• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't kept up with all the controversy surrounding Ronda but I was already disappointed because she's a craptastical actor.
I'm also sad that Patrick Seitz was replaced as Scorpion. But if the rumors are true that Kevin Conroy will be the new voice of Scorpion, I wouldn't be 100% opposed to the change since I like Kevin Conroy as an actor.

Wait.. What? Where's these rumours? It's gonna be real hard not just hearing Batman when he speaks.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I never knew any of this stuff about her and I doubt the average consumer does either.

I'm not even a avarage consumer and I woudn't even know she was in it if it wasn't pointed out today. I woudn't have recocnized her. It's such a weird pick, she isn't a great actor so why is she getting all these voice and acting gigs?

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
When I heard the rumor about the Rousey thing I thought they were going to go all out... Have her do extensive mo-cap for Sonya, carefully model her face and physique and fighting style, etc. Really make it "Ronda Rousey as Sonya Blade!" But only a voice? If this was never promoted, who would even realize it was her? Just seems like a strange move and the average person would just think "Wow whoever voiced Sonya did a shit job."

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She has a different opinion that you, and she is free to feel how she wants, that's the beauty of freedom, if you give someone the power to make you feel less about yourself well then that is on you, be the better person in the situation no matter her beliefs. You don't like her being used in the game then don't support the game.

I don't know much about the woman but I see a lot of people hating on her because they say she is ugly or they hate her voice, etc etc, I think it's quite petty. This is the first I see where this is not the case though.

Sonya looks and sounds the best she ever has and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the character.
Fuck her beliefs and fuck your centrist bullshit. She said Sandy Hook was fake for fucksake, Sandy Hook that had tons of dead kids.

She shouldn't be in the game and she shouldn't be Sonya because she is a horrible person.

Kaxi

Oct 30, 2017
Poland
User Banned (2 weeks): Excusing transphobic rhetoric
Her words you quoted doesn't sound transphobic at all.

Trans-atheletes is a very controversial topic without any status quo reached, since your identity has little to do with your physique.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Does she genuinely believe that Sandy Hook conspiracy theory? Has anyone ever brought it up to her since 2013? I googled this and the last thing I saw concerning this was a lame Twitter apology from her on Jan. 13 from that year. Considering that she found that horrendous video a "must watch," I'd think more of the media would want to grill her for elaborating on what she meant and that if she actually believes what the video peddled.

Nov 12, 2017
Not to denigrate your point, but...

I find it funny that people are expecting Mortal Kombat to be politically correct, of all series.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I find it funny that people are expecting Mortal Kombat to be politically correct, of all series.
The series has put tons of effort into turning into one.

Last game had:

-A gay character that was naturally revealed to be gay and they didn't make a big deal out of it because it is normal to be gay.
-Female characters got much better outfits that aren't as sexualized as they used to be.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I understand what she means with the transformers issue. You can change sex, but the physique (the biology) still remains that gender. And men are stronger physically. So I understand that it can be a discussion point in the competitive sports sector.

Trantorian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's still pretty irresponsible of Rousey to be spouting that opinion. At best, she's uneducated and talking out of her butt about something she clearly doesn't understand (even though she continuously claims she's "done her research").

She's established a pattern of behavior - 1. say something controversial/objectively wrong, 2. apologize for offending people but don't actually apologize for being objectively wrong, 3. rinse and repeat.

On top of this, she's a terrible actress and voice actress.

Either she says something controversial or something objetively wrong; cant do both at the same time.
That's why I dont get your second point: why would she need to apologize for saying something controversial?
Also: she's a pro so she has probably fighted a lot of times and knows women body inside out. Her concerns are pretty much real imho.
PS: i dont know her and this thread is the first time i heard about this fighter. Other things she might have said in the past are unknown to me.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
People who take constant blows to the head not very smart or socially open minded you say?

Yeah, honestly I didn't know anything really about her before this thread and what I have learned is a good enough reason not to learn anything more.

