• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
Finally killed that green dragon and the boss at the end of the Phantom Maze (and he was HARD!) Now I'm farming rare drops and trying to get that damn Dragon Scale Armor. I found Avi's Feather and the Reinforced Armor. Where is the Hydra Armor?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
OK, folks. I'm stumped. I started over as Katarina and EVERYONE I've been able to recruit has been pathetically weak. Thomas is useless, Sherbert is literal dead weight, and half of the characters die in one or two hits. If they actually manage to land a hit themselves, they do single or double-digit damage compared to Kat.

What am I doing wrong? I do not remember the SNES version being this hard.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
ugh just got owned by Aunus. It was the first abyss gate I attempted and the monsters are so easy for my party (around 490-500 hp)...but the boss itself Jebus. Between the fire shield (sucks that my best techs are Two Handed Swords and Maces) and his AoE attacks I'm just not lasting long enough to kill him. At what level should I attempt him? Also...which is the easiest Abyss Boss to try at my hp level?

Nov 8, 2017
OK, folks. I'm stumped. I started over as Katarina and EVERYONE I've been able to recruit has been pathetically weak. Thomas is useless, Sherbert is literal dead weight, and half of the characters die in one or two hits. If they actually manage to land a hit themselves, they do single or double-digit damage compared to Kat.

What am I doing wrong? I do not remember the SNES version being this hard.

My characters were like that until I started fighting things in the Rotten Sea ruins. For some reason, they started leveling up like crazy. Also, getting good gear from the workshop seemed to help matters as well.

Strange your Thomas is so weak. I trained him in spears, Moon and Genbu magic, and he ended up being an integral part of the team that (finally) took out the final boss.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My characters were like that until I started fighting things in the Rotten Sea ruins. For some reason, they started leveling up like crazy. Also, getting good gear from the workshop seemed to help matters as well.

Strange your Thomas is so weak. I trained him in spears, Moon and Genbu magic, and he ended up being an integral part of the team that (finally) took out the final boss.

Yeah. In my Julian playthrough on SNES, Tom was a beast. But for Katarina he has 98 HP and does virtually no damage with spears OR bows. I think I might start over, maybe I fucked something up.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Herman won't leave my party. Gonna just LP kill him. Want to replace him with Zhi Ling. I severely overestimated the trek across the desert. There are extremely strong plant enemies that you are forced to fight to even enter the Desert. The rest of the enemies don't even come close to how strong they were.

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
Beat the game for the first time a couple days ago. My game actually crashed during the credits so I had to beat the boss again to get the ending trophy to pop. Absolutely loved my time with it and It makes me sad how this game was few steps short from being an all-time great.

Edit: I always loved what little music I heard when I played it back then but the music later on and especially this song

was a legit surprise. Also the final battle song and intro was so freaking cool.
OH and the song that plays for the extra dungeon last boss gave me whiplash.

Last edited:

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
This is my first Saga game and I'm enjoying it, but I am stuck now. I was just messing around and going with the flow, but every single thing I tried to do led to a dead end. I can usually beat normal enemies, but then bosses one shot every person in my party.

Now I think I am literally at a dead end. I apologize because I can't remember most of the town names. I started as Julian. I am now at the place where Thomas is and was sent to a weird cathedral to rescue some kids. Is it possible for me to leave here? I can trash the normal enemies, but there is a group of like 5 harpy ladies (snake?) that one shot every party member. I need to kill them to get further inside.

I would just keep battling, but I am under the impression that eventually the enemies will scale up and I'll be even more screwed.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first Saga game and I'm enjoying it, but I am stuck now. I was just messing around and going with the flow, but every single thing I tried to do led to a dead end. I can usually beat normal enemies, but then bosses one shot every person in my party.

Now I think I am literally at a dead end. I apologize because I can't remember most of the town names. I started as Julian. I am now at the place where Thomas is and was sent to a weird cathedral to rescue some kids. Is it possible for me to leave here? I can trash the normal enemies, but there is a group of like 5 harpy ladies (snake?) that one shot every party member. I need to kill them to get further inside.

I would just keep battling, but I am under the impression that eventually the enemies will scale up and I'll be even more screwed.
The kid is much earlier in the dungeon. If you got down to the harpies, you went too far. The door you need is in the tall screen with the stairs running down the center. (map here)

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
The kid is much earlier in the dungeon. If you got down to the harpies, you went too far. The door you need is in the tall screen with the stairs running down the center. (map here)
ohhh. I had already found the kid, I just assumed I was supposed to keep going deeper inside the place. That makes sense as to why I was getting smoked. Thank you very much!

