• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Overrated? Care to explain how?
Yeah, no matter what, you can't call Messi overrated. I mean dude has been dynamo for almost two decades already. Not many players can do what he does at his age. Only reason why Messi isn't one of my favorites is because he has always played in same team and league. I would have loved to see him play at Premier league. But you can't be overrated if you are at the top or near the top for more then decade.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Great player. I'm still gonna go with Messi. But personal favorite will always be Ronaldinho. Him and Ronaldo did some amazing things wearing that Brazil jersey <3

ZuSAA7n.gif

Ronaldinho - Football's Greatest Entertainment

edit. let's make it less gif heavy.

A man of culture.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
That is 100% correct.
Haven't seen anything like his raw talent and power. Although some come close.
Shame injuries ruined his career way too early.

Messi
Pele
Ronaldo
Cristiano
Zidane
Ronaldinho

In that order.
Where the fuck is Maradona? It makes your list look completely ridiculous.

Last edited:

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
His nickname of "El Fenomeno" is so accurate. It was like watching a created player with speed, strength, shot accuracy, dribbling all at 99.

My favourite player of all time.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Him destroying United at Old Trafford is one of my earliest football memories, he was on a different planet.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I remember hearing an interview where someone said that the then president of Barça would constantly scold Ronaldo. Why? Because he didn't dive. Not even when he was aggresively tacked, he always tried to keep going.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Ronaldo was incredible but Zidane is the best I have ever seen. His touch, awareness and intelligence has been unmatched since. He made everything seem completely effortless. I suspect people older than me may say Maradona may rival him but that is before my time.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt say he was the worlds best at 17 (he was in the Brazil team that WON the world cup in 94 when he was 17 but he didnt play at all, Romario was much better then) but yes, he was incredible. I have him a notch below Zidane but I do love me some Ronaldo, extremely smart player

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
But that's the wrong Ronaldo
No, Brazilian Ronaldo is the real Ronaldo.
My favourite ever footballer.

He had skill for days, but my absolute favourite thing about Ronaldo was when he didn't bother with them. When he'd just blast through defenders with raw speed and power and nobody could do anything about it.

He had all the speed and natural ability you associate with a modern wide player with the build and stature of a classic, old school centre forward. He was as perfect a player for his position as the games ever seen in my opinion.
Yeah, he really was incredible in his prime. Such a shame that injuries hit him so badly because he was utterly phenomenal. Strong, lightning fast, incredibly skilful and with close control and acceleration that made it seem like he was playing against kids at times. One of the greatest of all time.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Thread title had me scared for a second.
He's no Maradona but i'll allow all the praise towards him.
Fenomeno.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Messi is better. The other Ronaldo is also. But the phenomenon is up there among the demigods.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
What are you saying actually, where is Zidane in your estimation? Have you seen him play?

Zidane is one the best footballers in history, there is no doubt in that. It's just that particular gif posted wasn't anything special. Actual skill moves and what not, I don't think there's a player more incredible at those feats than Ronaldinho.

On a side not, how do we quantify who is the "best" footballer? Are great defenders automatically counted out due to people's obsession with measuring greatness by goals scored? It makes sense to me to have a "best" at a specific position than a best footballer ever title that is objectively wrong.

IMO this is just nostalgia. Today's players are much better, and Neymar is better.

source.gif

At diving maybe.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
Wholeheartedly agree, Ronaldo is the most talented footballer to touch the ball. He was perhaps the second most skillful player ever (behind Ronaldinho), combined with power, speed.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Glad that this is about the original Ronaldo.
He was the most complete player ever, he had the pace, skill, finesse, mad dribbling ability, accuracy, power, finishing, positioning, game sense, a fair amount of ambidexterity.

The only thing he didn't have was fitness. But still a GOAT.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
IMO this is just nostalgia. Today's players are much better, and Neymar is better.
No. Objectively no. A prime Ronaldo would still wreck shit and be utterly terrifying. The best thing about him was that he didn't dive, he didn't need to. He was bullish. Very strong.

Zidane is one the best footballers in history, there is no doubt in that. It's just that particular gif posted wasn't anything special. Actual skill moves and what not, I don't think there's a player more incredible at those feats than Ronaldinho.
Ok, so we agree. You weren't coming off clear. If it's the 360 gif, I agree, but that's the most widely available clip that comes up. If it's the clip I posted....ie, the one touch incredible Champions League goal, then I disagree. It's one of the best goals of all time. For a big guy, he had incredible close control, very good dribbling skills. But I think Ronaldinho or Ronaldo were better, and Ronaldo had a much faster blast of speed. But no one scooped up balls from the air like Zidane...you have to almost gasp at some of his touches and how he scooped the balls out of the air and bamboozled defenders within his first touch. He was one of the best ever in doing that.

As for best footballers...yeah, it's difficult and defensive players always get forgotten because that's not the exciting part of the game. It's just the way it it.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I loved the series Nike did for the 2006 WC called Joga TV and this one always make me tear a little bit

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Massive shame that he sorta became a laughing stock towards the end. It's cool to recognise him now but in the early 2010s he got shit on constantly for his weight.

Absolutely nowhere near Messi tho

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's great. How many times did you watch him play? Great to see a old school fan from the 60s here.

