• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats a relief at least. Maybe Square learned their lesson.
Sad FFVI had to die for it but there you go.
It's just that some of the original crew is still at SQEX (and some moved to AP) and still care for the original games.
SQEX as a company doesn't care for its own history, so it's down to the individuals.

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
The sprites are a tad uglier on the Vita and there's psp FFT like slowdown during most techs in the waterfall dungeon.

Almyn

Oct 26, 2017
N-Ireland
So what's a good team for a first play through? There's a lot of options. Should I be giving magic to everyone in the party anyway? Is a full melee team suitable for the whole game?

At the moment I have Julian as my main. Nora, Ellen, Thomas and Monika. I want some magic users. I tried giving Monika and Thomas magic but it's taking forever to build up their MP and skill. Thinking of ditching either Nora or Ellen for a magic based character, But I like them both.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So what's a good team for a first play through? There's a lot of options. Should I be giving magic to everyone in the party anyway? Is a full melee team suitable for the whole game?

At the moment I have Julian as my main. Nora, Ellen, Thomas and Monika. I want some magic users. I tried giving Monika and Thomas magic but it's taking forever to build up their MP and skill. Thinking of ditching either Nora or Ellen for a magic based character, But I like them both.

You'll generally want different terrestrial elements of magic (water/earth/fire/wind) on 2-3 members, each with the ability to heal either via that element and/or a celestial (lunar/solar) one. That'll keep up your team's healing capacity as well as their ability to neutralize the elemental field effects that heal bosses.

Thomas and Monika would both make OK mages, but raising MP is a slow-going affair; probably best to replace them if you don't want to invest in that process. There are plenty of good mages or hybrids to choose from: Undine(*) is a great all-rounder with her default Water magic, or an offensive powerhouse if given Earth; Charl starts strong in Fire (and needs to be given the Silver Hand equipment to boost his physical stats) and could be given Lunar/Solar for healing utility too; Boston is another powerful hybrid, starting strong in Water as well as Martial Arts.

(*): Undine starts with an MP crown, which deducts 1 MP from all her spell costs. Crowns are rewards for focusing a character on either SP or MP usage (physical or magical, essentially). It's a ratio thing -- characters who gain much MP can't get an SP crown, and vice-versa. So Undine's best left only casting magic. Interestingly, she has a bugged (?) affinity for Earth magic, reducing all its costs by 1 (doesn't stack with MP crown deduction), so if you switch her to that she could also use a bow or something since her crown would only help potential Lunar/Solar costs.

Nora and Ellen are both strong physical characters, though in similar ways. Nora's best with maces/axes, while Ellen's strong in axes/martial arts. Could use them both, or just one if you want weapon type variety. I'd pick Ellen, because Nora can be made into a blacksmith if not a party member.

Here's the character page from the best English resource for RS3 (if you don't want to spoil available characters, just navigate elsewherel): https://romancing-saga-3.blogspot.com/p/rs3-characters.html

Almyn

Oct 26, 2017
N-Ireland
Nice, thanks a lot. I'll look into picking up Undine I think, I have the quest but haven't completed it yet. Sharl looks like a decent choice too I had him in my party during the Gon quest.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Oh my god this business sim i stumbled across early in Katarina's game. Bafflingly unexplained! Want to buy this company worth $0? Then keep piling money onto a scale over and over until you quit in confusion!

Almyn

Oct 26, 2017
N-Ireland
Oh my god this business sim i stumbled across early in Katarina's game. Bafflingly unexplained! Want to buy this company worth $0? Then keep piling money onto a scale over and over until you quit in confusion!

Yeah I still don't really understand it exactly. But I finished the first part (To get 100 million) by buying up all the small companies from some of the smaller town's. Don't go for stuff in Pidona as they have too much cash to outbid you. Just keep dumping money from any business you have who's name is in black or blue. If it's yellow or red I think there's a high risk they'll bail on you. The big money comes from the groups, If you start buying up the smaller companies around the world you'll start to fill out the group's tab. I've no idea what skills actually do. It moves so fast I can't see how much they affect things.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go to Ake, buy everything in Ake, let the Ake companies spark the Jungle Spice group, keep playing until you get the skill that restores the confidence of your companies, and now you've won.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Yeah I still don't really understand it exactly. But I finished the first part (To get 100 million) by buying up all the small companies from some of the smaller town's. Don't go for stuff in Pidona as they have too much cash to outbid you. Just keep dumping money from any business you have who's name is in black or blue. If it's yellow or red I think there's a high risk they'll bail on you. The big money comes from the groups, If you start buying up the smaller companies around the world you'll start to fill out the group's tab. I've no idea what skills actually do. It moves so fast I can't see how much they affect things.
Go to Ake, buy everything in Ake, let the Ake companies spark the Jungle Spice group, keep playing until you get the skill that restores the confidence of your companies, and now you've won.
Thank you both!

