• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
Me (entering thread): Oh wow, this sounds crazy, I wonder what everyone is say-

1188803.gif

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I understand this and thanks for elaborating fully since it adds more detail to the discussion.

I know I came off cold but it was done with purpose. I do posses empathy, a lot of it actually but I do not offer it to those who spread harm just for the simple fact that all of that energy is better spent on the victims/survivors of that harm. Point Blank.

While some will rush to label me as w/e what they don't know is my family has history of strokes as well so yes I'm familiar with the devastation that causes to a person and the effects it leaves on a family. I understand that, and that was a valid point to bring up people empathizing in that regard with their personal families. I totally get that.

I'm going to explain a little background in what forms my opinion on this

As a black person in America, often the only real empathy you ever receive is from your own people. Not to say it doesn't come from outside, but it's most likely going to come from your own

Empathy. You hear that term a lot and then you live a life in a country where nobody gives it to you but expects you to offer it to everyone else at all times. And yet that still doesn't stop me from being empathetic because as I learned about oppression in this country, I learned it in all forms and I see all the groups of people it's affected and I see the parallels

But yet when it comes to black issues, Empathy is virtually non existent. It doesn't come out way and if it does, it barely lasts with any real conviction

I saw thousands of people march with us this year and still are

But I also saw plenty of "I supported BLM until etc etc" or "I don't agree with BLM for etc reasons"

Empathy for black people is extremely fucking fragile and tends to be revoked at any time for whatever reason

And then we have to go life in this country being hit with lack of empathy from all sides via government to our coworkers and their beliefs

and then the cherry on top, when people who have physically oppressed us and make our lives worse get sick or ill or die, we are expected to pray over them to maintain our humanity and dignity

There are no words that channel the amount rage that makes me feel

The hypocrisy, the disrespect. I will never wish well on those who destroy my people in anyway. Because that expectation of empathy never rolls back to favor us.

Only those who seek destroy us, as much as I see people revoke empathy for us, I NEVER see it done for these racists whenever they make the news cycle. They only add more

These people bent over backwards to justify some confederate white boy killing 2 people. Doing anything to claim he wasn't wrong. They had more empathy for psycho murderer than people fighting for their civil rights

I have nothing but animosity for them

I wish I could actively see the threads some of these posters participate in. See where they really stand. Drive by "get well" posts are fucking trash.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people here haven't taken the time to think of who Ron Paul REALLY is, besides being some cooky old politician. It's not equivalent in their mind of saying.."GET WELL SOON TRUMP!"
I am sure they meant no ill will to anyone here.

Perhaps I am wrong. I don't know.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Of course one of the leaders of the Libertarian movement in the US is talking about free markets when he has a stroke. Fucking because of course.

He's a racist who hates the poor. We should let those truths temper any regret we have over this.

Lol yeah, of course he'd be mid sentence in some dumb free market bullshit.

And he'll probably be back to spewing poison and arguing for the denial of health services to the poor, same ones that benefited him. That fucking racist asshole.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing like having a bunch of random strangers on the internet supposedly have your back on issues minorities face, just to turn around and express empathy for the people directly causing the harm. Lmao.
sure those people hate you for existing but you gotta be nice online!

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
What are you supposed to do for someone having a stroke, until the ambulance gets there and such?

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
So he's fine?

And he will continue to be an unabashed sexist and racist?

And he had well wishers?

Here?

And those well wishers dog pilled people who didn't care about what happened to this stain on humanity?

Huh...

Maybe stop showing so much empathy towards assholes?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I understand this and thanks for elaborating fully since it adds more detail to the discussion.

I know I came off cold but it was done with purpose. I do posses empathy, a lot of it actually but I do not offer it to those who spread harm just for the simple fact that all of that energy is better spent on the victims/survivors of that harm. Point Blank.

