• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Had an alert set for this but as it came closer to air date and when I eventually got the Netflix message, I had pretty much lost interest in this. Also have not been hearing great things.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People on Twitter surprised Rashida Jones is black...

Bitch her name is RASHIDA JONES. RASHIDA. JONES.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I ended up binging the whole thing last night and absolutely fucking loved it. But i also absolutely fucking love Blackish and Mixedish.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People on Twitter surprised Rashida Jones is black...

Bitch her name is RASHIDA JONES. RASHIDA. JONES.
I mean she's pretty much shrugged black thought and identity her whole career. She's literally Zoe Saldana. Surely it isn't hard to see why people would be weirded by the sight of her wearing box braids and speaking ebonics.

This show looks terrible. Lots of white people gonna use this as a dissertation. Going to find out real fast why Dear White People was titled the way it was.

Oct 25, 2017
every other line in this show:
white PEOPLE
white people are CRAZy
I HATE white people
we are black
black PEOPLE

how is this enjoyable to literally anyone

Oct 25, 2017
Started watching this tonight, and the parenting jokes are on point. Haven't watched network TV in forever, so I didn't see Blackish. It's nice to watch a sitcom on Netflix.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I mean she's pretty much shrugged black thought and identity her whole career. She's literally Zoe Saldana. Surely it isn't hard to see why people would be weirded by the sight of her wearing box braids and speaking ebonics.

This show looks terrible. Lots of white people gonna use this as a dissertation. Going to find out real fast why Dear White People was titled the way it was.
She's gotta walk around in a daishiki or something for people to know she's black? What white women would be named Rashida? C'mon lmao.

Oct 26, 2017
You wanna criticize the show for colorism? I'm with you on that but wtf is this nonsense?

Last edited:

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm four episodes in and I feel like the most I've seen any dark-skinned black people in this show is during those teaching moments where they show black people suffering.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Zoe Saldana decided to be Nina Simone when it was convenient for her, but when has she ever identified as a black woman before that role?
She said she was color blind a few years ago.

& no offense to everyone else that responded to me. But I'm not going to respond to people exaggerating my point and then telling me to relax.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
that was a boring show. i watched one episode and noped out. if you're gunna use the Curbed formula, but leave out the humor? George Lopez tried that already and failed too

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's known for years that Rashida is a black woman, it is whiplash-inducing to see her in a role like this.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel like Rashida Jones's two most famous roles were playing white women in "The Office" and "Parks and Rec".

I also lost a google fact check challenge when someone told me she was black. In my defense, I thought the name "Rashida" might have been some kind of Middle Eastern origin.

So yeah I can see how some people might be surprised when they learn her ethnicity.

As for the show, I hope it's good because my wife and I have been binge watching Black-ish and we've really liked it.

Last edited:

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
I gave the pilot episode a shot hoping it would find its footing or land a few good jokes, but this feels like some meandering late season Curb Your Enthusiasm combined with the forced, predictable humor of the (American) Office. The 30 minutes felt like an hour.

I'm out.

Last edited:

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I kinda feel like Rashida Jones's two most famous roles were playing white women in "The Office" and "Parks and Rec".

I also lost a google fact check challenge when someone told me she was black. In my defense, I thought the name "Rashida" might have been some kind of Middle Eastern origin.

So yeah I can see how some people might be surprised when they learn her ethnicity.

She literally played a Karen on The Office. If someone doesn't know who her dad is they would likely assume she's white.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think people would know Rashida Jones is black if they didn't look it up. Her most well known roles have never tapped into that part.

Anyhow. I find the show funny. I dunno. I wonder if it's all us non-black people watching. It's hit top 10. Was thinking about how I enjoy this but I don't wanna watch fresh off the boat.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

I mean Zoe Saldana decided to be Nina Simone when it was convenient for her, but when has she ever identified as a black woman before that role?

Are you at all aware of the difficulties mixed race folks deal with from all sides? A LOT of mixed race people go through periods of identity confusion and denial and it's not usually through ignorance but through what society puts them through nearly entirely on the basis of skin tone and features.

I don't remember much about Zoe's comment other than it being dumb and it's fine to roast her for making that statement but this "when has she identified...?" stuff is ridiculous. Especially when she's Dominican and Puerto Rican which may come with their own cultural bias and stigmas.

mc emcee

Oct 27, 2017
Show takes a while to get rolling but it finds it's identity in episode 2. Episode 1 is by far the weakest. For all those who are out, check out episode 5. Definitely the standout .

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people would know Rashida Jones is black if they didn't look it up. Her most well known roles have never tapped into that part.

Anyhow. I find the show funny. I dunno. I wonder if it's all us non-black people watching. It's hit top 10. Was thinking about how I enjoy this but I don't wanna watch fresh off the boat.

I do see how the first couple of episodes could be cringy. But I'm curious if people who made it a few more episodes and still don't like it are young non-parents. All of the children are awesome, and compared most family sitcoms, they are killing it.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda enjoying the show? Seems like Kenya is like the weak link here. I'll finish the season, so I'll see how i like it.

& no offense to everyone else that responded to me. But I'm not going to respond to people exaggerating my point and then telling me to relax.
That seems like a bit of a stretch.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about comparing Rashida to Zoe.
oh yeah, that's fair.

I don't think Rashida Jones herself said anything that dumb but I'm not surprised people didn't think she was Black before this show. I honestly didn't know myself until that whole thing with her dad being candid in an interview that happened a few years back.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
every other line in this show:
white PEOPLE
white people are CRAZy
I HATE white people
we are black
black PEOPLE

how is this enjoyable to literally anyone

Yep. Exactly on point. I'm sure a lot of people on this forum will disagree without having watched but 4 episodes in it's literally this with a few laughs sprinkled in. I maybe had about 3 good laughs sprinkled over those episodes. It's Blackish but more pandering and less funny. It's really trying it's hardest to bait fragile whites to be mad but underneath that bait it's just not a good show.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the sitcoms. Shows like Insecure and Atlanta are just shows, that happen to star black people, which is what they should be
Agreed. I was gonna include it in my original post but Insecure and Atlanta are completely different in how they present the black experience. And it probably has to do with the creators being from a different generation.

Oct 26, 2017
I watched the whole show yesterday and found it pretty good. Mostly just the way Kenya talks to everyone, especially the young kids, cracked me up. But by the later episodes you really get a sense of how self aware the show is. Also great reading through the thread and seeing people comment on things that later episodes address directly.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the whole show yesterday and found it pretty good. Mostly just the way Kenya talks to everyone, especially the young kids, cracked me up. But by the later episodes you really get a sense of how self aware the show is. Also great reading through the thread and seeing people comment on things that later episodes address directly.

I wanted to call my kids dickheads today, but my wife vetoed.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I just finished watching the first episode. This is essentially a carbon copy of black-ish, with a hint of Modern Family since it's filmed like a documentary. The older two daughters are like Zoey, Pops is just like Junior in that they're both unpopular at school, Izzy has a dark edge like Diane, Jo is just like Bow where she needs to brag about her career (just swap doctor for lawyer), and Kenya is like Dre.

I get that when it comes to writing, you should write what you know, but this has all already been done by Kenya Barris. Does it get better? Does it differentiate itself at all?