• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty awesome. The interface aesthetic and incredible music (and neat writing) does so much lifting in Qud. It's one of the most genuinely atmospheric games I've played and it's working with the most minimal pieces.

Yeah it is amazing. It is the only game that plays like the classic TSR RPG Gamma World. It's like a mix of Gamma World and Morrowind in tone.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Rogue on Steam

Experience the commercial port of the game that spawned a thousand 'Rogue-likes'. Venture into the Dungeons of Doom in search of the legendary Amulet of Yendor, and hopefully escape with your life! Randomly generated dungeons await you, full of nasty monsters, insidious traps, and glittering loot.

Last edited:

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
store.steampowered.com

Rogue on Steam

Experience the commercial port of the game that spawned a thousand 'Rogue-likes'. Venture into the Dungeons of Doom in search of the legendary Amulet of Yendor, and hopefully escape with your life! Randomly generated dungeons await you, full of nasty monsters, insidious traps, and glittering loot.
Tags: Traditional Roguelike; Roguelike

LOL I guess it's just like Rogue

I'll probably dislike it because what I really enjoy are modern action roguelites with beautiful visuals, but I feel I need to give this a quick play some day just because it's such an important game.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I need a new Sci-Fi roguelike that pulls me in like Sword of the Stars - The Pit.

No game has really done it for me like that one.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

I'll probably dislike it because what I really enjoy are modern action roguelites with beautiful visuals, but I feel I need to give this a quick play some day just because it's such an important game.
I was surprised it wasn't mentioned in the OT

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Only got to play Tobal No. 1 as a kid, but I was addicted to to the Quest Mode. Like I would play it for weeks on end.

Huh, was that my first roguelike and I didn't realize it?

I think everyone plays their first roguelikes without realizing they are. My other two "first roguelikes" were also Japanese PSX games, Azure Dreams and Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon. It seems like the genre was popular enough in Japan at the time to get multiple mainstream releases (several of them from Square, no less).

Orange. Tags: Fruit; Orange-Colored
Pear. Tags: Fruit; Pear-Shaped

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Rogue on Steam

I don't think anyone should give Pixel Games UK money for this. If it's free, that's one thing...but I think these people just bought Epyx's back catalog and are hoping to make a quick buck off it without even really digging into whether the rights to sell the titles are fully cleared. They released the DOS port of Chip's Challenge in September, and it's no longer available for sale—presumably because Niffler and/or the trademark holder took issue.

To be clear, I don't think there's a rights issue with DOS Rogue. I just see this as representative of general shadiness and apathy.

I haven't looked in a long while, but there are free versions/clones of Rogue out there, and the last time I played it it was one of those. The original Unix release was public domain. Here's what looks like a currently-supported Windows port, PWYW: https://oryxdesignlab.itch.io/classic-rogue

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone should give Pixel Games UK money for this. If it's free, that's one thing...but I think these people just bought Epyx's back catalog and are hoping to make a quick buck off it without even really digging into whether the rights to sell the titles are fully cleared. They released the DOS port of Chip's Challenge in September, and it's no longer available for sale—presumably because Niffler and/or the trademark holder took issue.

To be clear, I don't think there's a rights issue with DOS Rogue. I just see this as representative of general shadiness and apathy.

I haven't looked in a long while, but there are free versions/clones of Rogue out there, and the last time I played it it was one of those. The original Unix release was public domain. Here's what looks like a currently-supported Windows port, PWYW: https://oryxdesignlab.itch.io/classic-rogue
Putting this game on Steam is pretty random. Hopefully, they're not stupid enough to charge money for this.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Even with tips here, I die within minutes in Caves of Qud. I tried the rusted wells and I die loading the zone. Also what do numbers on armour/items mean? Like a shield has two numbers.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Tried Cogmind?

#takeadrink
I have played it a little bit but haven't really tried to learn the game.

First run made the mistake of trading my legs for some kind of hover platform without enough energy.

Second run I had a pretty good set up, but messed with a terminal and accidently set off some alarm and got swarmed. Oops.

