• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
It's not what you're used to with roguelikes as there aren't any levels. You'll be evolving your unit as you progress (you evolve by moving up a floor), but it's more about continually swapping in/out parts as you go. You don't have to kill everything.

Look over the "Survival Tips" section in the manual. My favorite tip is to stick with legs for propulsion in the beginning and avoid wheels. Legs are sturdy enough and don't incur a speed penalty (like treads).

As much as I love explosions, keep in mind that explosions destroy parts on enemies so you'll have less to salvage and use if you blow everyone up explosives. Sucks because explosives do so damn much damage and make for pretty ASCII art stuff.
Thanks. It's fun, I like how it doesn't really incentivize you to just kill everything in every floor. Legs have been helpful to use as well. Now it's just slowly figuring out the other things as I go along.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Noita is sort of a harry potter spelunky. gold drops, tons of experimentation with the environment, shops you can visit. the fireworks can get really...spectacular. i had no idea how detailed the particle system was going to be!

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Waitttt a second. So in Noita, you can add different spells to the slots in the wands. That combines them??? I thought it like sets an order for what spells the wands can do. I'm an idiot haha

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Noita is sort of a harry potter spelunky. gold drops, tons of experimentation with the environment, shops you can visit. the fireworks can get really...spectacular. i had no idea how detailed the particle system was going to be!

I think what I had to adjust to, was that I wasn't expecting it to be so much of a 2d shooter.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Waitttt a second. So in Noita, you can add different spells to the slots in the wands. That combines them??? I thought it like sets an order for what spells the wands can do. I'm an idiot haha

I'm not sure, it might only be the sequence - but that lets you setup interesting combos. there do seem to be some modifiers, but its not clear how they're applied.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I went on Steam tonight and Crying Suns was recommended to me. Clicked on the store page and the dev is doing a playthrough (didn't know Steam had this option). Looks like a more beautiful version of FTL, but with different combat mechanic. I'm really in love with the aesthetic (aside from the font usage...indie studios really don't pay enough attention to typography). Has anyone played/liked this? Is the combat realtime-with-pause? Some of the reviews said replayability is not great, which seems odd for a roguelike.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went on Steam tonight and Crying Suns was recommended to me. Clicked on the store page and the dev is doing a playthrough (didn't know Steam had this option). Looks like a more beautiful version of FTL, but with different combat mechanic. I'm really in love with the aesthetic (aside from the font usage...indie studios really don't pay enough attention to typography). Has anyone played/liked this? Is the combat realtime-with-pause? Some of the reviews said replayability is not great, which seems odd for a roguelike.

There is a demo on its store page i believe

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I actually wrote about the demo (and yep, there's one) a couple pages back:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/roguelike-embrace-the-dnmroa.37180/post-24725612

Frankly, I loved it, but reportedly it doesn't scale well to the full game, and I can see how (people cite repetitiveness and relative ease). I guess that's the thing with roguelikes in general; it's so hard to tell if the game you're playing during the first hour will bloom into something wonderful that will entertain you for months, or fizzle after a couple hours.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I actually wrote about the demo (and yep, there's one) a couple pages back:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/roguelike-embrace-the-dnmroa.37180/post-24725612

Frankly, I loved it, but reportedly it doesn't scale well to the full game, and I can see how (people cite repetitiveness and relative ease). I guess that's the thing with roguelikes in general; it's so hard to tell if the game you're playing during the first hour will bloom into something wonderful that will entertain you for months, or fizzle after a couple hours.

Ah thanks, that sounds promising. But I agree and that's why I didn't download the demo. Looking at the roadmap they posted it sounds like they want to flesh things out quite a bit and add more replayability in the next few months. Not that $25 is expensive, but I'd be more inclined to roll the dice on it now and hope they improve upon it down the road if they had an introductory sale. I'll put it on my wishlist at least.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Ah thanks, that sounds promising. But I agree and that's why I didn't download the demo. Looking at the roadmap they posted it sounds like they want to flesh things out quite a bit and add more replayability in the next few months.

That's pretty awesome to hear. Frankly the presentation is amazing and the core gameplay is solid, and worth giving the demo a try. If they can flesh out and add variety to it, it can become one of the truly great.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand how Caves of Qud has almost 3x the reviews Cogmind has. They're both good, but Cogmind is such a fresh and polished take on the genre with so much content.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how Caves of Qud has almost 3x the reviews Cogmind has. They're both good, but Cogmind is such a fresh and polished take on the genre with so much content.
I think I might be weirdly well-positioned to answer this. Of all my friends who play a video game on a nightly basis, many of them have at least spent a couple hours in Qud, and exactly one of them has spent any time in Cogmind. I, also, have spent a good amount of time with Qud but have not touched Cogmind, so in my ignorance I am probably exactly the kind of person who is responsible for Qud having 3x the number of reviews.

