• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I shouldn't have watched that. I've never seen a stroke happen. Wish I still hadn't
This post made me watch the video. Not because I wanted to see it but I need to KNOW exactly what it looks like. My grandparents and in laws are getting up there and damn sure nobody else is watching out for them.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
That has to be such an awful experience. That was painful to see.
This post made me watch the video. Not because I wanted to see it but I need to KNOW exactly what it looks like. My grandparents and in laws are getting up there and damn sure nobody else is watching out for them.
Same reason I watched. I knew it wouldn't be fun, but I want to know how what it's like so I can keep that in mind.
Reminder that Ron Paul isn't a good person. Just because he had a stroke that doesn't make him one.
I think most people in here are just empathizing with the experience; nobody is lionizing him. Regardless of how I feel about someone, I don't personally wish awful things upon them like a stroke.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My grandmother had a severe stroke. It changed her personality and she spent almost a year recovering and going through therapy in a nursing home. She never walked again and could only speak a few words. Eventually my mother was able to arrange it so she could come home and get home health aides and doctor visits there. She was able to spend her last year at home with family with a good quality of life.

Don't see any sagging in his face, so I imagine it wasn't severe.

(not a doctor)

If they catch it early enough there's a drug they can give you that has a good chance of the patient recovering.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Empathy is earned

Who here can tell me why the fuck should I care about this destructive ass racist strokin out? Honest question. Willing to answer.

So many of you quick to empathize any fucking monster just because of a medical condition

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Disturbing. Things like this and dementia/alzheimers really unnerve me about my parents and myself getting older. At least it can be semi-educational for people to see what it looks like.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
All the best Dr. Paul! Age will get all of us eventually, no matter what you think of the man he continues to preach his message of liberty even at freaking 85.

I imagine Bernie Sanders will be the same way. They both are basically polar opposites ideologically but for the most part have had the same views for about a century refusing to flip flop on everything like most politicians.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Empathy is earned

Who here can tell me why the fuck should I care about this destructive ass racist strokin out? Honest question. Willing to answer.

So many of you quick to empathize any fucking monster just because of a medical condition
They can't give an actual answer, so it'll just be some bs about how "it's not the time"

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
PSA for people looking to identify stroke symptoms (because of the amount of "Wow, this is educational" comments): it's sometimes not as dramatic as this, and sometimes more dramatic. My parents both had strokes; my dad found he was dragging his left foot, my mum collapsed at work.

The things to check are:
1. Face. Is their face drooping on either side?
2. Arms. Are they able to raise their arms - and keep them there with their eyes closed?
3. Speech. Are they slurring their speech?
4. Time. Time to call an ambulance.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Empathy is earned

Because it's generally poor practice to sit there an actively wish for people to die in horrific ways. Makes you look like a fucking psycho.

Oct 27, 2017
Empathy is earned

I think you can empathize without sympathizing. I can understand that a stroke is terrifying and it'd feel painful, but I'm not going to feel bad for someone who used a position of authority to piss on minorities.

People act like that's the same as wishing harm on someone, and they're wrong.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Empathy is earned

Empathy is not earned. That's the exact opposite of what empathy means.

You're not obligated to care, but it's obnoxious that some of you would tut-tut others for offering up the mildest expressions of empathy and well-wishing.

>"I hope he is okay."
"Why are you not actively hoping that he dies?"

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you can empathize without sympathizing. I can understand that a stroke is terrifying and it'd feel painful, but I'm not going to feel bad for someone who used a position of authority to piss on minorities.

Exactly. I empathize and wish no ill. Strokes are frightening things.

But I am never going to feel sympathetic for someone who is unapologetically racist and hates poor people.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I shouldn't have watched that. I've never seen a stroke happen. Wish I still hadn't

Why? Would you rather go your entire life without knowing the signs and symptoms of a stroke? This video is as informative for the uneducated as it is difficult to watch.

Don't see any sagging in his face, so I imagine it wasn't severe.

(not a doctor)

I know this was done with good intentions but this is bad. Signs and symptoms vary from person-to-person. Nonetheless, even minor TIAs can contribute to a more severe stroker at a later date. Whether it lasted 10 seconds or 45 seconds, a. hemorrhage occurred in the brain. This is not good. It will never be good. If anyone ever suspects a stroke has happened, seek medical attention ASAP.

It is clear that you do not understand the concept of empathy nor do you have any of it.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, glad I saw the video. I have never seen what a stroke looks like. Disturbing stuff. Now I'll know what to look for.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're not obligated to care, but it's obnoxious that some of you would tut-tut others for offering up the mildest expressions of empathy and well-wishing.

>"I hope he is okay."
Please show me a single post in this thread that was "tut-tutting" people for offering expressions of empathy. Because a quarter of the posts in this thread are people tut-tutting someone who is saying that Ron Paul sucks and having a stroke doesn't change that.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing a young news reporter have a stroke while reporting, live on air. She didn't even start slurring or showing any physical signs other than her words were just complete gibberish. It was fascinating and horrifying in equal measures, especially considering how young she was. I believe she fully recovered.
IIRC, they said she didn't have a stroke. Don't believe it was ever said what actually happened though.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's so strange, does he know it's happening? Not familiar with strokes. Is he starting to freak out at the end? Or is it just him thinking he's still talking?

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Why? Would you rather go your entire life without knowing the signs and symptoms of a stroke? This video is as informative for the uneducated as it is difficult to watch.

