• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
You know if this was on steam I bet it'd support DS4 controllers.

Haven't had to use this DS4 fix app in ages.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Might have checked some solutions... But one way I fixed my black screen issue with some unity and unreal games was to stop any programs with overlay. So disabled my discord overlay, my geforce recording overlay and it worked.
Unfortunately didn't work. I'm convinced it has something to do with my media player encodes causing issues with intro cut scenes specifically in Unity games for some reason.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
My impressions from a pre-E3 hands-on event, complete with screens taken from my gameplay session: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...ere-ubisofts-fun-f2p-answer-to-rocket-league/

The above gallery will tell you mostly everything you need to know about how the game looks and plays. Flashy, clear character designs whip around an oval skate track at high speeds, all vying for possession of a ball that must be carried or tossed all the way around the track at least one full lap before it can be "scored." Tossing the ball into a single hoop, hanging on the side of the track, will score your team that point, or you can try to keep possession for another lap or two to increase your shot's score value. Lose the ball, and the lap-count resets for the other team. First team to five points wins.
Exactly how the game will function as a retail product remains unclear, beyond confirmation that Roller Champions will be a wholly free-to-play game whenever Ubisoft decides to launch it. (No release date has yet been announced outside this week's free demo.) Will its microtransaction economy be wholly cosmetic? We didn't see any hints of items that can be used within a match, thus suggesting that we won't see Candy Crush-like "speed-up" unlock tokens. But we also didn't see hints of in-game progression that can be earned solely by playing and winning.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
demo wasn't fun for me. they missed the mark on re creating the fun of rocket league which is in skill and physics. auto shooting and auto passing is not it chief. also tackling and dodging is about as deep as a puddle (who hit the button first?) oh well.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Played a couple of matches (can't find any new ones right now for whatever reason). It has the potential to be fun, however the tackling system is way too easy. But so is the dodging in most situations. But I guess you could avoid all of this by passing the ball correctly to your teammates. Aiming for a goal doesn't seem too tough, although I yet have to score on my own.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even finish a full match. It was missing something.

Felt like I was playing forever any only 4 minutes had passed.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Wish they did more betas for consoles. Haven't turned my PC on in a hot minute.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Played a couple matches and for the most part I like it a lot. Wish you could choose your own character rather than it being random but meh whatever. Wish I had the track to myself in offline mode so I can mess around.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played one match and had no idea what I was doing
I want to like it though :/

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Played a couple of matches (can't find any new ones right now for whatever reason). It has the potential to be fun, however the tackling system is way too easy. But so is the dodging in most situations. But I guess you could avoid all of this by passing the ball correctly to your teammates. Aiming for a goal doesn't seem too tough, although I yet have to score on my own.
Yeah your game experience is 100% reliant on people actually passing the ball frequently and playing as a team. That just practically never happens with ransoms and so many games become a bit too boring.

Maybe it's me but this game concept on a football field would be a lot more exciting.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This game is fun but no one knows how to shoot the ball lol! They just run with the ball until someone tackles them.

I think the tackle system needs work. It's very easy to tackle someone and there's no way to counter it other than passing the ball to someone else.

Things that should be added:
  • A way to counter a tackle
  • Maybe a punishment/cooldown on missed tackles
  • Trick system that increases speed when pulling off a combo
  • Better pass system

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Played one match. A couple guys got the ball halfway around the track once or twice. I got the ball and took it around the track 3 times without getting touched. Scored a five pointer and the game ended. I guess I'm the #1 Roller Champions player in the world?

But yea the auto passing and shooting and dodging system combined with how the roller arena is set up for going up and down the sides doesn't seem promising at all in the freeform way Rocket League is.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I can't play the game, I'm getting like 5fps even on low. I have an R9 390, it's a bit old but it should be able to handle this a lot better.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had fun first match. We won 5 nil, but I am playing with a Switch Pro controller and had trouble remembering remembering the face button set ups lol.

Any way to replay the little tutorial? This feels pretty fun.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who found rocket league too hard to even do a basic task like hit the ball, I appreciate the easier ball handling. But by the end of the second match I pretty much had my full. This feels more like a fun mode to a larger game than a 'thing' on its own. Though who knows. It is a beta for a reason. And maybe with people - myself included - who know what they're doing it would be more interesting?

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
Having a whole lot of fun so far, but that may be because I'm going 3-0 at the moment. Feels nice to go around blocking rivals away from the ball, but it was even cooler dancing around them with my teammates' passing game. Actually shooting the ball into the net feels a bit weird, though; the projected arc is way lower than my actual throw.

Side note: It's absolutely wild to see 'The Knife - A Tooth For An Eye' in the game's playlist.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so this is fun. I am finding passing and trusting teammates to be really effective vs trying to be the hero. Kinda digging the rhythm of it all.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game is fun but no one knows how to shoot the ball lol! They just run with the ball until someone tackles them.

I think the tackle system needs work. It's very easy to tackle someone and there's no way to counter it other than passing the ball to someone else.

• Better pass system

When you have the ball you can spin away from tackle attempts. I do agree with the putting a cooldown on tackle attempts though, and improving the passing system.

Game is fun, but stresses me out when my teammates neither pass or dodge tackles.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
I played a lot more of this than I thought I would last night.

It's not as deep as Rocket League, but it's closer to an arcade sports game like Blitz or NBA Jam. Because a good player can generally only do so much to dodge tackles (especially from two people), teamwork is really critical to put up points, either by clearing the way or (especially) by passing to move the ball around the track faster. A well-coordinated team is significantly harder to deal with than people not playing together. Even when people aren't calling out to get passed to, you can use the shoot as a sort of pass as well. You can practically pass the ball halfway around the rink this way to punish people over-committing, even when you don't have line of sight. It's less shallow than it appears at first glance.