I wasn't born when Pele or Maradona were in their pomp, so not going to call them the greatest for me. Even if other people insist they are because I didn't get to watch them.
i watched matches, documentaries and videos of him

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, he was one of those players that was "dangerous", every time he had the ball you though he might score. Amazing player.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maradona, messi, ronaldinho, rivaldo, zidane, romario etc were more talented technically

Also, ronaldo's prime lasted one year when he was at barcelona, after that he got his knees broke in serie A and never was the same

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
The most amazing thing about Ronaldo is he pulled these things off in a period where you could hack at someone's feet, pull shirts, two foot tackle someone and get away with it.

OP
OP
Astandahl

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
maradona, messi, ronaldinho, rivaldo, zidane, romario etc were more talented technically

Also, ronaldo's prime lasted one year when he was at barcelona, after that he got his knees broke in serie A and never was the same
Ronaldo technique is insane. Rivaldo Zidane and Dinho played at half of his speed.
Also first year at Inter was amazing. He was doing everything for the team : striker, NR 10 , attacking wing ( left and right )...

It's funny that people always said that Messi is way better. He had a better career for sure but if you ask players that played with both of them you'll see that many think Ronnie was better ( ie Seedorf Cannavaro Nesta etc )

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
In his prime, in he was an obscenely good player, almost unfairly good. Ridiculous dribbling skills paired with explosive pace. And then, even post his injuries he was still one of the best strikers in the world.
If he had not had such savage injuriy problems, there wouldnt be any discussion here.

WE have not even mentioned rivaldo yet, to think brazil had ronaldo, rivaldo, ronaldinho (and adriano) all at the same time makes putting up with a joker like neymar all the more galling. The talent for brazil at the moment is not remotely in the same league.

Kos Luftar

Oct 27, 2017
This forum needed this thread in order to remember one of the greatest talent in sport history that many people seem to forget these days. Almost every player he played with or against Ronnie consider him the best ever ( Nesta , Seedorf , Zidane , Owen, Eto'o, Drogba, Desailly, Buffon, Cannavaro and many more ).
listing the players in that order made me think of this song!

When anyone hears the name Ronaldo, this is the guy they should think of.
My favourite player.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
Imagine thinking that Neymar or C Ronaldo is in the same discussion as OG Ronaldo. Ronaldo had a relatively short prime but his prime blows almost everyone's out of the water. I'll allow Messi (honestly can't say for older footballers as I'm only in my thirties), but gtfo with those two, man. For pure talent Ronaldo was basically a cheat code.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking that Neymar or C Ronaldo is in the same discussion as OG Ronaldo. Ronaldo had a relatively short prime but his prime blows almost everyone's out of the water. I'll allow Messi (honestly can't say for older footballers as I'm only in my thirties), but gtfo with those two, man. For pure talent Ronaldo was basically a cheat code.

Messi and CR7 have longevity on their side and absurd stats. So they will always be in conversation. I don't remember much of Maradona's years at Napoli but what he did with them was the stuff of legends. As far as I am concerned there was no one else like OG Ronaldo.

Oct 27, 2017
Ronaldinho doesn't have the injury excuses like Ronaldo.

He had the golden years between 2003 and 2006. But Rjikaard couldn't control him after that and Pep just kicked him out as soon as he arrived. He let himself go and was too busy partying.The guy was a shadow of himself when he was at Milan. If he had the work ethic of Cristiano he would have been the greatest. Also his dodgy politics choices makes me sour on him.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Messi and CR7 have longevity on their side and absurd stats. So they will always be in conversation. I don't remember much of Maradona's years at Napoli but what he did with them was the stuff of legends. As far as I am concerned there was no one else like OG Ronaldo.
There's a documentary about Maradona on HBO, came out a few months ago. Very interesting. To see Italy turned on him after a World Cup game. Well worth a watch.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ronaldo technique is insane. Rivaldo Zidane and Dinho played at half of his speed.
Also first year at Inter was amazing. He was doing everything for the team : striker, NR 10 , attacking wing ( left and right )...

It's funny that people always said that Messi is way better. He had a better career for sure but if you ask players that played with both of them you'll see that many think Ronnie was better ( ie Seedorf Cannavaro Nesta etc )

what ronnie? as a long time football spectator and student of the game to me messi is the goat and its not particularly close. He makes stuff week in and week out that would be the highlight of most footballers career.

Now, r9 season at barcelona and in his first year at inter he was amazing but theres levels to this. Messi and CR7 did it at an high level for more than a decade now.

But if you compare peaks, yeah, r9, ronaldinho and the others i mentioned reached goat status level for a while but never as sustained as messi or cr.

To me, the wildcards are pele and maradona, pele cause he is basically the only player with numbers crazy enough to compare with messi/cr but theres little footage of his play and football was like a different sport back then.

Maradona was the brian clough of players, overachieving without much talent around him, and his 86 world cup campaign remains the greatest individual display of genius ever. He also played in a drastically different time, where number 10's were only playmakers/assists men.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From my era he was the greatest for sure. That linked Twitter thread is astounding reading.

When you look at the teams he done it for on the biggest stage, especially after the injuries it's even more impressive.

He's top three for sure with Messi and Cristiano in terms of the modern game imo.