Nov 8, 2017
As I intimated earlier, my team of Julian, Khalid, Thomas, Boston, and Leonid took out the final boss and "superboss". Honestly, that last stretch of the game was quite the challenge. The powered-up Sinistrals gave me a run for my money. And I had to redo the final boss, since the game didn't tell me it was going to break my formation right before the fight.

Oblivion's second form is something else. She gets two or three party-wide attacks in a row, and it was tough to keep up with the healing. But Doppleslasher went from doing 2K to 5K (and capping out at 8K!), and a Shadow Servant Boston hit for 7-8K with Tiger Break (thanks Iggy!). When the "power of the Abyss" phase came, I simply had Boston dump his MP into Hasten Time and finished her off that way.

It seems to me that 1-handed swords and martial arts trump all in this game. Epées are weak, even with the top-level techs. Bows I never found a use for. With spears, a similarly-powered Thomas couldn't keep up with the damage swords were doing. And magic is situational - besides healing and Shadow Servant (with the occasional buff, but the Matriarch spear handled most of that).

I want to start over with Katrina and 2-handed swords with a new party composition. Any advice on other characters/tactics to try?

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah the weapon balance is just not there for RS3.
Sword is by far the strongest weapon. Doppleslash is just so strong especially for what it costs.

For different playthrough, I'd suggest Sarah or Mikhail.
Sarah has unique final stretch of the game and unlock special mode only available to her.
Mikhail has a special minigame that is a bit complicated.
Katrina is sort of ok too. She's the only main char that can't be recruited by other main chars.

Aside from that, maybe you can consider mage only run.
To do that, it's best to start with Scholar Thomas for highest possible Int.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hey fans! Thought I'd pop in to let any hardcore SaGa fans know that Super Groupies (maker of chic game/anime apparel/accessories) has a gorgeous collection for the first 3 games.

Watches, wallets, bags, and other fancy stuff.
saga1_watch_detail01.jpg

saga1_bag_detail03.jpg

saga3_watch_detail01_r01.jpg

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
Now that I have been able to complete some quests I am having an absolute blast. I got addicted to the business minigame and almost bought everything I could buy before the second phase was completed. The non-linearity is really hooking me. I keep accidentally stumbling upon things that I wasn't even assigned a quest for. It seems like in some cases it's totally breaking triggers, but there are so many that's fine. With so many bizarre moving pieces it's understandable that things would overlap at times.

Also, I think I messed up the trigger for getting Robin somehow? As far as I can tell the whole quest is over and I should be able to go recruit him, but he's not where he should be. Maybe because it overlapped with me dunking on the Dophore Group for Fullbright?

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Did you go to the weapon store? Enter and then exit for a few scenes and some combat encounters. Then go to the wsrehouse. I had to enter and reenter the weapons shop a few times for the event to trigger.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing as Ellen trying to get these pets back in the forest and the dragon one keeps destroying me lol. I assume it's okay to do this later or will this quest break?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm just going to start my game over. Everywhere I go leads to me some boss that's way out of my league and now I'm trapped in a quest at an arctic lake with a boss that regenerates more damage every turn than I am capable of putting out.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm just going to start my game over. Everywhere I go leads to me some boss that's way out of my league and now I'm trapped in a quest at an arctic lake with a boss that regenerates more damage every turn than I am capable of putting out.

If you have anyone with magic, casting an attack of a different element has a chance to neutralize or change the field effect (which is what's healing it, since it's water element). That's an important aspect to many bosses as you get further in.

You shouldn't have to start your game over (it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to truly mess it up to that degree). Here's a resource you may find helpful:

I'm playing as Ellen trying to get these pets back in the forest and the dragon one keeps destroying me lol. I assume it's okay to do this later or will this quest break?

It'll be fine to do later. You just get money from turning them in. Only thing that might potentially break it is having the business minigame, maybe.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
If you have anyone with magic, casting an attack of a different element has a chance to neutralize or change the field effect (which is what's healing it, since it's water element). That's an important aspect to many bosses as you get further in.

