• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I dislike the racist misogynistic work Ron Paul does to make the world a worst place but now that he's sick I hope he gets better soon so he can get back to it!!!!111

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mean as someone who's family is part Indonesian I find this rich considering all of the times you posted in the Asian Era takeaways thread and nothing has been done about any of it.

Just you posting meaningless gestures of goodwill rather than maintaining a welcome environment for Asian minorities.
That's weird; using your Indonesian family as a cudgel against a black staffer in a thread about anti-black racism, equating white people creating a hostile environment towards black people with a black staffer not being the Magical Negro you want them to in terms of how fast we, as a team (not just me as a lone staffer) implement new technology, rules, and methodologies, and ultimately hijacking the thread for an issue that you, at this moment, only care about in the context of allowing you to get your licks in to a staffer of a video game forum.

That's the real kicker. In the Asian Era Takeaway thread, I never once posted anything to hijack the issues at hand onto the issues of black members because I at least have the empathy to keep things grounded to the issues at hand, to understand when and where certain issues matter and that it's not always about me. You couldn't even be bothered enough to give black people the same respect and space. But you wanna imply I'm the one who's performative.

With all the work I've done, the hours of sleep I lost, the meals I've skipped, and the off-days I've upended, for no pay and little more than a few PMs of gratitude here and there, I've realized something in this moment....

I really don't have to take this kind of shit. From you, or anyone else.

I don't care what family you have or even who you are, I don't care if you report me (I know either you or someone else will), and I don't care what you say after this:

Fuck off, Vanillalite.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
I agree with you but I also think the innate human condition of caring for others, trying to find goodness in situations/people, taking the high road, or whatever you want to call it, is not something to be faulted. Our better natures are not the reason Ron Paul is who he is.

Anyone's innate human condition of caring for others should be having a laughriot that this man's career built on hurting people may have been cut a little shorter

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's weird; using your Indonesian family as a cudgel against a black staffer in a thread about anti-black racism, equating white people creating a hostile environment towards black people with a black staffer not being the Magical Negro you want them to in terms of how fast we, as a team (not just me as a lone staffer) implement new technology, rules, and methodologies, and ultimately hijacking the thread for an issue that you, at this moment, only care about in the context of allowing you to get your licks in to a staffer of a video game forum.

That's the real kicker. In the Asian Era Takeaway thread, I never once posted anything to hijack the issues at hand onto the issues of black members because I at least have the empathy to keep things grounded to the issues at hand, to understand when and where certain issues matter and that it's not always about me. You couldn't even be bothered enough to give black people the same respect and space. But you wanna imply I'm the one who's performative.

With all the work I've done, the hours of sleep I lost, the meals I've skipped, and the off-days I've upended, for no pay and little more than a few PMs of gratitude here and there, I've realized something in this moment....

I really don't have to take this kind of shit. From you, or anyone else.

I don't care what family you have or even who you are, I don't care if you report me (I know either you or someone else will), and I don't care what you say after this:

Fuck off, Vanillalite.

WowWowWWWoww
What are decorum D: D: D: D:

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that anybody is in any way socially or morally obligated to empathize or send their well-wishes. All I'm saying is that to empathize is to be human, and that nobody should feel obligated to make a conscious effort to stop themselves from having a brief, transient moment of empathy for people that they rationally know do not really deserve it.

In my opinion, this setting of arbitrary thresholds for callousness before one can call themselves an ally is toxic, unhelpful, and completely out of touch with how the vast majority of people function. To me, it only represents a problem when it crosses over into trying to support (via fundraising or whatever), lionize, or white-wash what they did (as happened with George W. Bush). *That's* what we should be vigilant about.

At a rational level, I think most of us (with some exceptions in this thread) understand that Ron Paul is a shitty human being; we don't need to be admonished for expressing very mild empathy, especially when most of the expressions of empathy here haven't really been about feeling empathy for *him* in particular, but rather about seeing and being reminded of our own grandparents and other people in our lives when we see this 85-year old having a stroke. That's what empathy is.

Believe it or not, there have been moments where I have pitied Donald Trump. 99.99% of the time, I feel hatred for him and his administration, at both a rational and visceral level. But I have also felt transient moments of pity (that's not to say that you should also feel these transient moments of pity for Ron Paul or whatever). As long as that doesn't spill over into white-washing what he's done, I think that's okay.
I understand this and thanks for elaborating fully since it adds more detail to the discussion.

