• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Those Qud reviews and discourse in the review comments... Yikes.

Why is alt-right so entwined with edgy chan humor. Why is the garbage ideology so popular with the youth? This is rhetorical, of course...

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Bought it blind in the PS4 Halloween sale - West of Dead

Really enjoying it. It's the only Rogue like game I've played so I can't speak to that aspect.
Set in the Afterlife of the Old West, you, as Ron Perlman, set out to unravel the mystery of who you are, why you died, and get revenge.

I guess it's been out about a year so apologies if it's already been discussed.

West-of-Dead-feature-image-252x336.jpg

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
So what is going on with caves of qud? Totally out of the loop.

Youtuber with a toxic community plays the game as a racist stereotype, the fans buy the game and excitedly flood the forums/discord and the devs push back by banning the shitposters. There's a few negative reviews moaning about politics but barely enough to make a blip. Some even from long time players who got upset that the devs actually care about inclusiveness. A bit sad to see a game review record get polluted thanks to the attention of some popular racist youtuber.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Youtuber with a toxic community plays the game as a racist stereotype, the fans buy the game and excitedly flood the forums/discord and the devs push back by banning the shitposters. There's a few negative reviews moaning about politics but barely enough to make a blip. Some even from long time players who got upset that the devs actually care about inclusiveness. A bit sad to see a game review record get polluted thanks to the attention of some popular racist youtuber.
Not to mention that CoQ has been really good with gender pronouns for all the different species in the game from the start.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It never ceases to be funny to me that the same people who call others snowflakes get extremely upset when a piece of media dares to be inclusive. Hissy fit after hissy fit when something isn't catering exclusively to you anymore.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Really enjoying it. It's the only Rogue like game I've played so I can't speak to that aspect.
Set in the Afterlife of the Old West, you, as Ron Perlman, set out to unravel the mystery of who you are, why you died, and get revenge.

I didn't know about this and it looks absolutely fantastic, instantly wishlisted!

It also gives me very strong Hades vibes, which is great. If you haven't given Hades a try, perhaps have a look at it because it would probably be right up your alley, on top of being an incredibly and universally acclaimed game.

Man, that sounds like such a nightmare scenario. I would much rather have my game languish in obscurity than having it propped up by racists. :S

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I didn't know about this and it looks absolutely fantastic, instantly wishlisted!

It also gives me very strong Hades vibes, which is great. If you haven't given Hades a try, perhaps have a look at it because it would probably be right up your alley, on top of being an incredibly and universally acclaimed game.

Hades looks great and is on my list - just waiting for the eventual PS4 or PS5 version.

vgp

Oct 31, 2017

How far are you in the game ?
I played it with pc gamepass and I was very enhtousiast with the visuals, the ambiance. I also found the gameplay interesting and quite innovative. But I get bored very fast because the progression is very slow and moreover I don't find any difference between each run. It lacks very specific items / abilities.

Currently playing neon abyss. Which gave me the exact opposite sensation. I start by thinking the game is too classic and deja vu but very fast you have new items or abilities and it becomes fun. I didn't remember having so overpowered run since isaac.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
How far are you in the game ?
I played it with pc gamepass and I was very enhtousiast with the visuals, the ambiance. I also found the gameplay interesting and quite innovative. But I get bored very fast because the progression is very slow and moreover I don't find any difference between each run. It lacks very specific items / abilities.

Currently playing neon abyss. Which gave me the exact opposite sensation. I start by thinking the game is too classic and deja vu but very fast you have new items or abilities and it becomes fun. I didn't remember having so overpowered run since isaac.

I'm about halfway through. I think your complaints about the progression are justified. There are a variety of abilities, weapons and charms but they do take quite a long time to unlock and I have yet to feel overpowered but I like the game play so much I don't mind. I'm really having a good time with it - I just bought the DLC last night. Just an extra level but I wanted more.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Interesting and noted; I played Neon Abyss' demo and indeed found it a bit same ol' same ol', so I'll keep an eye on it given your comment.

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
I'm normally not one that enjoys the genre much. I've bounced off of Rogue Legacy, Dead Cells and Gungeon hard. But at the same time I've fallen in love with Hades.

Any suggestions on games I should look into? I have Katanakami in my library which I think falls into the genre.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm normally not one that enjoys the genre much. I've bounced off of Rogue Legacy, Dead Cells and Gungeon hard. But at the same time I've fallen in love with Hades.

