• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
So before the Steam sale ends, are there any hidden gem roguelikes on there I should look into? I've got Qud, ToME, Cogmind, etc. but am curious about more obscure or weirder stuff.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up Monolith on sale on Steam the other day... I've really been missing out, it's fantastic.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So before the Steam sale ends, are there any hidden gem roguelikes on there I should look into? I've got Qud, ToME, Cogmind, etc. but am curious about more obscure or weirder stuff.
A lovecraftian horror roguelike that does some cool aesthetic things with ASCII

giphy.gif

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Has anyone been playing Unexplored 2 EA recently? I'm curious how it's been. I've been playing around with the first game and it's really cool and man... 2 looks absolutely gorgeous visually. I hope it turns out good. Legacy system sounds neat as well.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
You are both right, of course. I was thinking that I don't want to lose interest in the game before the final content is out, but I can always just... Take a break if I feel like I'm burning out lol.
Like other games in the genre, you'll likely find yourself coming back to it year over year or every other year and falling back into it even when you think you've had enough. That's precisely what's happening to me with it right now. LOL Have fun! :)

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone been playing Unexplored 2 EA recently? I'm curious how it's been. I've been playing around with the first game and it's really cool and man... 2 looks absolutely gorgeous visually. I hope it turns out good. Legacy system sounds neat as well.
I've been playing. Most recent update has improved it a lot, but they haven't really added the thing that made the first game so good - the dungeon algorithms. Mostly been overworld and large structure work so far, but I think they've put preliminary dungeon work in. If there's something specific you wanted to know I can probably answer it though.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm normally not one that enjoys the genre much. I've bounced off of Rogue Legacy, Dead Cells and Gungeon hard. But at the same time I've fallen in love with Hades.

Any suggestions on games I should look into? I have Katanakami in my library which I think falls into the genre.
I don't enjoy most roguelite. I bounced off the games you mentioned. Games in the genre that I enjoyed besides Hades which is easily the best: Void Bastards, Synthetik, Sundered, Until You Fall (VR only) and Isaac.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ya'll roguelike newbies should have a look at Caves of Qud, it's pretty beginner friendly and really fun. More on the RPG side than the twin-stick shooter side as well.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
So there is Door in the Woods.... Are there many other Lovecraftian Roguelikes?

Edit: This thread has just reminded me of Stonesoup .... I need to get that awesome game again.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Star Renegades became my crack the past few weeks, a lot of QoL changes already made since release and more to come, don't sleep on it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Like other games in the genre, you'll likely find yourself coming back to it year over year or every other year and falling back into it even when you think you've had enough. That's precisely what's happening to me with it right now. LOL Have fun! :)

Yeah, for sure! I mean, I'm not even particularly new to the game - I've played a solid amount of it on Switch and Playstation in the past - but I've still somehow managed to put like 15 hours into it after my initial post about it lmao. The relatively short runs and the way you're almost constantly getting radically different item combinations makes it incredibly addictive.

vgp

Oct 31, 2017
I see a lot of posts about Caves of Qud. At first I didn't care, but with all this praise, I may be interested now :)
Anyway I see the game is still in early access on Steam (since 2015). Does someone know when we can hope for a final release ? I don't play early acces game (even they arleady have a lot of content) as there enough good finished games to wait for final versions.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Alright I'm going in!