I'm sure that Cogmind is an incredible game, I've heard only good things, but here's my stab at why this is the case.
Things that got me and others to pick Qud up:
  • Immediately interesting narrative conceit.
  • Strong sense that that narrative conceit actually comes up in interesting ways in the course of gameplay—cool faction stuff, cool procgen storytelling, narratively-meaningful consequences for player actions.
  • Mutations seem both conceptually cool and like they produce fun, interesting gameplay situations.
  • Character generation seemed extremely fun and compelling.
  • Very nice, chill, attractive aesthetic.
  • I saw screenshots and stories about the game that piqued my interest.
Things that probably worked against Cogmind for myself and others:
  • No real sense of what it's about. I think you're a robot in a robot dungeon? Nothing to really sink my teeth in there.
  • I know that the game involves, like, taking parts from enemies and equipping them yourself. That sounds very fun in terms of gameplay, but conceptually, narratively, it isn't really as compelling as e.g. Qud's mutation wackiness, or the time travel stuff, or evil twin stuff, or befriending the scion of a kingdom of snails or whatever. Swapping my gun for someone else's doesn't really get my imagination racing on its own.
  • The aesthetic looks 'cool' but kind of harsh and alienating in a way that doesn't make me want to spend time with the game.
  • I have had zero idea what is going on in every Cogmind screenshot I've seen.
  • This is a big one and maybe a hard one to communicate: Among all the people I know, only one person is really invested in 'roguelikes' as a genre. Like, that one person will pick up a game solely because it is a roguelike. For the rest of us, I think there are a lot of roguelikes that we like, but the mere fact of something being a roguelike isn't inherently a value-add for us. Accordingly, even though I've heard a few times that Cogmind works as a new take on the genre, that isn't really a strong sell for me—I'm not invested in 'the roguelike genre', I just want to play a game that I'll enjoy. The degree to which a game breaks from the roguelike mold isn't a consideration for me as much as the stuff I talk about above.

Again, I'm sure Cogmind is incredible, I've heard only good things, I'm sure that I'll pick it up someday when I'm in the mood and have an absolute blast. As someone who has one toe dipped into Roguelike World, though, Qud has found a kind of breakout name recognition among people I know in a way that not many other contemporary roguelikes have, I think.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Caves of Qud has been in development for over a decade, right? It just has had more time to exist.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think I might be weirdly well-positioned to answer this. Of all my friends who play a video game on a nightly basis, many of them have at least spent a couple hours in Qud, and exactly one of them has spent any time in Cogmind. I, also, have spent a good amount of time with Qud but have not touched Cogmind, so in my ignorance I am probably exactly the kind of person who is responsible for Qud having 3x the number of reviews.

I'm sure that Cogmind is an incredible game, I've heard only good things, but here's my stab at why this is the case.
  • Strong sense that that narrative conceit actually comes up in interesting ways in the course of gameplay—cool faction stuff, cool procgen storytelling, narratively-meaningful consequences for player actions.
  • Mutations seem both conceptually cool and like they produce fun, interesting gameplay situations.
  • No real sense of what it's about. I think you're a robot in a robot dungeon? Nothing to really sink my teeth in there.
  • I know that the game involves, like, taking parts from enemies and equipping them yourself. That sounds very fun in terms of gameplay, but conceptually, narratively, it isn't really as compelling as e.g. Qud's mutation wackiness, or the time travel stuff, or evil twin stuff, or befriending the scion of a kingdom of snails or whatever. Swapping my gun for someone else's doesn't really get my imagination racing on its own.
  • The aesthetic looks 'cool' but kind of harsh and alienating in a way that doesn't make me want to spend time with the game.
  • This is a big one and maybe a hard one to communicate: Among all the people I know, only one person is really invested in 'roguelikes' as a genre. Like, that one person will pick up a game solely because it is a roguelike. For the rest of us, I think there are a lot of roguelikes that we like, but the mere fact of something being a roguelike isn't inherently a value-add for us. Accordingly, even though I've heard a few times that Cogmind works as a new take on the genre, that isn't really a strong sell for me—I'm not invested in 'the roguelike genre', I just want to play a game that I'll enjoy. The degree to which a game breaks from the roguelike mold isn't a consideration for me as much as the stuff I talk about above.

