• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razlo

Oct 31, 2017
Putting this here since the discussion got closed on the recent topic about this due to gross video sources.

This is from the devs themselves:

Looks promising!

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Are they allowed to just straight-up use Monkey Ball footage in their Indiegogo video? Lol.

Looks like an interesting project.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing sexual harassment over a series of posts while ignoring mod warning.
OT: Very disappointed that we can't even mention him.

"Couldn't you discover the game elsewhere?" No, look at the views on the video and how much they got so far from the campaign, the game is basically unknown (and it was unknown for me until an hour ago) so i think he's doing a good job with the video at promoting the game, which sounds very promising.

/OT

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This looks cool and all, but it wouldn't be the first Spiritual Successor to fail terribly at capturing the original game's essence. Super Monkey Ball games aren't easy to design as shown by the terrible sequels the original duology got.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Note for anyone donating that this is a flex goal IndieGogo, they're getting your money whether or not the project succeeds.

This is very much a passionate fan who just wants to make what Sega seemingly will not. I feel like some of the elements are definitely a little too close to SMB though, the goal banner and all that. As much fun as a carbon copy of SMB would be, they definitely need to make it their own a bit. Especially if Sega doesn't feel like being super charitable with how many elements he's copied.

Will you stop already?

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
OT: Very disappointed that we can't even mention him.

"Couldn't you discovered the game elsewhere?" No, look at the views on the video and how much they got so far from the campaign, the game is basically unknown (and it was unknown to me until an hour ago) so i think he's doing a good job with the video at promoting the game, which sounds very promising.

/OT
Dude, drop it. You want to be known as the person who died on this hill?

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I'd love a new Monkey Ball game, this just looks like borderline plagiarism.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looks too blatant a copycat for me to get behind it.

My biggest question from the video is definitely "what does it do to differentiate itself from monkey ball". Level editors and online multiplayer are great, but they're not really what I would play a monkey ball game for. It's actually a really difficult thing to add sensible iterations to, as seen by segas numerous attempts and failures to keep the series fresh. I'd need more reason to not just dig out my monkey ball 1/2 discs.

Platforms? Please tell me this isn't PC only.
PC and switch was mentioned according to the other thread, might be a stretch goal.

edit: Yeah switch is mentioned as a potential stretch goal, but it's not got a value attached to it or really any sort of committal.

Maybe add the indiegogo to the op ?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rolled-out-a-love-letter-to-super-monkey-ball#/

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
What I want is the Trackmania of Super Monkey Ball.

Multiplayer where you can see everyone else but without collision, custom levels where everyone is competing to time attack them as fast as possible, everyone has ~5 minutes to get the fastest time, then moves on to the next level.

I want the star wars_metallica of Super Monkey Ball

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Lol, even the sound effects sound ripped straight from Monkey Ball.

I'll admit that a true Super Monkey Ball 3 is one of my most wanted games I've ever wanted so I really hope for this game's success. But they haven't quite inspired enough confidence in me to actually help fund it.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why are people asking for it to differentiate itself from Super Monkey Ball? We're here because we want more Monkey Ball.

Oct 28, 2017
My biggest question from the video is definitely "what does it do to differentiate itself from monkey ball". Level editors and online multiplayer are great, but they're not really what I would play a monkey ball game for. It's actually a really difficult thing to add sensible iterations to, as seen by segas numerous attempts and failures to keep the series fresh. I'd need more reason to not just dig out my monkey ball 1/2 discs.

PC and switch was mentioned according to the other thread, might be a stretch goal.

edit: Yeah switch is mentioned as a potential stretch goal, but it's not got a value attached to it or really any sort of committal.

Maybe add the indiegogo to the op ?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rolled-out-a-love-letter-to-super-monkey-ball#/
Yeah not gonna get excited until Switch gets a firm confirmation.

Nov 23, 2017
Do the people who think this is a clone avoid all br games, or any spiritual sequel (Dangerous Driving) or anytging revived by different publishers, or so on?

Not everyone can just play their GameCube or Xbox anymore...I'd probably not respond this way if smh deluxe was backwards compatible for x1 but it isn't. Having a game like this easily obtainable on current gen platforms is great for the fans of the original.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I freakin love Monkey Ball (the first 2 games anyways) and this looks like those. Physics look on point. And it has a ferret.