Any suggestions on games I should look into? I have Katanakami in my library which I think falls into the genre.
Might like Children or Mortal; it's another heavily-story-driven roguelite

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Can't stop playing Spelunky 2, send help! I sometimes quit to go do something else because I'm super tilted after a few bad deaths or cursed seeds in a row but then I'm right back booting it up an hour later. Digital crack.

Looking forward to adding some more of the popular highly rated roguelites to my library on the next steam sale, even though I already have a bunch on my plate.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Can't stop playing Spelunky 2, send help! I sometimes quit to go do something else because I'm super tilted after a few bad deaths or cursed seeds in a row but then I'm right back booting it up an hour later. Digital crack.

Looking forward to adding some more of the popular highly rated roguelites to my library on the next steam sale, even though I already have a bunch on my plate.

Roguelikes have the severest addiction phases of any genre, at least for me. I went through two Spelunky 1 obsessions (regular, and then HD), a Desktop Dungeons obsession, a FTL obsession, a Hand of Fate and then a HoF2 obsession, an Into the Breach obsession, a Hades obsession... and I'm sure I'm leaving out plenty. Pretty much no other genre captures me in such a near-literal way anymore.

vgp

Oct 31, 2017
Interesting and noted; I played Neon Abyss' demo and indeed found it a bit same ol' same ol', so I'll keep an eye on it given your comment.
Some additional thoughts (without spoilers) on neon abyss as you seem interested ;) :
Don't expect the game to be very innovative. Except a great mini game, all the mechanics or items are quite usual for a roguelike.
Where the game shines (and how it hooked me), is about the progression of your weapons during a run. After some time, it is very frequent to finish a run with bullets that cover half of the screen and that is really a great sensation.
Note that you can't save during a run (except early deaths, a run is around 1h)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Some additional thoughts (without spoilers) on neon abyss as you seem interested ;) :
Don't expect the game to be very innovative. Except a great mini game, all the mechanics or items are quite usual for a roguelike.
Where the game shines (and how it hooked me), is about the progression of your weapons during a run. After some time, it is very frequent to finish a run with bullets that cover half of the screen and that is really a great sensation.
Note that you can't save during a run (except early deaths, a run is around 1h)

It did seem like that in the demo now that you mention it; however, getting killer / overpowered builds isn't as much an incentive to me as it is for a lot of roguelike fans (which accounts for why I like e.g. Gungeon more than Isaac), so Neon Abyss probably isn't for me, which is perfectly fine. :)

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Debating... getting Cogmind... It's not on a huge discount but it sounds so cool. But I should really just play Qud and UnReal World more.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Debating... getting Cogmind... It's not on a huge discount but it sounds so cool. But I should really just play Qud and UnReal World more.
Well there's a halloween update thing just out and Cogmind is quite a bit different from CoQ and Unreal World or most roguelikes for that matter. I always say that it's worth trying out, there's a lot to explore and it has easier difficulties if you just want to get a feel for it. It really sucks you in once you start understanding the many interacting systems at play there.

PS. The developer doesn't do lower discounts until the game is officially 1.0 as I understand it.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Well there's a halloween update thing just out and Cogmind is quite a bit different from CoQ and Unreal World or most roguelikes for that matter. I always say that it's worth trying out, there's a lot to explore and it has easier difficulties if you just want to get a feel for it. It really sucks you in once you start understanding the many interacting systems at play there.

PS. The developer doesn't do lower discounts until the game is officially 1.0 as I understand it.
That's good to know, I may just pull the trigger. I respect the dev sticking to his guns on that, honestly. His blog post about the price is good.

It does seem like a nice shakeup too. I like Qud a lot but it bugs me a little bit how much the early game always feels pretty similar since I always start in Joppa and always do the same early stuff (I know I can start elsewhere, but I'm also still learning and Joppa seems like the easiest start). Would be nice to alternate with something else.

And meanwhile I'm still trying to hunt successfully in UnReal World.

e: Haha I see the dev has a 4 hour video guide to the early game. Incredible.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's good to know, I may just pull the trigger. I respect the dev sticking to his guns on that, honestly. His blog post about the price is good.

It does seem like a nice shakeup too. I like Qud a lot but it bugs me a little bit how much the early game always feels pretty similar since I always start in Joppa and always do the same early stuff (I know I can start elsewhere, but I'm also still learning and Joppa seems like the easiest start). Would be nice to alternate with something else.

