• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
For those unaware, Renegade Cut is a progressive video essay channel concerned with an examination of film and relation of the themes within toward political and social ideas. Renegade Cut has dropped a new video essay (20 minutes). This time the focus is the era of Ronald Reagan and how his harmful policies and political ideals reflected themselves within horror films of the time, particularly the slasher movie genre where promiscuity and drug use among teenagers and young adults was met out with violent retribution:

One portion of this video I really appreciate is the reminder of how the Reagan administration had a significant hand in not just trafficking cocaine but distributing it for the purpose of perpetuating their bigoted war on drugs mission. It's something that I think has faded into history but deserves to be revived anytime a current day conservative, politician or otherwise, tries to reference Reagan as a positive political figure.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Eh seen this said before in books but the slasher boom started before Reagan became president. It's pure coincidence

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reagan and Thatcher were shockingly awful leaders. Seeing him slowly fictionalized by the right wing for thirty years is shocking. The idea that he brought down the Soviet union is embarrassing. He stole the election by treasonous plotting with Iran and then took us to the brink of nuclear war and ravaged the US economy. Thank God for Gorbachev.

Not even bothering with his serious mental degradation.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's not about the creation of the slasher genre as a whole but specifically about the themes that the genre used in the 80s and how they related to current (for the time) politics.

Still those themes were being rampant in horror and the slasher genre before Reagan still. The stigma against those things were already there, the popularity of the slasher and the period politically just worked to happen together, the folks who made these slashers had no political motivation either when you study the folks who made them.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
always loved Renegade Cut glad to see he's getting views. Need to catch up on his vids sometime soon.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I discovered Renegade Cut a few months ago totally by chance, and it's become one of my favorite channels on YT. I have a bit of a video essay obsession, so it's the perfect channel for me.