Again, I'm sure Cogmind is incredible, I've heard only good things, I'm sure that I'll pick it up someday when I'm in the mood and have an absolute blast. As someone who has one toe dipped into Roguelike World, though, Qud has found a kind of breakout name recognition among people I know in a way that not many other contemporary roguelikes have, I think.
Thank you for the insightful post, a lot of it makes sense. I think Qud has done a great job bringing more modern RPG elements to roguelikes and making the experience more front-loaded, which is kind of necessary for roguelikes because that's where you spend the majority of the playtime.

Cogmind is much more back-loaded, you need to get a few floors in to get bits and pieces of the story and to really open up the options in terms of gameplay. It is also very systems-driven, which I love, but without getting super into it, the systems themselves are not very transparent in their workings. What I really love about it, is that you can become a wizard(programmer), a sneaky rogue, a heavy hitting melee barbarian, an archer or any combination of those. When you really begin to understand the systems in the game, it really is the Matrix moment where you can already guess what a particular bot's role is and how it's going to act in response to your actions and use that to your advantage.

Watching the developer play it (and fail hilariously every now and then) helps get a feel for the wider possibilities, but obviously shouldn't be necessary to get into the game.

Caves of Qud has been in development for over a decade, right? It just has had more time to exist.
I guess that is also a good point.

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
Leaving some love for one of my favorite genres.

Anyone who loved Tales of Maj'eyal have any recommendations for games with the same feel?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

I think based on why you like Qud, Cogmind would really click with you:

- The game is very systems-driven, with each faction of robot having unique AI and interacting with you, the world, and other robots in various ways. You're not a warrior crawling through a static dungeon; you're part of a mechanical ecosystem that you can manipulate and use to your advantage. Cleaners and repair bots tidy after your battles, reinforcements came from garrisons that you can hack into and mess with their allegiances, enemies can be hacked, etc

- There's a lot of well-written sci-fi storytelling to be found from terminals. Not as narratively-focused or integrated as Qud, but much more so than a lot of other roguelikes

- Literally building your character offers a lot of strategic and tactical depth, from various movement types to heat and energy management, cloaking and armor, scanners, melee and ranged weapons, energy versus ballistic, and so on. Hacking, stealth, tanky brawler, evasive sniper, et al

- Gorgeous ASCII aesthetic. I never liked ASCII art until I played Cogmind. Screenshots may be hard to parse but it's beautiful and vibrant in motion. The power of your weapons and the effects of your scanners/special equipment/etc add a tangible tactile sense of interaction that the bump-dodge style of many roguelikes lack

- Very accessible with many QoL features. What might be Cogmind's greatest strength is that it's designed to ease the player into the genre, without sacrificing the emergent complexity and customization inherent to the genre. I'd say Brogue and Cogmind are the best entries to traditional roguelike design

Last edited:

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think based on why you like Qud, Cogmind would really click with you:

- The game is very systems-driven/with each faction of robot having unique AI and interacting with you, the world, and other robots in various ways. You're not a warrior crawling through a static dungeon; you're part of a mechanical ecosystem that you can manipulate and use to your advantage. Cleaners and repair bots tidy after your battles, reinforcements came from garrisons that you can hack into and mess with their allegiances, enemies can be hacked, etc

- There's a lot of well-written sci-fi storytelling to be found from terminals. Not as narratively-focused or integrated as Qud, but much more so than a lot of other roguelikes

- Literally building your characters offers a lot of strategic and tactical depth, from various movement types to heat and energy management, cloaking and armor, scanners, melee and ranged weapons, energy versus ballistic, and so on. Hacking, stealth, tanks brawler, evasive sniper, et al

- Gorgeous ASCII aesthetic. I never liked ASCII art until I played Cogmind. Screenshots may be hard to parse but it's beautiful and vibrant in motion. The power of your weapons and the effects of your scanners/special equipment/etc add a tangible tactile sense of interaction that the bump-dodge style of many roguelike lack

- Very accessible with many QoL features. What might be Cogmind's greatest strength is that it's designed to ease the player into the genre, without sacrificing the emergent complexity and customization inherent to the genre. I'd say Brogue and Cogmind are the best entries to traditional roguelike desigm,
Plus, the developer is adding difficulty modes in the next patch, for the people who like the idea of roguelikes, but not the patience to replay them 100s of times to see everything:
cogmind_difficulty_selection_unused_mockup.png

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I gave Overland a shot and I just could not get into it. The theme and aesthetic are excellent, but the moment to moment decision making feels kind of lacking. Maybe I'm missing something?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Are there any traditional dungeon crawler roguelikes that folk recommend on the Switch?