I understand what she means with the transformers issue. You can change sex, but the physique (the biology) still remains that gender. And men are stronger physically. So I understand that it can be a discussion point in the competitive sports sector.

Maybe short term, but after even just a couple years the difference shrinks pretty harshly (aside from things like height which are a done-deal so to speak) when it comes to things like muscle mass.

Oct 27, 2017
Either she says something controversial or something objetively wrong; cant do both at the same time.
That's why I dont get your second point: why would she need to apologize for saying something controversial?
Also: she's a pro so she has probably fighted a lot of times and knows women body inside out. Her concerns are pretty much real imho.
PS: i dont know her and this thread is the first time i heard about this fighter. Other things she might have said in the past are unknown to me.

1. The OP of the thread lists the problematic stuff she's said. Maybe read that and then come back?

2. A statement can absolutely be considered controversial AND objectively wrong. Those are not mutually exclusive concepts. Example: "I think the earth is flat."

Trantorian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Duration Pending) Rationalising Transphobia
1. The OP of the thread lists the problematic stuff she's said. Maybe read that and then come back?

2. A statement can absolutely be considered controversial AND objectively wrong. Those are not mutually exclusive concepts. Example: "I think the earth is flat."

I already read it when I first entered the thread.
It seems completely logical to me the issues she has exposed about fighting a trans fighter, and UFC will probably need to adapt the rules or do something about it.
Why do I feel "problematic" is being used in a peyorative way to discredit her when she just expressed legit concern?
Also: she's a probably who has probably fight countless times against other women. I presume she knows way more than any of us in this thread.

Oct 27, 2017
I already read it when I first entered the thread.
It seems completely logical to me the issues she has exposed about fighting a trans fighter, and UFC will probably need to adapt the rules or do something about it.
Why do I feel "problematic" is being used in a peyorative way to discredit her when she just expressed legit concern?
Also: she's a probably who has probably fight countless times against other women. I presume she knows way more than any of us in this thread.

I haven't used the word "problematic"? Edit: I totally did.

The transgender fighter Rousey is talking about has fought and lost to other female fighters. None of them seemed to have an issue with it.

I think I'll trust science and researchers before I trust someone who believes Sandy Hook was a hoax, but you do you.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Its quite weird to see them do this, I mean: You can see NRS is trying to being more mature since MKX , they are dropping the oversexualized designs, bigger variety in their roster (Asian characters looking like actual asians, also I love Geras style)... And then, Ronda.

If I have to guess, they didn't do the research, and now, it can bite them in their arse.
99% of MK fans don't know or don't care about Ronda's tweets. It's not gonna affect the game whatsoever.

Oct 27, 2017
SuzanoSho

That's clearly a crisis actor posting as me.

I thought he was talking about a previous post where I had used "problematic". I completely forgot I had used it just a few minutes ago. Seems my short term memory is problematic.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ironic that people still use "politically correct" when the people that are in power promote conspiracies like this. In several parts of the us they would be politically incorrect for leaving her out.

JordanKZ

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): excusing conspiratorial rhetoric and transphobia
She has a different opinion that you, and she is free to feel how she wants, that's the beauty of freedom, if you give someone the power to make you feel less about yourself well then that is on you, be the better person in the situation no matter her beliefs. You don't like her being used in the game then don't support the game.

I don't know much about the woman but I see a lot of people hating on her because they say she is ugly or they hate her voice, etc etc, I think it's quite petty. This is the first I see where this is not the case though.

Sonya looks and sounds the best she ever has and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the character.

Sorry, this is ResetEra. You're not allowed such balanced opinions on matters. This is exactly the reason why I don't comment on these threads.

Do I agree with any of the things she's said? No. But is it okay to publicly rip the shit out out someone on an internet forum? No.

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming is absolutely full with shit people, especially when it comes to loudness and speaking with their walllet bullshit.

Like, no one gives a shit about this bigoted trash being on the game, but try being a little bit more progressive a lá DICE and be ready for a freaking backlash shitstorm because of could you

I wouldn't be surprised if they got into more trouble for removing that scumbag than for keeping her, honestly.