Honestly? ...yeah. I've never known anyone who has had a stroke and here's hoping I never do. I don't need to see that.

If I did in the future see a person do that I would be on 911 immediately anyway saying "this dude was talking normally then went blank and slack jawed and couldn't function" I think they would figure it out, so me not 'being informed' wouldn't have changed much.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Wow, glad I saw the video. I have never seen what a stroke looks like. Disturbing stuff. Now I'll know what to look for.

Yes, it's tough to watch regardless of how you feel about the guy, but it's also I think important because it's a very clear example of what to look for, and if you know that you can act quickly and decisively. Which could mean the difference between life & death.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Honestly? ...yeah. I've never known anyone who has had a stroke and here's hoping I never do. I don't need to see that.

If I did in the future see a person do that I would be on 911 immediately anyway saying "this dude was talking normally then went blank and slack jawed and couldn't function" I think they would figure it out, so me not 'being informed' wouldn't have changed much.

I mean, those are fair points. As a health worker, my wish is that everyone becomes educated on important health issues affecting the communities they're living in. Some are harder to watch than others.

As long as you don't turn a blind eye to someone else's pain and are somewhat informed of what to look for, you may save someones live one day.

Nov 11, 2017
I mean, those are fair points. As a health worker, my wish is that everyone becomes educated on important health issues affecting the communities they're living in. Some are harder to watch than others.

As long as you don't turn a blind eye to someone else's pain and are somewhat informed of what to look for, you may save someones live one day.
This. It's important to know the signs of a stroke, it can be the difference between full recovery or death.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017

I do understand what you (and others) are getting at. It IS important to be informed and aware of these sort of things especially when they are related to the health of those around you.

I don't know what I would do differently now though. Now that I have seen a stroke, I would still just call 911 and say "this guy just had a stroke" I guess I just wish knowledge like this also came with an action plan for a non-medical person but it really doesn't provide that other than....call for help.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Strokes suck. Good thing he is rich so he can get treated, unlike the people who would be unable to afford healthcare due to the policies he supports. Maybe he will develop empathy towards people in similar positions. My grandfather had a stroke two years ago and he has never been the same since.

It's important that everyone should be able to identify a stroke. Seems like some in this thread don't necessarily know how. The FAST acronym is a good heuristic: https://www.stroke.org/en/help-and-support/resource-library/fast-materials

Aug 2, 2018
Very scary to watch. My Dad passed away from a stroke while fighting Cancer. Lost his ability to speak and spent his last days not being able to communicate. Also people using this as a chance to remind how bad he is are disgusting.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Please show me a single post in this thread that was "tut-tutting" people for offering expressions of empathy. Because a quarter of the posts in this thread are people tut-tutting someone who is saying that Ron Paul sucks and having a stroke doesn't change that.
They felt compelled to "remind others" that Ron Paul is a bad person because all the posts prior to that were mild expressions of empathy and well-wishing. How is that not expressing their disapproval, aka "tut-tutting"?

When you get a company-wide email with "friendly reminders" about X, do you usually not interpret those as a subtle expression of disapproval or admonition?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
All I could think of while watching that is that you have to make the most of what you have while you still have it.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Poor guy I hope he recovers soon. My grandma suffered from a stroke years ago and some of the effects are still there

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Because it's generally poor practice to sit there an actively wish for people to die in horrific ways. Makes you look like a fucking psycho.

Not offering condolences = wishing them to die. Sure, however that works

nah, what's fucking psycho is how so many of y'all claim to "support" us but wanna offer warm wishes to our oppressors to get healthy again

That's what's fucking psycho

You see it right now

>"I hope he is okay."

Just proved the post aboves point

it's impressive how you all conflate not offering condolences to wishing death.

I click this page to see people offering "well wishes" to a fucking open oppresser of my people.
and you have the fucking nerve to come at me about tut tutting

It is clear that you do not understand the concept of empathy nor do you have any of it.

Ah yes, because I refuse to have empathy and well wishes for trash bag who denigrated my people throughout his career means I do not understand and lack it completely in all regards

What a white ass thought process

You have 0 skin in the game

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Strokes suck. Good thing he is rich so he can get treated, unlike the people who would be unable to afford healthcare due to the policies he supports. Maybe he will develop empathy towards people in similar positions. My grandfather had a stroke two years ago and he has never been the same since.

It's important that everyone should be able to identify a stroke. Seems like some in this thread don't necessarily know how. The FAST acronym is a good heuristic: https://www.stroke.org/en/help-and-support/resource-library/fast-materials

In this case, it's not money that saved Paul, it was time. If they can get it to you in time, a clot dissolving drug can lead to a full recovery.

Now if it had been too late for the drug to be effective, then yeah his wealth and good health care would put him on a very different track than most Americans.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Not offering condolences = wishing them to die. Sure, however that works

nah, what's fucking psycho is how so many of y'all claim to "support" us but wanna offer warm wishes to our oppressors to get healthy again

That's what's fucking psycho

You see it right now

Just proved the post aboves point

it's impressive how you all conflate not offering condolences to wishing death.

I click this page to see people offering "well wishes" to a fucking open oppresser of my people.
and you have the fucking nerve to come at me about tut tutting

Ah yes, because I refuse to have empathy and well wishes for trash bag who denigrated my people throughout his career means I do not understand and lack it completely in all regards

What a white ass thought process

You have 0 skin in the game
Nah. Y'all missed the point. We ain't there on his deathbed sending him flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.