You shouldn't have to start your game over (it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to truly mess it up to that degree). Here's a resource you may find helpful:

It'll be fine to do later. You just get money from turning them in. Only thing that might potentially break it is having the business minigame, maybe.
Cool, thanks for the link. Maybe letting the boss kill me will let me leave the lake area because right now I seem to be trapped in the town nearby and the boss area.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Finally sparked Meteor Kick. I can finally do some damage. I'm probably going to have to New Game+ as I've been focused on sparking skills and mastering them as opposed to progressing the story.

If I recall correctly, there is a hidden counter that counts the numbers of battles you win and scales the enemies up as you progress, right?

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Ugh so... I went into the Abyss not knowing that was the point of no return. Despite having some good techs (Doppelganger, Nature's Dance, Triumvirate doing 2k-3k each) I'm getting demolished in the Destroyer's final phase when you start losing HP every turn. Am I screwed? Should I just NG+ and start over? Or can I grind here against the mobs? Party is

Julian B sword
Black Sword lunar
Boston Fist water
Thomas Spear water
Nora Spear

All around 880+ HP.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh so... I went into the Abyss not knowing that was the point of no return. Despite having some good techs (Doppelganger, Nature's Dance, Triumvirate doing 2k-3k each) I'm getting demolished in the Destroyer's final phase when you start losing HP every turn. Am I screwed? Should I just NG+ and start over? Or can I grind here against the mobs? Party is

Julian B sword
Black Sword lunar
Boston Fist water
Thomas Spear water
Nora Spear

All around 880+ HP.
If the Moon and Water people know their healing spell, that's more than feasible. If Julian and Nora are lacking (since they will be your main DPS), or if the healers don't have enough MP, have a quick go at grinding, and heal back to the source, though it doesn't seem to be necessary.
It is, anyway, a long and difficult battle, you'll probably need a minimum of two healers per turn, maybe three. Strategize smartly.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
If the Moon and Water people know their healing spell, that's more than feasible. If Julian and Nora are lacking (since they will be your main DPS), or if the healers don't have enough MP, have a quick go at grinding, and heal back to the source, though it doesn't seem to be necessary.
It is, anyway, a long and difficult battle, you'll probably need a minimum of two healers per turn, maybe three. Strategize smartly.
Thanks. I was trying to keep HP up with Staff of Vivacity on Nora but I will probably have to boost Julian's MP to be able to heal the fight. Should I prioritize MDEF over DEF here? Genbu Formation or Tiger?

Man this kinda sucks because I'm only fighting weak enemies here on the Abyss...I'm probably gonna run a lot until tougher monsters start showing up.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
So I have never played Romancing Saga 3 before. Played through Saga 1, Saga3 and Saga Frontier 1. Played Romancing Saga: Minstrel's Song and RS2 on switch.

So I finally jumped on RS3. And chose a random male Character... Mikhail and got a tactics game where I died on the second battle. I get the impression that his scenario is different than other scenarios.

Which character should I chose in order to get a more traditional jRPG start? Either Gender works.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Julian B sword
Black Sword lunar
Boston Fist water
Thomas Spear water
Nora Spear

All around 880+ HP.

I'm kind of in the same boat, except with less HP.

Katarina - BSword/Spear (using mainly Waning Moon / Scattered Petals)
Boston - MA/Water/Shadow Servant (but no great MA skills sparked with which to deal damage)
Paul - Bsword/Sword (using mainly Golden Dragon)
Black - Axe/Fire/Shadow Servant (also no great skills with which to do damage outside of an opener with Quick Draw)
Undine - Earth/Lunar (needless to say, my main damage with Hypergravity)

Just got to the abyss, and lasted to the final boss' last phase on a pre-sinistral dry run, but the damage became overwhelming, and I'm still not sure how ward skills are supposed to be feasibly mastered (sparked, sure, but...).

Decided to do the sinistral rematches, naturally, since that's supposed to weaken the final boss (?), and the fire sinistral is destroying my group extremely quickly -- worse than the final boss. Undine is the only person who can do high damage because of the boss' fire shield dealing 500 damage to physical attackers (and hit-all skills being comparatively weak), but even having everyone else heal, the damage is too much.

Difficulty spike is real. Guess I have to either grind for hours or quit.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
For Aunas rematch what helped me was casting Squall twice to change the field to water and I used Dual Dragons / Spear on Thomas and Nora to avoid the Fire Counter. I don't know if it was a bug but Doppleslash didn't trigger his counter either so whenever I could I used that one on Julian and Black.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
For Aunas rematch what helped me was casting Squall twice to change the field to water and I used Dual Dragons / Spear on Thomas and Nora to avoid the Fire Counter. I don't know if it was a bug but Doppleslash didn't trigger his counter either so whenever I could I used that one on Julian and Black.