The fucking internet is a mess

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You should think a little harder about the words you're typing before you hit the Post button, chief.

As a trans person, the transphobic comments don't even offend me as much as Sandy Hook truther shit. That's a bunch of murdered children. Promoting that kind of shit should make her 100% unemployable and it's sad (if not entirely shocking) that it doesn't.

Sorry, this is ResetEra. You're not allowed such balanced opinions on matters. This is exactly the reason why I don't comment on these threads.

Do I agree with any of the things she's said? No. But is it okay to publicly rip the shit out out someone on an internet forum? No.

So let me get this straight: she's entitled to say whatever she wants, no matter how damaging or harmful, but we're NOT allowed to criticize her on the internet?

Some of you people...

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

She publically rip the shit out of the dead kids at Sandy hook.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
90% of people don't know or care what athletes believe or do if it they don't do it during a game. That's just how it is and how it'll always be. Hell, it's not just atheletes, it's celebrities in general.

As an aside, can we start using some synonyms for "problematic" please?

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland

Trans-atheletes is a very controversial topic without any status quo reached, since your identity has little to do with your physique.
This.

This is still something to be debated about in the sporting world. It's something never as black and white as just labelling it as "transphobic".

There is a bit more to it than that.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we'll get a Premiere skin for Sonya that reskins her as Cassie Cage, or something. I loved playing as Sonya in MKX, but this is going to guarantee I never even consider it. Rousey is a gross-ass person and I'm extremely disappointing in NRS for even considering her for the role, much less actually going forward with it and using her in marketing. That's particularly awful.

Oct 27, 2017

wtf%20%282%29.gif

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What the fuck is this shit? Being transphobic is not an opinion, it's an act of hate. And denying the families of a shooting that destroyed countless families and communities that their tragedy was real is not an opinion either.

There's awful shit you can always dress as opinion, but this is not it so fuck off with this I don't know much about this person but let's meet in the middle both sides bullshit

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Is what she said really transphobic, though?

A straight person not wanting to have sex with a gay person is not a homophobe.

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing transphobic rhetoric, tried to circumvent ban with an alt account

Came here to say this. I don't like her but I absolutely agree with her on this. And yeah, I also think adding her to a MK game is stupid.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
you really think MKXI is going to reference Sandy Hook

really

Hey now, remember this was a thing. Surely a Sandy Hook reference wouldn't be too far off :p

j2e-williamshatner.png

This is from a fan translation.

Anyway, haven't been keeping up with MK. I thought maybe they just modeled Sonya off of her for the new game. Honestly had no idea she was that far gone either.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I think for a lot of people this is a washed up fighter in a washed up game series. And I would prefer to watch that Kurt Russell movie than indulge in a modern MK game with its ugly colour palette and character designs and its fetishisation of outrageous gore.
Lol "Washed up" MKX was one of the highest selling games of 2015.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know she didn't say that...
I already posted my opinion on the previous page.

Just saying that people are using the "phobic"-term way too freely nowadays.
It doesn't sound like you did.

A trans person would be at a significant disadvantage due to the hormone treatment. It is not the same thing as "having sex".
Let's also forget that Ronda has been pushing to fight Mayweather...

It is clear what she was attempting to do.

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
It doesn't sound like you did.

A trans person would be at a significant disadvantage due to the hormone treatment. It is not the same thing as "having sex".
Let's also forget that Ronda has been pushing to fight Mayweather...

It is clear what she was attempting to do.

You cant seriously think she's serious about fighting mayweather

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Serious or not, she said it and was pushing for it.

She wouldn't last a second in the ring with him so why did she do the opposite when it came to a trans woman?
Because there is a huge difference between boxing and MMA. She actually thought her boxing skills were that good. There is no set testing yet for the UFC on how to handle Trans Athletes. Unlike the Olympics. So you can see why she would not be okay.