While some will rush to label me as w/e what they don't know is my family has history of strokes as well so yes I'm familiar with the devastation that causes to a person and the effects it leaves on a family. I understand that, and that was a valid point to bring up people empathizing in that regard with their personal families. I totally get that.

As a black person in America, often the only real empathy you ever receive is from your own people. Not to say it doesn't come from outside, but it's most likely going to come from your own

Empathy. You hear that term a lot and then you live a life in a country where nobody gives it to you but expects you to offer it to everyone else at all times. And yet that still doesn't stop me from being empathetic because as I learned about oppression in this country, I learned it in all forms and I see all the groups of people it's affected and I see the parallels

But yet when it comes to black issues, Empathy is virtually non existent. It doesn't come out way and if it does, it barely lasts with any real conviction

But I also saw plenty of "I supported BLM until etc etc" or "I don't agree with BLM for etc reasons"

Empathy for black people is extremely fucking fragile and tends to be revoked at any time for whatever reason

And then we have to go life in this country being hit with lack of empathy from all sides via government to our coworkers and their beliefs

and then the cherry on top, when people who have physically oppressed us and make our lives worse get sick or ill or die, we are expected to pray over them to maintain our humanity and dignity

The hypocrisy, the disrespect. I will never wish well on those who destroy my people in anyway. Because that expectation of empathy never rolls back to favor us.

Only those who seek destroy us, as much as I see people revoke empathy for us, I NEVER see it done for these racists whenever they make the news cycle. They only add more

These people bent over backwards to justify some confederate white boy killing 2 people. Doing anything to claim he wasn't wrong. They had more empathy for psycho murderer than people fighting for their civil rights

Brilliant post.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
You'd think Herman Cain tweeting from the dead that Covid is a hoax after dying from Covid would help people realize the garbage these people are and the zero sympathy they deserve.

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's generally poor practice to sit there an actively wish for people to die in horrific ways. Makes you look like a fucking psycho.

"I don't care that Ron Paul had a stroke" is not actively wishing for people to die in horrible ways. What, is the act of not well-wishing an active attempt to worsen their health or what?

Like that's such a ridiculous argument, one where you either didn't read their post or read what you wanted from it.

Oct 27, 2017

🖤🖤🖤

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I am sure they meant no ill will to anyone here.
It doesn't matter what your intent is. It matters what effects your actions have.

Like, people here can understand the silliness of "thoughts and prayers" coupled with inaction after a mass tragedy, that just because someone means well for victims doesn't mean they actually performed a helpful deed. Correct?

I posit then that rushing past minorities to wish their ailing oppressors well simply because the act of wishing someone- anyone- well, makes you feel fuzzy inside, and a fuzzy feeling MUST automatically mean you're a good person, is the left-leaning version of "thoughts and prayers."

It does literally nothing.

Oct 28, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Minimizing and downplaying Ron Paul's well-documented racism over a series of posts. Previous bans for dismissing racism and misogyny.
Say what you want about Paul but he was one of the few American politicians who had consistently given a shit about the millions of brown people the US had killed in the middle east. Unlike say Biden who authorized and advocated for all of it.

The hate for him by some here seems misdirected to be honest.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The good thing for him is that he was live, on stage, in studio. He's surrounded by people and producers who would have immediately called for an ambulance within seconds of this happening. He'll be rushed to a hospital and will have a higher chance of recovering because of that.

It's horrible to watch, but I think it's important for everyone to watch it so they know what a stroke looks and sounds like. But hopefully never have to witness in person.

This. The video is horrific. It will be hard to watch. But everybody should watch so that they can see first hand and learn what some of the symptoms of a stroke look like so that should the situation happen that they are prepared and know that they need to call the emergency line when they see it.

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
Say what you want about Paul but he was one of the few American politicians who had consistently given a shit about the millions of brown people the US had killed in the middle east. Unlike say Biden who authorized and advocated for all of it.

Let me get this fucking straight.

You came in here. Saw the myriad posts explaining the harmful policies this asshole has enacted on Black people, other minorities, and the poor. And you still decided to stan? "Say what you want about Paul?" That was what you typed?