No action games or tactics battle games, please. I love Into the Breach but for different reasons.

I enjoyed Quest of Dungeons a bit, but it is a little bland.

I wish we could get Shiren on Switch.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno why I've ignored Cogmind all this time, but I might have to check it out soon. I'll probably wait for the difficulty patch Shodan mentioned above, though.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are there any traditional dungeon crawler roguelikes that folk recommend on the Switch?

No action games or tactics battle games, please. I love Into the Breach but for different reasons.

Unexplored?

I dunno why I've ignored Cogmind all this time, but I might have to check it out soon. I'll probably wait for the difficulty patch Shodan mentioned above, though.
It should be out in ~2 weeks. I hope the developer will enjoy some positive feedback on the difficulty setting expansion, it was apparently not an easy decision.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Shodan14 Unexplored was interesting but the user interface is really miserable. Probably the worst UX I've seen on a game in years.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017

Tangledeep

Yodanji and DragonFangZ for the bill but neither were particularly memorable to me.

Switch is amazing for roguelites, not likes, unfortunately.

Last edited:

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
You better come back and tell us how awesome it is when you've played it.
Nice! Enjoy!

Yup yup. Hopefully it's a good fit for ya.
Well I finally had some free time and got my first run in, and I gotta say, this game is right up my alley. I was initially surprised that it throws so much weaponry at you from the start, but it quickly became clear that you have to be a careful with what you equip and how you dispatch enemies.

I brute forced my way through about 5 levels before finally getting overwhelmed. 1 run and 12 achievements later, and I can safely say this game is absolutely for me and I intend to put some serious time into it. Looking forward to getting a better grasp of the systems, I'm a big fan of the ecosystem they've built here.

Thanks again, garion333!!

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well I finally had some free time and got my first run in, and I gotta say, this game is right up my alley. I was initially surprised that it throws so much weaponry at you from the start, but it quickly became clear that you have to be a careful with what you equip and how you dispatch enemies.

I brute forced my way through about 5 levels before finally getting overwhelmed. 1 run and 12 achievements later, and I can safely say this game is absolutely for me and I intend to put some serious time into it. Looking forward to getting a better grasp of the systems, I'm a big fan of the ecosystem they've built here.

Glad you're enjoying it. A big tip for being stealthier is to get a melee weapon and just cut your way through walls to avoid the bigger hallways.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Glad you're enjoying it. A big tip for being stealthier is to get a melee weapon and just cut your way through walls to avoid the bigger hallways.
I was literally just immediately shooting every enemy I came across with both weapons lol. Probably didn't help my survivability.

I'll give stealth a shot next time, thanks!

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was literally just immediately shooting every enemy I came across with both weapons lol. Probably didn't help my survivability.

I'll give stealth a shot next time, thanks!
You can totally do brute force as well, but you have to get in and out of floors pretty quickly.

But you can literally switch between tiles and ASCII on the fly in Cogmind:

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm interested in both, but Cogmind just seems to be something much more unique. I finally picked it up today, since I've wanted to get back into an actual roguelike.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't realize that but I still think CoQ appears to be more readable based on the store page alone, these sorts of games are difficult to sell to people that haven't played something similar.
Sure, CoQ has much more obvious RPG elements and lets you play at your own pace. In Cogmind there are very few occasions where you can take your time on a floor.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

Sure, CoQ has much more obvious RPG elements and lets you play at your own pace. In Cogmind there are very few occasions where you can take your time on a floor.

It's true, but there are times where you can take your time and soak in some of the story bits. But so very true, it's mostly a "how the hell do I stay alive??" game.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Ferris Bueller More_Badass

you're aware you can experiment and edit your wand spells right? mix and match different elements, create your own projectiles.

I created a giga black hole wand and...i don't what happened next. Everything died, myself included xD
I just realized last night that you can swap attributes between wands in your inventory, not just add perks you've found/bought

...I thought you could only add new perks, not change perks between wands.

That kind of changes everything

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not sure if you'd prefer discovering stuff on your own, but the developer has a massive (nearly 4 hours) tutorial on the early game. I'm watching it now, though it starts off incredibly basic, just going over the interface.