This makes me happy.

Saks for ost

Oct 27, 2017
Oslo

Multiplayer where you can see everyone else but without collision, custom levels where everyone is competing to time attack them as fast as possible, everyone has ~5 minutes to get the fastest time, then moves on to the next level.

Yup, me too.

I suppose Marbe It up! is the nearest we have come so far, very good game, bu more alike the excellent Kororinpa for Wii.

Online leaderboards and made for speedrunning the tracks.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/864060/Marble_It_Up

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Just came across this. I'm in the boat of 'I'll buy it if it ever actually comes out' because it's so close to SMB that I feel like Sega might take action..

It just got funded at 20k, but it looks like they raised it to 25k after if hit.

EDIT: It is at least doing some stuff to differentiate, like the anti gravity and the mines. Wonder what other things they'll come up with.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
The game is funded. The people have spoken. We want more (good) Super Monkey Ball! Excited to try out the beta whenever that rolls around.

Just came across this. I'm in the boat of 'I'll buy it if it ever actually comes out' because it's so close to SMB that I feel like Sega might take action..

It just got funded at 20k, but it looks like they raised it to 25k after if hit.

EDIT: It is at least doing some stuff to differentiate, like the anti gravity and the mines. Wonder what other things they'll come up with.
The goal was always 25k afaik.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They should do a stretch goal for Monkey Target.

OT, there used to be a free Monkey Target clone called Mtp Target that was on PC and had online multiplayer but the servers are down, shame, it was a lot of fun.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
The game is funded. The people have spoken. We want more (good) Super Monkey Ball! Excited to try out the beta whenever that rolls around.

The goal was always 25k afaik.

Ahh, I must have read it wrong.
I'm definitely not touching this until it's a tangible product, but I'm definitely happy it passed

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018

Oh my god. This is the greatest idea for a video game I have ever hear.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I enjoyed the campaign of SMB, Monkey Target is where the game shined for my friends and I. We spent countless hours taking turns trying to one-up each other and nail that peg. Fantastic party game.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I don't game on PC but if this comes close to the amount needed to consider a Switch port I will most definitely back. I'm glad they're just straight up ripping off SMB as well, too many spiritual successors to dead franchises try to differentiate themselves to avoid being viewed a clone and end up worse as a result.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting more games like SMB but this is bordering on plagiarism in some places.

blund

Oct 28, 2017
I have a nasty suspicion that they've ported a lot of the code. Can't shake it. Feels icky.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Looks like one of the character artists got banned from the game project because she accidentally called the main character by "he" when it's a non-binary character.

So, I was working on that @RolledOut game as a Character Artist, but I just got banned from the project.

The reason? Because I refered to the character I was working on as "He", but the character is nonbinary, even tho I was not aware of it.

PS: There was no NDA.
It was even kinda Ironic, because once I learned about the Nonbinary detail, I actually tried to suggest for it to be visually represented on the game or characters, instead of just being told to the player.

But according to the lead, I already had gone "too far" with my mistake

Seems like Brandon apologized though which is nice. Apparently they thought that the character designer made adult content too but it turns out that she mades models and people use them for various purposes.

The character looks freaking adorable.

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

There's Mindball, but there's collision with other balls.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
If they nail the gamefeel I am all over this. They look to be well on their way. I'd love to see what they do with the minigame stretch goal. I guess Yakuza has me covered for bowling and billiards but I'd like to see them all featured here if possible. Monkey Dogfight please?

I'm glad they're just straight up ripping off SMB as well, too many spiritual successors to dead franchises try to differentiate themselves to avoid being viewed a clone and end up worse as a result.
I completely agree. All I want is a game worthy of being called Super Monkey Ball 3 -- whether it's actually called that or not.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hate to necrobump, but Rolled Out! is going into early access in a few weeks.

I was lucky enough to have the chance to try this game a couple months ago and it's the real deal, folks. Most fun I've had playing a game in this style since Monkey Ball 1 and 2.

Last edited:

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
Rolled Out

Chaotic Taxi

what's next to come out in the Sega doppelgänger fan game genre?