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Done!

Ellen, Boston, Robin, Fullbright, and Charl. Damn, such a good game.

On to Scarlet Grace!

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
i think i've mostly managed to get by on luck so far, I'm doing abyss gates at the moment and I have a pretty much fully melee group because I'm a dumb dumb.

been playing mostly blind, and I started with Julian. I may need to work on fixing myself up a bit.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
i think i've mostly managed to get by on luck so far, I'm doing abyss gates at the moment and I have a pretty much fully melee group because I'm a dumb dumb.

been playing mostly blind, and I started with Julian. I may need to work on fixing myself up a bit.

I found the game got a little easier when I tossed out one of my melee fighters for Undine. Got some healing magic and some powerful attack magic too.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is there like a recommended starting character?

Urpina is often cited as the best starting character, due to having more linear structure in her long chapter 1, helping you to ease into learning about the game system.
Personally, I find her to be somewhat of a noob trap, because her campaign is actually hardest or 2nd hardest out of the 4.

I enjoyed playing Leonardo first since his story gives you freedom and is also the easiest because of very early access to strong characters and LP restoration point.
Having said that, playing Leo first will make some of the events content fly over your head.
It also will be confusing for first time SaGa player, because the non-linear structure might be a bit overwhelming.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Urpina is often cited as the best starting character, due to having more linear structure in her long chapter 1, helping you to ease into learning about the game system.
Personally, I find her to be somewhat of a noob trap, because her campaign is actually hardest or 2nd hardest out of the 4.

I enjoyed playing Leonardo first since his story gives you freedom and is also the easiest because of very early access to strong characters and LP restoration point.
Having said that, playing Leo first will make some of the events content fly over your head.
It also will be confusing for first time SaGa player, because the non-linear structure might be a bit overwhelming.

You're talking about Scarlet Grace. This is the RS3 OT. :P

Is there like a recommended starting character?

Whoever appeals to you most whose name isn't Sarah or Mikhail, basically.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You're talking about Scarlet Grace. This is the RS3 OT. :P

Whoever appeals to you most whose name isn't Sarah or Mikhail, basically.

Oh shoot lol.

To answer the question:
Any of the starting 8 are good except for Monika, Sarah, and Mikhail.
Maybe Harid is also not so good of a choice.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm stuck at this point, I've sealed the gate at Archfiend Palace but I've been flat up struggling with either Forneus or Aunus. I've not tried the wind gate yet, I went back to Lance and did the trials afterwards though and failed the second round of the bow trial. Game is lovely though otherwise, I've imported a physical copy to have, and I adore some of the music. All my characters are like <400HP and, admittedly, at the moment in all null water gear so I need to start changing out stuff.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The adventure log is such a great addition that it's shocking to read it wasn't always there. Came back to the game after like a year and after going through it for 20 minutes I was actually able to remember what I was doing and get back on with it. Being able to list actions by order completed and region is very nice.

Only problem I have with this remaster now that I have an oled is instead of the interiors using black for the unrendered areas of the screen it's a sort of dark gray which doesn't look anywhere near as good

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
So shadow servant is basically useless, yeah? I heard people saying it was OP and I can see how it could be, if I didn't get hit the instant I cast it wasting a turn. The abyss gate bosses in particular always get 3-4 hits in so it's pretty much guaranteed to dispel a stand within a turn or so

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
So shadow servant is basically useless, yeah? I heard people saying it was OP and I can see how it could be, if I didn't get hit the instant I cast it wasting a turn. The abyss gate bosses in particular always get 3-4 hits in so it's pretty much guaranteed to dispel a stand within a turn or so
It still absorbs a hit for your character, but yeah, shadow servant is not worth the setup in most cases.