I know I came off cold but it was done with purpose. I do posses empathy, a lot of it actually but I do not offer it to those who spread harm just for the simple fact that all of that energy is better spent on the victims/survivors of that harm. Point Blank.

While some will rush to label me as w/e what they don't know is my family has history of strokes as well so yes I'm familiar with the devastation that causes to a person and the effects it leaves on a family. I understand that, and that was a valid point to bring up people empathizing in that regard with their personal families. I totally get that.

I'm going to explain a little background in what forms my opinion on this

As a black person in America, often the only real empathy you ever receive is from your own people. Not to say it doesn't come from outside, but it's most likely going to come from your own

Empathy. You hear that term a lot and then you live a life in a country where nobody gives it to you but expects you to offer it to everyone else at all times. And yet that still doesn't stop me from being empathetic because as I learned about oppression in this country, I learned it in all forms and I see all the groups of people it's affected and I see the parallels

But yet when it comes to black issues, Empathy is virtually non existent. It doesn't come out way and if it does, it barely lasts with any real conviction

I saw thousands of people march with us this year and still are

But I also saw plenty of "I supported BLM until etc etc" or "I don't agree with BLM for etc reasons"

Empathy for black people is extremely fucking fragile and tends to be revoked at any time for whatever reason

And then we have to go life in this country being hit with lack of empathy from all sides via government to our coworkers and their beliefs

and then the cherry on top, when people who have physically oppressed us and make our lives worse get sick or ill or die, we are expected to pray over them to maintain our humanity and dignity

There are no words that channel the amount rage that makes me feel

The hypocrisy, the disrespect. I will never wish well on those who destroy my people in anyway. Because that expectation of empathy never rolls back to favor us.

Only those who seek destroy us, as much as I see people revoke empathy for us, I NEVER see it done for these racists whenever they make the news cycle. They only add more

These people bent over backwards to justify some confederate white boy killing 2 people. Doing anything to claim he wasn't wrong. They had more empathy for psycho murderer than people fighting for their civil rights

I have nothing but animosity for them
I really appreciate your detailed response. At this point, it's clear to me that that I should sit back and let the folks who are more directly impacted by Ron Paul and people like him do all of the talking. You have more patience and eloquence than I do when it's people who are talking over me, so I apologize for talking over you.

there are a bunch of people who were all "I'm engaging in behavior that is hurtful to you and your community and being morally self-righteous about it!!" earlier in the thread, and I wonder how many of them will manage to show the same sort of in-thread growth highlighted by the above exchange

it's not too late, y'all: recognizing your mistakes, apologizing, and just taking in what the most directly affected people are trying to tell you is still an option

Robotnik

Nov 3, 2017
there are a bunch of people who were all "I'm engaging in behavior that is hurtful to you and your community and being morally self-righteous about it!!" earlier in the thread, and I wonder how many of them will manage to show the same sort of in-thread growth highlighted in the above exchange

it's not too late, y'all: recognizing your mistakes, apologizing, and just taking in what the most directly affected people are trying to tell you is still an option
This exchange was enlightening, thanks for highlighting it.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Racism is prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

We tried in other threads, but nothing has been done and half of Asian Era left. So instead of just protesting when it's convenient in other threads I'm doing it here where others can see. Unless this isn't a good place for this, and we should only protest in our little safe havens where it's nice and doesn't effect other posters.

So now, you're going to dismiss and marginalize the concerns of black people in this very thread? How then are you any better than the prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism you're decrying? Sounds like all you want to do is start shit just for the sake of it...

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Ron Paul would let every single stuggling human being starve to death or die from not being able to afford medical help or die while in great medical debt. Simply out of malice and greed.

That's who he is.

I understand the instincts to feel sympathy in the moment but don't lose sight of that fact.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I fundamentally do not understand the sympathy posts in this thread.

Not everyone deserves sympathy.

Ron Paul is definitely on that list. He hasn't really affected me at all, but you gotta be going through life with massive blinders if you think he's an okay (not even good mind you, just okay) person or hasn't massively hurt a metric ton of people with his positions.

And if you are aware of all of that and still choose to have sympathy for the man, regardless of how that will make those metric ton of other people feel and have no sympathy for them, well, says a lot about you, don't it?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
Ron Paul is a white supremacist who had a stroke and seems to be recovering. Since threads of this sort without direction or, frankly, real news, seem to just devolve into finger-wagging at people who display insufficient fucks about assholes getting sick, we're just locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.