It's currently on the expensive side and in Early Access, but have you seen/played Jupiter Hell?

I've been keeping track of it. I'll see how it is once it comes out of EA, but Jupiter Hell is far more shallow than what I'm seeking.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I've still got lots of time to spend in Qud, but I'm considering getting UnReal World rn. The fact that it's been in dev since 1992 blows my mind.

Even with tips here, I die within minutes in Caves of Qud. I tried the rusted wells and I die loading the zone. Also what do numbers on armour/items mean? Like a shield has two numbers.
I highly recommend installing the Qud Survival Guide tutorial mod in the workshop (there's also a good guide in the guides section).

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
It's been sitting in my Steam library for years and I've never cracked into it more than a few minutes, it's so daunting to me.
The fact that the game has been in development longer than I have been alive destroys my sense of time. Like I thought Dwarf Fortress had been long in development but what. But hey $8.50 on itch is a pretty good price to die in Finland so I think I'm gonna check it out. I like survival games a lot and always kinda wished more roguelikes went in a survivaly direction since it seems like a natural extension of that style.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm picking up Isaac Rebirth on the next sale, really enjoyed the original back in the day but for some reason never got this one, but now is the time since I'm in a huge roguelite mood.

Are the DLC essential? I've heard mixed things about them, I would probably be fine with just the base game for now and maybe grab the next DLC in the future (supposed to be massive content) but I'm not sure.

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
Recently picked up Heroes of Hammerwatch on the switch. Slow start but liking it so far. Seems like it would be really fun multiplayer, but they (controversially) took out local coop.

Did a search on Era and don't see any mention of it. Anyone here played it yet?

Letters If you're coming from vanilla, Rebirth will keep you going for a long while. Once you've played that a bit you can decide if you want more. (So I'd wait on the DLC)

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Enjoying the base game first for a while until I actually need more content seems like the way to go, thanks!
This has always been my personal problem buying into a game after all the expanded content is out. Like Total Warhammer 2. I got intrigued by it so I bought the base game, but then I also bought TW1 and a bunch of faction packs. I haven't even made it more than a few turns on my first campaign.

Totally off-topic lol

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Definitely helps to watch a video or two, people in this thread pointed me to videos that the dev released showing some early runs that were incredibly helpful.
Reading the manual is a big help as well for some of the more in-depth mechanics that are fun to know, but aren't really noticeable most of the time. Like the nuances between the damage and propulsion types for example.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Reading the manual is a big help as well for some of the more in-depth mechanics that are fun to know, but aren't really noticeable most of the time. Like the nuances between the damage and propulsion types for example.
I'm just now digging into the news on Beta 10 and man this dude is tireless. I think I might hold off until 1.0 given the pace that features are being added or reworked. The new drone system alone sounds nuts.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm just now digging into the news on Beta 10 and man this dude is tireless. I think I might hold off until 1.0 given the pace that features are being added or reworked. The new drone system alone sounds nuts.
I highly recommend getting it now, I don't even know when 1.0 might come out. At least for Cogmind the 1.0 designation is irrelevant, the game has been perfectly ready for at least 2 years now and the updates have just been adding features, options and polish (pretty much Terraria style 1.1, 1.2 etc..). Anything added beyond this point will be extra optional content rather than anything game-changing.

Also it's just really fun to play a while and then come back when there's a big update and see how it adds new options to the already ridiculously rich gameplay.

BTW always good to have a gander at the official roadmap.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I'm picking up Isaac Rebirth on the next sale, really enjoyed the original back in the day but for some reason never got this one, but now is the time since I'm in a huge roguelite mood.

Are the DLC essential? I've heard mixed things about them, I would probably be fine with just the base game for now and maybe grab the next DLC in the future (supposed to be massive content) but I'm not sure.

