• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The Batman under a movie like Tank Girl that was a giant mess? Black Panther with its awful 3rd act over Into the Spider verse and The Dark Knight?

This is an awful list.

Oct 28, 2017
Since they decided to count Scott Pilgrim as a superhero movie, it is criminally low on the list. Under The Old Guard!? Get the fuck out of here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Lmao what the fuck at number one. I like it and it's definitively top 10, but number one ??? Switch number 6 with it and i'm good tbh.

BP as number 1?What a joke.That spot is reserved for TDK.

I don't understand comments like this.

Like, not putting Black Panther at #1 on your own list is understandable. It wouldn't be on mine. Buy to act shocked when it's #1 on a list list this? Did you forget how acclaimed that film is, the fact that it was nominated for Best Picture and how important it is culturually on a worldwide scale?

Black Panther is and always will be remembered as one of the top superhero movies ever so it shouldn't be weird if a magazine puts it at #1.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I agree with the popular view here that Into the Spider-Verse should be #1. That's the closest one out of all of these to basically do everything beautifully. Almost all the others have at least one glaring, klaxon flaw but I'll be fucked if I can think of one for Spider-Verse. Except the name, maybe, it's pretty goofy.

Oct 27, 2017
There is a hell of a lot wrong with this list. How the hell Tank Girl, The Old Guard, and Ghost Rider made it onto this list baffles me.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Spider-Man 2 is still a GOAT and my personal favorite so it being in a top 5 is good with me.

EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
I don't understand comments like this.

Like, not putting Black Panther at #1 on your own list is understandable. It wouldn't be on mine. Buy to act shocked when it's #1 on a list list this? Did you forget how acclaimed that film is, the fact that it was nominated for Best Picture and how important it is culturually on a worldwide scale?

Black Panther is and always will be remembered as one of the top superhero movies ever so it shouldn't be weird if a magazine puts it at #1.
BP is mid at best, imo.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Knight not being #1 invalidates this list by default.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Lists like these only show how mid superhero movies are.

Still, this is some list.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Of course I do. I know more about the Oscars than the vast majority of people alive. I've been following the Oscar race for nearly 20 years. I've seen every Best Picture nominee (not winner, nominee) except the one that is lost and the one only available in the UCLA film library.

Pixar/Disney are hard to beat in animated. Winning best animated film is still in no way better than being nominated for Best Picture overall. You can be both. 3 animated films have been up for Best Picture. Spider-Verse was not. It wasn't even in contention that year. It wasn't even nominated for any other categories aside from Animated Film. The same year Black Panther was nominated notably. They specifically chose Black Panther over Spider-Verse.

Spider-Verse was notably helped by the Pixar and Disney movies that year being the solid but somewhat underwhelming sequels to Wreck It Ralph and Incredibles as well. I'm glad it won, it's my favorite film of that year. I like it more than Black Panther. But that doesn't mean this is a surprising choice.

So you're saying you're an expert

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I think if we are going for quality then there wouldn't be any MCU films in the top 10.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
If they're gonna be weird and put Robocop on this list then it should be number one. It's so much better than anything else on this list.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
1. Endgame
2. The Dark Knight
3. Black Panther
4. Ragnorak
5. Guardians of the Galaxy

That's my top 5 as somebody who just watched through the entire MCU over the past two months.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Batman being worse than Tank Girl is enough for me to disregard the rest of the list.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
TDK not being in the Top 5, hell Top 3 is weird. But Spider-Man 2 is, so I'll allow the list.

My list is pretty simple.

1. Spider-Man 1 & 2.
2. Nolan Bat Trilogy.
3. Spiderverse.

And I don't really care about the rest. They can land wherever. Maybe Donner Superman gets fourth simply due to its achievement, but it's not really a set of films I religiously rewatch.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
After their recent Greatest Rap Albums of All Times debacle, I wasn't expecting much from this list. It seems they gave more credents to their cultural impact rather than how good the actual movie was hench why Endgame would rate higher than Infinity War. We all know which was the better movie.

