• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Rousey was a good pick if they wanted to follow up how horrible of a person and trash Sonya was in X. They seem like they wanna do everything in their power to make her unlikeable.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Did Rousey do her own mocap

Did their choreographers have to correct her boxing???

4KfEXPZ.gif

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
It's almost as if replacing an amazing voice actress like Tricia Helfer with a celebrity who has no acting skills whatsoever was always a bad idea.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost as if replacing an amazing voice actress like Tricia Helfer with a celebrity who has no acting skills whatsoever was always a bad idea.

Does make me wonder if this was a NRS decision or something forced on them by WB execs. For such a relatively high profile "get" as Rousey is, they don't seem to be highlighting her involvement in the marketing as much as you'd think, as if they know its horrible.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a videogame about people ripping each other's spines out.
From a company with an emphasis on lore and story that has, quite incredibly, explored gender identity, PTSD, and psychological trauma in incredibly insightful and respectful ways.

Kung Jin struggling with acceptance and his sexuality in MKX is NOT what you expect in a game about "ripping each other's spines out", or for them to do a game like Injustice 2 exploring the psychological trauma and recovery of Harley Quinn from the Joker's abuse.

They're games, sure, but they've been quite progressive.

Which is why her casting - regardless of her "talent" in a VA role - was so problematic, given her views.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
So she's a terrible person and terrible actor? Poor Sonya didn't deserve this.

Jul 24, 2018
I mean, Sonya already had a voice actor right? When they made this announcement I felt bummed for that person, to be replaced by some celebrity who has shown themselves to be a shit-tier actor, and as far as I know isn't really that relevant anymore; I'd imagine that's a pretty shitty feel.
Tricia Helfer is a pretty notable celebrity too.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Yall should have seen her each week on Raw. It was just as bad. Imagine going week by week hearing a Ronda promo.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
While I do not think being a despicable human being makes you an awful professional in your field (unless you are a doctor or a religious figure, I guess), she didn't really look like a proficient actress, less so doing VA. But hey, maybe WWE fans are a sizable collective!

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
WB doing weird things to ruin good things. Pray for Rocksteady and the Harry Potter RPG.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
At first I didn't think it was that bad, but then I heard Cassie start talking and she's just soooo much better. It really sticks out next to the actual good voice actors.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Does make me wonder if this was a NRS decision or something forced on them by WB execs. For such a relatively high profile "get" as Rousey is, they don't seem to be highlighting her involvement in the marketing as much as you'd think, as if they know its horrible.
Yep, they dropped her like a rock after the initial reveal period when it came to marketing. They certainly haven't gotten their money's worth for paying to have such an "illustrious" name in their game.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's a videogame about people ripping each other's spines out.
Okay. It's also a game with a large cast and an elaborate story mode that, for a lot of people, is the appeal of these games if they don't intend on playing the game online or otherwise competitively. Sonya had a perfectly fine voice actress associated with her that didn't require a replacement, let alone one who is a) a demonstrably worse performer, and b) a conspiracy-theorizing bigot.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I actually completely forgot she was even in the game because they've barely marketed her. I just don't get their angle here, why get a C-tier celebrity role if you're not even gonna do the bare minimum to advertise them at all?

Just feels like they knew they made a mistake a bit too late lol.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
It's a weird decision to have Ronda Rousey voice Sonya Blade. If Netherrealm wanted to user her likeness in the game, sure, she has to voice that character.
But they didn't, so why have her voice Sonya Blade? It's not like Rousey is known to be a great voice actor. They could've hired a professional voice actor, who will do a better job and probably for cheaper too.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I actually completely forgot she was even in the game because they've barely marketed her. I just don't get their angle here, why get a C-tier celebrity role if you're not even gonna do the bare minimum to advertise them at all?

I thought it was because they were going to do a bunch of cross-promotion stuff with WWE. But that doesn't seem to be the case. SO I don't really understand they'd go for her. If they wanted a celebrity then go for Cynthia Rothrock since she was the original inspiration for Sonya.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea she was involved in this game. That made me lose interest in this game completely lol what the hell were they thinking

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Truly baffling. Like, they didn't even mention her after the reveal.
What was the point of this? I doubt anyone cares she's involved.