Thanks for the tips. I have both of those skills, could try.

As for the final boss: you might want to see if you can manage it with Commander Mode (putting your main character in the reserve), especially if you have a high stock of Quality Balms. In that mode, your team heals slightly/is revived every round, and act autonomously, while you can use an item from your inventory (e.g. Quality Balms) every round.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
10 hours ago lol. I'm kinda considering that NG+. I'll see if I can my MP up later tonight. RS3 is Old School like that so no biggie.

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
Finally sparked Meteor Kick. I can finally do some damage. I'm probably going to have to New Game+ as I've been focused on sparking skills and mastering them as opposed to progressing the story.

If I recall correctly, there is a hidden counter that counts the numbers of battles you win and scales the enemies up as you progress, right?
I feel like it's better to level and spark techs in the new dungeon and bypassing the enemy scaling altogether because grinding for that takes a while.

For the final part, it helped a ton to have everyone have some sort of heal like Nightingale or the healing staff and at least 1 dedicated spell healer. Rising Phoenix formation plus a slow tank holding a shield that can mitigate spell damage is really strong.

So I have never played Romancing Saga 3 before. Played through Saga 1, Saga3 and Saga Frontier 1. Played Romancing Saga: Minstrel's Song and RS2 on switch.

So I finally jumped on RS3. And chose a random male Character... Mikhail and got a tactics game where I died on the second battle. I get the impression that his scenario is different than other scenarios.

Which character should I chose in order to get a more traditional jRPG start? Either Gender works.
Anybody except for Mikhail, Sara, and maaaaybe Harid because of the hidden greed counter. I believe Ellen has the most vanilla intro.

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
if i was able to beat the final boss with my setup i think you all can do it too! you gotta beat the other sinistrals then you just need a little luck, (basically, shift or beat the dark mode version before they ever get the chance to cast Abyss or Nightmare, i learned that shifting can be accomplished the first time simply by casting lunar magic!)

my formation was tiger and my group was Khalid Sword (doppleslasher will work on the fire sinistral too), Ellen Axe (Dynamic Chop also!), Undine water/solar (thunderclap and occasional solar healing), Charl Spear (lunar healing and spiral charge, never even got triumvirate!!) and Thomas (water and lunar healing). Everyone was right at 700 with only Ellen at 718 which I think is a little lower than average and made things more dicey. But once I figured out that lunar magic trick it was just a matter of RNG siding with me.

In any case it was very nice to finally finish this game i have been dreaming about since 1995 and was moments away from importing with 120 birthday dollars, certainly lives up to childhood hype. the kawazu renaissance is still the most surreal gaming development of the decade for me, scarlet you're up next~

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
Wait what Lunar magic trick?
when the eclipse happens the first time and the boss switches to the ultra hard for me high attack 'dark' form, i noticed you can get it to switch back to light form immediately by having someone cast any kind of lunar magic. then you only have to deal with that form again near the end when it's 15K or so HP from dying

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
when the eclipse happens the first time and the boss switches to the ultra hard for me high attack 'dark' form, i noticed you can get it to switch back to light form immediately by having someone cast any kind of lunar magic. then you only have to deal with that form again near the end when it's 15K or so HP from dying
OMG THANK YOU!!!!! This did it! Used Tiger Ferocity too and no one died either.

Finally! After almost 20 years I've done this legit!

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Abyss Lords finally done, time to head East. Still trying to figure out who I want as my fifth party member to join Ellen, Charl, Fullbright, and Robin...

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I'm down in Leonid's castle. This place is merciless. I'm winning most fights but I don't always have everyone standing. Luckily, restoring LP in this game is quite easy.

Nov 8, 2017
Oh wait oops. I also have Boston, who is definitely staying. I guess I'm trying to figure out my sixth as a backup or to replace one of those.

Boston: Tiger Break + Shadow Servant is a great thing. He's a bit squishy in the final areas.

Ellen's your main? No point in adding a 6th then. Personally I find epées underpowered compared to 1-handed swords and the top martial arts techs, so maybe Robin gets the boot?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the final boss of the Phantom Maze. Is the final boss of the game about the same or more difficult?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Just to be sure, the OP mentions 'touched up versions of the original sprites'.
They havent fucked them up with awful filtering like they did the FFVI and Chrono Trigger (before it was fixed) have they?