• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
None of the characters are memorable, the villain is a nobody, nothing important happens, the leads' acting is extremely uneven, and the whole story never needed to be told in the first place.
I disagree with nothing important happens. It fixes one of the biggest plotholes of the first movie and tells us why the Death Star has a weakpoint. I also think it does some good things regarding lore and world building. Showing rebels in a more shady/grey way instead of the "good heroes". I really liked the whole tone and atmosphere of the movie.

Oct 25, 2017
It felt contrived that everyone died besides the two leads, who then have a moment together very conveniently.

Also Whitaker's death was dumb

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
I like Rogue One, but admittedly I fell asleep during the beginning in the theater. The second half is friggin fantastic though.
Do people actually fall asleep like this when they're bored for a mere 30 minutes or an hour while a giant loud movie is playing or is this just a jab? If you're falling asleep like this, you need to either get more sleep or see a doctor.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
How can I change your mind on an opinion so wrong it approaches galactic levels? It's a Star Wars story where the characters are all bland and uninteresting. Where the characters don't really have any arcs. A film where you can barely remember the supporting characters names after it's over. I criticize TFA for being a nostalgia fest, but RO is essentially the cinematic equivalent of taking your Star Wars toys out of the box and smashing them together.

It's well shot though, I'll give it that. It looks very nice.

Reporting in.
ugh.

YALL ENJOYED A MOVIE ABOUT A 1MPH SLOW SPEED RANGEWAR WITH SPACE SHIPS LOBBING BOMB AT ANOTHER SHIP IN THE DUMBEST SCI FI SEQUENCE EVER RECORDED.

opinion is not valid here.

Rogue One was a good star wars entry. All of the other ones are horrible. THe prequels were better than TLJ/all the other hogwash.

Jul 18, 2018
I enjoyed Rogue One more than Force Awakens because it was at least something new and i really liked the atmosphere instead of the campy one in TFA

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i didn't give two shits about any of the characters, except maybe Galen.

really good looking film though

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rogue One is the epitome of style over substance. It is a very cool looking movie with absolutely nothing happening under the surface.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
I only really liked the last thirty minutes. Solo is more consistent over the course of the whole film, and I kind of prefer it to RO. Solo isn't really that good either, though.

The droid in RO is just worse ripoff HK-47 with less memes, and that was my favorite character in the film.

Mads Mikkelsen also felt very underutilized.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with nothing important happens. It fixes one of the biggest plotholes of the first movie and tells us why the Death Star has a weakpoint. I also think it does some good things regarding lore and world building. Showing rebels in a more shady/grey way instead of the "good heroes". I really liked the whole tone and atmosphere of the movie.
But that wasn't a really a plot hole. like there's been plenty of things that have weak points that are super obvious when you think about it.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you my fellow! I'm not that fan of SW but that would be my choice. Maybe changing ESB with Rogue One depending on my mood.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. It's probably my 'most watchable' Star Wars movie. If it's on, I'll watch it. I love everything about it, the tone probably most of all.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I really enjoyed it and the last act was among the best pacing in any of the franchise

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I loved it! It starts a little slow, at least for me but I think its a fantastic movie.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I agree with you 100% but you're about to get dragged to hell and back. I liked Pokemon XY and dislike the story of Pokemon BW but that's an absolute sin in the Pokemon fandom. Let's ignore the fact that I think BW are good games but focus on the fact that I think N is a boring character and throw out insults because of it.

It's just how the internet works. People have an incessant need to be right and prove superiority to hear other people tell them they're correct so they can feel good about themselves. Normally I'd tell someone to ignore them but recently I've been so beaten down by all of the negativity that it's hard to get excited about anything I have interest in because someone somewhere is going to tell me I'm wrong for enjoying something and, by extension, a bad person/gamer/whatever.

it's exhausting.

Yasha81

Sep 24, 2019
The movie is trash. They bolted some awesome action scenes onto a safe, generic, and tired story with forgettable characters and limited scope.