Get whatever is cheapest, but at least Rebirth.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
Crown Trick is actually fun. On Day 2 and it seems to get a bit harder which is quite nice. Great boss design as well.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I highly recommend getting it now, I don't even know when 1.0 might come out. At least for Cogmind the 1.0 designation is irrelevant, the game has been perfectly ready for at least 2 years now and the updates have just been adding features, options and polish (pretty much Terraria style 1.1, 1.2 etc..). Anything added beyond this point will be extra optional content rather than anything game-changing.

Also it's just really fun to play a while and then come back when there's a big update and see how it adds new options to the already ridiculously rich gameplay.

BTW always good to have a gander at the official roadmap.
Oh for sure, I've had it since I won it from you in this thread ;p

Oh wait garion333 gave it away, but you were there with the tips.

Last edited:

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Drowning in these at the moment. Been playing Heroes of Hammerwatch, Crown Trick, Tangledeep and I, Dracula: Genesis. Can't wait for the latter to get more updates, love the style.

Scourgebringer 1.0 comes out tomorrow as well. Good times.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Oh for sure, I've had it since I won it from you in this thread ;p

Oh wait garion333 gave it away, but you were there with the tips.

giphy.webp

About time to do another giveaway. ;)

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
Drowning in these at the moment. Been playing Heroes of Hammerwatch, Crown Trick, Tangledeep and I, Dracula: Genesis. Can't wait for the latter to get more updates, love the style.

Scourgebringer 1.0 comes out tomorrow as well. Good times.

For me it's Crown Trick, Noita, Spelunky 2, I Dracula, Qud. Then Isaac exp later this year.
Best year for roguelikes but there's simply too much right now!!

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017

Depending on your build you want to slowly gain momentum by starting off in the marshes, building your gear somewhat, leveling and then branching out. Filling out slots that can carry armor is definitely one of the most important things you can do, initially, for pure survivability. Yet, even then, running away should always be your go to tactic of things get hairy.

A tip that has helped me in staring out... wayfaring and lore knowledge are awesome for not constantly getting lost and lowering the chance of getting into a situation you don't won't want to be in. You can actually start in a village that water rites you the wayfaring skill if you have enough rep with the village. This usually involves just doing a quest or two and you'll have it. Then the lore skills are peanuts at their low skill points.

Once your build really gets a hold that's when the game opens up. Just stay away from the jungle and especially the ruins for a while.

-

I personally got really far with a pure Esper build but I alway get too comfortable and die from something stupid. You're never truly godlike in this game (it seems). There's alway bigger fish if you dig deep enough.

Last edited:

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Circling back around on UnReal World: this game rules. Although it shares a lot of the aesthetic and gamefeel of roguelikes, it's really more of a survival game. In fact it's kind of wild how much it predates the modern survival game style, although it's obviously quite a bit more "hardcore" than most. I can't progress in the tutorial right now because I'm still trying to learn how to hunt but even figuring that out is really engaging. Climbing trees to look around, finding tracks, listening out for animals. Great stuff.

I haven't actually found it too hard to learn by RL standards. If you grab this guide and play the game's built-in tutorial you should be okay.

Also worth noting you can play a version of the game that's a few updates behind for free by downloading from the dev's website.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017

Happy for the devs, a shame that the Sseth review also meant a bunch of trolls invading their forum.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crown Trick was very good but not really a post game or optional content, like a children of morta experience. great gameplay in both cases though.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
Circling back around on UnReal World: this game rules. Although it shares a lot of the aesthetic and gamefeel of roguelikes, it's really more of a survival game. In fact it's kind of wild how much it predates the modern survival game style, although it's obviously quite a bit more "hardcore" than most. I can't progress in the tutorial right now because I'm still trying to learn how to hunt but even figuring that out is really engaging. Climbing trees to look around, finding tracks, listening out for animals. Great stuff.

I haven't actually found it too hard to learn by RL standards. If you grab this guide and play the game's built-in tutorial you should be okay.

Also worth noting you can play a version of the game that's a few updates behind for free by downloading from the dev's website.
I've been super curious about this one ever since I heard about it on Roguelike Radio. Glad to hear it's fun.