Also, did that scene contain spoilers? Feels like it did.

Oct 27, 2017
From a company with an emphasis on lore and story that has, quite incredibly, explored gender identity, PTSD, and psychological trauma in incredibly insightful and respectful ways.

Kung Jin struggling with acceptance and his sexuality in MKX is NOT what you expect in a game about "ripping each other's spines out", or for them to do a game like Injustice 2 exploring the psychological trauma and recovery of Harley Quinn from the Joker's abuse.

They're games, sure, but they've been quite progressive.

Which is why her casting - regardless of her "talent" in a VA role - was so problematic, given her views.

That's...kind of a different issue. The hypocrisy considering the subject matter (minus the spine ripping) is one thing. Personally, I feel MK is known far more for hammy, cheesy overracting.

Thank you for reminding everyone what Mortal Kombat is. This was a very helpful post.
Sometimes perspective is necessary. It's a spine ripping game. I think you or other fans of the game can deal with one bad celebrity performance from a game series with a reputation of being hammy.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017

I guess some time after the reveal that Rousey was Sonya, somebody internally went "oh shit, everyone knows she's garbage, what do we do?"

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Weakest part of the voices. I didn't mind her in the Story Mode but her Tower ending was godawful.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Wow... Turns out she's a terrible person too? My post was just about her voice acting, but knowing that stuff just leaves me scratching my head even harder on the reasons for her inclusion. Selling the game to WWE fans maybe?

But going back to her "performance", the other thing that really stuck out to me was that the sound mix sounded a bit off compared to the rest of the cast... It almost feels like they've recorded her voice in a different sound room and/or different sound equipment.

It's could be that the team only had access to her for a very short time and had to rush a recording session while they had the chance. All of this is guess-work on my part, but I can't help to wonder about it.

Last edited:

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Even if she wasn't a terrible person, her acting, from movies to wrestling, has always been godawful.

Such an awful choice, and one I think they realized too late.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I guess some time after the reveal that Rousey was Sonya, somebody internally went "oh shit, everyone knows she's garbage, what do we do?"
Don't want to speculate too much, but I know I wrote WBGames to express my disappointment in the casting and articulated precisely why in a respectful and concise manner.

I noticed the promotions with her pretty much dried up soon afterwards, so I image there was more backlash, internally it may have been clear she wasn't the best choice (they've barely even shown her speaking in the trailers), and it may have been a "too little, too late" moment to recast with her.

As I told them in my email, I don't expect them to recast her this game, but I do expect them to do better in the future.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So she's trashy IRL but she also sucks at her job? Lol.

Why the fuck did they hire her? I have zero idea what she brings to the table.

Is she really some household name? Do people buy MK for Ronda?

All I remember her for is that one clip of her getting KOed so hard she quit.

I just feel bad for the VA who played Sonya before.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah fuck this game. Was thinking it would be cool to play a new MK especially with Switch support but I'm not giving her a damn cent. Same reasons I didn't buy DQXI. I know if you go down the chain in any large company you're going to have contributors who are dirtbags but when someone is at the level of featured voice actor or even co-creator they're making a significant cut of the money and I don't want anything to do with it.

Guess I'll just have to hope they don't put Alex Jones in Injustice 3.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Sometimes perspective is necessary. It's a spine ripping game. I think you or other fans of the game can deal with one bad celebrity performance from a game series with a reputation of being hammy.

Nope. If they make the decision to hire a celebrity to voice their character and make a big deal out of it, they open themselves to rightful criticism.

It isn't "hammy." It's bad.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
So she's trashy IRL but she also sucks at her job? Lol.

Why the fuck did they hire her? I have zero idea what she brings to the table.

Is she really some household name? Do people buy MK for Ronda?

All I remember her for is that one clip of her getting KOed so hard she quit.

I just feel bad for the VA who played Sonya before.

Wonder if at the time they cast her they thought she'd be a bigger deal by now because of Wrestlemania, but she ended up not even getting the rub there. The plan seemed to have always been for her to be the biggest star of the WWE's women's division but it hasn't really panned out, mostly because she's terrible actress there too.