.

[Interviewer:] Was this Tesla safe?

[Musk:] Well I was thinking more about the other ones…

[Interviewer:] The ones that are safe,,,

[Musk:] Yeah,,, the ones the roof doesn't fall off.

[Interviewer:] Well, if this wasn't safe, why did the roof fall off?

[Musk:] Well, I'm not saying it wasn't safe, it's just perhaps not quite as safe as some of the other ones.

[Interviewer:] Why?

[Musk:] Well, some of them are built so the roof doesn't fall off at all.

[Interviewer:] Wasn't this built so the roof wouldn't fall off?

[Musk:] Well, obviously not.

[Interviewer:] How do you know?

[Musk:] Well, 'cause the roof fell off. It's a bit of a give-away. I would just like to make the point that that is not normal.

[Interviewer:] Well, what sort of standards are these Teslas built to?

[Musk:] Oh, very rigorous … automobile engineering standards.

[Interviewer:] What sort of things?

[Musk:] Well the roof's not supposed to fall off, for a start.

[Interviewer:] And what other things?

[Musk:] Well, there are … regulations governing the materials they can be made of

[Interviewer:] What materials?

[Musk:] Well, Cardboard's out

[Interviewer:] And?

[Musk:] …No cardboard derivatives…

[Interviewer:] Like paper?

[Musk:]. … No paper, no string, no cellotape. …

[Interviewer:] rigging parts together after a trip to Walmart?

[Musk:] No, Walmart's out, we have a minimum sourcing quality requiring them to go to Home Depot .. Um, They've got to have a steering wheel. There's a minimum Quality requirement.

[Interviewer:] What's the minimum Quality?

[Musk:] Oh,… the roof doesnt fall off at the factory, I suppose.

[Interviewer:] So, the allegations that they are just designed to be made and sold as fast possible and to hell with the consequences, I mean that's ludicrous…

[Musk:] Ludicrous, absolutely ludicrous. These are very, very strong cars

[Interviewer:] So what happened in this case?

[Musk:] Well, the roof fell off in this case by all means, but that's very unusual.

[Interviewer:] But Musk, why did the roof fall off?

[Musk:] Well, a gust hit it.

[Interviewer:] A gust hit it?

[Musk:] A strong wind hit the Tesla.

[Interviewer:] Is that unusual?

[Musk:] Oh, yeah… A gust? On the highway? …Chance in a million.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
thats rather unfortunate and unacceptable.

Can't wait for real manufacturers to make these things, what a joke.
you'll be waiting a really long time. One of Honda or toyota doesnt even believe in EV they're betting on hydrogen or whatever.
Don't understand why anyone would buy a Tesla when they're still getting basic things wrong like this. How would anyone even let something like this off the line at the factory?
because the vast majority of them don't actually have problems?

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a Model 3 owner, I'm gonna try to be as unbiased as possible and say Tesla needs to fucking tighten this shit up. This could easily have been a huge nightmare if it happened on a highway during a snowy or rainy night.

At the same time, I dont know how prevalent this is to indict the entire fleet. The cars themselves are incredible to drive. I can just never go back to ice cars after this, its a game changer. I hope these issues are permanently fixed before someone starts dying from them. Oh and Elon is a turd. Take his twitter away.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
You obviously aren't following car news, otherwise you wouldn't be saying VW's best effort is the Taycan.
VW just put the ID.4 on sale in the US. The First Edition for $43,995 is sold out, which is loaded with options. Granted, it's most likely just a few thousand cars, but still.

That price is before the $7,500 federal tax credit and state incentives. Deducting those, you pay for an EV with 250 miles range (capable of fast charging at up to 125kW) for a little over $30,000. All ID.4's will also come with 3 years of free charging with Electrify America's charging network.

You can still order the Pro vesion, starting at $39,995.

I thought the Pro is only coming out late 2021? I'm probably replacing my Outback with and ID4.Pro next year, between the subsidies and not paying for tolls it pays off.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, I would not ever put myself in a car from manufacturer known for QC issue like this. Tesla is built like a toy compared to Toyota and Honda.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
As a Model 3 owner, I'm gonna try to be as unbiased as possible and say Tesla needs to fucking tighten this shit up. This could easily have been a huge nightmare if it happened on a highway during a snowy or rainy night.

At the same time, I dont know how prevalent this is to indict the entire fleet. The cars themselves are incredible to drive. I can just never go back to ice cars after this, its a game changer. I hope these issues are permanently fixed before someone starts dying from them. Oh and Elon is a turd. Take his twitter away.

literally agree with everything here. My wife and I both have M3s and besides a very slight alignment issue on my wife's door (which they fixed for free in our driveway) the cars have been fantastic. Best car I've ever driven.
And Elon blows.

pez2k

Apr 21, 2018
you'll be waiting a really long time. One of Honda or toyota doesnt even believe in EV they're betting on hydrogen or whatever.

The Honda e is already on sale, and Toyota have the C-HR EV available with 6+ dedicated EVs announced. Not sure what you're referring to here?

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Pro is only coming out late 2021? I'm probably replacing my Outback with and ID4.Pro next year, between the subsidies and not paying for tolls it pays off.
Pro RWD Q1 2021, AWD mid 2021.

The standard trim for $39,995 before tax credit and state incentives is already packed with options.

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
The Honda e is already on sale, and Toyota have the C-HR EV available with 6+ dedicated EVs announced. Not sure what you're referring to here?
its toyota https://www.latimes.com/business/st...fuel-cell-cars-which-are-a-mystery-to-drivers
you can look and see article after article their CEO claiming Hydrogen is the future.

Also until i see any manufacturers actually putting out multiple EVs with charging networks i cant really take them seriously. the stories of dealerships handling EV doesnt install confidence that any of the other manufacturers or their dealerships give one shit about EV cars.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
you'll be waiting a really long time. One of Honda or toyota doesnt even believe in EV they're betting on hydrogen or whatever

I think all the Japanese manufacturers are betting on hydrogen. I think even Nissan has changed their tune since their last CEO escaped in a trunk.