• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther is Not better than Spider-Verse or Spidey 2. The last third of BP is awful. Endgame sucks and IW is 100% better

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
They should have called this list "We pulled 50 superhero movies out of a hat and arranged them in random order. Number one will SHOCK you."

Oct 26, 2017
#1 is obvious bait, but I welcome it for the culture. Spider-Verse at 6 is bullshit. Way too low.

Spider-Man 2 is still too high

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Also, I'm a fan of the movie and all, but what is Scott Pilgrim doing here? It may be a comic book movie, but it's not a "super-hero" movie.

Teusery

May 18, 2022
Spider-verse should be in the top 3, incredibles should be in the top 5, black panther should be at the bottom of top 10 at best

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther at #1? I enjoyed the movie a lot and you can't deny its impact when it came out, but that movie has some serious flaws. The Killmonger vs T'Challa fight at the end is terrible. It'd be somewhere from #10-20 for me, but definitely not top 5 much less #1.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll applaud them for including Into the Spiderverse very high up there and letting Megamind, Rocketeer and Unbreakable to be in the list as well, but there's a lot of wacky things here.
- Infinity War not in Top 15
- I can see the argument for Black Panther deserving Top 10, but as #1?
- 1989 Batman gets placed on the backend, lower than LEGO Batman. Crazy.

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017
I've only seen like half of these movies, but V for Vendetta is the only one I would say is good. (And Robocop!) I liked Spider-Man 3 more than 2... At least it made me laugh!

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
If we're counting The Crow as a superhero movie, that'd be my number 1. That list is all over the place for my personal favorites.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
#1 has to be bait. They want the outrage and clicks.
100% I know they put Zack Synders Justice League in the bottom slot to drive those fans to the site to spread their outrage. (I wouldn't even put it on a list of 100 movies).

Is Black Panther an important movie? Yes, yes it is. Is it a good movie? It's okay.
Is it the best superhero movie ever? No, it's not. The whole back half is terrible.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a cultural impact movie list or a quality one? BP would not even be in my top 5 we're talking actual quality of the content.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Superhero movies must not be very good if that is the best the genre has to offer.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Has any other movie on that list been nominated for best picture other than Black Panther? Makes sense it being number one.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
No Dredd? No Sin City? No 300? No Watchmen?
But they have Justice League, Tank Girl, Ghost Rider, and X-Men: Days of Future Past on there…

Bad list is bad. Like, hilariously bad. Dredd not being on there at all, let alone not being in the Top 10, is enough to trigger me.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
i approve of top 3

-End game is a bad movie, replace with Infinity war.
-Replace Superman with Ironman

and you have a pretty solid list

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Oof, Dark Knight Rises wouldn't make my top 200 superhero movies, and I'm not sure I could make a list of 200.

That being said as someone who likes Dr Strange and Ant-Man more than most, I'm happy to see them here.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Infinity War probably gets a huge boost for its ending in particular (and its first scene really). And it also has the benefit of, to a large extent, introducing the biggest bad in the franchise so far (I know Thanos appeared earlier but in IW he's like an actual character who does things - a lot of things).
Sure, I guess for my part once they announced that it was going to be two parts, it became obvious what was going to happen at the end of the movie and that it wouldn't matter because they were going to undo it in the next movie, undercutting any emotional weight it might've otherwise had.

The end of endgame on the other hand.... probably the most emotional moment of the entire MCU.

I don't think that IW is a bad movie, for the record, its certainly way better than alot of other MCU movies. I just assumed that the fan consensus had Endgame with a slight edge.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Homecoming is way too high. The action was horrendous especially the final fight. No way is it better than The Winter Soldier or GotG1.

Top ten is alright. Would replace WW with The Winter Soldier.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Superhero movies must not be very good if that is the best the genre has to offer.

To the extent that they're largely stories about people wearing goofy costumes and battling evil they have a somewhat limited ceiling, though the best of the movies has yet to match the best of the comics, partly because it's a relatively much newer genre in the medium.

There's nothing in the movies with anywhere near the philosophical depth and thematic complexity of something like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (and I think all of his other adaptations suffer in the translation to screen), but it'll get there eventually. And sometimes the goofiness is very enjoyable.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I like Black Panther a lot, but come on. Any movie with a third act as bad as Black Panther's isn't the best superhero movie of all time.

Logan has a similar problem. Great movie for about 80% of the runtime, but the third quarter of the movie is markedly worse than everything before and after it.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Black Panther but to have that film ahead of TDK is madness. Logan is great but wouldn't be in my top ten either

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Solid list. I'd mainly move Avengers 1 into top ten. Scott Pilgrim higher. Switch Homecoming with No Way Home.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
In regards to Black Panther, I think it deserves its spot, but I get the adverse opinions.

For me, is BP is a great movie? Not quite, although this isn't a controversial take for me because I don't think most of the MCU films are great movies. The MCU sits at around a C+ average for me, grading the films. Most of the films aren't that great.

BP is helped, though, by the fact that it was a creative departure for the MCU at the time. And, without it, there are several films on the list that wouldn't have been made. BP signaled to Feige that there was a market for MCU films that branched off from what was the hardened formula at the time.

That's my hot-take, at least. ymmv

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
In regards to Black Panther, I think it deserves its spot, but I get the adverse opinions.

For me, is BP is a great movie? Not quite, although this isn't a controversial take for me because I don't think most of the MCU films are great movies. The MCU sits at around a C+ average for me, grading the films. Most of the films aren't that great.

BP is helped, though, by the fact that it was a creative departure for the MCU at the time. And, without it, there are several films on the list that wouldn't have been made. BP signaled to Feige that there was a market for MCU films that branched off from what was the hardened formula at the time.

That's my hot-take, at least. ymmv

Yeah, there's no denying that BP basically blew the fucking doors off inside Marvel in terms of what they were willing to greenlight. That's not to say all of the projects are successful or even good, but BP absolutely opened the path for the MCU to actually start to experiment with its formula and start to really go out of its way to be adventurous with its casting decisions.