It's an exciting game when it starts clicking and the competition is fairly matched. Because there's always the possibility of one score sealing the game for either team, you're never completely out of it, and the comebacks I've been able to manage felt great. One-sided matches feel crappy if you're on the receiving end, though, since a better, more coordinated team can basically make it impossible for the other team to play. Tackling one person over and over can be very effective (I've done it sometimes when it seems like the other team only has one really good player), but can also mean that person just spends all their time sprawled on the rink.

There are lots of aspects of this that are clearly pre-alpha things needing to be fixed (let us skip goal replays!), but the biggest is that the game needs to do more to reward teamplay. Right now it feels like the game only extrinsically rewards scoring goals, even though good passing and tackling is essential to making that possible.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Wish there was an offline mode to practice scoring, completely fumbled it the first time i tried
Game is fun, but stresses me out when my teammates neither pass or dodge tackles.
I have the opposite problem, teammates keep yelling for passes despite being behind me or standing still just to ask for the ball. When theyre not asking for passes nonstop they pass to no one around the bend when no one is open causing the ball to be picked up by anyone.

Oct 27, 2017
Finally actually got to try it today after it being broken yesterday and I'm not super impressed unfortunately. It's no Rocket League that's for sure. It's not instantly fun, takes a good 4 to 5 games before you hit your stride, and by 10 games in you feel like you've mastered it. There doesn't seem to be as much room for creative expression in the gameplay either.

My biggest issue with is is how clunky, and ubisoft like, the physics often feel and how weightless a lot of the tackling and jumping etc feels. The pumping is also a big let down as someone who loves good pumping in videogames, the skate series in particular, this doesn't scratch that itch very well because of how janky the physics often feel. Conservation of momentum feels rather unpredictable, jumping rarely feels like a good idea, and ultimately where I was imagining crazy airborne future sports with a lot more airborne gameplay this feels super grounded and is more roller rink than future sports right now.

Add to that the passing being this unenjoyable autoaim thing where the autoaim feels unpredictably janky and passing doesn't get you points and isn't incentivized at all and it becomes even shittier. If I wasn't playing this with a m8 I'd prolly hate it. I also question the decision to make the aiming arrows grey and low opacity because they can be quite difficult to see in certain conditions.

I also think the dodge is overpowered because it's fairly easy to spam since it has very little cooldown and invincibility frames during startup so it makes you a right nuisance to tackle for most players, which actually often leads to a single player solo skating three laps while spamming dodge, never passing, and scoring a game ending goal which isn't very exciting.

I don't think it's terrible or unredeemable but I think this public pre-alpha thing might have been a bit premature because what's available right now certainly isn't that amazing gamefeel wise.

Last edited:

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Played for about an hour last night, and found it pretty fun. I think there's a lot of potential for customization, but do think the game needs fine tuning.

Namely, my friend and I agreed that the pausing after every goal to show the replay and reset everyone breaks the flow. They should just have everyone continue skating as they are and spawn a new ball since it's random anyway. They can show a replay for the match winning goal at the end then.

Played a couple matches and for the most part I like it a lot. Wish you could choose your own character rather than it being random but meh whatever. Wish I had the track to myself in offline mode so I can mess around.
That'll come, this is a super early test that is meant to get feedback on the core gameplay.

• Better pass system
Hit X (same button as tackle) and you do a dodge. I do agree a bit longer cooldown between tackle attempts, right now you can use it as a boost as well.

I wonder if you can use the aiming for shooting for manually passing, to try to bounce it around the higher parts of the arena to then get to a teammate on the other side.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the demo. Not quite Rocket League but it's fun in a different way. I can see it being way better with 2 friends instead of fandoms. Glad it's F2P...

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Played quite a bit more today. Still fun, but man can it create some salt. lol

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
Still finding it a blast after 2 more hours of playtime. That may be because I've only incurred a few losses in that time (one which was a downright thrashing). The rest of the time was half spent eking out close wins and half routing the opposition. Probably says more about the game's matchmaking than my own abilities; more than once have I seen a player from my last match ending up in the next one. Maybe the talent pool just isn't that big in my region.

Also, I'm still in awe knowing that a song by The Knife is in this game's official setlist. Sure, it is one of their biggest singles, and the band itself no longer exists, but it makes me happy to know that a new group of people are going to be exposed to their music for the first time.

Wish there was an offline mode to practice scoring, completely fumbled it the first time i tried

Here's hoping a practice mode appears come the next public test. I still can't figure out how to apply much control over my shots; whenever I hold the shoot button, my character's movement feels locked in place, and I couldn't line my shot in a different direction once that shoot button is held down. Might just be an issue with using KB+M, but I don't have a gamepad prepped to test that theory.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Played some more today and I have to say this game gets incredibly fun once you have a full grasp of the controls and you have a team that works like... well a team. lol

Here's hoping they have more tests down the line. I'm in.

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
Played some more today and I have to say this game gets incredibly fun once you have a full grasp of the controls and you have a team that works like... well a team. lol

Here's hoping they have more tests down the line. I'm in.

Game was so much fun when everyone on the team had a good idea of how to approach getting possession and scoring.

Spent a good chunk of last night playing several games with a random duo; even without a real way to talk to them, it seemed we all knew how to keep control of different corners of the rink, when to pass to unmarked teammates, and when should we try for second/third lap goals for the extra points. Every match was a delight, even including the few that ended in defeat.

Hope they'll still be around come the game's next round of testing (if it happens).

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Easy Allies talking about Roller Champions. Huber's enthusiasm is infectious as hell. Love it!