Looks like they also have a ton of videos showing off a variety of runs with different builds.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Played a run of Cogmind (about an hour, only got to level 3 I think) and wasn't really blown away, but it wasn't entirely uninteresting or anything like that either, so I'll definitely give it some more hours. I'll try a couple of more runs before checking out the above video.

Out of curiosity also booted up CoQ and was immediately reminded how much of a chore playing it with a tenkeyless keyboard can be and uninstalled it after 5 minutes. It also made me appreciate Cogmind's simple and approachable mouse controls a LOT more.

e: Starting to see some really intriguing terminal entries like Solar War and Project Seraph, but they're all red so I'm not even gonna try accessing them yet lol. Wasn't initially that interested in the lore, but now I'm really looking forward to finding out what's going on.

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Check out the previous page of this thread. Several people, including myself, have posted their impressions there.

Here's a link to mine:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/roguelike-embrace-the-dnmroa.37180/page-7#post-24788674

TLDR: If you like FTL, absolutely try the Crying Suns demo.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Played a run of Cogmind (about an hour, only got to level 3 I think) and wasn't really blown away, but it wasn't entirely uninteresting or anything like that either, so I'll definitely give it some more hours. I'll try a couple of more runs before checking out the above video.

Out of curiosity also booted up CoQ and was immediately reminded how much of a chore playing it with a tenkeyless keyboard can be and uninstalled it after 5 minutes. It also made me appreciate Cogmind's simple and approachable mouse controls a LOT more.

e: Starting to see some really intriguing terminal entries like Solar War and Project Seraph, but they're all red so I'm not even gonna try accessing them yet lol. Wasn't initially that interested in the lore, but now I'm really looking forward to finding out what's going on.
Oh yeah, there's a lot of fun stuff you can do with terminals (and the other types of accessible machines). There are also different levels of all machines (you can tell by the size or if you access them there's a level in the readout as well) and the higher level ones have more interesting stuff, but are also harder to hack.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Out of curiosity, are the different bots, factions, everyone's AI routines and purposes etc. actually explained anywhere in-game (terminal entries, for example) in Cogmind or is all that left for me to figure out by myself?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Out of curiosity, are the different bots, factions, everyone's AI routines and purposes etc. actually explained anywhere in-game (terminal entries, for example) in Cogmind or is all that left for me to figure out by myself?
Kind of, with factions you mostly find out about it by meeting them though. If you can, grab a signal interpreter and keep an eye on the exits you take. Not all exits out of a level take you to the same place, there are branches.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of, with factions you mostly find out about it by meeting them though. If you can, grab a signal interpreter and keep an eye on the exits you take. Not all exits out of a level take you to the same place, there are branches.

Got it.

Really starting to get into this game now. It doesn't really seem to have the emergent storytelling element that I usually look for in games like this, but it definitely makes up for it with mechanical depth and the gameplay. It feels great to play and I really just love how simple and intuitive the UI is and how great the mouse controls are.

I'll stick with Dwarf Fortress whenever I feel like witnessing violent, random hilarity ensuing, but I can definitely see myself putting much more hours into Cogmind than probably any other roguelike when I feel like actually playing a roguelike.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Got it.

Really starting to get into this game now. It doesn't really seem to have the emergent storytelling element that I usually look for in games like this, but it definitely makes up for it with mechanical depth and the gameplay. It feels great to play and I really just love how simple and intuitive the UI is and how great the mouse controls are.

I'll stick with Dwarf Fortress whenever I feel like witnessing violent, random hilarity ensuing, but I can definitely see myself putting much more hours into Cogmind than probably any other roguelike when I feel like actually playing a roguelike.
Glad, you're getting into it, Cogmind is a very slow burn, but the depth of the mechanics and content is worth it.

There are also a few elements that stay between runs (beyond the lore entries) and once you get to that it'll open up more gameplay options as well. As a more general tip, make sure you read all the descriptions of weapons and items, some have specific mechanics associated with it. For example piercing weapons get a damage multiplier if you move up to 3 squares in a line before attacking with it.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I played Brogue for a bit yesterday and I was disappointed at how simple the combat was, is it just a very straightforward dungeon crawler?

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, ramming is an actual thing in Cogmind. Since you're a heavy ass robot and all it makes sense.

I played Brogue for a bit yesterday and I was disappointed at how simple the combat was, is it just a very straightforward dungeon crawler?

Baby's first "real" roguelike, yes. It's both great because of how relatively simple it is and also a bit of a negative.