• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Blade 2 isn't in the top 10 and Blade 1 isn't on there at all…

Pretty much the worst list I've ever seen.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder Woman at 9? It was a cool movie, but I can think of about twenty better superhero movies. Ten in the MCU alone.

Hambulance

Oct 30, 2017
I mean they are allowed their opinion, but lol no

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Number one is whatever, but I feel like people massively overrate Spider-Man 2 just because it was good for its time.

There have been much better superhero films, and better Spider-Man films, since then.
I disagree, I rewatch Spider-Man 2 quite often and it's still better than most other superhero films, with the possible exception of Into the Spider-Verse.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I have to say, I truly don't see the turnaround on Black Panther anywhere but on Era. Casual conversations, social media such as Twitter, and so on: Black Panther always comes up as a top tier MCU film, even with some issues in its final battle.

It's kind of blowing my mind.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I have to say, I truly don't see the turnaround on Black Panther anywhere but on Era. Casual conversations, social media such as Twitter, and so on: Black Panther always comes up as a top tier MCU film, even with some issues in its final battle.

It's kind of blowing my mind.

You're not weird at all, this is the same case for me.

Black Panther had a clear impact on people who don't give a shit about marvel movies.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
That top 10 actually ain't bad. I'm shocked.

The only films I don't think should be in there are Wonder Woman and Endgame.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
You're not weird at all, this is the same case for me.

Black Panther had a clear impact on people who don't give a shit about marvel movies.

I think about this video a lot when conversations about Black Panther's relevance comes up. I remember this going viral back in 2018 and when my partner at the time and I saw it, it hit us pretty hard as two white people who never had to worry about being represented in our 30+ years on this planet.

That shit is important. So like, yeah, Black Panther isn't my favorite superhero movie of all time. I personally wouldn't put it at #1. But when people are shocked or laughing at the fact that it is number one on a list like this? That's wild.

20 years from now, there's a very good chance that Black Panther is still making top 5 in these lists.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No Civil War in the top ten? Still the best Marvel film imo with IW and Ragnarok not far behind.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
If you're gonna put fucking Robocop on this list, on any list, and not have it ranked orders of magnitude higher than any throwaway Marvel bubblegum bullshit, then there's something wrong with you.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I probably need to give black panther another watch. I was tired when I watched it and fell asleep through most of it.

My top five would probably be into the spider verse, the dark knight, Thor Ragnarok, Infinity War, and GoTG

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah let's just ignore teenage mutant ninja turtles and Batman 89 is ranked so fucking low it's absurd

Oct 25, 2017
BP is #1 for impact and I'll take it. May not be a lot of comic book movies with black protags but BP, Spider-verse, and Blade 2 being up there make me smile.
Also,
I didn't go to theaters but Batman Beyond Return of the Joker should be on this list !!!!

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
All and all, not that bad since I can at least see the logic behind the decisions and despite individual rankings I don't agree with, I don't think it's nearly as egregious as some people are taking it.

It's kind of worth it to see how pissed off people get over their one favorite movie being snubbed for not being higher or the movie they hated getting praise.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Robocop is a superhero movie and number 22?

if it qualifies to be on the list then really it should be number 1.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Phantasm should be way higher and why is Dark Knight Rises even on there? And where is GOTG2?

Also it's bizarre to me that Strange 1 is before Strange 2.

Kinda feels like they hit a randomised after doing the top ten.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Endgame and Ragnorok really don't deserve to be top 10 and Black Panther does but probably not number 1 (although, yeah, I get it). I'd probably sub in Guardians Vol. 2 and Lego Batman. Or the original Avengers if we're going for cultural impact, which does seem to be their guiding principle for the list.

Actually, looking at the full list they have the original Avengers near the bottom and below Dark Knight Rises?!?! Insane. Insane and unhinged. One is the definitive blockbuster of its decade and the other...well, the other is Dark Knight Rises.

There are also a couple of entries here that really blur the line of being called a "superhero" movie. The Old Guard? V for Vendetta? Really? Shouldn't the first Kingsman qualify then, and be automatically in the top 10?

Although, I am glad to see Tank Girl here even if she should be much higher.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
There are parts of Black Panther that are brilliant. There are also parts that indulge in the worst Marvel tendancies. Number one is far too high.

Honestly id put Into The Spiderverse at 1.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are parts of Black Panther that are brilliant. There are also parts that indulge in the worst Marvel tendancies. Number one is far too high.

Honestly id put Into The Spiderverse at 1.
Agreed. Into the Spiderverse is a flawless movie, IMO. Black Panther and Wonder Woman were important but flawed movies with a weak ending.

fancyarcher

Oct 29, 2017
I mean it's clearly a list designed for some serious clickbait, even if I do understand opinions and all, but Robocop not even being in the top 20 is something I can't get behind.

Oct 27, 2017
Black Panther at #1 in the genre entirely can and obviously should be debated as there's a handful of films that are equally as good or better but it is, certainly, the best MCU film and the only MCU film that has any thematic substance.

Ryan Coogler is on another level compared to the rest of the MCU's directors and the casting, scripting, sound design and editing in Black Panther reflected that.

Love the fact that the film's success and it's universal critical acclaim triggers so many people still to this day.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
There is a real big disconnect between internet denizens and movie and cultural critics when it comes to Black Panther. For instance, most critics might acknowledge the poor CG fight in the third act, but not care about it, with respect to the overall effectiveness of the movie in delivering its themes and message. It was a cultural phenomenon for a reason, after all.

I've been in many a Black Panther thread here at ERA, espousing its greatness many times. Hell, my avatar is Brak wearing a Black Panther mask in front of the waterfall scene of the movie. I'm more than okay with it being considered #1. It's the only movie I've seen in the theater FIVE TIMES, so I'm in the tank for it. And, for my money, it's the only movie on this list with anything of substance that spoke to me. I will never forget that feeling of awe, pride, and "feeling seen" that this movie gave me, and it's intrinsically linked to my thoughts and feelings on this film. And if I'm anything like other critics, these reasons are possibly why they regard this movie so highly, unlike what the "Internet" seems to feel.

Take that as you will.

Perfectly stated. Couldn't agree more.