epWMNpj.png
yesss. This is a great lineup of games. All so different and satisfying and good. (I haven't played LUS but I can speak to the other three at least). Cogmind and Door are pretty self-explanatory, but this tutorial for UnReal World is really good if you find it a bit dense.
I see a lot of posts about Caves of Qud. At first I didn't care, but with all this praise, I may be interested now :)
Anyway I see the game is still in early access on Steam (since 2015). Does someone know when we can hope for a final release ? I don't play early acces game (even they arleady have a lot of content) as there enough good finished games to wait for final versions.
Qud is roguelike-style early access in that it's essentially a fairly complete game that they just keep adding more stuff to, like Cogmind and Dwarf Fortress and UnReal World. It's not really incomplete in the way you might think of as EA. That said, you can see the Roadmap here.
I've been playing. Most recent update has improved it a lot, but they haven't really added the thing that made the first game so good - the dungeon algorithms. Mostly been overworld and large structure work so far, but I think they've put preliminary dungeon work in. If there's something specific you wanted to know I can probably answer it though.
Aah gotcha, thanks. I do hope it gets there! The original probably does the best job of capturing the feel of a roguelike in an ARPG context of anything I've played. It's really neat.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Aah gotcha, thanks. I do hope it gets there! The original probably does the best job of capturing the feel of a roguelike in an ARPG context of anything I've played. It's really neat.
They literally pushed an update yesterday! Played for an hour and plan to play more today, but the accompanying post lists some new features which are really exciting! Magical weapons, sigils for enchanting, skills learned based upon deeds, and deeds based upon emergent events and actions your perform. Also beginnings of faction favor and relationship systems.

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I Love!!! these games, My favorites are Hades, Dead Cells, Enter The Gungeon, blazing bleaks, but there are so many great ones, i think i have like 20 of Them on Switch.

I bought nuclear throne yesterday, its very Hard but a ton of fun.

I think i Will pick Up darkest Dungeon and children of morta next, is that a good Choice?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I Love!!! these games, My favorites are Hades, Dead Cells, Enter The Gungeon, blazing bleaks, but there are so many great ones, i think i have like 20 of Them on Switch.

I think i Will pick Up darkest Dungeon and children of morta next, is that a good Choice?

Nuclear Throne is a ton of fun, if you stick with it you'll find some great arcade greatness after you manage to loop.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Darkest Dungeon is positively amazing. One of my favorite roguelikes, although the "rogue" component is relatively light as there's a lot of overall progression and surviving characters remain between "runs". Still an incredibly unique and fun game.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So any case any Cogmind players have missed it, there's this amazing web utility called Cog-minder now which is basically a very user-friendly catalogue of all parts (equipment) and NPC bots with various levels of spoiler-friendliness. Super handy, and even just fun to play around with theory crafting zany builds.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
So any case any Cogmind players have missed it, there's this amazing web utility called Cog-minder now which is basically a very user-friendly catalogue of all parts (equipment) and NPC bots with various levels of spoiler-friendliness. Super handy, and even just fun to play around with theory crafting zany builds.
Wow, this is really cool. Also making me really realize how barely I've scratched the surface of this game! Cogmind might be my favorite classic-style roguelike I've ever played, honestly (though I'm not a super veteran).

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow, this is really cool. Also making me really realize how barely I've scratched the surface of this game! Cogmind might be my favorite classic-style roguelike I've ever played, honestly (though I'm not a super veteran).
Oh yeah, I just reached 50% achievements at 126h played over 3 years. There's still a whole bunch of stuff I've never seen myself. I think I've won once or maybe twice. Hasn't always been the goal either though.

It's also crazy how detailed the scoresheets are, and all runs get uploaded unless you block it.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Slasher's Keep released, got sucked into it for a few hours. Great game so far, love the aesthetic (though the animations are sort of ugly). Lotta interesting lil mechanics going on too.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Slasher's Keep released, got sucked into it for a few hours. Great game so far, love the aesthetic (though the animations are sort of ugly). Lotta interesting lil mechanics going on too.

*googles*
Wow, the game is mesmerizing to look at. The issue with animations is that they used a mixture of traditional frame-based animations, and paperdoll Flash-like animations, which is what makes it look cheap, but that can be solved easily by making the latter's movement "ratchet-based" instead of completely smooth. I hope they realize that and change it.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
*googles*
Wow, the game is mesmerizing to look at. The issue with animations is that they used a mixture of traditional frame-based animations, and paperdoll Flash-like animations, which is what makes it look cheap, but that can be solved easily by making the latter's movement "ratchet-based" instead of completely smooth. I hope they realize that and change it.
Yeah. I doubt it is going to change, it just teleased from early access after being in development for like 6 years. Overall though the art is cool

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Ooh this looks very neat. The pictures didn't convince me, but the environment looks lovely in motion. Will give it a wishlist for later.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Just bought Cogmind. Do I need to know anything going in? Or can I just play without outside info and figure things out?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Just bought Cogmind. Do I need to know anything going in? Or can I just play without outside info and figure things out?
Yes you can figure things out on your own, and I highly recommend not looking at too much. That said, one of dev's tutorial vids might help get you accustomed to the interface and some basic systems.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that somebody in here had linked this before, but I'm too stupid to find it, so thanks to them if they did.