And meanwhile I'm still trying to hunt successfully in UnReal World.

e: Haha I see the dev has a 4 hour video guide to the early game. Incredible.
There's also a very friendly Discord with channels for non-spoilery and spoilery questions. Kyzrati (the dev) streams pretty often, showing off new stuff and whatnot, all the vods end up on youtube, as twich has limited space for lowly game devs.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I love how chill roguelike devs usually seem. I feel like they often epitomize people just doing it for the love of game design. Tarn Adams is a legend, the guys from UnReal World have been straight vibing for 28 years, and the Qud guys seem really cool.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh yeah, the story of UnReal World development is pretty crazy, it's like the lowkey Dwarf Fortress, but it's been going on even longer.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have both CoQ and Cogmind, finished both once. Cogmind is more of a spelunky experience where you learn new stuff by revisiting areas and CoQ is more like an adventure, but it's not finished yet so the "end" is still a bit disappointing.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As a free bonus (zombie) survival roguelike, check out Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. It's super in-depth, but in a very different way from UnReal World.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Alright I exchanged emails with the dev after buying Cogmind and I already don't regret this purchase. He seems really nice. Also holy shit the intro of this game. I didn't think ASCII games could be this flashy but I was wrong. Really cool.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I have both CoQ and Cogmind, finished both once. Cogmind is more of a spelunky experience where you learn new stuff by revisiting areas and CoQ is more like an adventure, but it's not finished yet so the "end" is still a bit disappointing.

That's a super apt and insightful way to put it.

Alright I exchanged emails with the dev after buying Cogmind and I already don't regret this purchase. He seems really nice. Also holy shit the intro of this game. I didn't think ASCII games could be this flashy but I was wrong. Really cool.

Yup, next level ASCII stuff. It's what originally got me excited because it's clear he's talented. I'm a number of releases behind now, which is something I should probably rectify!

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Yup, next level ASCII stuff. It's what originally got me excited because it's clear he's talented. I'm a number of releases behind now, which is something I should probably rectify!
The ability to instantly swap between tileset and ASCII is awesome too. I've always been one of those people who's shied away from ASCII games, but this seems like the perfect way to get used to it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I love how chill roguelike devs usually seem. I feel like they often epitomize people just doing it for the love of game design. Tarn Adams is a legend, the guys from UnReal World have been straight vibing for 28 years, and the Qud guys seem really cool.

As someone making a roguelite, I can only assume nobody is in it for the money, hahah. Rogues in general tend to have a relatively small but very dedicated fanbase, which makes it the perfect genre to make games and then engage with your fans, but not so much to make money off.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Great to hear, he's super active and very approachable. If you end up liking the game, his current aim is to up the Steam review count.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Great to hear, he's super active and very approachable. If you end up liking the game, his current aim is to up the Steam review count.
Good to know, will do. Honestly from only playing an hour the UX design alone sets it above from almost any other roguelike I've played. It looks super overwhelming in screenshots, but it's by far the most intuitive and easy to learn trad roguelike I've played from a controls standpoint. Feels like one of the few that has put a lot of thought into how users will interact with the game.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know, will do. Honestly from only playing an hour the UX design alone sets it above from almost any other roguelike I've played. It looks super overwhelming in screenshots, but it's by far the most intuitive and easy to learn trad roguelike I've played from a controls standpoint. Feels like one of the few that has put a lot of thought into how users will interact with the game.
Cogmind is one of the most user-friendly and newcomer-accessible roguelikes for that reason. Like if I wanted to introduce someone to the genre: Brogue, Cogmind, Dungeons of Dredmor, Spelunky, Hades

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Combining traditional roguelike mechanics with a great UX is a very nice combination and his visuals go above and beyond. Also check out the manual for some of the in-depth mechanics, it goes really deep.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Been playing Risk of Rain 2 with friends this week after sleeping on it for so long, such a fun game, just feels so nice to play.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Finally bought Binding of Isaac on Steam. Not sure if I should jump right in or wait for the final DLC to hit.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Been playing Risk of Rain 2 with friends this week after sleeping on it for so long, such a fun game, just feels so nice to play.
Did they ever add a save and resume or anything? The gameplay of that game is super good, and it's really cool how they translated RoR1 into 3D, but the runs are sooo lonnng.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
You're gonna feel overwhelmed either way, the game is jam packed with content. No point in waiting if you ask me.
Yeah, plenty to do and any new dlc will simply bring in more.

If you bought it, play it.

You are both right, of course. I was thinking that I don't want to lose interest in the game before the final content is out, but I can always just... Take a break if I feel like I'm burning out lol.