I know it's controversial but Watchmen (movie) should be in there somewhere. Maybe not top 10 but somewhere decent placed.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I know it's controversial but Watchmen (movie) should be in there somewhere. Maybe not top 10 but somewhere decent placed.

Watchman was a good movie stimied by the fact that it came out 5 years earlier than it should have. The public just wasn't primed for superhero films like that yet.

I will die on that hill.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Watchman was a good movie stimied by the fact that it came out 5 years earlier than it should have. The public just wasn't primed for superhero films like that yet.

I will die on that hill.

It also needed to not be directed by Snyder and be a HBO series as opposed to a movie. And no, I don't mean the series we got which I did not like.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
number one is one most overrated CBMs of all time.

Edit: LOL at Homecoming being highter than Infinity war.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther is good, but they siced it too much lmao

Spider-Man 2 & Spiderverse are both above it IMHO

EDIT: BP is mainly good for what it meant (culturally and for Marvel), so I can see it being high up for meaning. And in the same vein, I can see Endgame being more meaningful than Infinity War, etc.

Last edited:

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017

I will die on that hill.

You are not alone in that statement.

I'm not ashamed to tell people that it's my all time favourite Superhero movie. I love their reaction when I casually drop it in a conversation like this.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I love Black Panther but the final fight was wack

My top 10 would probably be:

1. Infinity War
2. Into the Spider-Verse
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. The Dark Knight
5. Spider-Man 2
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
7. The Batman
8. Thor Ragnarok
9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
10. Captain America: Civil War

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Black Panther is awesome for many things it represents or contains within it, but I don't think as an actual movie that it's anything special. Pretty standard hero origin film, IMO, with all of the things that come with that.

I wish like hell Chadwick had gotten to do another movie as main character, because there was so much room to grow.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse is the best superhero movie ever made and anyone who disagrees is just straight up wrong (in my opinion lmao) and honestly, Endgame isn't even the best Avengers movie. I'd choose Infinity War or even the first Avengers movie over Endgame almost any day of the week lol

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse is the best superhero movie ever made and anyone who disagrees is just straight up wrong (in my opinion lmao) and honestly, Endgame isn't even the best Avengers movie. I'd choose Infinity War or even the first Avengers movie over Endgame almost any day of the week lol

I'm glad people are willing to admit this now.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
#1 has to be bait. They want the outrage and clicks.

Yep. Not a bad film by any stretch but.....you get down to it pretty serviceable and not "great". Even in the top 2 dark knight gets shafted a little bit. I was ready to be pissed about Spiderman 2 but the creator knows what they're doing. Glad to see Incredibles high what a wonderful film. Besides the clickbait great top 10

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Pretty boring list outside of Tank Girl and Infra-Man. Hellboy 2 and Batman are weird exclusions. Doctor Strange and Ant-man are way too high.

I would have liked to have seen more off-the-wall stuff on the list like Danger Diabolik, Toxic Avenger I/IV, Special or They Call Me Jeeg.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I've been team Infinity War over Endgame since day one. Infinity War is just so much better, so much more entertaining and is such an outstanding movie from start to finish while Endgame primarily has the second half carrying the entire movie if we're being real

Even the second half is...questionable.

The villain is sapped of all the pathos and history that made him engaging if somewhat problematic.

The movie is an exercise in franchise inevitability, fan service, and auto-fellatio.

A good time, but not the top 10.

Yep. Not a bad film by any stretch but.....you get down to it pretty serviceable and not "great". Even in the top 2 dark knight gets shafted a little bit. I was ready to be pissed about Spiderman 2 but the creator knows what they're doing. Glad to see Incredibles high what a wonderful film. Besides the clickbait great top 10

Black Panther is a movie with a stellar first half with a "mid" second half carried entirely by the high of the first.