GTFOH.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

ron paul is a racist shithead who only spent his entire career trying to gut social services and legal protections for literally anyone who isn't a straight white man and his opposition to the military industrial complex had fuck all to do with the lives of brown people, the only thing he ever gave a shit about was trying to lower taxes and moving to the gold standard because in addition to being actively malicious he's also an idiot.

Muse98

May 28, 2020

Well he and his son don't give too much of a shit about the brown and black people living in this country.

Ron Paul and his son are racist pieces of shit.

Fuck both of them

Oct 28, 2018
Let me get this fucking straight.

You came in here. Saw the myriad posts explaining the harmful policies this asshole has enacted on Black people, other minorities, and the poor. And you still decided to stan? "Say what you want about Paul?" That was what you typed?

GTFOH.

What harmful policies has he actually enacted? He was an immensely ineffective legislator that essentially got nothing done when he was in congress. I'm aware that he's an extreme libertarian that believes in removing government from essentially everything, but when reflecting on his legacy and what he actually accomplished as a presidential candidate, politician, etc., it was primarily bringing to the forefront the truth about America's imperialistic foreign policy and the harm that it does in the world. In a world of Republicans that all parrot the same neocon talking points he offered some alternative.

Oct 28, 2018
ron paul is a racist shithead who only spent his entire career trying to gut social services and legal protections for literally anyone who isn't a straight white man and his opposition to the military industrial complex had fuck all to do with the lives of brown people, the only thing he ever gave a shit about was trying to lower taxes and moving to the gold standard because in addition to being actively malicious he's also an idiot.

To be fair he definitely wants to gut social services for every single person because again he's an extreme libertarian. These types of libertarians oppose government for purely moralistic reasons (ie taxation is theft). Trust me I've had many debates with these particular types of libertarians, they literally don't believe that the government should be permitted to do anything without the express consent of the individual. It's wildly utopian, ideological, naive, and stupid, but it's not primarily race based.

Ahuitzotl

Jun 11, 2020

This is definitely how I feel, to the T.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
watching the people on the first page WISHING him well and shit LMFAOOO the level of posturing from users who supposedly call themselves allies of minorities knowing what he's done.
i-have-to-laugh-1537895880.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Wth really.

So I'm only progressive or with you if I write how good it is that this person had a stroke. Or if someone is at least silent, but as soon as someone sends some well wishes to a person, you're out?

Just FYI, no matter what someone believes in, everything, every single opinion was made from surroundings, from how a person grew up, from how a child was raised. No one is born evil. I wish death on no one. And I 100% don't wish a stroke, cancer or anything like that on anybody. I rather have 0 skin than shout with others to wish someone death or anything relatable.

To be clear, are you suggesting that not wishing someone well is wishing someone harm?

No one in this thread has wished for Ron Paul's death or admonished people for not. You're inventing someone to get mad at.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Wow. After watching it, I was expected something...I don't know, worse? Different?

I'm not sure I would have recognized a stroke for what it was if not for seeing this.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Yea that's crazy. My brother passed away recently from a stroke. It is not something to mess around with.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: I learned Ron Paul stans still exist. Fucking hell, feel like I stepped back in time to 2007 or something...

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I had a stroke at 34 in November last year. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, there is nothing positive about it I don't care who it happens to.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
idk if he were a normal ass person it'd be one thing (and we wouldn't have a thread about it to comment on), but he was a lawmaker of a large country for decades and he spent that entire time being a shithead sooooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is wrong with you?

Even if he is an asshole, that sort of comment doesnt belong here. Not the right place or time.
What kind of comment doesn't belong here?

They could go "Ok...... Anyway, about that Patriots game in a few days."

Conveys the same; apathy if not disdain.

Ron Paul is the topic, why wouldn't comments about why people don't like him and are entirely indifferent to his medical status not belong?

Status
Not open for further replies.