• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew it would be bad when the original announcement video of her joining the voice cast DIDN'T FEATURE HER TALKING AT ALL.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it was obvious she'd be terrible from the trailers.

It's disappointing that a studio as surprisingly progressive and inclusive as NRS would hire a transphobic, physically abusive Sandy Hook truther.
This feels more like a WB decision than a NRS decision.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either -- I felt like the tone/attitude fit for Sonya, but yeah, some of the delivery was bad. But it's Mortal Kombat, I wasn't expecting Shakespeare. It hurt that Cassie's voice actress was a lot better. Made it more noticeable.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
She has the personality of a block of wood. This is not at all surprising. Even when she tried to cut promos or act tough during her UFC career it came off poorly. Never understood then this idea that she was going to become a crossover media star.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I don't understand who thought this was a good idea, like this was the reason people were going to fall over each other to buy the game.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
She should have stopped reading her lines halfway through the recording session and passionately told the characters in game "all this shit is fake. it's scripted"

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's not as bad as The folks in this topic were making it out to be. I think a lot of people just hate her too which leads to even more distain. That said, she isn't doing anything remarkable either.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup, this was expected after seeing the first trailers and bits of gameplay with her talking. Way to shit on your own game Netherealm.

Tricia Helfer did not need to be replaced. She was perfect in MKX.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
Something off with the mixing/environmental noise in that cutscene? You can just imagine her in the sound booth reading those lines

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
It really is unfortunate. It's one of the few aspects of the game that has me on the edge about buying it or not. I don't think it ultimately is enough for me personally to pass on the game entirely on a matter of principal, but it is primarily what has kept me from impulse buying the game so far.

I'm out of the loop, she do something dodgy?

Multiple transphobic remarks and retweeting Sandy Hook truther tweets.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Should have put her in Street Fighter.

fUloVaL-Imgur.gif

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
About as good as MKX Sonya then.

But yeah, Ronda sucks in everything tbh

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Yeah... Every single time Sonya opened her mouth in the story mode, it just made me wish there was paid DLC to replace her voice with literally anything else. She wasn't even in the "so bad it's good" category, she was just plain terribawful... Which is quite the achievement, considering the amount of cheese that goes on with MK banter.

This seems like a replay of the Peter Dinklage situation in Destiny, but at least he had some strong acting credentials to support why he was chosen. Not so much with Rousey.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
is that lip sync off or just really bad

I think its because she's delivering her lines in such a monotone fashion that it doesn't match the facial expressions and creates this weird uncanny valley. I don't even get what her brand attachment even adds to the game, especially if its just her voice. Would be nice if eventually they patched that shit out Destiny style.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If Netherrealm/WB so desperately wanted some "celebrity" couldn't they at least have gotten someone that could act.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Not as bad as I expected, but still pretty damn bad.

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to put this Sandy Hook truther in the game.

Mesoian

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 28, 2017
If Netherrealm/WB so desperately wanted some "celebrity" couldn't they at least have gotten someone that could act.

They should have just leaned more heavily on the fact that Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa is Shang Tsung. That move carries infinitely more weight than Rousey being attached.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know more details about her being in the game. Was this something forced onto NetherRealm by WB? I really wanted NR to speak out against this, but I suppose they're not allowed to and there's the fear that they wouldn't cause they don't think it's a problem. I kept hoping that by the games release they would've realized the fuckup of putting a transphobic Sandy Hook truther in their game and had another actress take her place in a day-1 patch, but alas...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Should have gotten Cynthia Rothrock would have been cheaper and cooler

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
"I understand that Liu Kang and Kitana are grave threats to Earthrealm, Raiden, but have you considered that Sandy Hook was a hoax, and those parents are crisis actors?"

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could have stopped at Ronda Rousey in MK 11 is not good. But also yes. Its bad and her involvement ruins Sonya at every level. Its a real shame and the only real beef I have with the game.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really is unfortunate. It's one of the few aspects of the game that has me on the edge about buying it or not. I don't think it ultimately is enough for me personally to pass on the game entirely on a matter of principal, but it is primarily what has kept me from impulse buying the game so far.

I'm in the same boat. It's hard to play a game when one of the main voice actor hates you 😒