People like it because the last act is good, and so that's the impression they leave the theater with.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I can barely stand to watch any other Star Wars movie after having seen Rogue One. It's so much better than any other Star Wars movie, in my opinion, and I think it's ironic just how fresh Rogue One feels, despite it obviously being so dependent on elements of A New Hope. Plus, I went into Rogue One blind, and when I realized what story they were telling, I was immediately impressed, as I knew that none of the main good characters were coming out of it alive. I love the risks it takes.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
ugh.

YALL ENJOYED A MOVIE ABOUT A 1MPH SLOW SPEED RANGEWAR WITH SPACE SHIPS LOBBING BOMB AT ANOTHER SHIP IN THE DUMBEST SCI FI SEQUENCE EVER RECORDED.

opinion is not valid here.

Rogue One was a good star wars entry. All of the other ones are horrible. THe prequels were better than TLJ/all the other hogwash.

Yes?

I fail to see how the premise is bad. I also enjoyed a film where the main hero sat on a swamp planet the whole film debating the philosophical nature of existence and morality. A film's quality is not denoted by the amount of "big events" that happen, the plot advancing is not something that is a barometer of quality. ESB advances the overall plot forward a grand total of one-inch, it's still the best SW film.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The last act is great. Everything before that is a mess that doesn't make any sense and with none of the characters being good in any way

That's exactly how I feel. You just see the BTS clusterfuck in every scene in the the first two acts. The only reason you don't in the climax is because it was entirely redone and reshot by Ron Howard.

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
It's right there with Phantom Menace as one of the most boring Star Wars movies.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Director Orson Krennic is my favorite Imperial leader. There, I said it!

tenor.gif

Also I love the bit of the Rogue Squadron game is in this track:

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
That movie made the Death Star legit menacing. Incredible effects work that truly sold the scale and power of it.

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if its the best next to ESB but I really liked it. Much more than I thought I would and more than the Sequel trilogy so far. Krennic is a surprisingly great villain for a sniveling middle management imperial goon.

Yes, there is that unfortunate GCI Tarkin and most of the squad could be totally removed from the movie without anything being lost but I dug it.

Also, watching the OT ships in fantastic GCI but with more "realistic" camera shots like this make my inner SW nerd swoon...

DefiantDiscreteBlueshark-size_restricted.gif

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Waste of time with nothing characters. Some nice space scenes at the end that don't involve any of the main characters of the movie.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film, followed closely by Empire Strikes Back.

But Rogue One is fantastic, as is The Force Awakens.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Aside from Forrest Whitaker being misused and mediocre Leia CG, I really enjoyed the film. Loved the tone and tenor of the film. Really fleshes out how desperate the situation really was in ANH.

Great movie. For me, near the top.

My current order, with the top 3 moving based on my mood:

ESB ~ TLJ ~ ANH > RO > TFA > ROTJ >>>> SOLO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BBQ shit spread on biscuits >>>> Prequels.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That isn't a plot hole. Plenty of real life buildings, vehicles and weapons had glaringly obvious flaws that no one noticed or fixed until it was too late. If anything, it shows what a vast bureaucratic mess the empire was that such a design was never noticed or fixed, and also their complete arrogance that a "single one man fighter" could never pose a threat to their superweapon.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if its the best next to ESB but I really liked it. Much more than I thought I would and more than the Sequel trilogy so far. Krennic is a surprisingly great villain for a sniveling middle management imperial goon.

Yes, there is that unfortunate GCI Tarkin and most of the squad could be totally removed from the movie without anything being lost but I dug it.

Also, watching the OT ships in fantastic GCI but with more "realistic" camera shots like this make my inner SW nerd swoon...

DefiantDiscreteBlueshark-size_restricted.gif
Yeah gotta agree that even tho I didn't like the movie, cannot deny the fact the camera angles and stuff was super well done. Did a great job on emphasizing the scale of everything.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It has a good third act, but I can barely remember anything from the first two acts. I don't even remember half the character names.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Do people actually fall asleep like this when they're bored for a mere 30 minutes or an hour while a giant loud movie is playing or is this just a jab? If you're falling asleep like this, you need to either get more sleep or see a doctor.

I'm sorry I offended you by falling asleep to a boring part of a movie at 10PM on a work night.