Anyway figure it out yourself is fine or there's this from the dev that I found very helpful about how everything worked.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I uh mostly got roguelikes in these black friday sales lmao. I got:
  • Wazhack: Very cool concept for a roguelike.
  • NEO Scavenger: Rad as hell
  • Golden Krone Hotel: Really neat coffee break RL
  • Approaching Infinity: Haven't got deep in but this has the potential to be really awesome
  • Haque: I haven't booted this one up and also I realized after I already owned it from the itchio blm bundle whoops. Tip for the devs I suppose.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up Diablo 3 for the first time ever, a few months ago, on preparation for the XSX. Hoping to start it in the next few days.

Picked up Risk of Rain 2, for my XSX, and my God, do I hate this game with a vengeance lol. Playing on drizzle and it's still too damn hard lol; I need an umbrella. The most I managed to do, was to get through the first teleporter, and run around the second world a bit. Still, it's addictive as hell, and picked up some really useful items...

Edit: also going to buy Hades at some point.

Last edited:

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
I've been on a very heavy kick with Risk of Rain 2. Always loved this game but some stuff finally clicked and I'm doing pretty well on Monsoon. Learning to rush the teleporter early on was a good strategy.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
The worst part about Risk of Rain 2 is that runs can be absurdly long when you get the right item combos. I didn't like it the first three or four times I fired it up because everything felt bullet spongy, but then I began getting some nice pickups and began to enjoy myself.

Then I got an op combo and my run lasted a loooooooooooong time. Too long. Way too long.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I uh mostly got roguelikes in these black friday sales lmao. I got:
  • Wazhack: Very cool concept for a roguelike.
  • NEO Scavenger: Rad as hell
  • Golden Krone Hotel: Really neat coffee break RL
  • Approaching Infinity: Haven't got deep in but this has the potential to be really awesome
  • Haque: I haven't booted this one up and also I realized after I already owned it from the itchio blm bundle whoops. Tip for the devs I suppose.
Haque is awesome and I have never heard anyone talk about it.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Recently finished the game on Insane (rogue-like mode) in Tales of Maj Eyal: https://te4.org/characters/106938/tome/b125cfd6-3a74-410f-91c5-c2f167b30fdc

and it felt so good, though the build felt downright broken lol, last 2nd half of the game I actively healed only twice - never felt as strong and unkillable in any of the runs/builds I played before.

Not counting rogue-lites, ToME is basically the only proper rogue-like I could really get into it (the lack of stuff like hunger/thirst/w-e probably helps) and I just can't get enough of it. Insane replayability over the years. Finished the game on Normal (<150 hours), Nightmare (<300 hours) and now Insane (<600 hours). Every time I try another rogue-like I always feel like I'd rather go back to ToME.

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
Recently finished the game on Insane (rogue-like mode) in Tales of Maj Eyal: https://te4.org/characters/106938/tome/b125cfd6-3a74-410f-91c5-c2f167b30fdc

and it felt so good, though the build felt downright broken lol, last 2nd half of the game I actively healed only twice - never felt as strong and unkillable in any of the runs/builds I played before.

Not counting rogue-lites, ToME is basically the only proper rogue-like I could really get into it (the lack of stuff like hunger/thirst/w-e probably helps) and I just can't get enough of it. Insane replayability over the years. Finished the game on Normal (<150 hours), Nightmare (<300 hours) and now Insane (<600 hours). Every time I try another rogue-like I always feel like I'd rather go back to ToME.

One of my favorite games of all time. I've played 300+ hours and never beaten the game. I've only unlocked 23 achievements lol

may I ask what build did you use?

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019

ToME is absurdly good and the amount of content you get for the price is bananas. What a game.