• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Her voice acting when she and Johnny are in that cage is TERRRRRRRIBLE.

It's hilarious she's upstaged by no-name VA's. Literally every other character has a better VA.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
It was to be expected after hearing her delivery in Furious 7. She downright ruins most of the Cage family scenes.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Honestly feels like this whole thread is dedicated to just shitting on someone with little justification. She isn't distracting or any worse than the rest of the cast. You just don't like her. Feels like some thinly veiled agenda over some stupid shit she has said or done and it's not a good look for any of you.
You are entitled to that opinion, and I do believe that there might be folks here who are doing exactly that, but when I first posted, I can assure you that it was solely based on how I cringed every single time Sonya opened her mouth, and I'm sure most folks joined in for the same reason.

Hell, before this thread I only knew her career as a fighter and I was actually kind of entertained at the idea of her voicing Sonya when they announced it, in a "good for her, she's going places!" kind of way. Turns out she's a bit of a shitty person as well... and while that's certainly a shame, it doesn't change the fact that they stuck a complete amateur doing voice work on a huge, high profile release like MK11.

If she voiced some random character as a cameo for 5 seconds I would be fine with it, but this is goddamn Sonya Blade! You're stuck with her terrific performance every time you play with or against her l, and that's just no good.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually argue that whatever the fuck is going on with Noob Saibots voice is a lot worse than Rousey.
Noob's is definitely bad but not so much because of the acting as much as it is that they have him doing a goofy, overly cartoony, evil guy voice. I don't know what they were thinking going that direction since his voice in 9 was perfectly suitable and sounds a lot better.

Honestly feels like this whole thread is dedicated to just shitting on someone with little justification. She isn't distracting or any worse than the rest of the cast. You just don't like her. Feels like some thinly veiled agenda over some stupid shit she has said or done and it's not a good look for any of you.
Or maybe it's just because it's pretty bad even compared to some of the weaker voice talent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like...listen to this. Sounds like she's reading a passage out of a book in front of the class for the first time.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Oh so it was her?
I kept wondering who Sonya's voice actor is as I didn't remember her being so bad in the previous games. Her voice acting really stood out like a sore thumb.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I have to admit, through the first few chapters she hasn't stood out as particularly awful for me. Not saying she is going to win any rewards, but I'm not even sure I'd put her as the worst of the voice cast so far.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Man...

I've been watching Ronda in WWE since she joined last year and I gotta say her performance in this game is somehow worse than her promos at times. Like, fuck, this is horrible.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Her voice acting when she and Johnny are in that cage is TERRRRRRRIBLE.

It's hilarious she's upstaged by no-name VA's. Literally every other character has a better VA.

A martial artist/sports entertainer is usually upstaged by actual actors in acting. That's not surprising. :P

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe people should stop paying for famous actors (and she's a terrible actress to boot) that can't voice act just because they're famous?

Oct 28, 2017
Ronda Rousey has the unique ability that my brain actually completely shut off when listening to Sonya's lines. Did she pay to be in Mortal Kombat? Because if NetherRealm paid for her ass then they should ask for a refund.

What's worse? Ronda Rousey's performance in this game, or Quest 64's performance as a game?

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Excusing bigoted and conspiratorial rhetoric
I don't care about her politics as she's allowed to have opinions I disagree with *gasp*

That being said her voice acting is so awful Sonya deserves better

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about her politics as she's allowed to have opinions I disagree with *gasp*

That being said her voice acting is so awful Sonya deserves better
Those where not opinions a person,I cant believe I am still seeing this.

Some people think there a side to everything when thats not true at all sometimes you just a terrible person.

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my unveiled agenda: Ronda Rousey is a transphobic sack of shit.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
I could take her or leave her. I was more upset by the fact that her voice just sounds lower and less quality than everyone else for some reason. Odd choice

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Ronda Rousey has the unique ability that my brain actually completely shut off when listening to Sonya's lines. Did she pay to be in Mortal Kombat? Because if NetherRealm paid for her ass then they should ask for a refund.

What's worse? Ronda Rousey's performance in this game, or Quest 64's performance as a game?

I'm assuming some dumb exec at WB wanted a celebrity VA & pushed for someone involved with combat sports. To someone in advertising who has nothing to do with the end project & little regard for quality, Rousey attempting to get into acting probably made her seem like a smart get at some brief window during the game's pre-production.

But yeah. They should get a refund. And maybe give it to the voice actors who got paid a fraction of what she got for a significantly better performance.

Had this been posted yet?

She should've left her stupid comments in her pocket.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
She snatched Keifer's crown for the worst performance of a beloved character in recent memory.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I thought she was ok, then she had some longer lines and... it just felt off. Particularly when shes surrounded by other characters with so much personality. Like when she was talking to Cassie in the opening it was a notable gap in the performances.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't care about her political beliefs, that's irrelevant to video games

but she's flat-out a bad voice actress and bad actress

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, she isn't a professional voice actress she's someone to slap on the box to get sales.
Also see: Kiefer in MGSV

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Having finished the game now I can say her voice acting is definitely the worst of the cast. But she's also not so terrible that it distracts from the scenes happening on screen. Those first few scenes are a bit rough but as the game moves on she gets more into the role and it comes off a lot more natural. I'd actually argue that whatever the fuck is going on with Noob Saibots voice is a lot worse than Rousey.

Hard disagree. Rousey stands out like a wooden sore thumb among all the professional voice actors. It's jarring every time she speaks.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Had this been posted yet?

1HwE.gif

IceOrb

Oct 30, 2017
Noob's is definitely bad but not so much because of the acting as much as it is that they have him doing a goofy, overly cartoony, evil guy voice. I don't know what they were thinking going that direction since his voice in 9 was perfectly suitable and sounds a lot better.

It honestly sounds like a poor impression of Frank Welker doing the voice of Dr. Claw.

Hard disagree. Rousey stands out like a wooden sore thumb among all the professional voice actors. It's jarring every time she speaks.

Didn't say she didn't stand out. As I said she is obviously the worst actor in the room here, just that I don't find her to be so offensive that its distracting me from every scene she's in.

Last edited: