• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Romancing SaGa 3 |OT|

PecRAV9.jpg

Release Date: 11/11/2019
Developer: Square/Akitoshi Kawazu da gawd
Publisher: SquareEnix
Genre: JRPG
Platform(s): Switch, PS4, PSV, XB1, W10, Steam, iOS, Android
Price(s): $28.99/£27.99/¥3500/€31,99 (20% Launch Discount until 12/04/19)

NaXkeUd.jpg

A Tale I Shall Sing For You

Once every 300 years, the Rise of Morastrum—an event where the dark star blocks out the sun—threatens the very existence of our world. All born in that year are doomed to perish before its end. Whether man or beast, none have a chance at survival.

However, there came a time when a sole child did survive. He was entranced by the power of death, using it to conquer the world. He came to be known as the Archfiend. Yet one day, he simply vanished.

Another 300 years passed, and again a child defied fate. She did not give in to the same powers that controlled the Archfiend, and came to be known as the Matriarch.

It has been nearly two decades since the previous rising of Morastrum, and 300-odd years since the appearance of the Matriarch. Humanity now stands at the fulcrum between hope and despair.

Will there be another child of destiny? Will the child be righteous, evil, or another force that the world cannot fathom?

oY3VZmA.jpg

What is this:
Romancing SaGa 3 is the sixth game in SquareEnix's long running SaGa series, which itself was a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy II and all it's self flagilating glory. It was originally released on the Super Famicom in 1995 and has only since been released on Wii and WiiU's virtual consoles in Japan. This thus marks RS3's first home console and portable release in the west, which is a big deal for one of Square's big SNES-era RPGs to be left officially untranslated.

The game itself is an open ended RPG set in a land caught in a brutal 300 year cycle of the Morastrum, a sudden mass death that has historically resulted in the appearance of great saviors of the land or great evils from those who survive the mysterious series of deaths. Rather than sticking you with one character who is definitely the survivor of said events, you are given a selection of characters who live in the world around the time that such a savior or fiend arises following the mass deaths. Each character will experience the same general events from varying perspectives, allowing you a significant amount of variation as you unravel the mysteries of the world and the devastating Morastrum.

VW2H5vT.png
O3iLE77.png

What Can I Expect:
-From A Certain Point of View: Romancing SaGa 3's story is told from the perspective of multiple characters, bringing in a great deal of replayability as each of the game's core 8 protagonists witness the events of the game in a differing fashion, though everyone will ultimately hit most of the same major story beats.

-An Open World: Romancing SaGa 3 very much has the same open ended gameplay the series eventually became known for, giving you many different ways to approach your adventure. Much of the game's world is open for you to explore from an early point, with new areas opening up as you explore the world and talk to the expansive cast of characters populating the world. All that truly will limit your ability to explore will be your own limitations.

-A Game of Characters: Unlike the generic class-based characters from the previous game, Romancing SaGa 3 is full of a wild array of recruitable characters with a vast array of quirks to be had between them. Aside from your traditional stable of JRPG character archetypes, RS3 goes wild with some fun characters, including a superhero and his chonk of a copycat fanboy, an elephant, a snowman, a lobster, and more.

-Classic SaGa mechanics: the SaGa games (SaGa/FF Legends 3 aside) drop the traditional level based gameplay of the genre and instead base your development on the actions you take in combat. Equip and use a sword? Get better at sword fighting and get a little more buff while you are at it! Learn to chuck a fireball and go crazy doing that? You become the best fireball wizard ever and probably learn a thing or two in the process.

-The Glimmering Spark of Hope: Improving your skills with weapons/martial arts/spells won't just improve your ability to use those items. Characters who improve a skill will find themselves learning new techniques in battles with the spark of inspiration being represented as a flashing lightbulb before their new attack goes off.

-Formation Based Combat: Returning from Romancing SaGa 2 is the Formation system, which let's you change how your party is positioned in combat as a means of altering their statistic.

-Life Points: Running out of HP isn't the death of your character! On top of your hitpoints, all characters have Life Points, which represent their overall lifeforce. Losing all your HP will cause a character to lose LP, as will subsequent hits to an unconscious character. As long as you still have LP, your heroes will recover all their health at the end of every combat. Run out of LP, and your character be be lost from the party. If your protagonist runs out of LP, then it's game over!

-Know Your Role: While levels are gone, as is the general class system from RS2, RS3 gives you the ability to tweak your starting protagonists' specializations by choosing a starting class and a specialty.

-A Clash of Kings: Depending on who you pick as your starting character or ultimately recruit, you may gain access to the game's strategy minigame, where you pit your army vs an enemy army and try and outwith them through basic but clever strategic manuevers. A certain selectable character also sees this expanded into a sidequest relating to them ruling over their own kingdom.

-Capitalism HO!: Other starting characters also have access to a trading mini-game, where you try and buy out other trading firms.

N10c4Ua.png
To8Bssl.png

What's New:
Most immediately, this game features revamped visuals, with HD backgrounds, a new UI paired, touched up versions of the original sprites, and animated boss sprites. In addition, the game also features four new dungeons, a new scenario, a new mechanic, two classes, and a New Game+ mode to carry all your stuff over to a new game. If you have played RS3 before, now's a good as time as ever to jump back in. If you've never played it before, now's a better time than ever!

OM0XvYV.png
okEEOLN.png

Why should I care:

If you are coming into this already hating SaGa games, this game won't likely change your mind, but please give it a shot anyway. As none of the other Romancing SaGa games made it out of Japan at the time, this being a later day Square SNES game that wasn't as high profile as a Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger effectively doomed it to be passed over for a western release. While a fan translation has been available for years, it was never a full and polished experience. This is the first time RS3 has been officially AND completely localized and given a wide release outside of japan. It's thus mildly important from a gaming history standpoint. Likewise, it was generally a well regarded game in its own time, so it's nice for the west to get a chance to officially experience the game in all its Kawazu glory.

w1RACtW.png
xsdteAd.png

FAQs (more to be added)
Q: Do I need to have played the other SaGa games/the other Romancing SaGas?
A: No. Each SaGa game is effectively its own contained story, often in their own self contained setting. As with Romancing SaGa 1 and 2, the linking fabric here is the presence of the mysterious Bard character.

Q: SaGa games can sometimes get pretty different from game to game. Which ones does this mostly resemble?
A: Romancing SaGa 3 features selectable main characters with differing storylines, but don't expect it to be dramatically different as the scenarios in Romancing SaGa 1 and SaGa Frontier 1 do. All characters ultimately experience the same core story, but from differing perspectives and with different subplots available to them.

Q: Do weapons degrade here like in other SaGa games?
A: They do not!

Q: Do I need to beat myself up to get stronger in this one?
A: No. Stop asking. That wasn't even a good strategy in FF2.

Q: Is Akitoshi Kawazu really the best?
A: Yes

FAoRsYD.png

Do it for him

Q: Is there really a lobster party member?
A:
b0xehNY.jpg

gqb5kih.jpg

MEDIA

NBOlWLv.gif

vFqMEIy.jpg

przetbL.jpg

kiXpHiU.jpg

72KSLIU.jpg

5z2RTjP.jpg

Resources (more to be added)

SaGa Project Website
The Romancing SaGa 3 Shrine (designed for the SNES version and uses old fan translated names, but it is otherwise a helpful and exhaustive resource for a lot of the game's intricacies)
NA eShop
NA PSN
NA Xbox/Windows 10
Steam Store Page

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite SaGa game. I'm definitely buying again.

Curious to see the extent of the bug fixes in this release :) Are we still be able to sell the Royal Ring for money or clone Seven Star Sword?

Tomorrow is a holiday where I live and I planned to play a bit during the night but it seems it isn't up on the eshop. Guess it's not a midnight release.

Great OT!

Stupid question, any romance subplots in this?

There are some but they are not the main focus. Two of the main protagonists can also end up together in their ending.

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow is a holiday where I live and I planned to play a bit during the night but it seems it isn't up on the eshop. Guess it's not a midnight release.
If it's not up now, I guess that means it'll either be up at midnight PST in a few hours or noon EST later on. Steam is saying the later for it, but it could be otherwise for the others.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely Sagacious! So lovely of them to still release it on Vita as well. Can't wait to dig into this one.

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Those amazing magazine scans also highlight the neat fact that this long belated worldwide release is dropping right on the game's 24th anniversary. Of course, I'm glad we aren't having to wait for the 25th anniversary!

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Is it as obtuse as 2 can be, where grinding can make the game overly difficult?

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
I'm really happy that this is finally coming over. I'm looking forward to starting up and floundering around a few times before I settle on a main protagonist.

A couple notes for players new to this game:
1) Characters gain levels in weapon skills and magic skills, but their core stats never change. A character that has poor Strength will never hit as hard as someone with high Strength.

2) If you've played SaGa Frontier, you may be familiar with the idea of the physical and magical crowns. If a character focuses exclusively on either physical attacks or magic, thay can get a permanent trait that looks like a crown on their status screen. This reduces the costs of either physical or magical skills by one. But by exclusive I really mean exclusive, and hybrid characters are still quite good to have, so this path isn't for everyone.

3) Don't be afraid to mix up your party and try new formations. Just because something works at first doesn't mean there aren't better strategies to experiment with.

Anyways, good luck to all of you giving this a try for the first time. You'll need it.

In the meantime, I'll be trying to see if I can ever make it further in RS2. The Seven Heroes are cruel foes indeed.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I still consider SaGa/FFL 2 and SaGa Frontier 2 to be the pinnacle of the series. How close is this one to either of those, gameplay-wise?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
If you approach SaGa games with the need to know how everything works, you're going to have a bad time. Kawazu's philosophy is that there should be some aspects of the game that the player shouldn't know how they work, and they should just play and observe the effects of the various systems and adapt. This game isn't as harsh as some of the other games where you can gate yourself entirely out of things by raising your battle rank too high, so just play and enjoy it.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
It's also less likely you will screw yourself in a corner in this one as the harder events only open up when the game decides that you are ready for them.

Still if it's your first time playing I wouldn't pick Monica or Sarah as the protagonist.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
How difficult is this game? From what I've gathered, grinding (essentially lowering the difficulty) isn't really a thing in these games. I've never played SaGa so I'm super curious, but I'm not really interested in a hard JRPG right now, especially an old school one since it'll likely have some... Old school sensibilities I've kind of moved past by now.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
I've always been interested in the series based on the art, but have never played any of the games. For those who have played it, how difficult is this game? There's no traditional leveling, but it's been mentioned you can level up skills. Is it possible to grind to victory like the Dragon Quest series?

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Also, if the NG+ mechanic is as forgiving as the RS2 remaster's version of it, you always have starting over but retaining your character progress as an option if you do manage to hit a wall.

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been interested in the series based on the art, but have never played any of the games. For those who have played it, how difficult is this game? There's no traditional leveling, but it's been mentioned you can level up skills. Is it possible to grind to victory like the Dragon Quest series?
You *can* grind, but it is typically not in your best interest or particularly necessary.

How difficult is this game? From what I've gathered, grinding (essentially lowering the difficulty) isn't really a thing in these games. I've never played SaGa so I'm super curious, but I'm not really interested in a hard JRPG right now, especially an old school one since it'll likely have some... Old school sensibilities I've kind of moved past by now.
There's a bit of a learning curve and you can end up hitting a wall if you play too carelessly, but the remaster gives you at least one option to ease the background mechanics that can make things more difficult.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It's also less likely you will screw yourself in a corner in this one as the harder events only open up when the game decides that you are ready for them.

Still if it's your first time playing I wouldn't pick Monica or Sarah as the protagonist.
Definitely do not pick Sarah as your first character. Monika is not terrible, but her stats are low so it's a bit more difficult than the others might be. I'd also caution against picking Mikhail as a first character, because he has some complicated/difficult sub-games he has to participate in.

Kawazu himself recommends Julien, Ellen, or Khalid. I personally think Thomas is also a great character to start with.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I've added the money to my eshop and I'm waiting for it to appear! Between this and Mana Collection it's been a great year for retro Square goodness.

move not played much of this series so I'm going on pretty oblivious lol

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
You *can* grind, but it is typically not in your best interest or particularly necessary.

There's a bit of a learning curve and you can end up hitting a wall if you play too carelessly, but the remaster gives you at least one option to ease the background mechanics that can make things more difficult.

Thank you. Now to decide which platform to get it on. I wonder how it plays on the iPad, it seems to be the cheapest there at $22.99 in US. For the Xbox/PC version, does buying that allow you to play and carry saves across the 2 platforms?

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Hoping this does well enough to where after the other one next Month we get HD ports of the Saga 2 and 3 remakes

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I've read that a few mechanics are bugged in the original version (some classes affecting the learning rates of weapons that they shouldn't affect?). Wonder if that changed.

Oh well, I will give it a go again. Never managed to finish it before.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Oh tempted to get this. I only have experience with SaGa Frontier 1/2, how does this compare? Also whats the typical play time?

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna pick this up. Hopefully the Steam version is solid, I recall complaints that RS2's had a somewhat iffy UI?

By typical JRPG-standards it's a very open-ended game. There are guides that'll help explain stuff, show you all the characters, lead you through the game in a linear fashion, etc., but here's what I did or noticed in the original:

1) Have a backup save somewhere like a town that I kept up-to-date.
2) Generally if someone can be a playable character they'll stick out immediately, I don't think there's a ton of unique character sprites that aren't also playable. Despite that I did a quick browse through the different playable characters anyway to see what their pros and cons are and if there's anything "tricky" about getting them to join. Depends on how blindly you want to go through the game really.
3) The game allows for common sense on whether an enemy or area is appropriate for your power level or not. If you run into encounters that are constantly taking out characters or are pretty much impossible to beat then it's almost surely a sign that you need to go somewhere else.
4) Usually the game isn't too difficult if you have a good distribution among your characters. As mentioned characters have things they're better and worse at, but you get a party of five and they can equip multiple weapon/magic types, so spread things out a bit to cover your bases.
5) I generally found the combat mechanics straightforward enough that experience and prolonged exposure will give you a good idea of what's going on. You can sorta screw yourself if you don't put any effort in, but you don't need to min-max or grind or anything.

I assume this has had various QoL improvements and content changes/additions though, so it might actually be a little easier.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WHY DID I GO TO SLEEP

LET'S GO

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
it's bad enough when EU gets fucked in the $=€ department, but whatever I'm used to it... but €>$ is hilarious.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I liked what I played back in the day on emulators. Sure minimal story but loved the music, and the scenarios were interesting. Will buy this on the Switch to finally support the game with nice improvements.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't even know this was coming out so soon. It's one of the few games I picked up used (in box) when I visited Japan a few years back, so I'm definitely picking this up.

Any reason to go through RS2 before this? I played a few hours but was honestly overwhelmed by the systems in play.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I desperately want to play a SaGa game with more faithful character art and modern Final Fantasy proportions (not necessarily full realism). The character art is amazing.

I won't be playing it anytime soon, but it's really hard to resist the 20 percent off this game is right now. ... I might just jump on it.

If I would offer advice to anyone, it's that there aren't actually that many quests in the game, and the ones that are available can have high difficulty jumps. Try to do everything.